** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

20/05/2009 Uefa Cup Final - Shaktar vs Werder Bremen

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 20/05/2009 Uefa Cup Final - Shaktar vs Werder Bremen

yes' date=' it is hilarious, SHAKTAR playing the Uefa (EUROPA) cup final in TURKEY...[/quote'] Half of Istanbul is actually part of Europe. ;-) Shaktar [email protected] Shaktar win [email protected] UEFA finals can be crazy affairs with lots of goals...and with Pizarro Bremen still have a very dangerous striker. But like most of you I think Shaktar will win this. Very disciplined team with lots of creative players up front.

I don't know why Shakhtar are being made such strong favourites, other than the obvious. Shakhtar play in an inferior league and can't call on similar quality that Bremen can. No disrespect to Shakhtar, but Bremen in my opinion should be clearer favourites based on their ability and current standing, as German opposition, in European football.
Don't make same mistake ppl did last year with Zenith St. Petersburg in UEFA CUP. You are right to put BL above those in eastern Europe in general but you find in eastern europe countries like Russia or Ukraine few clubs held by rich corporations like Gazprom (Zenith) or particular very rich Oligarchs like Rinat Akhmetov (Shakhtar). They seem to have endless financial resources, don't talk much about economic efficiency or expenses and present "their" clubs as a prestige object, their personal toys like their lear jet or Yacht, only 1 step higher. Their recent activity on transfermarket and other finacial investments in club infrastructure like brand new stadiums (like Shakhtar with Donbass Arena) indicates they won't be a dayfly, follow long term planing and at the end want to be competitive again with traditional european heavy forces like Real, Milan or ManU they used to be only two decades ago. Only thing I can say is, heavy storm is coming from east, really heavy...

Re: 20/05/2009 Uefa Cup Final - Shaktar vs Werder Bremen Shahktar starting 11 are the most offensive line-up they could field tonight and this is a decisive factor to finally give in the very good prices of over2.5 @ 2.08...

Re: 20/05/2009 Uefa Cup Final - Shaktar vs Werder Bremen odds shakhtar to win cup crushed from 2,20 to 1,85 atm @ my local bookie. they made shakhtar from underdog to favorite in just few hours, while no news on team tactics or injuries were announced!!Only Jadson's attendance has been doubtful for shakhtar and was yesterday evening confirmed, not today!! bookies now adjusted odds correctly IMO,but this kind of big delay is not their style at all. hmmmm...:unsure

Re: 20/05/2009 Uefa Cup Final - Shaktar vs Werder Bremen Shakhtar Donetsk: Pyatov, Srna, Kucher, Chigrinsky, Rat, Lewandowski, Fernandinho, Ilsinho, Jadson, Willian, Luiz Adriano. Subs: Khudzamov, Duljaj, Gai, Gladkyy, Ischenko, Chyzhov, Moreno. Werder Bremen: Wiese, Fritz, Prodl, Naldo, Boenisch, Niemeyer, Frings, Baumann, Ozil, Pizarro, Rosenberg. Subs: Vander, Pasanen, Tosic, Vranjes, Hunt, Tziolis, Harnik. Referee: Luis Medina Cantalejo (Spain)

Re: 20/05/2009 Uefa Cup Final - Shaktar vs Werder Bremen You never know quite how teams are going to react to such a big night. Neither teams are the shining lights, but dont forget that Shaktar couldnt beat a Sporting team to second place on the Champions Group stages, a team which later went on to get absolutely spanked by another German team in the knockout round.Granted Munich are better than Bremen, but they are still going to lose the league title to Wolfsburg this season. 3 pts Werder Bremen 15/8 Blue Square 1 pt Bremen/Bremen 4/1 Paddy Power 0.5 pts Bremen 3-0 35/1 Paddy Power

Re: 20/05/2009 Uefa Cup Final - Shaktar vs Werder Bremen i guess this should be a close one. both teams to score or a high scoring draw are possible. i love the odds around @14 for bremen to win after penalty shootout. donezk sure are perhaps better in touch and have some quality in their squad, but so has bremen. although diego isnt playing today, özil can be a good substitute for him. as i said before, i do not really like the 3-way and try the juicy odds @14 for a bit of tention......

Re: 20/05/2009 Uefa Cup Final - Shaktar vs Werder Bremen Betting against a German side in a final :loon Missing Diego could be a blessing in disguise for the Germans, will set up with a solid, machine/robotic like midfield, set out to stiffel all of Shaktars creativity. I can see a very tight, tense final with Bremen sneaking it 1-0. The 2.4 on Bremen picking up more bookings looks appealing too.

Marseille play attractive attacking football and Shaktar beat them home AND away!
No they don't. In my opinon Shahktar haven't played a team that are capable of truly great offensive football.....and my point was to illustrate that Ukraine are ranked 22nd in European football, whilst Germany are ranked 4th, so there is a clear gap in quality. I'm also not a fan of Eastern European football. Too workmanlike, not enough skill from the European games I've witnessed. Anyway, the game is half way over, so we shall see.

Well i was on Shaktar at 20/1 e/w for this 1/2 place 1/2 odds so i'm VERY happy Shaktar are here! Shaktar have a very talented squad and have been under rated throughout the competition due to prejudice about being in a 'small league' and having been so far behind Dynamo in the league, something like 12 points? But we must remember that this team is made up of extremely talented South Americans whos ideal conditions is surely not the cold of Ukraine and they have been producing their pure football more in Europe where they are more climated to. Shaktar have a multi-millionaire owner and he has assembled a pretty expensive side by any standards and looking at individuals it shouldn't be that big of a surprise that they have arrived here. Meanwhile Werder, a team that has been relying on the brilliance of one player, Diego, throughout most of the competition Scored in the dying stages at home to Milan in the last 32 to give them hope for the 2nd leg Scored away to Udinese in the 1/4s Scored at home to Udinese in the 1/4s Got the comback started against Hamburg in the Semis He is their top-goalscorer in this competition on 6 goals and is the creative genius behind their attacks. This guy is suspened for the match alongside their striker who scored two at the weekend, Aleida and their towering German international centre-back Mertesacker has damaged foot ligaments and is near certain to miss out. I think that there is huge value in Shaktar at the odds on offer and may even back them again for the final (yes i'm getting greedy with my ante-post bet waiting on them) Currently 9/5 in StanJames but i don't know what way the betting will go coming up to the time with most people usually betting on the 'bigger name' of Breman so may get even larger odds closer to the final
20/1 e/w shot came in so i'm VERY happy :cow:dude:cow

No they don't. In my opinon Shahktar haven't played a team that are capable of truly great offensive football.....and my point was to illustrate that Ukraine are ranked 22nd in European football, whilst Germany are ranked 4th, so there is a clear gap in quality. I'm also not a fan of Eastern European football. Too workmanlike, not enough skill from the European games I've witnessed. Anyway, the game is half way over, so we shall see.
Think it was the other way round tonight, Bremen knew they missed their creative spark in Diego tonight and played very tight 'workmanlike' football whereas Shaktar played very deep but everytime they got the ball they broke forward in numbers and played with a bit of flair but didn't have much finishing about them. Srna is a world-class player i feel his passing was second to none, Scholes-like only he can still run!

My selections for tonight: Bremen ML 4/10 @2.86 Özil to score anytimer 3/10 @4.33 Both team to score 10/10 @1.75 Shaktar Donezk to not score from a penalty 1/10 @21
-0,5 pts ^^ Donezk was less poor than Bremen should be the right words for tonights match :unsure

Haha wtf? Ukraine may be 22nd because as a whole, they're not a patch on Germany. That, however, in no way signifies that every German club is better than every Ukrainian club, just that the average club is. Shakhtar are one of the best teams in their country and Werder are pretty average in theirs so it matches up rather well. You're right about the clear gap in quality though - there was only one side playing football tonight and that was Shakhtar. Congratulations to Shakhtar Donetsk for being the first Ukrainian side to win the UEFA Cup and deservedly so in my opinion. The tide is indeed turning!

Well, after reading all these posts the bookies must have got things wrong and I hope your selections come off to 'bash the bookies' My own tenpenneth is that it will be a draw after 90 minutes, hence the long odds on both teams. Have a feeling the bookies think this is going to end stalemate after the allotted 90 minutes Too much has been written about a couple of players missing for Werder - this is a Uefa final and in all finals in the modern game personnel are missing through injury or more commonly via suspension, therefore Going for a draw 1-1 2-2 Good luck to all tonight
Well Done Teabag - Good Call on the Draw and CS :clap:clap

betting rules' date=' i bet on under 2 goals in tonights match..does that mean i get my stake back as it was a draw?[/quote'] No. If you bet on UNDER 2 goals you are hoping for 0-0, 1-0 or 0-1. Basically you are saying you backed Under 1.5 Goals. However if you mean you backed Under 2.5 Goals you are on a winner. :ok