** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Snooker: World Championships 2009

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hendry has just had a 147. How this fella can keep it going after all these years is unbeleiveable. The greatest of all time, what a genius :notworthy:notworthy
Pure genius :clap:clap:clap Ronnie might be the most talented to ever pick up a cue, but Hendry is the greatest by a mile. Would love to see him claim another title this year, has a real chance. edit: unless the jester is there of course ;)

Re: Snooker: World Championships 2009 Stunning snooker from Murphy tonight. It's going to take something special for Hendry to turn that defecit around in the morning and I'm more hopeful than confident to be honest. The other bets in this round are going nicely though with Robertson obviously already winning. Unbelievable standard of snooker today. Centuries galore, absolutely fantastic :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy.

Re: Snooker: World Championships 2009 Robertson's long potting is an absolute revelation at present. He is looking so confident just dropping them in dead weight from the baulk cushion, remenisent of Mark Williams at his best and we all know what he has achieved in the game. I don't think I've ever seen the Aussie cue so well its almost impossible for his opponents to get the white safe barring a snooker, he must be right in their with every chance of going all the way if he keeps this up.

Re: Snooker: World Championships 2009 This tournament gets better and better :eek. The standard in the Higgins vs Selby match was so good I wish it was best of 125 not 25 :(. We're in for 2 excellent semi finals I think. One early bet for them for me. 4pts S.Murphy (-1.5 frames) to beat N.Robertson 10/11 Blue Square Shaun Murphy made a shaky start to his world championship campaign but since overcoming Andrew Higginson in the 1st round he's been nothing short of sensational. He totally blew Marco Fu away and then he beat a resurgeant Stephen Hendry in a devastating spell of snooker. Neil Robertson has been brilliant so far in this tournament but he'll have to up his game further yet to live with the Magician on this form. I love watching Neil Robertson. He'd pot them from the back row if he had to he's so good but he could be a bit tighter in his all around game. Murphy has no problems in any area of the game. He's also got the experience of the one table situation at the Crucible and however long Robertson takes to get used to that will be to Murphy's advantage. I honestly don't think anyone in their prime could've touched Murphy in his session against Hendry yesterday and it was only Hendry's class which got him 2 frames. If he sticks in a burst like that in this match he'll not only win it but he'll win it 17-15 or better.

Re: Snooker: World Championships 2009 2 pts Over 4.5 Centuries double on both semi's @ 5/2 Skybet We are running out of superlatives on this thread to describe the quality of the action that has unfolded before our eyes down in Sheffield. All four remaining players are in peak form and I see no reason why the high breaks won't continue to rattle in.

Re: Snooker: World Championships 2009

2 pts Neil Roberson to beat Stephen Maguire @ 13/8 Sportingbet I agree with Kev's summary of this match and was very impressed with Robertson's temprement against Carter. To clinch so many frames when 60+ points behind is no mean feat in anybodys book and although the Aussie has flattered to deceive at times over the past few seasons he really looks zoned in this week. Two fabulously talented natural snooker players can serve up an absolute belter and I'll plump for Robertson at a slightly higher price than his current form merits.
:clap
3pts M.Allen to beat R.Day 11/10 Stan James Mark Allen's win over Ronnie O'Sullivan has without a doubt shortened his price in this match but I still think he's a decent bet to beat Ryan Day. Mark Allen is one of those all or nothing players but he's probably more solid than most of those types. There will be a lot of pressure on Ryan Day's safety in this match and that's not an area of his game where he excels. Mark Allen is reminding me of Shaun Murphy when he won this event. Pots them from everywhere and scores very heavily but isn't the best safety player. Same goes with Day I suppose. Allen played stunning snooker in beating O'Sullivan though and held his nerve well - something I'm still not convinced Day is good at doing - and when this one is done I think it will be the young Northern Irishman who goes into the semis. 4pts M.Selby vs J.Higgins - Over 22.5 Frames Evs Boylesports This match looks the pick of the round on paper and both are such solid, gritty players that I can't see how this can end anything worse than 13-10 either way. Both players have just come through close matches in the last round, both are scoring well and the safety bouts in this match could be something to behold. They are both so well matched that I'd be surprised if either runs away with this. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this ends 13-12 but I do think it will be 13-10 at worst either way so the overs looks good to me. 3pts N.Robertson to win 1st session vs S.Maguire 9/4 Stan James Neil Robertson scored very well against Ali Carter in the last round. It must be said that in many cases he fed off Carter's mistakes or inabilities to get frames won but however the chances come the key is to score when you get them and the Aussie did that. Stephen Maguire has reached the quarter finals quite easily but this is a real step up from Jamie Burnett and Mark King. Although he beat Mark King 13-6, that was quite close for a while before Maguire pulled away. He's not firing on all cylinders still Maguire whereas Robertson is playing well. I was impressed with his safety against Carter and indeed Davis who isn't easy to beat in a tactical battle and although the 4-4 is a live danger, I'll side with Robertson to lead into Wednesday at a decent price.
:clap:clap:clap

Re: Snooker: World Championships 2009 4 pts John Higgins to beat Mark Allen -3.5 @ 10/11 Skybet Having initially decided to leave any outright bets on the two semi's, I can't get away from the fact that i feel Higgins will win this and win it well. Mark Allen has displayed admirable nerve and clearly has the temprement to match his undoubted natural talent. However the bare form of his victories over O'Sullivan and Day is probably not as impressive as it first appears. O'Sullivan was way below his best and is not yet tuned in with his new cue, Day was solid yet unspectacular - definately capable of better. Couple the above with the fact this is Allen's first time in the Crucible one table situation, Higgins' vast experience and imperious ability to produce his best under the most strenuous of circumstances give him a clear advantage. A landline I doubt it will be but at a shade of odds on a 17-14 or better for Higgins looks distinctly probable.

Re: Snooker: World Championships 2009 Not a good last round for me but going to get involved now in the Robertson/Murphy match: Robertson 6/5 lad 10 pts This looks a real 50 50 match to me. The only thing that possibly swayed it in Murphy's favour at the start was the extra experience of this type of match, ie. length of it, one table. However now that Robertson is firmly used to the one table arena, having got out of the first session at 4-4, I believe he can go on from now. He has played much better overall this season from last and has impressed in this championship with his tactical play and not just his awesome long potting. He showed that when beating Carter and Maguire. Murphy has transformed in this event, very poor in round one and lucky he was up against a medicore opponent but superb in general against Fu and Hendry. However he might be a touch annoyed he didnt get out of that session ahead, twice he was ahead yet didnt go on and at 4-4 this match looks very tight just as expected and as of such I think Robertson is at a fair price in a 50 50 clash for me is the call for me.

Re: Snooker: World Championships 2009 One for the final initially. 4pts Over 31 Frames 10/11 Bet365 I think we'll get a pretty close final here. Both players are playing well and unlike last year we haven't got a player making his world final debut. Both these players have been in world finals and indeed won world finals in the past so neither should suffer uncontrollable nerves. Higgins is scoring as well as I've ever seen him score. He had a dodgy spell against Mark Allen but he was so far clear you could understand it while Murphy, who's played solid, heavy scoring snooker all tournament, repelled Neil Robertson's comeback. Higgins will have the edge in the safety game but Murphy counters that with the ability to pot them from anywhere. I can see a really tight, close final which could go 18-17 but however it ends, I think it will be 18-14 at worst either way.

Re: Snooker: World Championships 2009 Robertson had a great comeback going for a while but Murphy finally picked up his game again to seal that semi and leave me -23.5. I was going to play later in this final with the intention of going for Higgins but going now instead as don’t want to risk him doing what he did against Allen here. Higgins 5/6 skyb 10 pts Higgins has a chance here to win his third world title here. It wont be easy at all because in Murphy he is facing a previous champ who, despite a real up and down year full of early exits, then a UK win, before an awful first game here only to play superb stuff in the next two matches albeit slightly scrappy for me in the semi until the death, is in good form and playing well enough. However Higgins is such a difficult player to beat and he has had some massively hard matches this week. Holt was dangerous in round 1 for a while and then Cope and Selby who looked all over Higgins at stages in those games, only for the really terrific battling qualities of Higgins to come through and win matches where many other players would have folded. In the end he was a bit scrappy to beat Allen but he was so far in front after an amazing start to session 2 that really he had the match from that point and probably was already thinking of the final. Murphy couldn’t quite have such a luxury and also has less time for the final which can sometimes not help from the perspective of a quick start. Higgins for me has a real advantage in the safety department between these two and he is the player who has impressed me most this week and I think can become the world champion for a third time.

Higgins has been absolutely magnificent this evening. Some of the best snooker I have ever watched. He really could match anyone on this form.
He was dogshit in the 1st 4 frames, luckily for him though, Murphy was even worse. That said, he's been the best player all tournament and would be a fitting winner but Murphy won't give this up without a fight. Could yet be drama a plenty tomorrow.

Higgins has been absolutely magnificent this evening. Some of the best snooker I have ever watched. He really could match anyone on this form.
I didnt think it was anywhere near as good as I've seen Higgins in the past. Bar a couple of frames its been a pretty poor final, both players look very very tired. Will be nice to see Higgins win it again though, hes been the 2nd best player in the world for the last 10 years for me and deserves a couple more world titles to his name.

Re: Snooker: World Championships 2009 I think the last two or three frames of last nights session was excellent from Higgins' point of view. He missed very little and the 128 break was outstanding! Quite a poor standard of play this afternoon but Higgins can't and won't lost it tonight! :ok

Re: Snooker: World Championships 2009 What a fantastic tournament this one has been. Absolutely brilliant standard from start to finish and it ends with a truly fitting champion. Not the best tournament for me betting wise but I still finish with a small 2.02pt profit but despite that I've enjoyed this tournament as much as any other :clap:clap.

Re: Snooker: World Championships 2009 Higgins is possibly the best tactician the game has ever seen, I dont like them dwelling on it though as he is also one of tne great break builders and match players, he is certainly in the top 3 players I've ever had the pleasure of watching. Dont know what we are going to do about snooker mind, viewing figures are down bigtime again this year and the sport is literally dying on its arse :( They could do worse than call for Barry Hearn and see what advice he can give them when you look at what he has done with darts.