Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 Having called the Kolkata game perfectly it was pretty annoying to see Taylor take the game away like that but it was a superb knock so fair play to him. Back to +12.14 for the competition now. Just going with a top bat for tomorrow. 1pt ew D.Smith Top Deccan Batsman 7/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Dwayne Smith top scored in the 1st game between these two when he smashed an excellent 48 off just 28 deliveries and I think he can produce something similar when these two meet here in Durban. He comes into this match in really good form having top scored against Rajasthan last time out and although Deccan have some big players in their batting lineup it could well take someone down the order to come in and up the rate against Delhi's so called lesser bowlers. Only Andrew Symonds can score as quickly as Smith when he gets going and if Delhi can get rid of the openers quickly I think Smith can repeat Monday's feat. At the very worst I think he'll make the top 3 so he looks a good ew bet to nothing.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009

Deccan Vs Delhi Deccan to score most 6's @ 10/11 Think it could be a hard one to pick the match winner, but if things pan out, Deccan at least have the batsman to score alot of Maximums. Smith & Gilchrist are very dangerous, throw in Suman, Symonds and Rohit Sharma, the potential is fair. If Sehwag returns must hope he's not at his 6hitting best, AB, Warner and Dilshan are all capable of big shots, but think Deccan have the power here.
Gilchrist and Symonds land the moola,:notworthy:beer close thing though 7-6 to Deccan

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 Bangalore Vs Chennai Despite Ross Taylors 6 hitting exploits dont think(with the exception of Boucher) the rest a capable of of hitting many maximums,compared to Chennai who possess the might of Hayden, Raina, Dhoni, Morkel/Oram - who as we've seen can all hit the ball a long way. Chennai to Score most 6's @ 5/6 Mumbai VS Rajasthan Reports are that Shane Warne will miss out due to injury, if he does expect Smith to assume the Captaincy, big loss if Warne doesn't play, It was pleasing to see Bravo get a score the other night, Tendulkar and Jayasuriya are sublime player as is JP Duminy, but its encouraging that Bravo took his promotion up the order really well. Still not overly convinced by Rajasthan's batting line-up either, Malinga, Harbajhan will get able support from Kulkarni, Bravo and Duminy, who bowled really well against KXIP taking 2-15 off his 4overs. Mumbai Win @8/11

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 Nice work Mr Wong. Nothing from Smith yesterday so back to +10.14 for the comp. Playing both matches today. As I've mentioned I'm not a huge odds on backer in twenty20 matches but I like both favourites today. 4pts Chennai to beat Bangalore 8/13 Coral Chennai Super Kings come into this match in superb form having won their last 5 matches in this competition and they know a win here will seal a semi final spot for them. The pressure is right on Bangalore who could be effectively out if they lose this with the two sides in 4th and 5th playing in the late game. Chennai seem to have the complete side. They bat deep and have a solid if sometimes expensive bowling attack. Matthew Hayden and Suresh Raina have been terrific in this tournament with the bat and with Oram and Morkel yet to do anything of real note with the bat Chennai will be confident. Murali hasn't taken as many wickets as people would think but he's been tight while Albie Morkel has picked up wickets opening the bowling. Chennai stumbled on Shadab Jakati but he's been a big success. Bangalore won't change too much from their last match. Praveen Kumar could come in but apart from that it'll be the same side which stole victory away from Kolkata. Ross Taylor was awesome in that game but he won't play another innings like that for as long as he's got a hole up his arse. Kallis and Ryder put on a few but Ryder has generally been a failure in this event with the bat. Bangalore have a good bowling attack but even that could struggle against the power and quality of this Chennai batting lineup. Chennai look the better of the two sides to me and I think they'll win this albeit at a skinny price. 3pts Mumbai to beat Rajasthan 8/11 Stan James Mumbai have finally got going again after a mid season wobble and a lot of that has been down to their spinners finding some form. Dwayne Bravo opening has been a success and you'd think it's only a matter of time until Sanath Jayasuriya goes mad. Sachin's been a bit quiet recently too and he'll want a big score as well. Rajasthan look like being without Shane Warne in this game which is a huge loss although the advantage is it will free up an overseas spot. That could be filled by Tyron Henderson but as I've said before I don't think he's quite at this level really although to be fair to him he hasn't had too many chances to prove me wrong. This Rajasthan batting lineup keeps misfiring and while I expect that to change at some point with the quality they possess, I'm not sure it will be against Malinga, Harbhajan, Bravo and co. I like Mumbai here. They are the more consistent in both facets of the game and with Bravo and Duminy in such good form and Malinga looking deadly at the end I'll side with the Indians to take 3rd place here.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 +22.4 so far: Chennai to beat Mumbai 8/11 boy 10 pts Going for Chennai in this game. Chennai were a real form team in this having won 5 straight at one point. However they suffered a slightly surpising reversal lto against Banagalore where they had a batting collapse when their much vaunted middle order flopped. However Im not too willing that the likes of Dhoni, Morkel and Oram will too often, these guys are match winners and are complimented by the quality looking base of leading runscorer Hayden and the classy Raina. Despite their last game, I much prefer Chennai's batting line up to Mumbai who are developing the reputation of the chokers of comp, apart from Kolkata of course. The fact they have been moving Sanath and Sachin around too the middle order at times suggests they are worried about their middle order depth somewhat. Duminy a class player and Bravo can play some good knocks after that but not a whole lot to rely on after that and that partly explains some of the bad collapses from winning positions that Mumbai have had in this. I like Chennai to bounce back form their thur. loss better than Mumbai in this game.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 A couple for me in the 1st game today. Can't believe how Thursday ended but that's cricket, and twenty20 cricket especially! Just +3.14 now. 3pts Mumbai to beat Chennai 6/5 Bet365 These two both suffered disastrous batting collapses on Thursday to deny themselves victory but at least Mumbai can claim they were batting under lights. To be fair to Chennai their top 3 have been superb in this tournament with the bat and I'm always impressed with Dhoni's captaincy but if the openers go early there's been a tendency to collapse, as we saw on Thursday. Mumbai's problems could be coming from too much batting order change. For me, they need to get Tendulkar in 1st so that he can bat as long as possible. Chennai probably have the more powerful batting lineup but Bravo, Jayasuriya, Duminy and Nayar would argue that strongly. One thing that can't be argued is Mumbai's bowling attack is better, especially if Bravo can find his straps again. Zaheer Khan could well come back for this match and he's very good against Hayden who is Chennai's main man. Lasith Malinga is as close to deadly at the death as they come while Harbhajan has started to find some form. Dhoni has Murali to choose from and Albie Morkel has been going well but the other bowlers are hittable. Mumbai beat Chennai very convincingly in the opening match of this 2nd IPL and while this one could be a bit closer with the extra pressure of qualification in the player's minds, I still expect Mumbai to come out on top in a game they must win to stay alive in the tournament. 1pt ew A.Nayar Top Mumbai Batsman 10/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Abhishek Nayar is in excellent form with the bat. He's a big hitting left hander who's heroics on Thursday almost saw his team home. He was the 2nd highest scorer in the reverse fixture between these two when only a Sachin Tendulkar half century denied him the top spot. He batted 6 on that occasion but with Mumbai swapping their openers about in recent games looking for a powerful start, I can see them shoving Nayar right up the order which would make this 10/1 extremely good value. However he's shown the other day as well as the opening day that he can be in the mix batting down the order so I'll have an ew bet on him in this match.

did anyone see the story about stanjames suspending their 'who will win the toss market' after a couple of people opened new accounts and put 1000 on 3 or 4 IPL matches and they all won....hmm.
I saw that in the Racing Post the other day Mr Wong. I can't really understand it though. I mean how can you know how a coin is going to land :unsure, unless it's a double sided coin of course :loon. But the coin is shown to both captains and an independent referee is always there for the toss as well as dozens of TV related people. Stan James getting paranoid for me. Why would you stick a grand on a 50/50 shot when you're only getting 10/11 in the 1st place though :lol. :\

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 Nayar came 2nd and the game is nicely poised and could go either way. Mumbai's spinners could be the key. 2 for the later game for me too. 3pts Deccan vs Kolkata - 9 or more 6's 6/4 Sportingbet When these two played in their 1st game there were 8 6's in Cape Town despite the scores being 101 vs 103. I fully expect there to be lots of 6's in this match this afternoon. Since that 1st game, Dwayne Smith and Andrew Symonds have come into the Deccan side and are smoking 6's while going into today's action, Adam Gilchrist was the tournaments highest 6 hitter. Kolkata are no mugs in the 6 hitting stakes either. Brendon McCullum came to the party in a big way on Tuesday while David Hussey is another who can hit it big, as can Ganguly and a couple down the order like Agarkar and Yashpal Singh. Neither have watertight bowling lineup's either. Kolkata have the potential to be tight but bowled more full tosses than I've seen before against Bangalore the other day. Boundaries at the Bullring are on the shorter side and the pitch is generally a good one. The altitude makes the ball travel a long way and that should lead towards a few 6's being hit so I'll take the 9 or more in this match. 1pt D.Hussey Top Kolkata Batsman 9/2 Boylesports David Hussey is a mighty fine batsman with oceans of twenty20 experience having played loads of times for Nottinghamshire before twenty20 was taken over by the rest of the world. He showed all his class in a couple of innings for Australia over the winter including here in Johannesburg when he hit an excellent 88 off just 44 balls. He played his 1st game of the season for Kolkata against Bangalore and looked good in making his 43 from 27 balls. On a ground where he's gone well before and in a batting lineup which isn't great, 9/2 is a decent price and well worthy of a bet with him likely to bat at number 3/4.

good call with Nayar and the 6's by the way mate:clap and unlucky with Hussey top scorer bet.
Cheers mate. Thought Hussey was going to sneak it on the line but it wasn't to be. +1.5pt profit for the day though and up to +4.64 for the tournament which is a bit better. I'm going with 2 tomorrow, both in the 1st match. 3pts Kings XI to beat Deccan Chargers 11/10 Totesport This is a big match in the race for the semi final spots. Kings XI in 6th play 3rd placed Deccan. Should Deccan win then they will be almost assured of a semi final spot while if the Kings XI win then they'll go 4th and will be right in the mix with a game to play. Kings XI haven't been in great form but they managed to beat Delhi in comfortable style last time out and they're not expected to make any changes to the side which won that game. With the bat, Sohal, Katich and Sangakkara are in good form with Yuvraj able to explode at any time while Brett Lee has spiced up a bowling attack which Sreesanth and Pathan are starting to perform well in. Deccan will be coming into this match less than 24hrs after beating Kolkata in a last ball thriller. They are set to be unchanged but they could decide to bring Dwayne Smith back into the side. Adam Gilchrist and Andrew Symonds are in good nick while Rohit Sharma will be full of confidence having won yesterday's epic with the bat. Deccan's bowling is fairly weak but Sharma and usually RP Singh are tight and take wickets despite Sharma being a clear part time bowler. Deccan will need to get up for this game very quickly after what was sure to be a mentally draining game but for me their bowling attack leaks too many runs. Kings XI's attack is much better than earlier in the tournament and with their batsmen in good nick I think they can extend their 100% record over the Chargers to 4 wins from 4 matches. 3pts 10 or more 6's 5/4 Sportingbet This match, like Deccan's match yesterday is taking place in the Bullring in Johannesburg. As I said in yesterday's game the conditions favour 6 hitting. Short boundaries, good pitch and altitude all equates to 6's, even more so in a day game such as this. When these two met in the reverse fixture in Kimberley there were no less than 16 6's and I expect double figures again here with both sides boasting some of the bigger hitting batsmen in the tournament.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 Kings XI won but there was only 7 6's. +0.30 for the day so up to +4.94 for the competition. Going with a top bat tomorrow. 2pts M.Hayden Top Chennai Batsman 5/2 Coral Matthew Hayden smashed a superb 89 off just 58 balls the last time he played at Centurion. That was against the Kings XI Punjab and he comes back to Supersport Park and faces a weak bowling attack with the odd exception. Hayden is looking as dominating as I've ever seen him and he's walking down the wicket to everyone which shows he's bang on with confidence. Hayden has 546 runs in this tournament at an average of over 50 and that's with no less than 5 half centuries :eek. Suresh Raina and MS Dhoni have gone well in this competition too but Hayden opens so will be ahead of those two when they come in should he bat any period of time and with the form the Aussie is in he's well worth taking to top score at 5/2.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 IPL RECORD 3/5 OR +10 PROFIT 20 POINTS ON CHENNAI @ $1.55 For the benefit of Justin and others i will do a right up. This match up has to be one of the easiest one's to pick as it is just simply men vs boys. Hayden and Raina have been on fire so far this ipl with Dhoni as back up with Oram and co form a formidable batting line up. The Kolkata Knight Riders are hopeless winning only 1 match this tourny, infact if it wasn't for Macca and Sharma i would fancy a under 17 team against them! Chennai are the best bet of the tourny for me

IPL RECORD 3/5 OR +10 PROFIT 20 POINTS ON CHENNAI @ $1.55 For the benefit of Justin and others i will do a right up. This match up has to be one of the easiest one's to pick as it is just simply men vs boys. Hayden and Raina have been on fire so far this ipl with Dhoni as back up with Oram and co form a formidable batting line up. The Kolkata Knight Riders are hopeless winning only 1 match this tourny, infact if it wasn't for Macca and Sharma i would fancy a under 17 team against them! Chennai are the best bet of the tourny for me
You've f*cked that right up!

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 A Kolkata win like that was always going to come. Just sods law that it came when I didn't back them. It's another example of why betting at short odds in twenty20 matches isn't the way forward :(.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 Hayden was a N/R so it's as I was going into tomorrow. Nothing I fancy on the match but an overpriced top bat instead. 1pt R.Taylor Top Bangalore Batsman vs Delhi 5/1 Skybet Ross Taylor has top scored in Bangalore's last two matches. We'll all forever remember his powerful hitting against Kolkata but he showed in the last game against Chennai that he can play a normal innings too if you like. It's well known I'm a huge Ross Taylor fan and generally throughout his career he scores his runs in big patches and he looks to be in a purple patch right now. This Bangalore batting lineup still isn't the greatest and it maybe that he doesn't have much to beat but now he's back in form I think he is the one to beat and 5/1 is a massive price so I'm in for a small stake.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 anyone got an opinion on the two matches tommorrow? KKR vs Rajasthan really tough to call, but im tempted to go in with KKR, should be on a high after their last chase,McCullum has hit form with the bat, Hodge has been ultra consistent, Hussey looks a superb addition, Ganguly still has plenty of experience and is due runs. Sharma and Karthik, basically are the key with the ball, it should have been 2/2 for KKR if Mortaza hadn't chucked the game against Deccan, Rajasthan have been hot and cold, Warne has led his players superbly, but if Smith and Pathan fail with the bat they can be rolled over quite easily. KKR win @ Evens.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 I agree mate. Not huge value but that win was coming for ages. I'll get back on the wagon. 3pts Kolkata to beat Rajasthan 11/10 Skybet Kolkata have finally come alive. They should have won the two games before finally getting a win over Chennai last time out. Their batting has clicked and but for a stunning innings and an awful Mortaza over they'd be coming in here off the back of 3 wins. You'd think the only change would be to give Charl Langeveldt a game at last. Kolkata can't really bowl but that's fine because Rajasthan can't bat. Their batting efforts bar one have been awful and if McCullum and Hussey or Hodge get going they'll take this out of reach. Only Warne's brilliance kept Rajasthan in the game when these two met earlier in the season but with no pressure on them I think Kolkata can reverse their fortunes and knock the defending champions out. 3pts Kings XI Punjab to beat Chennai 13/10 Sportingbet The likelihood is Chennai are through win lose or draw here but Kings XI have to win. They've suddenly started to tighten up with the ball which is good because their batting is full of runs. Chennai's is too but they are inconsistent with the ball and rely on part timers a bit too much. Matthew Hayden is sure to come back but you'd think Brett Lee will know how to deal with him. Yuvraj is on his favourite ground off the back of his 2nd hat trick of the tournament and he could just go bonkers here. I don't see a huge amount of difference between these two sides but Kings XI have some momentum coming in and I think they can pull out a result.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 KKR Win :beer:cheers despite early collapse, took evens yesterday evening, checked it before went to bed ,went out to 11/10 :eek, nevermind.:lol KXIP look on course to gun down chennai aswell for you mate.:hope Just see off Murali, Might be tempted to take Delhi on tommorrow aswell.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 It's been a theme of this years IPL where teams chasing seemingly mediocre targets have really struggled. Think the King's XI chase today was the worse of the lot though. Still it all makes for good entertainment

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 As disappointing as that run chase was I still made a profit for the day even though it was only +0.30pt. It puts me up to +4.24 for the competition and I'm going with one tomorrow. 3pts Bangalore to beat Deccan 11/10 William Hill Bangalore are in excellent form at the minute and they are turning into real dark horses in this event. They've won 7 of their last 8 matches and but for a shaky start they'd be leading this field by a furlong. Deccan's form since flying out of the traps has been very inconsistent. These two sides will finish 3rd and 4th but the result of this will decide who plays Chennai in the semis and who tackles Delhi. Both sides could rest a few but I don't see that happening really for the sake of one game. Momentum is key in this format and Bangalore certainly won't want theirs interrupted. Bangalore have found some serious batting form in recent matches and they've not just won games recently, they've won them easily. Deccan are struggling a bit and even when they are winning it's very tight. Kumar and Kumble have been rock solid for the Challengers and another decent performance from them here should be good enough for Bangalore to win this.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 Nice call with Bangalore mate.:clap Right, semi final time, Delhi Vs Deccan this could be a cracker, im swaying Delhi's way, purely because the batsman have all hit form, Sehwag blasted a confidence boosting 50 today, Gambhir got runs also, AB and Dilshan have been solid throughout the competition and Manhas/Kartik have contributed when required. Deccan need Gibbs/Gilchrist to get them off to a flyer, im not overly impressed with the middle/lower order, Symonds and Rohit Sharma are good players but their isn't much after that. Think Delhi have the more balanced attack, with the exception of RP Singh dont think the Delhi batsman will be overly concerned. Nehra and Nannes have been a solid opening pair, although Mishra needs to step up tommorrow.Think DD are more likely to handle a close finish better than DC. Delhi Daredevils @ 8/11

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 Cheers mate. +3.30 for the day so up to +7.54 for the tournament matches now but +2.54 overall with the outrights all bombing out. Good luck Crouchie with RP Singh. If he can pick up a couple tomorrow then the job's a goodun I think :ok. I'm with you tomorrow Mr Wong. 4pts Delhi to beat Deccan 8/11 Stan James Delhi Daredevils won the league phase of this competition at a canter really. Deccan looked like they would push them all the way by the way they flew out of the traps but they've been very inconsistent recently. A point exercised by their loss to Bangalore on Thursday. Delhi have already beaten Deccan fairly comfortably in both of their meetings this season and I fancy them to make it 3. They've got a batting lineup who are in top form and their bowling is generally tight. They leaked a few yesterday but I don't see that being a problem. Deccan's bowling isn't the best but their batting is fairly strong although in saying that they rely a lot on the top 2. Delhi's batting can die on it's arse under pressure but with them all in good nick I'd expect someone to get them a score which they can win this with so it's the league leaders for me.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 Couldn't be less impressed with Delhi if I tried there but you can't argue with Gilchrist's innings. -1.46 now. 3pts Bangalore to beat Chennai 5/4 Coral This looks like a fairly close battle to me now that Bangalore have found some scoring power. In fact if their batting was a touch more reliable then I'd have them favourites for this match based on their bowling attack which is the better of the two sides for me. The likes of Kumble, Kumar and van der Merwe have been economical and lucrative in terms of wickets. Ross Taylor and Jacques Kallis have found their scoring boots while Pandey's century in the last game should have filled the Royal Challengers full of confidence. Chennai have been very inconsistent recently. They seem to be on a win one lose one sequence at the minute and this match is due to be a loss. Matthew Hayden and Suresh Raina are pivotal to their chances as they have scored so many runs that the rest haven't spent a lot of time at the crease. Murali aside though their bowling attack is hittable. Raina has surprised there but with Taylor and Boucher being power hitters down the order it will take nerves of steel to bowl him late on. Bangalore beat Chennai in their last meeting so they can do it and if their bowlers perform how they have then I fancy their batsmen to get enough runs on this featherbed Bullring wicket and I'll take the outsiders here.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2009 Well my outright on DD looked good after the group stages but they underperformed yesterday although with Gilchrist in amazing form, even if they had turned up it would have been hard. The good part of Gilchrist's knock is that he looks in great shape for a place in top runscorer market and DC top runscorer although catching Hayden might be too much. Chennai to beat Bangalore 8/11 tote 10 pts Two form teams here in the main. Bangalore's form is arguably better given they have won an impressive 7/9 and four straight, unlike CSK. However Chennai's form in the second part of the IPL has been good as well, 7 wins from 9 too and that should not have been forgotten. Even the games they have lost in that period, one was agaisnt KKR where they still scored a huge total and were not necessarily bang up for that game with a semi spot not secure but safe enough in realistic terms. What I like about them is their hugely powerful batting order which can destroy even good bowling line ups. Hayden who should be back, Raina, Dhoni, Oram and Morkel all can be matchwinners and for me that is greater firepower than RCB. To counter that RCB have the slightly better bowling line up but CSK still have such a class act like Murali and performers like Morkel, Oram and surprise package Raina, who shouldnt be underestimated. For all that RCB's bowling has been good, they are arguably one bowler short at timesand often mix and match for that extra bowler and if CSK fire, that could be fatal. CSK have just that little bit more firepower and also the crucial experience of winning a semi from last year, Chennai for me.