** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Cricket: West Indies vs England ODI Series & Twenty20 International

Re: Cricket: West Indies vs England ODI Series & Twenty20 International Thats a complete farce of a way to 'end' a game of cricket. Would have been a brilliantly tense finish that as well. Perhaps Dyson is already the England coach :loon I cant understand how he would get it wrong. The only thing I can think of is that maybe he thought when that dumb WI unknown umpire signalled a six for some reason earlier in the innings when it should have been a four and there seemed some sort of confusion as to how he changed his signal, that the umpire didnt change his signal and WI had 2 runs more than they actually had. Anyway what a way for England to win their first game of the winter.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: West Indies vs England ODI Series & Twenty20 International I can't believe that. The only time the West Indies were ever in danger of losing that match was when they were in the changing room. Even if they had played the game out they'd have won easily. Absolutely coasting when Chanderpaul and Pollard were in. Still it should bring about some decent prices for the next game. The end coupled with the Gayle dismissal made for a pretty horrible night when it should've been a very good one. -8.50 for the game and -3.41 for the series but I'm confident that'll get turned round on Sunday.

Re: Cricket: West Indies vs England ODI Series & Twenty20 International

Why should they? Windies needed 27 to win off 22 balls with three wickets left and two new batsmen at the crease in those conditions, unlikely they would of got them.
In today's cricketing world, that gets chased down at least 8 times out of 10 and probably more than that. Both those guys could bat and anything less than 9 an over in the last 5 overs of a one day match and the batting side is always favourites. To answer the original question, some might as a publicity stunt but they've no obligation to. Those of us who back the Windies were just extremely unlucky.

In today's cricketing world, that gets chased down at least 8 times out of 10 and probably more than that. Both those guys could bat and anything less than 9 an over in the last 5 overs of a one day match and the batting side is always favourites. To answer the original question, some might as a publicity stunt but they've no obligation to. Those of us who back the Windies were just extremely unlucky.
It might get chased down usually but last night the WI were more concerned about light than winning the game... If they had played out the game I don't think they would have won because of they were scared of the dark! :lol

Re: Cricket: West Indies vs England ODI Series & Twenty20 International If they knew they were behind on D/L they'd have chased that down all day long. They never looked in any trouble at any stage of the innings. At the very worst they'd have got it into a position where they were ahead when they were next offered it. Agree about them playing normal cricket and being ahead but had the game been played out in full they would have won.

Kev, I do not agree with that under those conditions.

Kev' date=' I do not agree with that under those conditions.[/quote'] It's a game of opinions I suppose but unless you are in Guyana, you won't know how the conditions were because a TV camera never shows how conditions are. One thing we do know is that Kieron Pollard cracked a sublime cover drive for 4 the ball before he got out playing another expansive shot. He got out 4 balls before Ramdin did so he was obviously seeing it fine. West Indies tried to take advantage of a situation and it backfired on them. Had they batted on, they'd have won the game all day long :ok.

How you can say that with two new guys at the crease having yet to face a ball is beyond me' date=' they were clearly struggling before they went off, 7 wickets down.[/quote'] We're talking 2009 cricket not 1999. Batsmen don't play themselves in these days. They don't need to. Since twenty20 came into play 9 an over has been a piece of piss all day long. 7 an over last night would've been exactly the same.

Re: Cricket: West Indies vs England ODI Series & Twenty20 International Just got home from Guyana. :$ True what you say we don't know how dark it was, I was just going by what people were saying. Yes I know, but is there not every chance that england would of taken the three wickets? I think there was a strong possibility. Like you say its all about opinions. Anyway onto the next ODI. :ok

If they knew they were behind on D/L they'd have chased that down all day long. They never looked in any trouble at any stage of the innings. At the very worst they'd have got it into a position where they were ahead when they were next offered it. Agree about them playing normal cricket and being ahead but had the game been played out in full they would have won.
We are all disagreeing this morning, lol... I don't think WI were in complete control until Harmison conceded 26 runs in 1 over, after that they should have won comfortably.

Re: Cricket: West Indies vs England ODI Series & Twenty20 International Even then though mate, they needed 88 off 66 with 4 overs of a powerplay to come and 7 wickets in hand. Again, since twenty20 came into play the batting side is favourite there all day long. Despite what the commentators were saying, the only way England were going to defend 270 in the end was to bowl West Indies out and for much of the innings they never looked like taking wickets, and when they did get wickets it was Windies giving them away rather than good bowling. West Indies set their stall out to set it up for their hitters down the order and had done a perfectly good job. Of course we'll never know exactly what would have happened but as I said earlier, 27 from 22 with 3 wickets left in today's world gets chased down at least 8 times out of 10.

Re: Cricket: West Indies vs England ODI Series & Twenty20 International Onto the 2nd ODI. It's at the same ground as the 1st one. Careful about start times as this one could start 30 minutes earlier than advertised. 3 for me. 7pts West Indies to win 2nd ODI Evs Blue Square After controlling the whole of the 1st ODI, a monumental cock up cost West Indies the game so they'll be hoping to bounce straight back here. England have finally got a win on the board on this tour but you'd have to say it's a very hollow one. This game is at the same ground as the 1st game but I'm not sure whether it's the same wicket. Both sides could well make one change. West Indies should bring in Lionel Baker to replace Daren Powell who is just dogshit really as I found out to my cost at Lords when he had a Hampshire shirt on :sad. England may well decide Amjad Khan is a better option than Steve Harmison after all although having seen these wickets they could play Adil Rashid but this is England so that's unlikely. This ground is perfect for West Indies. Their bowling attack is ideal for it with lots of medium pacers and a couple of quality spinners. England's attack looked mundane in the 1st game and why Bopara didn't bowl is anyone's guess. Windies were well on course to chase 270 down comfortably with Gayle and Bravo barely facing a delivery. You wouldn't expect those two to keep failing so I fancy West Indies to level the series. 4pts P.Collingwood's Performance Pts 38&Over 8/11 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Once again Paul Collingwood has got a line lower than 40 and once again I think it need to be taken. This wicket is ideal for him. No pace so he can nudge and nurdle his runs with the occasional chip over the in-field included and then it's perfect for his dibbly dobblies when he's bowling. He'll probably be the target of a couple of catches as well and it's hard to see Collingwood not cover this total in some shape or form. 4pts West Indies most 6's 11/10 Stan James So far in 70 overs against this West Indian attack England have hit one 6. West Indies have won the 6's match on both occasions and I would expect them to do so again. West Indies have a lot of medium pacers who bowl wicket to wicket and are hard to get away, particularly for 6's. England bowl plenty of pies over 50 overs and the likes of Gayle, Simmons, Bravo and Pollard can all despatch them over the ropes. I'd expect a few more 6's in the game than Friday but when they are totted up I expect more to come from West Indian bats than English ones.

Re: Cricket: West Indies vs England ODI Series & Twenty20 International Great write ups Kev. Agree that Evs is massive for the WI and they should make up for the faux pas of Friday. Similarly, Collingwood is a great 1 day player IMO and, after a decent game on Friday, I'd have expected this line to be a bit higher:ok Good luck tomorrow.

Great write ups Kev. Agree that Evs is massive for the WI and they should make up for the faux pas of Friday. Similarly, Collingwood is a great 1 day player IMO and, after a decent game on Friday, I'd have expected this line to be a bit higher:ok Good luck tomorrow.
Cheers mate. Edited the price on Collingwood. 8/11 not 5/6 :$. Even so the line is way too low as you say. Just made up 89pts on this ground 2 days ago :lol. I'd have had it at least 41, probably 44-45 I think. Light won't be a problem in this one because they will either start earlier or use floodlights so we don't need to worry about an Aussie misreading a piece of paper ;).

Re: Cricket: West Indies vs England ODI Series & Twenty20 International +7 after the first ODI 5pts D.Bravo's Performance Pts 40 & Over evens Bet365 Points: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket Bravo is a very useful cricketer in every department, he took two wickets in the first ODI and also took two catches. He was disappointing with the bat only scoring 1 run, has an average of 23 in ODI's. He has taken 100 wickets and 39 catches, if he plays his normal game here he will cover this total.

Re: Cricket: West Indies vs England ODI Series & Twenty20 International West Indies evens blusq 10 pts Well I was on WI in the first game and haven’t seen a reason to change my mind after the farce of Friday. WI for what its worth on Friday imo played poorly in parts in fact thats kind. Their bowling was atrocious early on. How any team can give away 20+ wides in an ODI is beyond me. I thought their bowling attacking in this format and given they have Sammy and Bravo (maybe not 100% yet) would improve from the test arena but thats before I banked on Powell making a return. Anyway Powell may be dropped now and not before time. As for the run chase on fri I felt early on WI could have been a bit more aggressive but I still felt at the same time had an element of control given the wickets in hand they had on a pitch that actually wasn’t worsening as the Sky mob were making out it would and knowing they had their hitters to come against Eng weaker bowling. After the 26 over they were on top and but for the over concern with the light I reckon would have that game. At the time the play was stopped Eng were back in it again although it has to be said they could bowl Anderson and Broad through but that was as much as anything because the WI stopped playing in their minds before they actually stopped playing. However given all that WI still were only 1 run behind and thats despite playing what I consider poor cricket at times especially given all the wides. Eng just seem to hardly to ever want to use the power plays and even when they were going at 5 an over just about in the first couple of power plays, that was down to the wides as much as anything. The final power play they looked unfit for and the WI showed exactly what they can do in the corresponding situation with 26 in an over. For the rest of the 35 overs England were pretty good with the bat but until they start winning power plays they are continually going to struggle in this format. Unless the outcome of Fri has raised Eng hugely and dampened the WI, Im going for the WI again in this game.

+7 after the first ODI 5pts D.Bravo's Performance Pts 40 & Over evens Bet365 Points: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket Bravo is a very useful cricketer in every department, he took two wickets in the first ODI and also took two catches. He was disappointing with the bat only scoring 1 run, has an average of 23 in ODI's. He has taken 100 wickets and 39 catches, if he plays his normal game here he will cover this total.
Bravo more than covers that, +12 after two. GL all on the Windies, nice shout with Collingwood again Kev, didn't perform with the bat but done enough with the ball. :ok

Re: Cricket: West Indies vs England ODI Series & Twenty20 International This is turning into an excellent thread which bodes well for the quality summer of cricket to come. Well done all :clap:clap. Full house for me today which equates to +14.31pts which puts be up to +10.90pts for the series. Would've been +24.90 but for an imbecile not being able to read right but I'll still take +10.90. 3rd ODI is on Friday, from Barbados.

Flintoff is a massive boost but Englands problems are far more deep rooted than just him. Dont understand how we can be faves for this :unsure
Me neither mate. Then again I couldn't understand how we were favourites for the 1st two matches either :lol:lol. England have 3 massive problems to my mind. Barring the odd exception, we can't bat, we can't bowl and we can't field. Apart from that we're spot on :loon.