** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

UEFA Cup Thu 12/3

Thursday 12 March 2009 Home Draw Away bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
CSKA Moscow v Shakhtar (17:00GMT) 1.90 3.65 4.90 100.19 % Details »
Hide « CSKA Moscow v Shakhtar
Dynamo Kyiv v Metalist Kharkiv (17:00GMT) 1.90 3.65 5.10 99.39 % Details »
Hide « Dynamo Kyiv v Metalist Kharkiv
Hamburger SV v Galatasaray (17:00GMT) 1.81 3.75 5.40 100.43 % Details »
Hide « Hamburger SV v Galatasaray
PSG v Braga (19:15GMT) 1.84 3.60 5.60 99.98 % Details »
Hide « PSG v Braga
Werder Bremen v Saint-Étienne (19:30GMT) 1.60 4.20 7.00 100.60 % Details »
Hide « Werder Bremen v Saint-Étienne
Manchester City v AaB (19:45GMT) 1.60 4.20 7.00 100.60 % Details »
Hide « Manchester City v AaB
Marseille v Ajax (19:45GMT) 1.83 3.75 5.10 100.82 % Details »
Hide « Marseille v Ajax
Udinese v Zenit (19:45GMT) 2.50 3.40 3.20 100.66 % Details »
Hide « Udinese v Zenit

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: UEFA Cup Thu 12/3

for me under 2,5 goals is by far the best choice for Metalist- Kiev match. Can't even remember to see such a great defense like Metalist for years in UEFa Cup. Both teams know each other from domestic league, so we won't see any surprises. Odds are around 1,60, don't offer big value but good combo material.

Re: UEFA Cup Thu 12/3 Manchester City v AaB Pondered this one all week. On paper it should be Man City but AaB are dangerous opposition and they seem to relish playing British sides. Who can tell how Man City will play from one match to the next? It really is, anyones guess....to put down hard earned money on City - there is too much guesswork, therefore... ........ no bet CSKA Moscow v Shakhtar Very impressed with the Muscovites in the last round. A good balanced passing side with good pace to boot. Moscow win

Re: UEFA Cup Thu 12/3 I fancy a treble with CSKA, Dynamo & PSG. CSKA are virtually untouchable at home, even for fellow Eastern European giants Shakhtar Donetsk. They've got a lot of good quality players and should really dominate the game with some ease. Dynamo Kiev are simply better than Metalist. Semin is doing a good job fusing the new academy boys with experienced men and a good tactical approach. Dynamo were victorious at Kharkiv in the league last week - I don't see them struggling to repeat that feat on their own turf. PSG are absolutely flying of late. Whereas Braga have impressed me in the UEFA Cup this year, I think they may finally meet their match in this game. I expect PSG to win by a couple of goals. That said, I do think Braga are capable of scoring. Something like 2-1 or 3-1 comes to mind to set up a very interesting second leg. Incidentally, I also fancy Zenit to win at Udinese. I have no faith in Italian sides nowdays - all other leagues seem to boast sides that can halt them too easily i.e. Metalist, Ajax, and even Lech Poznan (despite them going out). Zenit are still a very good side despite their players lost and Udinese are on a downward spiral. At 2/1 in some bookies, I consider Zenit a cracking price for a punt! Lastly, if you're backing City, beware. City are utterly inept in defence and I can't think of a side (barring Barca/Bayern perhaps!) who have scored more goals in European competition this year than Aalborg. They scored 5 goals in 3 games in their travels in the Champs League and since then they put 6 past Deportivo (3 in Spain). That makes for a very unfortunate combination as I do expect the Danes to score. City are haphazard to bet on at the best of times - I'll stick with 1-1 for this game.

Re: UEFA Cup Thu 12/3 Man City seem to have booked a season ticket traveling to Denmark, and they had their problems against both teams in the previous rounds. Some Celtic fans will probably again remind everyone here how poor Aalborg looked against them, but apart from these two games ( which I only saw highlights of ), the Danes did well in almost every game, showing good skills and spirits in both Man U games, etc. At these odds No bet, though a possible extra effort might be delivered by City in UEFA as last resort to save the season. After all Boro got to the final few years ago.

Re: UEFA Cup Thu 12/3 I don't know why you people fancy CSKA to win. I was watching CSKA match against second squad Aston Villa and they looked pathetic.I don't think Ziko will repeat success of previous coach.Both teams have plenty of brazilians players.The only advantage CSKA have is plastic pitch :rollinJust because they get used to it and it's harder for other teams to play there.That's why Shakhtar rented picth for 3 days so they can get more time to get use to it.I think Draw would be good result for Shakhtar,i don't think they will loose it.And don't forget it's not about CSKA against Shakhtar it's Russia against Ukraine. Dynamo Kiev humiliate Spartak Moscow in CL,now Russia wants to take revenge in UEFA Cup. More team news to follow...

Re: UEFA Cup Thu 12/3 Hello, Does anybody have any info regarding PSG lineup? Are they going to rest players for there game in Ligue 1. I would like to back PSG very much however I do not find any info regarding the lineup :$. Thanks

And don't forget it's not about CSKA against Shakhtar it's Russia against Ukraine. Dynamo Kiev humiliate Spartak Moscow in CL,now Russia wants to take revenge in UEFA Cup.
Revange is more concerns to Ukrainians ) Dynamo Kiev vs Spartak Moscow is huge match from USSR ages. CSKA vs Shakhtar is only match between two friendly teams. Fans are not at oppositing. Good relationship between Eastern Ukraine and Russia. Also presidents Akmetov and Giner are friends. Imo two equal sides. CSKA only with better form and have at rooster two such great playres as Zirkov and Vagner. In waiting of good two games :ok

Revange is more concerns to Ukrainians ) Dynamo Kiev vs Spartak Moscow is huge match from USSR ages. CSKA vs Shakhtar is only match between two friendly teams. Fans are not at oppositing. Good relationship between Eastern Ukraine and Russia. Also presidents Akmetov and Giner are friends. Imo two equal sides. CSKA only with better form and have at rooster two such great playres as Zirkov and Vagner. In waiting of good two games :ok
he he.i always like to read posts on ukrainian and russian websites before and after match:lol Didn't see good relationship there :) Anyway looks like Zyrkov and Vagner are not fully fit but they always say so and at the end you see them scoring. If CSKA will play like they did against Aston Villa then Shakhtar will take at least 1 point there.

Re: UEFA Cup Thu 12/3 Manchester City v Aalborg In my eyes, the best bet here is probably over 2.5 goals. City are missing a few key defenders and Aalborg always look like scoring. Their games in Europe this season have clearly lifted their self-belief and they have learnt to be more cyncial as well as clinical when it comes to converting chances into goals. Just look at how they responded to La Corunas 1-0 lead in Spain. City too are better going foward than defending, although they will have to do without Craig Bellamy tonight. Nevertheless I can see a few goals in this match.

Re: UEFA Cup Thu 12/3 Dynamo Kiev -0.5 Dynamo played Metalist week ago in UPL and won 2-1.Kiev plays fast and attacking football while Metalist slow and defencieve.Looks like Dynamo will play young Kravets and Milevsky up front with Aliev and Ninkovich(?) behind them.Dynamo still have few injured players but their squad is big and they have plenty players to choose from.Home advantage shoud be big plus for them.I don't think we will see many goals.1-0 to Dynamo is good enough.

Re: UEFA Cup Thu 12/3 i'm also definitely on man.city - aalborg overs, or both to score. aalborg has been both scoring and conceding goals galore in the champions league (as someone said, 5 goals in 3 CL travels? that's a LOT, even for much bigger squads), and both games with deportivo have also gone over. i can easily see aalborg scoring at least one on the counters where they're extremely dangerous, possibly even more, and city scoring at least two in front of their fans. it's a clear over for me.

Re: UEFA Cup Thu 12/3 hey guys! small udpate on UDINESE, the only italian team remaining in europe.... Marino confirmed that he will play with the strongest side possible to get a positive result in italy....Handanovic recovered and even Quagliarella should be able to play alongside Di Natale and Pepe in attack. In midfield Asamoah, D'Agostino & Inler will play. i believe that UDINESE can win this game, quality strickers.... two bets for me... Udinese home win and under. And a treble with - CSKA/KIEV/HAMBURG. gd luck all....:ok:hope

Re: UEFA Cup Thu 12/3 Just because Udinese plays with a full strength side, doesn't automaticaly mean they will pick up a positive result. I've watched the UEFA cup games with interest this season and it seems very unpradictable. All the short odds for home teams put me off. Especially Manchester City. They should win, but AAB have showed they are no pushovers. The only team I feel confident in taking is PSG at home to Braga. PSG are in exceptional form in the league, taking 19 points from a possible 21. Braga have Moisés, Paulo Jorge, Tiago and Albert Meyong all out injured and I think we have seen in the last couple of days how ineffective Portugese football has become lately. Werder Bremen should win, but they are in awful form in the German league with no wins in 6, Saint Etienne's form has picked up of late though....with 2 wins, 3 draws and a loss in their last 6 games. You can not rule out Saint Etienne in this game.

The only team I feel confident in taking is PSG at home to Braga. PSG are in exceptional form in the league, taking 19 points from a possible 21. Braga have Moisés, Paulo Jorge, Tiago and Albert Meyong all out injured and I think we have seen in the last couple of days how ineffective Portugese football has become lately.
You probably weren't watching Porto last night :) I'm not betting on Braga here but I'm pretty sure they can give PSG a very good run for their money. They may be in an upward phase in the French league but we all know that domestic form doesn't necessarily translate into European competitions. Braga have caused a lot of people trouble this season, they are the underdogs again and having played among others AC Milan this season (unlucky 1 goal loss at the San Siro) they will not be afraid of playing in Paris. Lots of Portuguese support in the crowd too, Paris being after all the 2nd largest Portuguese city...

Re: UEFA Cup Thu 12/3 FYI: PSG will be without two defenders: M. Sakho & Bourillon. Here a statement from PSG midfielder Clément Chantôme: â€Everyone’s talking about the match against Marseille – it’s the one everyone is waiting for. Our priority is still Ligue 1, where we’re just one point behind the leaders Lyon and we have always said we want to finish as high up the table as possible. But we also know that we could pull off something good in the UEFA Cup. We’re just taking them one match after another, as we’ve done since the start of the season. We know its going to be a tough game against Braga and we’ll have to play well, like we did against Wolfsburg. In Europe, the coach has been rotating the squad around a little. It’s a chance for me to get some more playing time, so its important that we win and keep going. It’s important and fun to get the chance to play football.†PSG manager Le Guen in an interview: Is there a risk the players will be thinking about the weekend’s game against Marseille more than Braga? “Yes because we’re talking about it a lot – we’re also preparing for that game too. But despite that, we’ve shown in the past we know how to concentrate on individual matches. There’ll be loads of people at the Parc, and a great atmosphere. I think that will be a big factor in helping this Thursday." tricky match, home odds are two low IMO, when it's clear Le Guen will rest some players for most important match of season in domestic league against big historical rivals OM at sunday. O/U market also tricky, cos Braga plays defensively away from home, if first leg was in Portugal I would have gone for over 2,5. So NO Bet for me. here full interview with Le Guen regarding this match: http://www.psg.fr/en/article/003001/article/44518/PLG-A-very-solid-team

Re: UEFA Cup Thu 12/3 HSV without Demel, Reinhardt and Atouba, Gravgaard back in team. Gala without suspended Baros, Meira sold to Zenit; Servet Cetin, Murat Akca, Emre Gьngцr and Mehmet Topal are injured. 10-15.000 Gala-fans are expected to be in stadion (57.000) Expected line-ups: Hamburger SV: Rost - Boatang, Gravgaard, Mathijsen, Aogo - Jarolim, Alex Silva - Trochowski, Jansen - Petric, Olic Galatasaray Istanbul: De Sanctis - Savri Sarioglu, Emre Asik, Hakan Balta, Yaman (Erdem) - Baris Цzbek, Ayhan Akman, Mehmet Gьven, Arda Turan - Lincoln - Ьmit Karan <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

PSG: ARMAND Sylvain, CAMARA Zoumana, CEARA Marcos, CHANTOME Clément, CLEMENT Jérémy, EDEL Apoula, GIULY Ludovic, HOARAU Guillaume, KEZMAN Mateja, LANDREAU Mickaël, LUYINDULA Peguy, MABIALA Larrys, MAKELELE Claude, MAKONDA Tripy, PANCRATE Fabrice, ROTHEN Jérôme, SESSEGNON Stéphane, TRAORE Sammy

Marseile: Gardiens : Mandanda, Riou Défenseurs : Bonnart, Taiwo, Hilton, Civelli, Mears, Rodriguez Milieux : Cana, Cheyrou, M'Bami, Kaboré, Zenden, Valbuena, Ben Arfa Attaquants : Niang, Koné, Samassa

Saint-Etienne 1 Jody VIVIANI, 2 Cédric VARRAULT, 7 Dimitri PAYET, 8 Araujo ILAN, 10 Kevin MIRALLAS, 11 Geoffrey DERNIS, 12 Blaise MATUIDI, 16 Jérémie JANOT, 17 Yohan HAUTCOEUR, 18 Bafétimbi GOMIS, 20 Boubacar MANSALY, 21 Mouhamadou DABO, 22 Daisuke MATSUI, 23 David SAUGET, 25 Paulo MACHADO, 26 Moustapha BAYAL, 28 Yohan BENALOUANE, 29 Emmanuel RIVIERE Werder:

Wiese, Vander – Boenisch, Pasanen, Naldo, Baumann, Fritz, Rosenberg, Diego, Hunt, Prödl, Tziolis, Jensen, Frings, Almeida, Pizarro, Niemeyer, Mertesacker Udinese:

Belardi, Handanovic, Koprivec, Coda, Felipe, Domizzi, Pasquale, Sala, Zapata, Asamoah, D’Agostino, Inler, Isla, Obodo, Zimling, Di Natale, Floro Flores, Pepe, Quagliarella, Sanchez. Man-city Vincent Kompany is doubtful for the Uefa Cup tie with Aalborg (toe injury), which means <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />ManchesterCity may be without both first-choice centre-backs. With midfielder Nigel de Jong ineligible, boss Mark Hughes may have to call on Gelson Fernandes and Elano. But Brazilian star Robinho, who missed last week's league win over Aston Villa with an ankle injury, is set to return. Craig Bellamy will be out of action for at least another week because of the knee injury he picked up at West Ham. ManchesterCity (from): Given, Hart, Schmeichel, Richards, Onuoha, Dunne, Bridge, Garrido, Zabaleta, Elano, Caicedo, Ireland, Fernandes, Vassell, Weiss, Robinho, Evans, Bojinov, Logan, Berti.

he he.i always like to read posts on ukrainian and russian websites before and after match:lol Didn't see good relationship there :) Anyway looks like Zyrkov and Vagner are not fully fit but they always say so and at the end you see them scoring. If CSKA will play like they did against Aston Villa then Shakhtar will take at least 1 point there.
seems that i watched other cska than yours, coz cska in moscow against villa was terrific, super form, what are you talking about to mislead people? CSKA and Man City best double of the day good luck :dude

PSG - AJAX X2 draw or win AJAX 8/10 AJAX are to quick for PSG and they will not defend , PSG is not Fiorentina after all , and we are predicting very open game and goals from counter attack. Small bet 5/10 on DRAW also is verry possible outcome
PSG - Braga.. Marseille - Ajax - Bet: under 2.5 1.72 bet365 0-0? I don't see a lot of goals anyway. Ajax don't face PSG but the other french team left in europe that is Marseille. I predict something like before when Ajax played against Fiorentina. Marseille have been a dissapointment in Ligue 1 this season not winning games they should have won. Their striker department suffers from the sell of Djibril Cissé I guess who went to Sunderland.

Re: UEFA Cup Thu 12/3 The UEFA cup competition has reached a stage where the differences between teams are arguably slight. Hence, I believe that betting on favourites (odds below 2.00) lacks value. As I result I have chosen three games tonight where the favourites could lose given their league objectives which I think will take precedence over their UEFA objective. Hamburg - Galatasaray: Galatasaray Win @ 5.25 (William Hill) 5/10 Hamburg is very much in the mix for a CL spot and even the title. However, they have lost their last two games against Wolfsburg (at home) and Gladbach (away). It is imperative that they defeat Cottbus on Sunday, which should be trick since Cottbus still is very much able to avoid relegation and will be looking for some points. I feel Hamburg's roster, both in cmposition and attitude may be affected by this fact. Furthermore, Galata is especially interested in the UEFA competition since the final will be played in Istanbul. Finally, quality wise I don't see a great difference between the teams. PSG - Braga: Braga Win @ 5.50 (Ladbrokes) 5/10 PSG has certainly played some great football recently. However, their Sunday match against Marseille is one of the biggest games of the season given its importance for a CL spot and the title race. This may affect the roster's composition tonight and the overall attitude of the team. Braga has surprised opponents in this competition before and given the circumstances they have a good enough team to walk away with a win against PSG. Marseille - Ajax: Ajax Win @ 4.50 (Ladbrokes) 5/10 Marseille has played well this year generally save two recent home draws that have negatively impacted their chances regarding a CL spot and the title race. Given their very important game against PSG this Sunday I think there is a good chance they may stumble against an Ajax team that isn't really weaker than Marseille overall and may be more focused on the given match.

You probably weren't watching Porto last night :) I'm not betting on Braga here but I'm pretty sure they can give PSG a very good run for their money. They may be in an upward phase in the French league but we all know that domestic form doesn't necessarily translate into European competitions. Braga have caused a lot of people trouble this season, they are the underdogs again and having played among others AC Milan this season (unlucky 1 goal loss at the San Siro) they will not be afraid of playing in Paris. Lots of Portuguese support in the crowd too, Paris being after all the 2nd largest Portuguese city...
No, I didn't. I know that they didn't win though. You are correct about league form ofen not transferring to European competitions, however Braga are still missing several players and they too are still fighting for a respectable league position.

Hamburg - Galatasaray: Galatasaray Win @ 5.25 (William Hill) 5/10 PSG - Braga: Braga Win @ 5.50 (Ladbrokes) 5/10 Marseille - Ajax: Ajax Win @ 4.50 (Ladbrokes) 5/10 Marseille has played well this year generally save two recent home draws that have negatively impacted their chances regarding a CL spot and the title race. Given their very important game against PSG this Sunday I think there is a good chance they may stumble against an Ajax team that isn't really weaker than Marseille overall and may be more focused on the given match.
In Hamburg I don't belive in Galatasaray to win but I sure belive there will be lots of goals in Hamburg so there will be at least 4 goals. Over 3.5 is absolutely worth a stake. In Paris I don't belive in Braga to win. And this is a no bet game. In Marseille only under 2.5 is safe and under 1.5 should not be to bad and well worth a stake.

I don't know why you people fancy CSKA to win. I was watching CSKA match against second squad Aston Villa and they looked pathetic.I don't think Ziko will repeat success of previous coach.Both teams have plenty of brazilians players.The only advantage CSKA have is plastic pitch :rollinJust because they get used to it and it's harder for other teams to play there.That's why Shakhtar rented picth for 3 days so they can get more time to get use to it.I think Draw would be good result for Shakhtar,i don't think they will loose it.And don't forget it's not about CSKA against Shakhtar it's Russia against Ukraine. Dynamo Kiev humiliate Spartak Moscow in CL,now Russia wants to take revenge in UEFA Cup. More team news to follow...
Mahno, will Hubschhman start later? What is his disciplinary record like in domestic football? Any info appreciated.

Re: UEFA Cup Thu 12/3 Man city v AAB - Man City @4/7 Absolute stick on for me, how Aalborg have managed to make it to this round is beyond me, a sensational result it must be said against Deportivo beating them home and away, however it must be said that there were reports coming from the Spanish press that Depor had one eye on trying to reclaim a Champions League spot for next season. I have been far from impressed by Aalborg this season when I have watched them in Europe despite their credible performance in the CL, it would be fair to say that they carried a fair slice of luck to qualify for third spot in a very challenging group. Man City have a very impressive home record at home and in Europe this season and have players all throughout the team who have the ability to rip the danes to shreds. Hughes has stated that unlike other english managers he is treating this competition with the respect it deserves and will send out a full strangth side tonight. 4/7 seems overpriced to me and is something I will be lumping on tonight. GL to all

Re: UEFA Cup Thu 12/3 Hi Mate, Can you please leave some more analysis / reasoning for a selection in this thread in future! Using a statement as "i suggest this one strongly, very well studied bet" is not any value to anybody it is exactly the same as leaving a list of selections and what good does this do for the forum and people wanting information? :ok

this is my unbeatable treble for tonight Man city @1.53 Cska @1.77 Tau Ceramica @1.22 to beat Olympiakos-euroleague basket- i suggest this one strongly, very well studied bet :tongue2 hehe good luck :dude