** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

CL - Tuesday 24 February

Tuesday 24 February 2009Home Draw Away bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Arsenal v Roma (19:45GMT) 1.993.454.60100.98 %
Hide « Arsenal v Roma
Atlético v FC Porto (19:45GMT) 1.963.454.50102.23 %
Hide « Atlético v FC Porto
Inter v Manchester Utd (19:45GMT) 2.643.203.10101.39 %
Hide « Inter v Manchester Utd
Lyon v Barcelona (19:45GMT) 4.203.452.05101.58 %

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: CL - Tuesday 24 February

oddsformat_lbl.gifuk_off2.gifeu_on2.gifus_off2.gif
opennewwin.gif
SortAvBOn.gifSortFavOff.gif
v15.gifv6140.gifv6074.gifv1.gifv6169.gifv6133.gifv6171.gifv6006.gifv6073.gifv2.gifv3.gifv6002.gifv10.gifv6018.gifv502.gifv6001.gifv4.gifv6005.gifv401.gif
chart_off.gifArsenal1.721.64Betfred">1.661.66Boylesports">1.661.721.81.721.751.72Paddy Power">1.721.721.721.661.66Victor Chandler">1.72William Hill">1.661.8Betfair">1.88
chart_off.gifRoma365">2.11.73Betfred">2.12.1Boylesports">2.12.11.922.12Paddy Power">2222.12.1Victor Chandler">2William Hill">2.11.75Betfair">2.02
Best price percentage: 100.9%, bookies only: 103.2%
I cant help thinking that Arsenal are a short price here. Three 0-0 draws on the trot and 4 in our last 7 is no coincidence given the players we have had missing recently, unfortunately that is unlikely to change in time for Tuesdays game. You could say at least we have tightened up at the back but a look at our recent opponents shows they werent the strongest offensively, certainly less of a test than Roma will be. Roma started the season very slowly and I beleive they were even in the relegation spots when they played Chelsea in the group stages? An eyecatching 3-0 win vs Chelsea gave their season a kickstart and they now sit 4th in Serie A. It wont be a surprise to see Roma take a defensive approach on Tuesday - thats what Italian sides tend to do away from home in Europe and considering we have failed to break down West Ham and Sunderland and needed a late 86th minute winner vs Bolton in our last 3 home games, its hard to see us scoring more than once (we havent scored more than once in any of our last 6 homes. a solitary goal for the Italians will put them in the driving seat for the away leg - they are more than capable of that. Hope i'm wrong :hope Roma to Qualify @ 2.1 bet365

Re: CL - Tuesday 24 February Josep Guardiola will be travelling to Lyon with most of his available players. Only the injured Milito, Abidal and Iniesta, as well as Pedro and Jorquera, will remain in Barcelona. full list: Valdés, Pinto, Alves, Sylvinho, Puyol, Víctor Sánchez, Cáceres, Piqué, Márquez, Xavi, Sergio Busquets, Gudjohnsen, Keita, Touré Yaya, Hleb, Messi, Eto’o, Bojan and Henry. (www.fcbarcelona.com) Absence of Abidal is a big blow IMO, he can't play against his former club...

Eyeing Inter to take something at San Siro. Would like to know Man Utd's most likely Starting XI If the mid consists of Ronaldo, Scholes, Carrick, Nani then I'm going to be all over Inter
Id be more worried looking at out defence TM, we have problems at the back with Vidic suspended and Evans out. Still think we will take a good result out of the game though, a 2-1 defeat wouldn't be to bad at all.

Id be more worried looking at out defence TM, we have problems at the back with Vidic suspended and Evans out. Still think we will take a good result out of the game though, a 2-1 defeat wouldn't be to bad at all.
Right I knew Vidic was suspended so I wasn't so sure what the situation was like with Evans and O'Shea. Vidic is going to be absolutely key in the 2nd leg, I can see him annoying the hell out of Ibrahimovic who gets irritated quite easily if things don't go his way. Midfield wise, I think Inter are just a step above Man Utd with Cambiasso, Muntari, Stankovic and Zanetti, this team is extremely physical and far more disciplined than the Inter of past. You will see the fullbacks venturing out so I am intrigued to watch the match up of Evra and Maicon. Rafael needs to becareful here, I'm pretty sure that right side is quite a weaknesss for Utd. Rotation policy on Ronaldo might be taken into effect, i just think Carrick and Scholes are going to be bullied a lot here. Playing a slow tempo with Inter is not a very good idea. Utd must up the ante and divert that slower pace that Mourinho is very well known for. Again mind games seems to be the order so far, but at the price I'm getting for Inter -0.25 @ 2.09 I'm taking my chances on them

Right I knew Vidic was suspended so I wasn't so sure what the situation was like with Evans and O'Shea. Vidic is going to be absolutely key in the 2nd leg, I can see him annoying the hell out of Ibrahimovic who gets irritated quite easily if things don't go his way. Midfield wise, I think Inter are just a step above Man Utd with Cambiasso, Muntari, Stankovic and Zanetti, this team is extremely physical and far more disciplined than the Inter of past. You will see the fullbacks venturing out so I am intrigued to watch the match up of Evra and Maicon. Rafael needs to becareful here, I'm pretty sure that right side is quite a weaknesss for Utd. Rotation policy on Ronaldo might be taken into effect, i just think Carrick and Scholes are going to be bullied a lot here. Playing a slow tempo with Inter is not a very good idea. Utd must up the ante and divert that slower pace that Mourinho is very well known for. Again mind games seems to be the order so far, but at the price I'm getting for Inter -0.25 @ 2.09 I'm taking my chances on them
I wouldn't put you off Inter but I think you have to take into account aswell just how well United are playing at the minute, you only have to look at the other team in England and see how they are struggling, is it because United are just a class above everyone else or the other teams are to inconsistent? I watched bits of Inter v AC the other week and yeah they look a good side but nothing that makes me think we will be outplayed. Ferguson sometimes comes up with interesting team selections for big games so don't be surprised to see Fletcher start in midfield, a solid player.

I wouldn't put you off Inter but I think you have to take into account aswell just how well United are playing at the minute, you only have to look at the other team in England and see how they are struggling, is it because United are just a class above everyone else or the other teams are to inconsistent? I watched bits of Inter v AC the other week and yeah they look a good side but nothing that makes me think we will be outplayed. Ferguson sometimes comes up with interesting team selections for big games so don't be surprised to see Fletcher start in midfield, a solid player.
Don't think Man Utd is playing well, they've been better, they are scrapping wins, yes they still get the 3 points but if you look at the other big boys such as Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool, they are the ones that are missing the opportunities. Again I don't think Man Utd is a physically tough team, probably the only player on the squad that I fancy taking a good beat and won't complain is Tevez who is a bulldog. Ronaldo is going to be a wank in big games, he'll definitely will try to instigate a lot of calls with some flops but nevertheless, he will get a good beating. Inter are a team that really could careless about lesser oppositions but when the big teams come around they mean business. This Inter team is different than those of old, Mourinho is doing what he did with Chelsea here, build from the back up, his defense is absolutely solid and that midfield is a wall, I find it hard for even a team like Man Utd to penetrate Inter's midfield at a successful level. I'm sure Fergie has something up his sleeve, he ain't stupid after all he is the master at man management so a weird line up won't mean he's giving it away but he's got something to deter the opposition to thinking wow we can beat this team. I still believe that Inter are more than capable of handling Utd at this stage of the tournament. They could win 2-0 but easily lose 4-0 at OT.

Re: CL - Tuesday 24 February IMo we will see a tactical hard fight and a defensive match despite the fact both ofensive lines are available. Chess game between Mourinho & Ferguson again!! Inter is not the allmighty team in european clashes, showed well against Pana and Bremen in last round, ManU won't be fighting for a away win cos 1 point probably will be ok for 'em, they rely on their home power. It's Draw match written all over it, StanJames offers nice 3,20. Under 2,5 goals also probable but represents not much value at odds around 1,55, Goldvictory again with nice 1,70 at the top :ok

Re: CL - Tuesday 24 February Well, in the last weeks I have had the opportunity to admire the team of the Manchester U, a fantastic team, distant relative of that that two years ago met Milan Obviously the Strikers have impressed me but very more a midfielder that I knew few but that instead it is half team: he is Carrick He will be conclusive in Milan, tomorrow evening, because he must encounter with a fabulous midfield of Inter : Cambiasso, Zanetti, Muntari and Stankovic, that Mourinho has drawn with precision and astuteness. A serious absence in defense for the two teams, Samuel is a great defender, the couple Samuel - Cordoba is strong Also the absence of Vidic is important In the game of Saturday against Bologna I have not seen to play well Maicon, not in good condition. But I believe that Inter has a great hunger of Manchester, Inter doesnt win Champions has since 45 years, Inter must absolutely win tomorrow I think that Mourinho wants to beat Manchester to remain in the mind of English fans, because between one year or two he will return in England Mou has changed mentality of the team, in Italian championship it is difficult to beat Inter, it plays badly or well Inter plays it wins I think that tomorrow evening Inter win 1-0 and then will come to Manchester to make 1 gol. Ibrahimovic is in form, a great player. Very it depends on Ronaldo, if he is in magic evening he can make a gol My pronostic is Inter Win - under I hope it will be a beautiful game

Re: CL - Tuesday 24 February Im with Inter -0.25 2.09 @ Betfair Mourinho has amazing record against Alex Ferguson...if is there any coach that knows how to beat Man Utd is Mourinho. He played against Manchester 10 macthes, i guess, he won 9. Man´s defense will have a hard time to control Ibrahimovic and Adriano. They are missing Rafael, Vidic, Brown. I think Inter wins..Ferguson will be more than happy with a draw...though i´ll stick with asian handicap.

Re: CL - Tuesday 24 February Rome is a crazy and inconstant team, today it beats whoever, tomorrow it loses against whoever Rome is Totti dependent , vucinic is not ok, roma is a difficult place...... Rome is more main point "LA DOLCE VITA " that football Tomorrow Home /draw , sure. I think 2-0 arsenal

Re: CL - Tuesday 24 February Well, well. One start some more eves' important of the brief career of Mourinho on the bench of the inter, the special one knows well that tomorrow fundamental prerogativo and' to try not to take gol to be able to hope to play him to the old trafford. I see a Manc utd where his components almost seem certain of the passage of the turn, situation that puts under the best conditions the armed nerazzurra that he is approaching appointment to in point the feet. The Portuguese technician is doing a big mental job in his players provided that' riesano to forget the two precocious and disappointing eliminations to the eighth ones of champions league in the last 2 years. The sentence released to the media synthesizes all of this " my boys must play this important competition without being afraid to go out to the eighth ones", if Mou will succeed in turning the fears into anger and hunger of victories I believe that the players of the inter can worry the champions of the reigning world, because' technically they don't have anything to envy and can be taken advantage of that pinch of arrogance and conceitedness that it is perceived in the environment of the redses.

I don´t see United losing this one, Vidić and Evans are out that is fact, but I think that Man Utd have enough good players in the back who are more than capable to do well in defence. I think about draw 1:1, and even United close win 1:2, GO UNITED:ok

Re: CL - Tuesday 24 February There's quite a lot I'm not getting here. I rate Mourinho very highly, he's a cracking manager, but there's only so much someone can do to a side and to a league. The Italian league is some years behind the English and it's really, really shown when United have faced Italian sides these last few years. Who on earth said United have "scraped" wins, btw? I watch United week in week out from the north stand and the only wins I've seen us scrape from the past 3 months are Stoke and Blackburn. The rest of the games we've dominated and thoroughly deserved victory, regardless of when we've scored or how many we've scored. I find it hard to see how United can batter a side who put 11 men behind the ball, which is what happens virtually every week. In fact, if I recall correctly, it's exactly what Villa did at Villa Park earlier on this season despite their attacking flair and ability, so don't dismiss the 1-0 wins so readily. Inter struggle against lesser opposition - United do on occasion but still win. That's because United are more adept at switching tactics and styles. United have a better squad than any other club I can name. Inter and United both have one notoriously sulky player - Ibrahimovic and Ronaldo. Difference is that when Zlatan doesn't play well, Inter don't play well. When Ronaldo doesn't play well, United still win. It would have been different last year, but now it's this year and United are different. That, I feel, is very important. Haha of course Ronaldo doesn't turn up in big games though - he only scored at the Champions League final! He only scored a vital away goal in Rome at the start of last year! He only scored a vital home goal against Lyon at the start of last year! He only won us a penalty in Barcelona (which, fair enough, wasn't coverted) as well as what should have been a second penalty through his sheer ability! He ripped the hell out of Essien in the Champs League final and anyone but anyone that dimisses him as being a nobody in the big games really needs to take a step back and think what they're saying. There are only 3 players in the world you can never dismiss when viewing a club's ability to win a game - Ronaldo, Messi and Kaka. That is because they are the best, and they're the best for a reason. All that aside though, be careful with this game. I fancy a sly away win but you will probably put that down to me being biased. I watch United and Inter most weekends and the least I can see tomorrow is a draw. Ferdinand is playing and United will definitely miss Vidic - easily the best defender i've ever seen at winning the ball in the air. Inter will look to exploit that and will probably have some joy too. That said, I think Fergie is playing mind games already - I think Evans will be fine for this game. I didn't think he was injured when he went off against Blackburn and I don't think he is now. Still, time makes fools of us all, eh? Btw, I think Fletcher will play for United - Fergie likes to use him in big games and especially against Italian clubs. Good luck to you all. P.S. Anyone else think Villarreal will draw 0-0 with Panathinaikos?

I don´t see United losing this one' date=' Vidić and Evans are out that is fact, but I think that Man Utd have enough good players in the back who are more than capable to do well in defence. I think about draw 1:1, and even United close win 1:2, GO UNITED:ok[/quote'] I also lean toward Man U. The only reason that stops me from backing them fully is Cesar, who is in outstanding form. From the posts above it sounds like it is only SAF that has to worry, and The Special One already completed the ''revolution'' in Inter, both mentally and with results. I don't see Inter doing that much better than with Mancini, who was struggling for a budget, easily allowed for JM's buys. Unless Mourinho makes it to the semis here, what exactly makes him a better manager with this particular team? With Vidic and Rio I would have also clearly gone for Man U. SAF has 3 world class forwards available plus Ronaldo. Mourinho has to worry more, especially if Sir Alex has seen close the Inter home game vs Cagliari - sharp fast attackers can create havoc with Inter's defence. Over 4,5 cards @ 1,83 looks good to me so far. Stopping United's attack might turn a bit dirty, Manchester also might show some ''character''. BOL

Re: CL - Tuesday 24 February Im sorry but why are we some how comparing domestic play with the game on hand? Why are we comparing a game which Inter played vs Cagliari? Forget it, Cagliari is not Man Utd. I'll come back with my preview later but I don't get why were looking at how teams play domestically. If that's the case Panathanaikos should be crap because they play in such a weaker division. Lets just focus on the teams themselves, the coaches, the manager, the players, mental aspect, not h2h records vs domestic teams.

No....they have a fully fit squad
Inter doesn´t have a fully fit squad...Walter Samuel is injured as is Materazzi. Mourinho will choose defenders from Chivu, Burdisso and Cordoba. That´s my only concern about this match..i hate Cordoba and i think Burdisso is an average player.

Im sorry but why are we some how comparing domestic play with the game on hand? Why are we comparing a game which Inter played vs Cagliari? Forget it, Cagliari is not Man Utd. I'll come back with my preview later but I don't get why were looking at how teams play domestically. If that's the case Panathanaikos should be crap because they play in such a weaker division. Lets just focus on the teams themselves, the coaches, the manager, the players, mental aspect, not h2h records vs domestic teams.
good point - man u i feel play differently in big CL away games than nearly any other game. SAF will field "legs & graft" rather than substance in midfield..I wouldn't be surprised to see Bergatov or Rooney chosen as lone striker with Ronaldo floating and behind that Carrick, Fletcher, Giggs and Park. I was surprised how open the recent milan Derby was with both teams creating a bagful of chances. Adriano missed his fair share & i've never been a big fan of Ibrahmovic, admittedly i haven't watched him consistently but any big game i have seen him play for club or country he has disappointed. As a strike pair, i wouldn't rate them as highly as manu attack. Centre back will be huge for manu... if O'Shea starts there i can see Inter scoring as he simply loses concentration too often against quality opposition to be trusted in this crucial position, a solid & useful squad player he is, it would be a cause for concern should he line up there. Evans however, while lacking the big CL experience i have seen more than enough to think he can do a job there. He is a more natural CB than O'Shea but needs a confident start. Mourinho is confident enough 2 think his team can go to OT and get a result so i don't see him going for the throat here, and 0-0 not bad result for Inter. SAF also i believe will be relatively cautious for him.. I haven't seen enough Inter to stake any major bets here, but 9point lead in Serie A is impressive. Overall IMO a cagey affair with two managers perhaps a little overly appreciative of each other's qualities to make any major chess moves in first leg. Small stake on 0-0 and medium stake on the under. GL All

Re: CL - Tuesday 24 February Inter vs Man Utd The 'Special One' has a terrific record against Ferguson, having lost only 1 game in 12. Man Utd have selection problems at the back....given a fully fit squad I would have strongly backed Utd for a 1-0 or 2-1 win. My provisional selection therefore is Draw with perhaps a nibble on 1-1 scoreline - will wait for team sheets

Re: CL - Tuesday 24 February Inter -0.25 2.09 @ Betfair Like i said before Mourinho has a great record against Ferguson. Man Utd defense is kinda weak for tomorrows game...a draw will be a good result, but Inter might take the advantage with Ibrahimovic and Adriano upfront. Lyon - Barcelona Both teams to score 1.8 Both teams play an incredible attacking football..Barcelona has passed the 100 goals barrier this season and Lyon has a 14-10 record so far in the Champions this year. Claude Puel knows that tomorrow is their big chance to keep dreaming with the quarter finals...he said that Lyon is preparing this match since the teams were drawn...last match against Nancy, Juninho, Gouvou and Benzema rested so they should be on full strength for tomorrow. Benzema is one of the top european strikers this season. Also Abidal is missing and Puyol is kinda of joke when playing as a winger. Iniesta is a big flaw too in Barça´s midfield. Busquets is a talented youngster but he has no experience and tomorrow he wont be facing Almeria´s or Gijon´s oponnents. When trying to give some reasoning for Barça to score in the match...well, three words must be enough: Messi Henry Etoo Arsenal - Roma Both teams to score 1.95 Roma +0.75 1.6 Arsenal without Fabregas, Walcott and Adebayor is a totally diferent team...that´s why they have been struggling to score...those players are the keys in Arsenal´s style of play..Nasri is good, but he misses "that thing" that Fabregas has...the french plays really good but it seems that something is missing when it comes to make the diference. Walcott and Adebayor are fulcral in the attack..Bendter is kinda lazy and has no minimum skills to play at this level IMO. Roma, italian side, always very tricky...i believe that they are bluffing saying that Juan Cicinho and Totti are suffered injuries in the last training. i think it´s all part of the strategie. we´ll see tomorrow what happens. anyway, wenger said that he predicts an open game, spaletti knows that Arsenal struggles to score but they dont conceed simply because other oponnents dont push the attack. with totti and baptista upfront i think they will manage to score and take the lead in the leg. the brazilian will probably try to prove that he is much better than de the danish...i dont know for sure why he left Arsenal, but have a small idea that Wenger wanted like that...someone correct me please if im wrong. Atletico - Porto both teams to score 2.00 As usual, Jesualdo Ferreira will try to keep the nil since the beginning. But at home Atletico knows theyhave to score to take the lead. Aguero, Simao or Maxi will definitely give a very hard time to Cissokho, the left winger of Porto is a joke...i dont like this guy plus he was playing in the 3rd division in France a couple of months ago. But Atletico is very irregular, they conceed a lot of goals and they are missing Perea. Porto´s attack is better than in previous years...Cristiano Rodriguez is a very quality player and Hulk, well that guy is a machine...that boy will play in Portugal for one more year, two max, and then he replaces Ronaldo in Man Utd...amazing player. (also he was playing in the second division in Japan, 8 months ago :):) )

Re: CL - Tuesday 24 February just gonna post my thoughts quickly i wouldnt take them at all seriously lol! firstly the big man u game, im on a 1-0 win to man u all the strikers are on form and being a pool fan having watched most of their recent games they have been in scintallating form with gr8 performances by ronaldo, rooney, berba, tevez, and gr8 cameos by giggs, scholes, carrick, i think they will be too strong for a team like inter who dont like the way english teams play re: see lpool last yr, the italian league is slow and technical the english league is way ahead and zlatan and adriano cnt cut it, vidic is a big loss by ferdinand is no slouch and howeva cums into the middle with him shud be gud enuff, the midfield for yrs has been slated lpools midfield wiv alonso, gerrard, masch are miles better but scholes, carrick, nani, giggs seem to gell so well togetha so dnt take them for granted As for the other games i will be on a 0-0 with arsenal fully expect them to do ok against a decent roma side who got trashed 3-0 away last week to atlanta, but arsenal cnt score for love nor money wudnt be suprised if vela or wilshere got a game here! lyon may have rested players but barca are playing some gr8 stuff i fully expect them to bounce bk from their shok defeat last weekend i can see 4-0 on this!

Lyon - Barcelona Both teams to score 1.8 When trying to give some reasoning for Barça to score in the match...well, three words must be enough: Messi Henry Etoo
agree with your pick but IMO there is another trio which I look for everytime I want to play over 2,5 goals or Barca HC. in Barca game strikers aren't so important like in other teams, they are exchangable. More important is triangle Xavi, Alves & Messi IMO. If you watched Barca matches you'll easily find out, these three players are heart of Barca, their rotation and tremendous speed especially of Messi and Alves drives opponent teams crazy. It's the same reason there was no place for "turtle" Ronaldinho in this team. Of course it is always great to have such a killer as forward like Et'oo in front...

Re: CL - Tuesday 24 February Some interesting stats for Gunners match:

• Arsenal’s Champions League home record to top 12-ranked opponents is 5/7 clean sheets, 6/7 -2.5 goals and 3/7 -1.5 goals.
  • Arsenal’s Champions League home record is 15/22 clean sheets, 14/22 -2.5 goals and 9/22 -1.5 goals.
  • Roma’s Champions League away record to top-eight ranked teams is 4/6 failed to score, 4/6 -2.5 goals and 3/6 –1.5 goals.

I know these are only stats, but my first impression of the match was also under 2,5 goals...