Rebuy Tournament Situation

deadlydaveLDN

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $10+$1 Tournament, 50/100 Blinds (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com BB (t4805) UTG (t2000) Hero (UTG+1) (t14885) MP1 (t2325) MP2 (t2350) MP3 (t5465) CO (t8560) Button (t4395) SB (t11756) Hero's M: 99.23 Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Qclub.gif, Qspade.gif UTG raises to t2000 (All-In), Hero ??? Table is playing kind of crazy, in particular the UTG guy, who's on massive tilt. So should I be flat calling, or shoving here?

Re: Rebuy Tournament Situation Think either is fine as the difference in your bet only really effects two players behind you. As you say, he is playing like a loon, a flat call from you may not automatically be seen as strength by others and you may get a reraise from a smaller pair. With AA or KK I think a flat call is a great move and surely the tactic on the sort of table you've described. Trouble is, you don't want the two smaller stacks next to you calling and then it being 5/6-way due to apparent value. I like my stack here, so with QQ I probably take the safer option, raise to protect my hand a little.

Re: Rebuy Tournament Situation Ok, thanks. I flat called, SB also called. Complete hand PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $10+$1 Tournament, 50/100 Blinds (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com BB (t4805) UTG (t2000) Hero (UTG+1) (t14885) MP1 (t2325) MP2 (t2350) MP3 (t5465) CO (t8560) Button (t4395) SB (t11756) Hero's M: 99.23 Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Qclub.gif, Qspade.gifUTG raises to t2000 (All-In), Hero calls t2000, 5 folds, SB calls t1950, 1 fold Flop: (t6100) Kspade.gif, 2diamond.gif, Jheart.gif(3 players, 1 all-in) SB bets t3900, Hero folds Turn: (t6100) 3spade.gif(2 players, 1 all-in) River: (t6100) 3club.gif(2 players, 1 all-in) Total pot: t6100 Results: SB had Qheart.gif, Kdiamond.gif (two pair, Kings and threes). UTG had 4diamond.gif, 7club.gif (one pair, threes). Outcome: SB won t6100 Not sure whether I cost myself a small pot, or stopped myself from losing a big one :lol

Re: Rebuy Tournament Situation Yeah it's bad play from the SB, but you get bad play in $10 rebuys. You have to adapt as you well know. Like I said, I don't think it's incorrect to flat call, it's a gamble and in this spot it's probably a gamble I wouldn't take, as stated above. AA or KK though - cracking play. He would've hit his Q and you would doubled up.

Re: Rebuy Tournament Situation

Dont think much of the sb's play after flop.
As a rookie I might have made that play too. My thinking would be "I'm probably best here and I don't mind scaring off my one remaining opponent to get HU with the maniac." Should he have checked it, or should he have bet more?

Re: Rebuy Tournament Situation I'd bet the flop, your only behind to k/j as far as I can see. I mean the flat caller cant have A/k, pkt aces, kings or jacks can he? Surely he would have raised to isolate? Mind you he cant have pkt queens either, which is were my hand analysis falls in a heap.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Rebuy Tournament Situation Firstly, the small blind's call was terrible. Really terrible. You can't do anything about his call. No decent player calls there, the only play that can be made there is fold, or re-shove with AA/KK/maybe AK, and you're folding. That is why you just flat call there, if you re-raise and get re-re-raised you have to fold. You made the right play, but you're just playing a $10 tournament!