** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Spooner's all round racing

Re: Spooner's all round racing Will update stats soon. Wolverhampton 18:50 - Feeling Fresh (Each-Way) Feeling Fresh is a c&d winner here, Performed well on the all weather last year at this track during the winter months. Ran well last time out at Southwell when finishing 5th, Stepping down in class tonight, Trainer had three winners in last 10 runs with two placers also, Should go mighty close tonight. 5pts e/w @ 8/1 Bet365

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spooner's Win & Place Donkeys 2009 I had a thread a while back but I never really kepted it upto date, So as were into a new year I thought id start a fresh one. Will be backing horses win & place, I tend to get alot of 2nd's/3rd's lately and its really frustrating when you go win only so this way I hope to achieve more profit. :hope All bets will be 3pts win, 7pts place above 4/1, Anything under that price and I will just go win only as the place price will be nothing special anyway. I will of course give a few lines of reasoning for each. Here's to a good 2009. :cheers

Re: Spooner's Win & Place Donkeys 2009 Ha, Thanks. Not that impressive this year so far, I feel im slacking actually so hopefully this puts me back on the right road. Anyway onto the first bet... Kempton 21:20 - Bernabeu Probably not the best of races to choose my first bet in for this thread but looking at this race and I quite like Bernabeu's chances. Back with Sean Curran's yard after leaving there just over a year ago, He showed some promise in defeat LTO when 5th of 12 runners. The 2nd in that race Dansilver posted a good 3rd at this track when next seen and went onto win at Wolverhampton earlier today. Ready To Crown finished 8th in that race and came out of it to post a good 2nd at Lingfield. Bernabeu had Desert Hawk & Sir Liam comfortably beaten in that race who both race with him tonight and feature in the front of the betting. His lifetime record doesn't look that great, Only two wins, one second and a third in 21 runs but that does not give a true reflection as he has been tried over various trips, Some of that form is running over hurdles in Ireland also. His form over 12f in England reads 3125 which is pretty solid. Given that this is a slightly weaker race than his last suggests to me that Bernabeu good also run well tonight as the others have and this race really would not take alot of winning. 2pts win @ 6.00 - Betfred 8pts place @ 2.00 - Paddys

Re: Spooner's Win & Place Donkeys 2009 Thanks. :ok

Kempton 21:20 - Bernabeu Probably not the best of races to choose my first bet in for this thread but looking at this race and I quite like Bernabeu's chances. Back with Sean Curran's yard after leaving there just over a year ago, He showed some promise in defeat LTO when 5th of 12 runners. The 2nd in that race Dansilver posted a good 3rd at this track when next seen and went onto win at Wolverhampton earlier today. Ready To Crown finished 8th in that race and came out of it to post a good 2nd at Lingfield. Bernabeu had Desert Hawk & Sir Liam comfortably beaten in that race who both race with him tonight and feature in the front of the betting. His lifetime record doesn't look that great, Only two wins, one second and a third in 21 runs but that does not give a true reflection as he has been tried over various trips, Some of that form is running over hurdles in Ireland also. His form over 12f in England reads 3125 which is pretty solid. Given that this is a slightly weaker race than his last suggests to me that Bernabeu good also run well tonight as the others have and this race really would not take alot of winning. 2pts win @ 6.00 - Betfred 8pts place @ 2.00 - Paddys
1st - Ben Bacchus 2nd - Bernabeu 3rd - Sir Liam Distances: Neck; 2½ lengths; 4 lengths Bit Disappointed because he was only beaten neck however I did mention I was getting alot of 2nd's. So instead of losing I still came out with profit from the race. Although the bets were on the same horse, I think I calculate the bets as separate bets, They were at different bookies also. Bets - 2 Total Staked - 10pts Win - 1 Loss - 1 Strike Rate - +50.00% Yield - +60.00% Profit Loss - +6.00pts

Re: Spooner's Win & Place Donkeys 2009 Cheltenham 15:45 - Punchestowns I just can't get away from Punchestowns today, The manner in which he has won in his last two runs has really impressed me and I think he will take the world of beating here. I am not worried by the ground as he won in France on this heavy going. This is a decent field of runners but once again I think Punchestowns will be to strong for them, Henderson's stable has had a crackng year so far. Fair Along loves it round here and I might play up the forecast with him. 10pts win @ 11/10 Ladbrokes

Re: Spooner's Win & Place Donkeys 2009

Cheltenham 15:45 - Punchestowns I just can't get away from Punchestowns today, The manner in which he has won in his last two runs has really impressed me and I think he will take the world of beating here. I am not worried by the ground as he won in France on this heavy going. This is a decent field of runners but once again I think Punchestowns will be to strong for them, Henderson's stable has had a crackng year so far. Fair Along loves it round here and I might play up the forecast with him. 10pts win @ 11/10 Ladbrokes
1st - Big Bucks 2nd - Punchestowns 3rd - Fair Along Distances: 4 lengths, 2 1/4 lengths, 12 lengths Well Big Bucks spoiled the party for me, Would of had the F/C up and coming round the bend that looked quite likely but Big Bucks ran well and the weight told in the end. I wouldn't write Punchestowns off at all after that run, He wasn't beating far and will put in a better run at the festival. Most bookmakers still go about 5/2 on him for the world hurdle. Bets - 3 Total Staked - 20pts Win - 1 Loss - 2 Strike Rate - +33.33% Yield - -30.00 Profit Loss - -6.00pts

Bets - 3 Total Staked - 20pts Win - 1 Loss - 2 Strike Rate - +50.00% Yield - +33.33% Profit Loss - -30.00pts
Unlucky with Punchestowns. Came there travelling but dont think it got home in the ground. Not one to write off though. I think your figures are wrong. The profit cant be -30 surely after Bernebeu was placed. Unsure about your strike rate as well. Is that based on 1/2 profitable selections or is it based on 1/3 correct bets ? Good luck with the thread though, if your past record is anything to go by, it will be a success. :hope

Re: Spooner's Win & Place Donkeys 2009 Ayr 14:05 - Chief Dan George Chief Dan George is still lookingto break his duck over fences but this looks a decent opportunity to do just that, A small field with only five runners. His had two runs so far chasing and he ran ok in the first at Sedgefield, He ran well at Carlisle LTO behind the favourite Skippers Brig in this heavy ground, Stepping up in trip today to 3m 1f which will be fine, Has solid form in heavy ground, three of his five wins have came on heavy, Drifting in the betting at the moment which is a bit of a worry but I think he should win this race well. 10pts win @ 13/8 Bet365 (bog)

Re: Spooner's Win & Place Donkeys 2009 Wolverhampton 16:30 - Amber Moon I really fancy Amber Moon to get her head infront soon, hopefully that will be today. I have put her up in her last three runs and she has been very unlucky not to land any bets on her, Beaten a short head LTO at Southwell and beaten a neck at Wolverhampton the run before. Stepping up in trip to 1m 1f which is the trip she started her career off and although the form doesn't read well I wouldn't be to worried about that. She'll run a good race today and I hope she gets her head infront to make up for those narrow defeats. No place prices yet on this race so I will have 5pts e/w. 5pts e/w @ 6/1 Bet365 (bog)

Ayr 14:05 - Chief Dan George Chief Dan George is still lookingto break his duck over fences but this looks a decent opportunity to do just that, A small field with only five runners. His had two runs so far chasing and he ran ok in the first at Sedgefield, He ran well at Carlisle LTO behind the favourite Skippers Brig in this heavy ground, Stepping up in trip today to 3m 1f which will be fine, Has solid form in heavy ground, three of his five wins have came on heavy, Drifting in the betting at the moment which is a bit of a worry but I think he should win this race well. 10pts win @ 13/8 Bet365 (bog)
1st - Killyglen 2nd - Chief Dan George Distances - distance, 19 lengths Haven't seen the replay of this race but it seems there was only ever going to be one winner which the betting didn't suggest!
Wolverhampton 16:30 - Amber Moon I really fancy Amber Moon to get her head infront soon, hopefully that will be today. I have put her up in her last three runs and she has been very unlucky not to land any bets on her, Beaten a short head LTO at Southwell and beaten a neck at Wolverhampton the run before. Stepping up in trip to 1m 1f which is the trip she started her career off and although the form doesn't read well I wouldn't be to worried about that. She'll run a good race today and I hope she gets her head infront to make up for those narrow defeats. No place prices yet on this race so I will have 5pts e/w. 5pts e/w @ 6/1 Bet365 (bog)
1st - Lady Aspen 2nd - Ludwigshafen 3rd - Arikinui 4th - Amber Moon Distances: Nose, 1¾ lengths, Neck Just missed out on the E/W money on Amber Moon and she wasn't beaten far at all, Still will follow this horse as she has a race in her. Bets - 5 Total Staked - 40pts Win - 1 Loss - 4 Strike Rate - +20.00% Yield - -65.00 Profit Loss - 26.00pts

Re: Spooner's Win & Place Donkeys 2009 Southwell 14:10 - Jordi Roper Backed this horse on all of his last three runs, One win and two seconds. He has been very unlucky not to win all three, Was beaten a nose two runs ago and a neck last time out. Racing over 6f again today which obviously suits, Dale Gibson is back on board and he was the jockey who won on Jordi Roper three runs ago. Fingers crossed he can get another win today which would be deserved. 10pts win @ 5/2 Bet365 (bog)

Re: Spooner's Win & Place Donkeys 2009 Southwell 16:10 - Mrs Bun Chasing a hat-trick of wins today this horse and its hard to see what can stop her, She is in cracking form at this track. Three wins in her last five runs at Southwell and she won over this mile trip two runs ago. I don't rate the opposition to her today and the only possible danger I see is from Prescott's My Mentor. Won at Southwell three runs ago but has been off the track since August. The jockey booking of Jamie Spencer on Mrs Bun is a strong one and I feel she can make it a three timer this afternoon. 10pts win @ 7/4 Stan James (bog)

Southwell 14:10 - Jordi Roper Backed this horse on all of his last three runs, One win and two seconds. He has been very unlucky not to win all three, Was beaten a nose two runs ago and a neck last time out. Racing over 6f again today which obviously suits, Dale Gibson is back on board and he was the jockey who won on Jordi Roper three runs ago. Fingers crossed he can get another win today which would be deserved. 10pts win @ 5/2 Bet365 (bog)
1st - Punching 2nd - Obe Royal 3rd - Ronnie Howe 4th - Jordi Roper Was a bit disappointed with Jordi Roper's run, Was never really in the race. 'soon pushed along in rear, driven and switched right and stayed on from over 1f out, not pace to challenge'
Southwell 16:10 - Mrs Bun Chasing a hat-trick of wins today this horse and its hard to see what can stop her, She is in cracking form at this track. Three wins in her last five runs at Southwell and she won over this mile trip two runs ago. I don't rate the opposition to her today and the only possible danger I see is from Prescott's My Mentor. Won at Southwell three runs ago but has been off the track since August. The jockey booking of Jamie Spencer on Mrs Bun is a strong one and I feel she can make it a three timer this afternoon. 10pts win @ 7/4 Stan James (bog)
1st - McConnell 2nd - Mrs Bun 3rd - What's Up Doc 'held up, took closer order over 3f out, ridden, hung left over 1f out, led, hung right entering final furlong, headed towards finish' 2nd again for me, Seems to be the story of the month so far, Hopefully I can pick up soon... Bets - 7 Total Staked - 60pts Win - 1 Loss - 6 Strike Rate - +14.28% Yield - -76.66 Profit Loss - 46.00pts

Re: Spooner's Win & Place Donkeys 2009 Lingfield 13:00 - Flamsteed Left Mark Johnston's stable after just one run and came out at this track LTO finishing 3rd but wasn't beating far at all, The second in that race Princess Cagliari went on to run another good race LTO at Kempton when second in a better class race, The favourite in this race Auld Arty has had plenty of chances to break his maiden tag and has yet to do so in seven runs. Flamsteed still has improvement to come I feel and this looks a good opportuinty for him to break his maiden tag, Shane Kelly takes the ride. 10pts win @ 9/4 Bet365 (bog)

Lingfield 13:00 - Flamsteed Left Mark Johnston's stable after just one run and came out at this track LTO finishing 3rd but wasn't beating far at all, The second in that race Princess Cagliari went on to run another good race LTO at Kempton when second in a better class race, The favourite in this race Auld Arty has had plenty of chances to break his maiden tag and has yet to do so in seven runs. Flamsteed still has improvement to come I feel and this looks a good opportuinty for him to break his maiden tag, Shane Kelly takes the ride. 10pts win @ 9/4 Bet365 (bog)
1st - Auld Arty 2nd - The Winged Assasin 3rd - Flamsteed led narrowly, kept on under pressure from well over 1f out, headed well inside final furlong, lost 2nd close home The horse had every chance but simply wasn't good enough. To make matters worse for this thread I forgot to put this up in here!!
19:50 - Sounds of Jupiter/Dream In Blue Sounds of Jupiter should take the beating in this maiden, his 3rd at Great Leighs is alright form behind the top two, Bit worrying that the 4th in that race finished last next time out though. Gonna take a chance on the Osborne newcomer aswell, stable is coming into a bit of form in recent weeks and there is a little bit of support for this horse today. 11/4 7/1 Betfred
1st and 2nd. :lol This thread is jinxed. :tongue2 Bets - 8 Total Staked - 80pts Win - 1 Loss - 7 Strike Rate - +12.5% Yield - -70.00 ? Profit Loss - 56.00pts

Re: Spooner's Win & Place Donkeys 2009 Results so far. Bernabeu - 2nd @ 5/1 +6pts Punchestowns - 2nd @ 11/10 -10pts Chief Dan George - 2nd @ 13/8 -10pts Amber Moon 4th - @ 6/1 -10pts Jordi Roper 4th - @ 5/2 -10pts Mrs Bun 2nd - @ 7/4 -10pts Flamsteed 3rd - @ 9/4 -10pts Apologies if anyone is following at the moment. :sad Can't keep up this run of 2nd's/3rd/4th's for much longer, These things even themselves up over time I hope. :hope

Re: Spooner's Win & Place Donkeys 2009 Towcester 13:30 - Carrickboy There seems to be a big gamble going on Quentin Collonges this morning however I like Carrickboy, He ran a very good second LTO behind King Ar Aghaidh at Fakenham on his hurdling debut. There will be more improvement to come today and he should run well on the ground. Quentin Collonges finished 7th of 16 runners LTO and the step down in trip should help as he didn't get home very well. Neil Harvey is making his hurdling debut after some decent bumper performences, A tight race and the first three in the betting should dominate. Selection is Carrickboy. 10pts win @ 7/4 Bet365 (bog)

Re: Spooner's Win & Place Donkeys 2009 Southwell 14:20 - Orpenella Again this race looks to be between the top three in the betting by a long way and I will go for the outsider of the three Orpenella. She's been knocking on the door for a while but yet to get that elusive win. She holds good form at Southwell and has done her best work here, Stepping back in trip to a mile which will be fine, she races over that trip a few runs back when finishing 4 of 12 in handicap company. The other two at the top of the market have never raced around Southwell and in what should be a tight race Orpenella is proven around here. 10pts win @ 3/1 Bet365 (bog)

Towcester 13:30 - Carrickboy There seems to be a big gamble going on Quentin Collonges this morning however I like Carrickboy, He ran a very good second LTO behind King Ar Aghaidh at Fakenham on his hurdling debut. There will be more improvement to come today and he should run well on the ground. Quentin Collonges finished 7th of 16 runners LTO and the step down in trip should help as he didn't get home very well. Neil Harvey is making his hurdling debut after some decent bumper performences, A tight race and the first three in the betting should dominate. Selection is Carrickboy. 10pts win @ 7/4 Bet365 (bog)
Unseated rider after 5 seconds 'with leader when stumbled and unseated rider soon after start'
Southwell 14:20 - Orpenella Again this race looks to be between the top three in the betting by a long way and I will go for the outsider of the three Orpenella. She's been knocking on the door for a while but yet to get that elusive win. She holds good form at Southwell and has done her best work here, Stepping back in trip to a mile which will be fine, she races over that trip a few runs back when finishing 4 of 12 in handicap company. The other two at the top of the market have never raced around Southwell and in what should be a tight race Orpenella is proven around here. 10pts win @ 3/1 Bet365 (bog)
Broke down when 2nd. :sad

• 4 weeks later...

Spooner's Double Figure Longshots Not much better than picking out the outsiders and then watching it win is there? Well for me its a great feeling anyway....could go a while without a winner but its sweet when they come of. So this thread will be based on picking out longshots, like I said may go a long time without a winner or even a placer! :hope

Re: Spooner's Double Figure Longshots I will run this to a 1pt e/w stake. 22nd February Towcester 14:30 - Purr One win in 62 runs for Purr and 4 places so not the most of consistent horses hence the price...his one and only win came Fakenham in selling company back in March 2008, drops back in trip here to 16f for the first time in nearly a year (the distance his only win has came over), does not have the best of form in this ground and that is a slight worry but there is always a few negative points about a longshot. Was last seen on Monday when finshing 7th of 11 at Market Rasen. 1pt e/w @ 50/1 Bet365 (bog) Fontwell 16:45 - Spider Boy I backed this LTO @ 66/1 and he ran a cracker 'Getting on a bit now and recent form hasn't been great but I give him a better chance than the bookies suggest, c&d winner and has won here off a higher mark previously....has previous good form on this heavy ground, will run ok today I feel and the price looks massive or am I missing something.' Finished 2nd beating a neck by Hellow Moscow and AP McCoy, If it wasn't AP in the saddle I think he would of won, Now the ground may not be the same today but he does have very good form at Fontwell, a bit of a course specialist. Steps back in trip and form over the 18f here sicne 2007 reads 23215. Great chance here to run another big race. 1pt e/w @ 14/1 Coral

Re: Spooner's Double Figure Longshots

Fontwell 16:45 - Spider Boy I backed this LTO @ 66/1 and he ran a cracker 'Getting on a bit now and recent form hasn't been great but I give him a better chance than the bookies suggest, c&d winner and has won here off a higher mark previously....has previous good form on this heavy ground, will run ok today I feel and the price looks massive or am I missing something.' Finished 2nd beating a neck by Hellow Moscow and AP McCoy, If it wasn't AP in the saddle I think he would of won, Now the ground may not be the same today but he does have very good form at Fontwell, a bit of a course specialist. Steps back in trip and form over the 18f here sicne 2007 reads 23215. Great chance here to run another big race. 1pt e/w @ 14/1 Coral
Agree with you there mate, if he takes to the better ground he will go very close! Ran sublimely lto as you say and he was a stone out of the weights! Good luck with this Spooner.

Re: Spooner's Double Figure Longshots Thanks. :ok

I will run this to a 1pt e/w stake. 22nd February Towcester 14:30 - Purr One win in 62 runs for Purr and 4 places so not the most of consistent horses hence the price...his one and only win came Fakenham in selling company back in March 2008, drops back in trip here to 16f for the first time in nearly a year (the distance his only win has came over), does not have the best of form in this ground and that is a slight worry but there is always a few negative points about a longshot. Was last seen on Monday when finshing 7th of 11 at Market Rasen. 1pt e/w @ 50/1 Bet365 (bog) Fontwell 16:45 - Spider Boy I backed this LTO @ 66/1 and he ran a cracker 'Getting on a bit now and recent form hasn't been great but I give him a better chance than the bookies suggest, c&d winner and has won here off a higher mark previously....has previous good form on this heavy ground, will run ok today I feel and the price looks massive or am I missing something.' Finished 2nd beating a neck by Hellow Moscow and AP McCoy, If it wasn't AP in the saddle I think he would of won, Now the ground may not be the same today but he does have very good form at Fontwell, a bit of a course specialist. Steps back in trip and form over the 18f here sicne 2007 reads 23215. Great chance here to run another big race. 1pt e/w @ 14/1 Coral
Purr - 11th of 15 :( Spider Boy - 3rd of 10 :) Bets - 2 Total Staked - 4 Win - 1 Loss - 1 Strike Rate - 50% Yield - -5.00% Profit Loss - -0.20(To a 1pt e/w stake)