** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Hand History - Scared to post them?

Sir Puntalot

I can be excluded from this as I'm not really a poker player, sports betting is my thing. Anyway, I've had this chat with a few people lately and I'm amazed to hear people on this forum say they won't post hand historys because, it would give too much info on the way they play. My argument is simple, if that is true, your game is extremely weak and you're not half as good as you think you may be. I had this same chat with The Mole in Nottingham Airport, whilst Eck went in search of a double whopper at BK. His reply was that he could post up 1000 hands and you still wouldn't know what he was going to do, hence his game is not weak and one dimensional, which has been proven. Are we really scared of posting hand historys? We can't move on to the next level as players if we are. I've asked a few people's opinions on this, and they agree with what I'm saying. They also say that other forums, scandy poker forums more so than anything, post HH's galore. So are we running scared? This isn't meant to be a personal jibe at any player or all of PL players for that matter. I'm simply bringing up an issue that quite a few players need to overcome. Whilst I'm crap at poker, mainly cos I have no patience, I do understand the mechanics quite well.

Re: Hand History - Scared to post them? Im with you, there is no way people should be able to read into peoples game simply from posting HH. If anything more is learnt from people's replies than the actual post themselves. I personally think its one of the best ways to learn and how to imporve your game. My facebook inbox is full of HH and messages of my home game group discussing ways to play certain hands.

Re: Hand History - Scared to post them? I think the main reason people don't post hand histories is because they are afraid that they will be ridiculed. I think I heard teaulc mention this before I may be wrong though. I can't imagine anyone not posting in case they gave their "game away".

Re: Hand History - Scared to post them? what sort of hands do we want posting up:unsure if you post a winning hand it looks like a brag and if you post a losing hand you know you played it badly:lol (unless it was a bad beat:wall) I'd be happy to post some hands just let me know what you're after:ok

Re: Hand History - Scared to post them? I think I'm often considered the main culprit for offering ridicule :unsure If that is the case then I am making grave errors in my tone in responses. I NEVER intend any ridicule. If I disagree with the point of view, then I will say so - that's the purpose of posting the hand history (and if people disagree with my perspective, then I expect them to say so - but then I want to understand why we hold different points of view and see if I can learn anything from the other persons perspective - to do that I need to understand their perspective, which may mean "quizzing" what they say if it doesnt immediately make sense to me) - we never learn more than when we understand what someone means whom we disagree with!

Re: Hand History - Scared to post them? I've made a conscious decision to stop posting strategy HH in here due to one person (BTP)who IMO changed the forum from being a place where we can improve eachothers games to a place where he only brags about his play. Nobody else has said anything to him so i assume they like his tone and that's how they want the forum to go so i've stopped contributing. Call it a silent protest if you will ;)

Re: Hand History - Scared to post them? I've just read the last 5 posts by BTP in Poker Strategy, and sorry Nade - I've got no idea what you're talking about :unsure The tone is one of "supreme confidence" and I can only assume that is what you've objected to :unsure however his is just one of a number of opinions offered in each thread :unsure He may have some points, he may have made some errors, but surely we want people to be saying what they think?

Re: Hand History - Scared to post them? I'm not fussed about going into a big convo about him here but simply his attitude when he first started posting, up until recently in this section was pretty dire to say the least. Anyways, the majority is what matters and why the majority aren't posting any strat. i have no idea.

Re: Hand History - Scared to post them?

what sort of hands do we want posting up:unsure if you post a winning hand it looks like a brag and if you post a losing hand you know you played it badly:lol (unless it was a bad beat:wall) I'd be happy to post some hands just let me know what you're after:ok
I think the thing about posting HH is to entice discussion... even if a hand is played great... question yourself could it have been played better... and certainly ask others... could this hand be played better (not referring to once you have seen opponents hands)...
I've made a conscious decision to stop posting strategy HH in here due to one person (BTP)who IMO changed the forum from being a place where we can improve eachothers games to a place where he only brags about his play. Nobody else has said anything to him so i assume they like his tone and that's how they want the forum to go so i've stopped contributing. Call it a silent protest if you will ;)
I have only seen a couple of posts for BTP from poker and I have no doubt he is a decent enough player however his attitude could be seen as poor at times... ridiculing other players in ANY way is far from good (Claiming they are terrible and do not know because of their age/ level of experience is certainly riddiculing them, something I have seen specifically)... I certainly do not want to hate on BTP too much... I am sure that all of us write things that are a touch intense (this is probably one of the more polite things I have typed) It is by no means an excuse for useless comments that do nothing but create situations like this though... Perhaps in general people comment on others people play too much rather than aproaching the hand objectively (I am sure most will disagree)... ...I feel the best way to learn is to FULLY deconstruct a hand in its entirerty... to simply post to a point and say yea I would fold or yeh I would raise the pot here is quite useless... hands have to be posted up where people can say at every point of the hand what they would do and why (hell why not start thinking about it as you would at the table particularly in tournaments i.e. raise 80%, call 20%)... Perhaps an idea would be to create some sort of sectioning (for cash games) like 5c/10c, 25c/50c, 50c/$1.... $25/$50 (just for The Mole ;)) so that people can address problems at the level they are at (and hell maybe people that have grinded that level previously could post also)...While poker players here are of a decent standard (I am certainly not claiming to be any better... probably much worse infact) I think a lot must change in terms of attitude particularly towards the forum and how to use it as a tool... Bit of a ramble didn't know where I was going but there it is... thanks Paul for bringing this up...:ok

Re: Hand History - Scared to post them? With all due respect Nade, that's what is probably stopping you from improving too, or should I say, the rate you will improve. Nobody is above this forum, not even me, I've said this countless times before. The glaring fact is, is that poker players generally do have an ego and sometimes far bigger than it should be. In my opinion, the majority of really good players don't have ego problems. They don't need to have one. So, what you are in fact saying Nade, is because of someone else's actions, you are going to let it effect you and stop your chances of improving at even faster rate. If I had let the amount of shit fired at me, get in the way of my thinking, PL would be Gerry Cottle's Circus by now and my head would be all over the shop. Sometimes you have to learn to ignore people, that you believe are wrong or arrogant, because otherwise it will stop you moving forward.

Re: Hand History - Scared to post them? Tonights focus game is on William Hill - at the end of the tournament you get a pop up box with "Key hands for review" - I think it's a really good idea from crypto to do that - lets try and take advantage - when I'm eliminated tonight I will post all my hands that the software puts up for "review" - think it would be great if a few of us could do that :ok That way we're not picking and choosing hands to brag with or bad beats - but instead the critical/big pots that make or break our tourney :ok

Re: Hand History - Scared to post them? Nade I like you but think you're being a bit harsh on BTP here. Also do you remember the way you reacted to one of the Mole's comments. Now I'm not saying the Mole is above criticism but he's played his way up through all the levels and if you can't respect him then I don't know who you can respect.

Re: Hand History - Scared to post them? what i find frustrating reading this section is the narrow mindedness of some contributers they think they are always right everything is black and white. It isnt there are huge areas of grey is there really a right and wrong way to play every hand according to the book if everyone played from the same book wouldnt ot be stalemate i dont post hands because i play for fun and i am crap but i do like to read better players opinions and sometimes it makes sense even to me

I think I'm often considered the main culprit for offering ridicule :unsure
Oi behave:@ BTP's first post went over the heads of a few of us who just skim read, and any arrogance on his part has been matched by all of us on occasion. A real attitude problem is thanking everyone for their input if they agree with you and ignoring those who dont.

Re: Hand History - Scared to post them? To say i don't respect the Mole is one of the most laughable things i've ever read on PL. I said at the time his tone was all wrong and i've spoken in person with him about that convo. and said exactly the same, he explained his tone was his natural self and i've no gripes with him or that at all. FWIW having seen a lot of crap from BTP in here i'm not being unfair on him at all. Paul Ross: good points, you're right.

Re: Hand History - Scared to post them? BTP has been no angel in Poker, and I assure you it hasn't gone unnoticed by Mods. Perhaps I should have jumped into that situation and dealt with it, maybe I was busy at the time. However, he seems to have calmed down. It wasn't such a long time ago, that a guy called Nade came along with a similar attitude and he eventually learned that he didn't know it all, in fact he agreed he knew very little, and began to learn at a very fast rate and now has gained a lot of respect. There's hope for the others is my point, but either way, it shouldn't bother anyone. The loudest person in the room is the weakest person in the room - it may sound corny, but it's true.

what i find frustrating reading this section is the narrow mindedness of some contributers they think they are always right everything is black and white. It isnt there are huge areas of grey is there really a right and wrong way to play every hand according to the book if everyone played from the same book wouldnt ot be stalemate
Thats why some of us win 5% some of us break even and some of us lose 5%. Ive been fortunate enough to sit down with Victor Ramdin live this year and S8wman on line. I didnt know either of them from Adam but after half an hour I could see that they were both playing on a different level. Google searched afterwards and they turn out to be a top poker stars pro and a top online MTT player. Any chance of getting them to post a hand or two.

Thats why some of us win 5% some of us break even and some of us lose 5%. Ive been fortunate enough to sit down with Victor Ramdin live this year and S8wman on line. I didnt know either of them from Adam but after half an hour I could see that they were both playing on a different level. Google searched afterwards and they turn out to be a top poker stars pro and a top online MTT player. Any chance of getting them to post a hand or two.
I know what you mean glc. I felt the same when I sat down with John Tabatabai in a cash game when he was an unknown and was totally out of my depth. I've never seen anyone dominate a cash table the way in which he did.