** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Golf: The Open , 2008

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008 After 71 holes it looked like I would get at least some sort of e.w payout with Choi @ 95/1 for 7 places. Then came the quadruple bogey on the 72 second hole. Anyway thats the way it goes. Fair play to Harrington though, dodgy front nine but played some really class stuff on the back 9 to close the deal far better than last year. Formula to pick the PGA Championship winner: pick the injured player :lol

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008

Using my "Open" ratings system, these are my top 10 rated Els rating 98 (16/1) 5pts Garcia 72 (12/1) 5pts Goosen 49 (40/1) 2pts Love III 36 (150/1) 1pt Harrington 31 (25/1) 3pts :nana Appleby 29 (100/1) 1pt Curtis 28 (250/1) 1pt :eek Romero 28 (50/1) 2pts Singh 25 (35/1) 2pts Furyk 19 (25/1) 3pts 25pts staked I have put the best price against each taken from oddschecker.com Also, i will be placing the following bets: Top SA Els 6/4 3pts Goosen 4/1 2pts Top USA Love III 35/1 1pt Curtis 50/1 1pt Furyk 7/1 3pts :nana Top Aussie Appleby 9/1 2pts Top ROW Singh 12/1 2pts Romero 16/1 2pts Top Euro Harrington 12/1 2pts :nana Garcia 4/1 3pts 21pts staked
that werent a bad effort :clap 128pts returned 46pts staked

After 71 holes it looked like I would get at least some sort of e.w payout with Choi @ 95/1 for 7 places. Then came the quadruple bogey on the 72 second hole.
I know how you feel Woody, I thought my selection Appleby had blown it earlier so didn't bother to check. Just looked now and with everyone dropping shots he ended up Tied 7th with my bookie only paying the 6 places. Doh. :wall Nevermind though, congrats to everyone who made a profit :ok

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008 Was never betting in this game. But absolutely delighted Harrington retained his title :clap :clap Would have been nice if Norman won, but when he started to teeter behind, was right behind the Irish man. A brilliant winner, family man, and gentleman :ok

Had a bit on the following; P.Casey Top UK/Ire 12/1 I.Poulter Top UK/Ire 14/1 Both play the top tournaments fairly well and represent decent value here. Prices at BF. Also backed Peter Hanson to be top Nordic player at 16/1, cant believe he his twice the price of players like Jacobsen and Soren Hansen. Done Zach Johnson at 38.0 to be top USA player, massive price for a major winner in my opinion, saver on Mickelson at 7.8, too good to be that price surely. I see Harrington has gone out to 70/1 because of his wrist, bound to shorten if he comes through the first few holes ok i would have thought? Good luck guys, plenty of bets in here, must have the winner somewhere!!
Hope you had a bit on 70's Rob, was 6.80 to be in the top 10 too:ok Just to prove it was available;
2008-07-20 18:54 56638031352008-07-17 00:06 Group B The Open Championship / Winner / Padraig Harrington Back 70.00***Won***

My main bet has been Ernie Els to beat Mickelson over 72 holes at 5/6. Some may think it is crazy to back an odds on with some of the massive prices available. I just don't think Mickelson is good at The Open Championships. Mickelson made his debut as an amateur at The Open in 1991 at Birkside, before returning as a pro in 1994, playing every year since, while Els has played at everyone since 1992. The main fact that the 5/6 (which is now 8/11 on betfair) is over the 14 years that both Mickelson and Els have played at The Open, Mickelson has NEVER come ahead of Els. Els has an excellent record at The Open Championships with seven top ten positions, including a victory in 2002, and never missed the cut wheras Mickelson has missed the cut 3/14 and only troubled the leaders once when coming 3rd in 2004 (Els came 2nd). Below is the summary of the overall positions/ shots between the two:- 1991- Mickelson as amateur, no Els 1992- Els tied 5th, no Mickelson 1993- Els tied 5th, no Mickelson 1994- Mickelson missed cut 1995- Els 5 shots ahead of Mickelson 1996- Els 3rd overall, 11 shots ahead 1997- Els 2 shots ahead of Mickelson 1998- Els 16 shots ahead of Mickelson (AT BIRKSIDE) 1999- Mickelson missed cut 2000- Els 4 shots ahead of Mickelson 2001- Els 7 shots ahead of Mickelson 2002- Els won overall, 12 shots ahead of Mickelson 2003- Els 7 shots ahead of Mickelson 2004- Els 2nd overall, Mickelson 3rd overall, 1 shot ahead 2005- Els 3 shots ahead of Mickelson 2006- Els 3rd overall, 8 shots ahead of Mickelson 2007- Els 4th overall, Mickelson missed cut I have also backed Els to win outright (18), top 5 and top 10 all on betfair. Can't remember the exact prices of them all at the moment. Other bets that i have taken are: winning nationaliy - U.S. at 5/2 with Coral as 10/13 Open championships have been won by an American, with a saver bet on Spanish winner at 8/1 as i like Garcia and Jimenez and feel they could be a big danger to the leaders on the Sunday. A double over 72 holes on Garcia to beat Mickelson and Westwood to beat Anthony Kim. I think both Garcia and Westwood will be suited to the course at The Open and could be amongst the leaders while Mickelson tends to struggle and apparently Kim has struggled in some of the practice to adapt to the course. odds - 2.4/1 with Coral. Also had a small interest bet on Saxton 7/2 to be top amateur.
Well my main bet won with Els beating Mickelson by two and the record continues of Mickelson never beating Els. In a way i'm a bit relieved as but Els played well apart from his miserable performance of +10 on day one but did well just to make the cut. Overall he finished tied 7th but i just think if he had managed to do cope with the conditions a bit better i'd have at least got a top 5 payout as well as top 10. My other small stakes bets were losers with Wood being well clear at the top of amateurs and Westwood playing garbage to come below Kim but a nice profit thanks to Ernie!

Hope you had a bit on 70's Rob, was 6.80 to be in the top 10 too:ok Just to prove it was available;
2008-07-20 18:54 56638031352008-07-17 00:06 Group B The Open Championship / Winner / Padraig Harrington Back 70.00***Won***
no biggest i got was 33's as i wasnt around to check on Wednesday :\, i also note that i had Els as top SA player also so my return was 135.5pts aginst 46pts staked :nana well done on the 70.0 !!

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008 Well Done To All! Reluctantly backed Harrington @ 50,s after Thursday,more in hope than anticipation,but the Ironic thing is that I pleasantly found 2 nuggets in my Betfair account on the withdrawal of Di Marco and spent wisely,it would appear there is a Punting God after all! "Well done guys"! on the excellent Stats,Weather,and of course Banter,it made good reading! Anyway,don,t know where next week is coming from but I will reinvest!:unsure