** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Golf: The Open , 2008

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008

History isn't on McDowell's side mate. Only two previous winners at Loch Lomond have made the top 5 of The Open. The last 2 winners at LL both missed the cut the week after :\.
I think McDowell can prove me right and you wrong :nana. He right in the mix of things. :)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008 Next bet for you guys after my tip of MacDowell looking decent, cut down to 10's from 35's which i got! Retief Goosen to be leading after the 2nd round at 16/1! This is a decent price for the man who shot the best round yesterday for me. He played throughout the toughest conditions early on whilst you look at all the others who played in the afternoon when the conditions were not as bad especially when considering the rain factor. Greens Firmer etc. With the Leaders all having early starts tomorrow aswell, this is the chance for Goosen to sit-back and watch then go out onto his round and know exactly what to do if he wants to mount a serious challenge going into the weekend rounds! Also a quick 3 ball bet on StanJames. Trevor Immelman Robert Karlsson Justin Rose Henrik Stenson 21/1. Good Day!

I think McDowell can prove me right and you wrong :nana. He right in the mix of things. :)
He'll do well to prove me wrong because I never said anything about him. You asked why McDowell wasn't mentioned and I told you that history could be a reason. Remember a golf tournament is 4 rounds not one ;).

Using my "Open" ratings system, these are my top 10 rated Els rating 98 (16/1) 5pts Garcia 72 (12/1) 5pts Goosen 49 (40/1) 2pts Love III 36 (150/1) 1pt Harrington 31 (25/1) 3pts Appleby 29 (100/1) 1pt Curtis 28 (250/1) 1pt Romero 28 (50/1) 2pts Singh 25 (35/1) 2pts missed cut Furyk 19 (25/1) 3pts 25pts staked I have put the best price against each taken from oddschecker.com Also, i will be placing the following bets: Top SA Els 6/4 3pts Goosen 4/1 2pts Top USA Love III 35/1 1pt Curtis 50/1 1pt Furyk 7/1 3pts Top Aussie Appleby 9/1 2pts Top ROW Singh 12/1 2pts missed cut Romero 16/1 2pts Top Euro Harrington 12/1 2pts Garcia 4/1 3pts 21pts staked
Only vijay missed the cut out of the bets i have placed. Only 10 shots seperate entire leaderboard for top 70 (&tied) players for last 2 days. Zach Johnson at 80/1 +5 still looks a bit of value & i will add that to my portfolio for this year. Might take a view on some others later.

Been looking around and absolutely nothing stands out. Going to see how my boys do tomorrow then have another look and probably lump on the fav:lol:lol
Zach Johnson @ 80's mate, that is some price for a decent player only 6 shots off the leader & also a former major winner. Mickelson is 2 shots worse & 66/1 best. Rose is 1 shot worse & 40/1 so Johnson looks the best value in the field at that price. I backed Harrington last year @ 33's at this stage & i expect the winner to come from off the pace.

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008 Some links to live coverage are here mate. http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=14884&part=sports I've just had 1pt ew on Scott Verplank at 60's. Furyk is right in the mix for me but this afternoon's forecast is for real heavy wind and although Verplank tees off late-ish at 1.05 he's a decent enough player in the wind and hopefully can get through most of the holes before it gets too tough. He's currently on +4 so 60/1 is a big price especially as he hit 67 yesterday and I think +4 could well lead if the weather is as bad as expected. So a small stake each way on Scotty V.

When held at this course in 1998, USA held the 1st 4 places & 6 in the top 10. No players were under par The leader only had 2 sub par rounds. Only 14 players finished +9 or better Is the course that hard or was the weather poor over the 3 days. Tiger shot 77 on day 3 so i recall it was very windy/wet on the Saturday. .
I did warn you guys about the course !!

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008 still not sure who is going to win this thing, depends on the weather tomorrow, if someone gets in the clubhouse at +5, that might be enough. Norman did really well today to hold it together. Ive got 250's on curtis but for very very small stakes so will let it ride unless he gets into the lead. I was sweet on Furyk when he went joint leader at +2 & then he dropped 6 shots in next 5 holes! Still got Harrington up there also plus 12's at Top euro player so :hope he stays in there. Should be an exciting day, i want to see some birdies though so drop that wind.

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008 Adding a couple of bets. If I hit either then it'll be profit for the tournament.... Outright NORMAN @ 5.00 Paddy Power. Quite surprised by this price, I thought Norman would be at least joint fav with Harrington at about 3.75-4.00. Obviously he's been a big price throughtout with everyone expecting him to fall away, but after 3 rounds I think he deserves respect for how he's played and should be shorter than this. He was out there Saturday afternoon in the worst of the weather and matched Harrington and beat Choi by 3 shots. He's also had a couple of wobbles, the last couple of holes on Friday and just after the turn onSaturday. Both times he's come through extremely well and if it comes down to needing a putt on the back nine on Sunday I want him on my side. Also the field is quite spread, Norman has a two shot lead and tied 5th is FIVE shots behind. A solid round from Norman should take the guys +7 or worse almost out of the equation and I'm willing to take my chances with the Shark. Top 5 CURTIS @ 4.9 Betfair. Ben Curtis started the tournament treble and double bogey but since then he's been awesome. Had the best of the conditions on Saturday but still he used that to get in a decent position for Sunday. He's tied 5th at +7 and I'm willing to back him for top 5. In the mix again he has the chance to show that 2003 wasn't a fluke and think he's put in a good round. Solid price.

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008 I know someone up there!!! Not as windy as today so scoring may be atouch better...however worst of the wind should be when the leaders are going out...last pairings at 2.20pm. They should, however, have the best of it on the back six holes.

Thanks bartonbank - your tip re worsening winds helped a lot today - am sat on Curtis @ 50's etc. Do you have a similar insight into Sunday's segmented weather? Or could you direct me to your source?
If you go to the this site, click on North west England, that will lead you to a specific forecast for Royal Birkdale www.metoffice.co.uk

Adding a couple of bets. If I hit either then it'll be profit for the tournament.... Outright NORMAN @ 5.00 Paddy Power. Quite surprised by this price, I thought Norman would be at least joint fav with Harrington at about 3.75-4.00. Obviously he's been a big price throughtout with everyone expecting him to fall away, but after 3 rounds I think he deserves respect for how he's played and should be shorter than this. He was out there Saturday afternoon in the worst of the weather and matched Harrington and beat Choi by 3 shots. He's also had a couple of wobbles, the last couple of holes on Friday and just after the turn onSaturday. Both times he's come through extremely well and if it comes down to needing a putt on the back nine on Sunday I want him on my side. Also the field is quite spread, Norman has a two shot lead and tied 5th is FIVE shots behind. A solid round from Norman should take the guys +7 or worse almost out of the equation and I'm willing to take my chances with the Shark.
I agree, how Harrington can be clear fav from 2 shots behind is beyond me.

I agree' date=' how Harrington can be clear fav from 2 shots behind is beyond me.[/quote'] Possibly because he chased down a better player from 6 back last year as well as having a game perfectly suited to links golf :unsure.

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008 I backed Fisher on Friday night @ 170 with Betfair, his price has come in to the 20s now so considering laying off. I think he still has a good chance but will be tough from his position to go in to the lead.

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008 The more I think about it the more I think Harrington is a fair enough price. I've already staked 14pts and although Furyk can still win I'll have 6pts on Harrington to make the potential loss a round 20pts but equally a 3.4pt profit if he wins. 6pts P.Harrington to win The Open 2.90 Betfair It's very rare that The Open is successfully defended but Padraig Harrington has an excellent chance to do it at Birkdale on Sunday. He showed on Friday that he can tame this course when he went round it in 68 and he dealt with the conditions on Saturday fairly well apart from a wobble around the turn caused by a delay on the 10th tee. He's playing good golf and is perfectly suited to links golf. As much as people can try and make it dramatic and say 20 players can win it, the reality is that only 4 should be in real contention and one of those is very inexperienced in majors on Sunday. Harrington has done it before recently and we know how well he can play under pressure from that experience and his Ryder Cup experience. It's been great to see Greg Norman going so well this week but Harrington will be able to cover his moves and anything around par should be enough to give the Irishman his 2nd Open.

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008 Greg Norman was traded for a total of £1845 @ 1000 on Betfair before the start, there'll be a few people didn't sleep much last night! I really hope he stays aggressive today and keeps taking his driver, if he gets conservative he'll blow it. Should be fantastic viewing. Having a small bet on the world's thinnest golfer Chris Wood to beat Poulter @3.85 on Betfair. Amateur he may be but played superbly the last two days and Poulter seems to be trying a little too hard & getting down on himself.

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008 Well as Alex Ferguson Would say It,s Sqeaky Bum Time today,as you will see from my First Post on Wednesday,I grabbed Choi@ 150/1 with Betfair,and after thursdays play I grabbed Harrington@ 50/1 with Betfair,I could now back Norman and guarantee a Pay Out,but I am hoping that Choi grabs the lead early doors and I can lay him off at evs or thereabouts,but hey its a funny old game and with the conditions you could not rule out the leaders going backward into the pack and a Par golfer picking up the Claret Jug! Anyway whatever happens If Norman wins it will be a victory for the Mega Optimistic among you and hats off for a very very clever move!:clap

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008 with no one making a move as such, its for the top 6 to throw this away. I cant believe the likes of Garcia etc who start with a bogey despite being in A1 position on the fairway, he has played the shot 3 times this week already so why not lay up in front of the green, keep it straight, if it makes the dancefloor its a bonus, if it doesnt you have a short chip to get it close for a par. Course management it is called. :ok

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008 Im still none the wiser who will pull through and win this tourney today.. You would think it will be one of Harrington, Norman or Choi Howell has already shot a 67 so low rounds can be shot but it looks like the wind is picking up again so really if you could get in at say 4 or 5 over you may stand a chance.. Ive watched a lot of fisher lately and think he will be a star of the future currently 24/1 to win and 3.6/1 to place top 5 on betfair I had Lehman / Love III as tiny bets to win last night at 480/1 and 120/1 respectively, also back Johnson Antepost at 125/1 bot all 3 are 2 far behind now Stenson at 40's maybe to win or 4.3 to place currently could be a good one too as he is a very consistant player

Re: Golf: The Open , 2008 going to try to follow this through the day on Betfair

Padraig Harrington
2.94£42.98£103£595
Greg Norman
4.5£1004.6£834.7£280
K.J. Choi
5.4£255.5£1635.6£17
Anthony Kim
13£1013.5£5114£12
Simon Wakefield
19.5£7420£4921£28
Ross Fisher
18.5£1019£16019.5 £7