Bubble in a Big Tournament

GB80

I don't normally venture into this section very often, but I just want to know what people think should be done in this situation. It's a big live tournament, $1060 buy in and top prize is around $270k. The lowest money place pays about $1350. 3 places until the bubble bursts, and your in Seat 8. Big Blind is in Seat 2. You have around 200k in chips. Blinds are 600/1,200, with a 1000 ante. Average is just under 300k. Everyone folds to you, and you have Aces. Seat 9 only has around 50k left, Button has around 500k and has been raising alot, showing good hands, but has rarely called when he's not been first to act. Small Blind has only been at the table 30 mins. Has been very aggressive, but has only shown 2 hands which were AK and AQ. Big Blind has around 120k left, and has been quiet recently. Do you play, or fold?

Re: Bubble in a Big Tournament

I don't normally venture into this section very often, but I just want to know what people think should be done in this situation. It's a big live tournament, $1060 buy in and top prize is around $270k. The lowest money place pays about $1350. 3 places until the bubble bursts, and your in Seat 8. Big Blind is in Seat 2. You have around 200k in chips. Blinds are 600/1,200, with a 1000 ante. Average is just under 300k. Everyone folds to you, and you have Aces. Seat 9 only has around 50k left, Button has around 500k and has been raising alot, showing good hands, but has rarely called when he's not been first to act. Small Blind has only been at the table 30 mins. Has been very aggressive, but has only shown 2 hands which were AK and AQ. Big Blind has around 120k left, and has been quiet recently. Do you play, or fold?
You play preflop. If that means an all-in preflop, so be it. I'd raise something fairly standard here, there is 9k in antes, plus 1.8k in blinds, I'd make it 10k to go. If you end up heads up against the small stack, play it to teh death, you can afford to lose 50k and limp. Against the button and BB, you need to control pot size and maintain fold equitity, see a flop, but be prepared to lay them down against a push.

Re: Bubble in a Big Tournament i would definately play them and play them pretty hard pre flop,i wouldnt mind going out to a big pp spiking a set (well i would ,but you know what i mean;))but i would be pissed if i slo played myself into trouble:ok probably raise up to around 15-20k .if someone comes back over the top so be it , i'd take my chances and hope to double through. although the low money is still big ,i think you have to be trying to target that big money for a really good finish, your not gonna get any better position pre flop than this:ok

I'd raise something fairly standard here, there is 9k in antes, plus 1.8k in blinds, I'd make it 10k to go.
I made an error with the blinds size. It's actually 6k/12k. :$ I'm guessing it doesn't change alot though, with the answers I've got. My next question would have been I've raised it to 33k, and the small blind has pushed all in. Do I call? However I think I know the answer to that now anyway. I was just doubting whether I needed to play the hand, but the more I've thought about it through the evening I know I was right to. Thanks for the replys folks.

Re: Bubble in a Big Tournament I was in newcastle talking to numerous pros at the bar and the 1 question I asked them all was: "if your sat at the wsop main event, with AA 1st hand, and you get 5 all ins on the table, do you call or fold?" Everyone of them said the same thing "call in a flash" Me....id have folded, but they then said if your not willing to play AA preflop, you shouldnt be playing poker!

Re: Bubble in a Big Tournament Any gambler will tell you if you can get even money on a guaranteed more or less 1/4 shot you should shove as much as you can on it. In this situation you are getting more than even money with the value of the antes and bb etc slightly different I know as they don't have any monetary value but I would never fold in that situation, it would have to be an extremely lot of money for me to fold.

How many chips does the SB have ? Does he have you covered ?
Sorry, missed that bit out too. :eyes He has me well covered. Around 500k.
Did you buy direct into the event Gaz or satellite in?
I bought in direct, after a failed bingo satellite attempt. I'm 100% sure now that I played it pretty much perfectly. I got what I wanted, and that was a chance to double up and give myself a real chance at winning. It wasn't a happy ending though. :sad

Re: Bubble in a Big Tournament Now isn't the time to get tricky and it isn't the time to trap. I'd be protecting my hand and my tournament. Open and raise. I'd overraise to be honest. I wouldn't want anyone making a move pre-flop and getting lucky, and I wouldn't really want any 'play' post-flop. It sounds stupid but I may even push. If only smaller stacks are left you can play things different. The key thing is not to bust, that is THE most important thing at this stage. If I get called by bigger stack and get called when/if I bet the flop, then I'm happy to checking it out or check call. Sounds like an ugly ending unfortuntely. What happened?

Re: Bubble in a Big Tournament What a tit. He is under no pressure yet he wants to get busy and make a move. Was he Scandinavian by any chance? That's exactly what I'd be worried about, someone making a dumb move and getting lucky. The all-in stops his 'genius' play. However, you did overbet, and played actually played it better than that in theory. As you know. Just sick. :puke