** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

Racing & Football Outlook- Euro 2008 Betting Guide

Saw this in the shops today, anybody bought it, is it worth purchasing? I bought it for the last World Cup thought it would be useful for finding out info on the more obscure African/ South American teams. Don't think it would have anything better than on this forum for this tournament.

Re: Racing & Football Outlook- Euro 2008 Betting Guide They are usually very good reads mate. I buy the Racing and Football Outlook each week. Have had a few letters in it aswell actually! I'll be buying this when I see it in the shops next time I am out.

Re: Racing & Football Outlook- Euro 2008 Betting Guide Think ill purchase it as its always interesting to see the bookies views on overall winner and other people's views about who should get through the groups. Thought you'd reply on this Alex as I'm sure I read you saying they had an amazing record of picking Grand National winners, hope they can have a similar success here. Nice one AK, do you get paid for that or what? A cousty wee job that would be ;)

Re: Racing & Football Outlook- Euro 2008 Betting Guide I just wrote the "view from the ground" section which is about 100 words. I dont get paid for it, you just had to email them to volunteer. I just ran out to buy it as I forgot it was out today and im a little bit annoyed as theyve inserted a line about Senderos which I didnt write - I have more time for Senderos than others do, so im a bit unhappy about that. The rest of it is my work though.

Re: Racing & Football Outlook- Euro 2008 Betting Guide AK - thats what they did with some of my letters.... They just make up huge paragraphs and changed all the grammar!!! Still, I once got just about the entire letters page to myself - that was class.

Re: Racing & Football Outlook- Euro 2008 Betting Guide

Where can I get this sort of book?? Is it something which comes free with a newspaper or do you buy it seperately?
You buy it seperately, its a newspaper of its own available in most decent newsagents. £2.99

Re: Racing & Football Outlook- Euro 2008 Betting Guide I missed the Racing Post version on Monday. Anyone know if it's worth trying to get hold of a copy or is it the usual predictable shite that you can rely on people like Mark Lawrenson to spout. I don't need anyone to tell me Germany are in with a shout at winning it. I want someone to give me an angle I haven't considered or some other original ideas at least.

I missed the Racing Post version on Monday. Anyone know if it's worth trying to get hold of a copy or is it the usual predictable shite that you can rely on people like Mark Lawrenson to spout. I don't need anyone to tell me Germany are in with a shout at winning it. I want someone to give me an angle I haven't considered or some other original ideas at least.
Today's RP had a 64page pull out which is a decent read imo, unfortunatley I'm still none the wiser, they make good cases for so many teams and players, which further confirms to me how wide open this competition will be.

Today's RP had a 64page pull out which is a decent read imo' date=' unfortunatley I'm still none the wiser, they make good cases for so many teams and players, which further confirms to me how wide open this competition will be.[/quote'] What were their main recommended bets?

What were their main recommended bets?
I wouldn't say they had any main bets, they've got loads of write up's by different people all with different opinions. One bet that suprised me was Tony Cascarino who went for Baros golden boot. Now we've all seen Baros under perform in the Prem, but Cascarino argues that he's a diffferent player when playing for the Czech's and loves playing with Koller. At 66/1 it's not a bad shout for a player who will be the Czech's likely top goalscorer. Personally I don't fancy the Czechs this time around, but they are on the easier side of the draw, so there could be some value in it. Oh and he's 75 on betfair at present.

I wouldn't say they had any main bets' date=' they've got loads of write up's by different people all with different opinions. One bet that suprised me was Tony Cascarino who went for Baros golden boot. Now we've all seen Baros under perform in the Prem, but Cascarino argues that he's a diffferent player when playing for the Czech's and loves playing with Koller. At 66/1 it's not a bad shout for a player who will be the Czech's likely top goalscorer. Personally I don't fancy the Czechs this time around, but they are on the easier side of the draw, so there could be some value in it. Oh and he's 75 on betfair at present.[/quote'] As I wrote on the other thread, a lot depends on Baros in the starting XI - he's been training in the group which is more likely to be warming the bench for the whole week so far and Sverkos will most probably get the nod - Bruckner has always had a soft spot for Baros, but he underperformed big time even against Austrian amateurs in the warm-up games and it looks the time has (at long last) come when also Bruckner lost the faith in this most overrrated player of the Czech team - surely he should have been left out of the squad a long time ago. 66/1 is not big enough for someone who can't score in a brothel.

Re: Racing & Football Outlook- Euro 2008 Betting Guide Not sure I'd be interested in Baros for top scorer but I've been doing a bit of research into bookings and he's 5/1 with sportingodds to be booked tomorrow, which I reckon is a pretty good price. When you think of bookings you automatically think of defenders and defensive midfield players but Baros is as likely as anyone to be booked on past performance and I'd be willing to take 5/1 on him every game in the tournement until he cops one, which I'm sure he will at some stage. Similarly, if you were asked to pick the team to have the most bookings in the Portugal Turkey match you'd probably pick the Turks (the spread firms have them as a massive 10 or 11 points over Portugal in the booking supremacy market) but the Portugese had more players booked in the qualifiers than the Turks did and I'll be risking 20pts on a tie on bookings at 9/2 with william hill with a bit of saver bet of 8 points on the Portugese to have more bookings at Blue Square at 12/5 (win 82pts draw -0.8 pts lose -28pts).

What were their main recommended bets?
From the racing post Euro 2008 special i found that one of the most interesting articles was tournament scoring pattern trends. I know a lot of members on here like to bet on under and over 2.5 goals so it is worth taking note that from Euro 1980 to Euro 2004 the following occurred: 1st group game - average goals 2.0 with 72% of games under 2.5. 2nd group game - average 2.3 goals with 60 % under 2.5. last group game - average 3.0 goals with only 35% under 2.5 knockout stages - average 2.0 goals with 72% of games under 2.5. Hope this helps people that didn't see the Racing post special that like betting on number of goals per game. The basic summary is unders for first group game and in the knockout stages and over 2.5 for the last group game.

From the racing post Euro 2008 special i found that one of the most interesting articles was tournament scoring pattern trends. I know a lot of members on here like to bet on under and over 2.5 goals so it is worth taking note that from Euro 1980 to Euro 2004 the following occurred: 1st group game - average goals 2.0 with 72% of games under 2.5. 2nd group game - average 2.3 goals with 60 % under 2.5. last group game - average 3.0 goals with only 35% under 2.5 knockout stages - average 2.0 goals with 72% of games under 2.5. Hope this helps people that didn't see the Racing post special that like betting on number of goals per game. The basic summary is unders for first group game and in the knockout stages and over 2.5 for the last group game.
Yeah i saw those stats in the Ladbrokes Euro 2008 guide, Kevin Pullein mentioned it. Interesting and certainly makes sense.