** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

World Snooker Championships

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: World Snooker Championships Not going to get an early pay day but at some point tomorrow afternoon Hendry will win and the over looks good in the Higgins-Day match. 5-1 either way in the morning sees that in. Both matches which begin tomorrow I've got quarter bets interest in so I'm not going to have any more bets in those. I can't wait for the Williams-Ronnie match, that should be a cracker. I'll take an early one on Sunday though because I don't know when I'll be back from Doncaster tomorrow and I'm not convinced the price will last anyway. 10pts J.Swail to beat L.Wenbo 13/10 Boylesports Bookies have had a massive overreaction here. Sure, Wenbo saw off Doherty well in the 1st round but that doesn't mean he should automatically be favourite here. We have to remember that for the 1st 9 frames Doherty did a no show. Joe Swail was solid in beating Stephen Lee although in truth there wasn't much to beat. But we have to remember Liang Wenbo is officially ranked 66th in the world and provisionally only 53rd for a reason and that is because despite his undoubted talent he doesn't show it very often. Swail loves it here. He's been to quarters and semi finals before and seems to thrive in this environment. It's the 1st time in his life that Liang Wenbo will have played a 3 session match and so there's way too many doubts for me to be backing him at odds on. Swail is much the more solid option at a seriously big price IMO (I'd have Swail at least 4/6 if not a shade shorter) and he's the call in this 2nd round match.

Re: World Snooker Championships MURPHY @ 3.05 Batfair. Carter 6-2 up but I still think this looks a very good price on Murphy. He's a good battler and I just can't see Carter running away with this. Carter played well today but had quite a bit of run of the ball nad he has thrown away leads quite often. Murphy was decent in his first round, but average today and will need to improve tomorrow. Long way to go and I don't think Murphy should be bigger than 2.50.

Re: World Snooker Championships My remaining bets for round 2: Williams +4 frames evens 12.5 pts Very interesting contest. Too early to say Williams is back to his top from of a few years ago but clearly he is in much better form than he has been for some time, probably the best form since he lost to Ronnie here in 2006 over this distance. He demolished Davis in round 1 who looked out of his depth and did it in traditional Williams style, not necessarily the century breaks but loads of over 50 breaks. Ronnie was average first up against Liu but played better in the second session to win a game that he was expected too. Its right that he is the fav for this too but Williams returning to form is a danger to anyone and is capable of claiming at least 10 frames. Perry -2.5 frames 11/10 12.5 pts Perry is in the top 16 next season now and he deserves it, he has played consistently well all season and here is an opportunity for him to move into the q/f again of the Worlds. Bingham knows that a win here and he is top 16 bound but in truth I see a bit of a gap between the players in form and ability. Perry much like he has all season played well against Dott, who was in fair form himself. That compared to Bingham who found himself 8-3 up against Davis without playing brilliantly only then to be in deep trouble with Davis winning 5 frames on the trot and looking set win frame 17. However Davis missed and Bingham took that farme and the next to win the match but he wasnt that convincing and in Perry faces a stiffer challenge. Perry is the fav to win this match and I think he can do at the worse, 13-10. Liang wenbo -1.5 frames 10/11 12.5 pts Really really impressed with this Chinese player in round 1. Not seen a player play like that in his opening match at the crucible for some time and he demolished Doherty with a string of 50+ breaks which I will return to later. Of course this is a different experience for the youngster again, a different day and the question is can he repeat it but I can understand why he is the fav and why the bookies would be wary of him. Swail is more exposed to use a horse racing term. He does have a good record here but you sort of know what youre going to get with him whereas Liang looks a fine prospect. Im not convinced by his form either really, early in the season he was playing well but laterly his results dipped a bit and in round 1 he thrashed Lee but Lee didnt turn up at all and unlike Liang, he did not thrash his opponent with tremendous style. Liang clearly is a fine break builder who I underestimated against Doherty. His ranking doesnt do that justice at the minute. Looking at his stats this year, he has made 100 breaks of over 50 this season and a rate that is the third best on the whole tour and that is impressive, I think he can win this at the worst, 13-11.

Re: World Snooker Championships Woody, Good luck with your bets. Can I just ask one question though....what is the reasoning behind upping stakes? I would have thought that, in snooker, it would be level stakes throughout but it seems that, after Round 1, all stakes have increased 25%.....just trying to understand your rationale? :unsure

Re: World Snooker Championships

...and Murphy about to go:puke
just goes to show on their day there's not much between the top 32 players in the world. The Championship is wide open, Maguire's playing well, so's Ryan Day and then there's Ronnie, hope he's not the next fav to get dumped out.:\

Re: World Snooker Championships not going too well for me so far with Ding beating Fu then loosing to Hendry and Higgins going out too.:@ In the first quarter final is Hendry v Day with Hendry being slight favourite, i thought it would be the other way round so Ryan Day @ 2.00 looks good. Hendry is playing well but i think he got lucky against Ding, hes been knocking some nice long pots in and when he gets amongst the balls around the black he been good but then suddenly he just seems to miss random pots which you expect him to get. Day has been good allround in his match against Higgins apart from the slow start he played well all the way througheven though Higgins sort of struggled towards the end. Cant find a hanicap on any bookies for Day but betfair has -2.5 frames but no odds up yet so i'll probably take that aswell if the price is right!:hope

Re: World Snooker Championships Joe swail v Liang wenbo Really fancy swail to win this even before i knew the odds on this match. Totally agree with kev that the price on swail is to big. All the money seems to be for wenbo with swail's price drifting from around 2.3 up to 2.48 over the last few hours. Both players had pretty emphatic first round wins, with wenbo's probably being more impressive due to the fact it was his debut, but at 66 in the world(53 provisionally) suggests to me there must be a few flaws to his game and imo his price is way to short. Ok i thought he was very impressive against Doherty and the boy certainly has amazing raw talent,but he has been a pro for 4 years now, and a last 32 in the welsh open being his best result on the main tour at the age of 22(which ain't that young in snooker) makes me think the bookies have got this slightly wrong. Wenbo i would imagine came to the crucible with no fear, deep down probably thinking doherty would win, but now with a place in the quarters at stake surely there will be more pressure on this young lad and how he handles it will be a major factor. Joe swail on the otherhand has a very good record at the crucible for a player never regarded as a top 16. He always seems to raise his game here and you simply can't take anything away from his 10-3 victory over lee in the last round. With this in mind, Wenbo's first 3 session match and inexperience at this level i fancy swail strongly to win this. :hope Hopefully tomorrow there is a few more quid available to back swail +2.5 to cover but as it is my bet is, LAY WENBO@ 1.68 BETFAIR

Re: World Snooker Championships Wenbo although impressive against Doherty, did get the 'run of the balls' and as mentioned earlier has never played 3 sessions, he could revel under pressure, but alot more experienced players than him have buckled under the weight of playing at the crucible.

Re: World Snooker Championships PERRY @ 2.32 Betfair. Bingham leads 5-3 after the first session, but I'm willing to have a go with Perry at this price. First session was really scrappy, with Bingham nicking a few frames and I expect it to continue like that, with this being a very big match for both. I just see this being a very close match and hopefully Perry will be able to get it back to 8-8 after the second session. I like Perry over the longer match and fancy him to nick this.

Re: World Snooker Championships Classic crucible moment today when wenbo fluked a red without seeing it go in. As he sat back down, the ref, swail and the crowd were all in stitches before liang realised what had happened. Really like this young kid but typically i bet against him and at 6-2 it ain't lookin too good.

Classic crucible moment today when wenbo fluked a red without seeing it go in. As he sat back down' date=' the ref, swail and the crowd were all in stitches before liang realised what had happened. Really like this young kid but typically i bet against him and at 6-2 it ain't lookin too good.[/quote'] I lumped on him, he was amazing in 1st game and i don't rate swail. Next game will be good, he could be up against o'sullivan and i think hell give him a game, he wunt roll over anyway.

I lumped on him' date=' he was amazing in 1st game and i don't rate swail. Next game will be good, he could be up against o'sullivan and i think hell give him a game, he wunt roll over anyway.[/quote'] He's not won it yet.Come back by swail 9=7 C'mon Joe.

Re: World Snooker Championships Lay Ryan Day @ 2.02 Betfair 10pts Max Bet Sure, Day played well against Higgins and deserved his win. Hendry is another matter. First of all Hendry has been saying recently that he's right back in the best form of his life in practice and it's showing in this tournament. He's looking very good imo and I just don't see Day beating him at all. Hendry also still has the aura, not as much, but he still has it and just cannot see Day getting that close.

Re: World Snooker Championships Swail's not even hit anything like top gear yet, Liang was going for some crazy pots and missing and not leaving anything easy on, Swail missed a sitter on the black, to basically gift Liang a frame.If he keeps it tight the young Chinese potter will make mistakes, earlier on he tried a 4 ball plant?! when there was an easy enough safety shot on, still think there's plenty of snooker in this match, especially if Joe can take the 1st frame of the evening session, the first time in the match he'll get within 1 frame.

Lay Ryan Day @ 2.02 Betfair 10pts Max Bet Sure, Day played well against Higgins and deserved his win. Hendry is another matter. First of all Hendry has been saying recently that he's right back in the best form of his life in practice and it's showing in this tournament. He's looking very good imo and I just don't see Day beating him at all. Hendry also still has the aura, not as much, but he still has it and just cannot see Day getting that close.
Couldn't possibly disagree more if you'd said the pope was a Muslim. Day is simply a much better player than Hendry these days, as is Higgins. Day's picked up around 2,000 more ranking points than Hendry has this year. Hendry should have been out first round, Allen handed him at least 3 frames in the final session. Beating Ding is fair enough, but Ding is very poor these days and is very inexperienced at the Crucible. The price on Day is astonishing in my mind. Should probably be around 1.6isih. Lots of people going by "name" and betting on sentimentality and history will be backing Hendry meaning the shrewd punters can take advantage of the almost odds against price on a guy who has played better all year, has the more impressive win this week and is probably simply a better player now.

Re: World Snooker Championships Ronnies latest 147 here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/7371844.stm That was a joy to watch, he makes the game seem so easy and he's so natural with every shot he plays. Anyone who doesn't enjoy watching a sporting moment like that needs to go back to stamp collecting. The words legend and genius are bandied about way too easily these days but in Ronnie I think they are well deserved. :notworthy

Re: World Snooker Championships I must admit I agree with the NBAshrewdie, and am all over Ryan Day. Day wont be fazed by Hendry, and I certainly don't think Hendry has an aura anymore. From what I gather, the players see Hendry as extremely beatable and a chance to beat an EX legend, but are certainly not worried about being sat in their chair as they be if they played Ronnie or Maguire. I'll give you some stats to consider, these being in 2008 only, when Hendry has supposedly been back to some sort of form.... Ryan Day's makes a 50 break 64.5% of the time he wins a frame, Hendry 54%. Hmmmm. They have both averaged around 34% of 50 breaks so far this event by the way...with Hendry apparently back to his best! Errr, no, not for me. Some will say these stats mean nothing, when in truth I think they show everything. My biggest bet of the week, Day will win comfortably