Cricket: County Championship 2008

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2008 As for the opening games. Usually get around 100% book for cricket, which is good if you shop around to get the best price. County Championship Division One Matches

19 April 2008
10:00Hampshire (2.63)Tie (0)Sussex (1.62)100%viewodds-button.gif
10:00Surrey (2.2)Tie (0)Lancashire (1.83)100%viewodds-button.gif
10:00Kent (1.83)Tie (0)Nottinghamshire (2.25)99%viewodds-button.gif
I think Kent can see off Notts, weather permitting. Notts weakened in both batting and bowling from last season; and Broad or sidebottom won't be playing. Division 2
19 April 2008
10:00Essex (1.62)Tie (0)Northamptonshire (2.63)100%viewodds-button.gif
10:00Leicestershire (2.5)Tie (0)Middlesex (1.62)102%viewodds-button.gif
10:00Gloucestershire (2.1)Tie (0)Derbyshire (1.84)102%viewodds-button.gif
10:00Warwickshire (1.8)Tie (0)Worcestershire (2.25)100%viewodds-button.gif
Worcs look decent to beat warwicks who have players out: Jimmy Anyon (forearm), Naqaash Tahir (shin splints) and Ian Salisbury (shoulder) are injured, while Monde Zondeki is still in South Africa.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2008

Wednesday 16 April 2008Home Away bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Hampshire v Sussex (10:30BST) 2.701.6199% Details »
Hide « Hampshire v Sussex
Kent v Nottinghamshire (10:30BST) 1.852.2598% Details »
Hide « Kent v Nottinghamshire
Surrey v Lancashire (10:30BST) 2.201.83100% Details »
Wednesday 16 April 2008Home Away bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Essex v Northamptonshire (10:30BST) 1.662.6298% Details »
Hide « Essex v Northamptonshire
Gloucestershire v Derbyshire (10:30BST) 2.101.88101% Details »
Hide « Gloucestershire v Derbyshire
Leicestershire v Middlesex (10:30BST) 2.501.68100% Details »
Hide « Leicestershire v Middlesex
Warwickshire v Worcestershire (10:30BST) 1.802.25100% Details »
I'm going with 4 for this week. 3 match bets and a small top bat with Stan James. As ever all my match bets are DNB so anyone following me please don't use betfair as exchanges include the draw :ok. 10pts Kent to beat Nottinghamshire 5/6 Ladbrokes I can't possibly see how Kent and Notts can be the same price here. They look much the stronger side. Notts were promoted from Division 2 last season but their squad this year looks much weaker than that one. Kent have brought one or two in to help them and they look solid here. Joe Denly and Rob Key will lead a batting lineup which may well see Yasir Arafat - holder of a test match 44 - batting at number 10 which is incredible strength in depth really. They are well covered with the ball too with the likes of Saggers, McLaren, Arafat and Tredwell still there from last season. Perhaps the biggest key for Kent is the return of Amjad Khan who missed all of last season with injury. Azhar Mahmood has been brought into the side too and he'll provide good options with the bat and the ball so Kent look strong. Notts don't quite simply. They've lost Stephen Fleming and David Hussey from last season and Stuart Broad and Ryan Sidebottom haven't been given permission from England to play. That means Darren Pattinson, signed from the minor counties, will make his debut. Adam Voges, replacement for David Hussey will also debut as will opener Matthew Wood. Chris Read now leads the side but I'm far from convinced and at home I take the twenty20 champions to open their 4 day account this week should the weather allow it. 10pts Surrey to beat Lancashire 6/5 Coral Surrey have strengthened their squad going into this season and as I've already mentioned could take some beating, particularly if they start this season how they finished last season. Lancashire don't have the services of Murali this term and under a new captain could take a game or two to find their feet. Usman Afzaal, Saqlain Mushtaq and Pedro Collins were all big name signings in the close season for the Brown Caps and they join the likes of Mark Butcher, Jon Batty and Matt Nicholson in the side here. Also in the side is run machine Mark Ramprakash and hot shot young all rounder Chris Jordan who could well be a star this season. Scott Newman is expected to start delivering soon. This Surrey XI have a lot of international experience and will be tough to beat here. Lancashire have Andrew Flintoff available should they pick him. I'm sure they will but whether he's spot on remains to be seen. England haven't released Jimmy Anderson though so he misses out which means Sajid Mahmood and Glen Chapple will lead the attack after Dominic Cork was left out of the 12 man squad. Stuart Law has Brad Hodge at his disposal but other than he, Law himself and Mal Loye this is a pretty young batting lineup who could be pressured by Surrey's attack. The weather is likely to play a part with Friday looking a bit grim in the capital but should a result occur I think Surrey will get it. 10pts Gloucestershire to beat Derbyshire 11/10 Stan James All the talk in recent weeks has been about the side John Morris has put together at Derby. 4 players will make their debuts here but I still think Gloucester are worth backing. Gloucester have changed their coach and Jack Russell is back at Nevil Road as a "team mentor" whatever one of those is!! If you put Gloucestershire's top 6 down on paper - Spearman, Ali, Marshall, North, Gidman, Taylor there isn't many in this division which can match that. Unfortunately it's the bowling where they are a bit light. They do have Jon Lewis though and hopefully Steve Kirby will be fit to go after getting KO'd last week. Anthony Ireland has played internationally for Zimbabwe and will need to step up to the plate should Kirby not pass a fitness test. Derbyshire are like to have 4 debutants. Overseas player Chris Rogers, Dominic Telo, Nayan Doshi and new captain Rikki Clarke will all make their 1st class debuts for Derby who will be without Kevin Dean. Graham Wagg will still be a key player with the ball and lower down the order but their batting still looks a bit light, especially against Gloucester's top order. Tom Lungley is ever improving and Ian Hunter could fill Dean's place. Bristol is a tough place to win at and although the weather isn't great I feel if a winner does emerge it will be Gloucestershire. 2pts O.Shah to top score in Leicestershire vs Middlesex match 7/2 Stan James (1st Inns Only) Stan James have introduced their sixshooter to county cricket and the 6 players they include in this match are Andrew Strauss, Owais Shah and Ed Joyce from Middlesex and HD Ackerman, Boeta Dippenaar and Paul Nixon from Leicestershire. We can immediately rule out Dippenaar as he's still in South Africa playing for his state side in the twenty20 out there. That leaves us with 5 and while Ackerman and Nixon will know the track I'm going for Owais Shah. He's a player who plays well on low, slow wickets as his test and ODI performances in India and Sri Lanka testify. Leicester are missing two of their pace attack in Kruger and Du Preez who are still away with their state side back in South Africa so Leicester will have a couple of young bowlers playing. Andrew Strauss doesn't tend to play his best cricket on a typical Grace Rd pitch so we'll pass him over and with Shah hitting form last week for the MCC I'll take him to outscore this sixshooter.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2008 They all look good shouts Kev. I was considering Surrey, though left it as just punted on them for the title. Gloucs have a great top 6, though wil find it difficult to bowl derbys out twice. Pattinson has played around 10 games for the state side Melbourne in Oz, in the last two seasons. Backing against my own team myself though.

They all look good shouts Kev. I was considering Surrey, though left it as just punted on them for the title. Gloucs have a great top 6, though wil find it difficult to bowl derbys out twice. Pattinson has played around 10 games for the state side Melbourne in Oz, in the last two seasons. Backing against my own team myself though.
Cheers mate. I had Surrey and Lancs nearer 5/6 both of them but I'm sure Flintoff's inclusion has something to do with it but with Surrey so big I think they are worth backing although as I say rain may win. Kent look a bit stronger all round don't they? Think our two sides will be fighting to stay up rather than win it mate :sad.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2008 It may be jumping on the bandwagon somewhat but 5/6 Kent to beat Notts is huge, I just cannot see any chance of Notts winning so its worst case money back. My only (very slight) reservation is that Kent got absolutely stuffed at home to Durham first game 2 seasons ago when Durham had just been promoted.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2008 As for ante-posts, I am very much going against the grain with these 2: SUSSEX 5/1 each way CC 1. They have won it the last 2 years, despite an atrocious start last year, and they remain a class act. Surely a team that is at least as strong as last year with the addition of this Harris bloke are nailed on for a top 3 finish at least? I cannot have Notts, Kent or Hampshire making any sort of challenge, so its 3 from 6 to fill the place money. Also, I have a nibble on SOMERSET @ 12/1. You dont need to win all 16 games, their batting looks really solid. It would not be the first time the division 2 champions won division 1 the next season, its all about getting off to a flying start. The bowling is one the weaker ones in the section admittedly, but Caddick can carry them and I am again hopeful of a decent run.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2008 Mixed day for me really but with the weather expected to be awful on Friday and Saturday I should be ok. Looking at the weather forecast in Bristol, it's supposed to be perfect tomorrow and only showers on Friday. Gloucestershire lead Derbyshire by 92 runs with 4 1st innings wickets left but Adshead is there and Hardinges and Lewis are still to come and both can hold a bat so a 150 lead after 1st innings isn't out of the question and there's a strong chance Gloucestershire will be able to finish that one off as I don't know many Bristol pitches which get better. Surrey look like they can't lose from here whether it rains or not which is good and Owais Shah has posted 116 with only Joyce, Ackerman and Nixon who can beat it but Joyce is likely to run out of partners. Just Kent who are in a bad position but the rain is meant to be heavy down there on Friday if they can hang in. So after day 1 I'm pretty pleased and hopefully will come out with a profit this week.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2008 Great start for "Aussie" Pattinson for Notts. Heard him on the radio and he has a strong aussie accent with plenty of cricket action there. The season could go a bit better than I thought. The bowling looks strong, batting a bit iffy, as Voges no way as good as Hussey who may only make a few games for Notts this season, and I don't rate opener Wood. Ramps starts off the season with his usual customary century!

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2008 Rob Key, nice one. Winning the toss and batting Dont be deceived by the Gloucs game. The clouds kept coming out when Gloucs got their wickets. Kirby has no pace anymore and just bowls through sheer agression. Got real lucky when North should have been given out LBW for 1. seen the video and he was plum They have a great top 4 but not much after that. Kirby and Lewis only 2 decent bowlers. Their back up ones are awful. North got lucky with his part time spin and stole a few wickets but in one day games I`d be scared they wouldnt be able to defend a good score.

I know you made a stack but that is a real weak line up. Tail starts at 4:loon
Allenby didnt look like a tail ender yesterday :) Dippenaar and Du Preez to come into that batting line up dont forget......;)

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2008 Forgot to update this thread last night. Kent were battered and Owais Shah's 116 wasn't enough to outscore Ackerman. Gloucestershire had the match at their mercy before the rain came in to save Derbyshire which was annoying. Surrey vs Lancs was also rain affected so -12 for the week for me. Hopefully the weather will pick up and the Championship won't be the struggle it was last year. Next matches are on Wednesday.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2008 One stand out bet for me. Somerset to beat Lancs 13/8 at Boylesports. To me this price is all wrong. Lancs are continually over-rated, Somerset time will tell this season but I really do think they are a decent team, with some big gun batters and theres always Andy Caddick to take 14 of the 20 wickets they will need. Boylesports have gone well out of line with their price, I would surprised if the 13/8 lasts until Wednesday morning

One stand out bet for me. Somerset to beat Lancs 13/8 at Boylesports. To me this price is all wrong. Lancs are continually over-rated, Somerset time will tell this season but I really do think they are a decent team, with some big gun batters and theres always Andy Caddick to take 14 of the 20 wickets they will need. Boylesports have gone well out of line with their price, I would surprised if the 13/8 lasts until Wednesday morning
Caddick is out injured mate. Anderson is back for Lancashire. That might have something to do with the big price. I'll come back with more thoughts for tomorrow later on.

Wednesday 23 April 2008Home Away bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Durham v Surrey (10:30BST) 1.802.25100% Details »
Hide « Durham v Surrey
Lancashire v Somerset (10:30BST) 1.612.50102% Details »
Hide « Lancashire v Somerset
Sussex v Kent (10:30BST) 1.532.80101% Details »
Hide « Sussex v Kent
Yorkshire v Hampshire (10:30BST) 1.662.45101% Details »
Derbyshire v Essex (10:30BST) 2.621.61100% Details »
Hide « Derbyshire v Essex
Middlesex v Glamorgan (10:30BST) 1.443.25100% Details »
Hide « Middlesex v Glamorgan
Northamptonshire v Warwickshire (10:30BST) 2.251.75102% Details »
Hide « Northamptonshire v Warwickshire
Worcestershire v Leicestershire (10:30BST) 1.762.3799% Details »
2 for me this week. Did look at Yorkshire but even though Hoggard is playing something's telling me to leave it alone. Probably us chasing down 405 to win up at Headingley 2 years ago is keeping me away from it but whatever it is my focus of attention is Division 2 this week. 10pts Warwickshire to beat Northamptonshire 8/11 Ladbrokes Warwickshire will count themselves fortunate to come away from their 1st match with a draw as only a rained off final day saved them from what looked like certain defeat to Worcestershire. Northants however weren't so fortunate and got bashed up at Essex in the opening match. Northants will welcome their captain into their side here and will also bring Monty Panesar into the side for his 1st game this season. I'm still not convinced they'll be enough to win this game though. Lance Klusener performed well with the bat last week as did a couple of others but there was no contribution from their middle order and Riki Wessels batted 5 last week and he's simply not good enough to bat there IMO. Northants don't really have much of a seam attack, and much will rely on the spin twins with the ball. Warwickshire have Ian Bell and Tim Ambrose at their disposal this week and that makes their batting so much stronger. They'll go into a top 6 alongside Darren Maddy, Ian Westwood, Jon Trott and either Powell or Troughton so that's very much the top 6 which Warwickshire started their season in Division 1 off brilliantly with last season. Monde Zondeki makes his debut and Jimmy Anyon returns and with the likes of Carter and Daggett they'll form a good seam attack. Ant Botha provides a solid spin option. Warwickshire are a country mile ahead of Northants in terms of quality, squad depth and ability and even though this is at Wantage Rd I still think the Bears will claim the win here. It could just be too soon for spin to dictate even here and if spin doesn't dominate it will be a long 4 days for Northants. 10pts Essex 1st Inns Lead vs Derbyshire 8/11 Ladbrokes Essex's batsmen showed they were all in fine form in their opening 2 matches this season. They've already hit 503/5 declared in the 4 day match with Northants and then followed that up with 317/5 in the FP Trophy match at the weekend. They did both of those without Ali Cook who plays for the 1st time this season in this match. Jason Gallian, Mark Pettini and Ravi Bopara have all scored decent runs already this season and another high total could await Essex here. Derbyshire made nothing like 500 in both their innings put together in their Championship match with Gloucestershire last week and worse still for them is that all rounder Greg Smith is out of this match with an arm injury. He's going to be replaced by a wicket keeper who'll play as a batsman which can't be ideal. Even with Smith in it Derby's batting lineup still looks on the weak side and with Essex having Andre Nel and David Masters in good form already I expect Derby to be bowled out for less than Essex 1st time around.

Caddick is out injured mate. Anderson is back for Lancashire. That might have something to do with the big price. I'll come back with more thoughts for tomorrow later on.
Cheers Kev, on the ball as usual. That will have everything to do with the big price, will have to improve my research! 13/8 is still a very price, just the blinding value I thought it was.

It says on the BBC Worcester have drawn with Leicester even though day 2 is not even over Has the ground flooded again in a matter of minutes or something?!
Looks like it was a mistake Although looks like yet another draw on the cards.........:\

Looks like it was a mistake Although looks like yet another draw on the cards.........:\
It's why I predicted you'd finish low down the table mate. Any small amount of rain is just going to keep you off the field at New Rd which will result in draws. Shame really because you've got a half decent side which will obviously improve when Edwards comes over. As for my bets this week, we had to wait longer than I'd have liked but eventually Essex secured a 1st innings lead against Derbyshire whom the pre-season money which was piled on them looks wasted already. Northants lead Warwickshire by a shade under 300 but won't want to declare straight away so hopefully Warwickshire will be able to bat whatever time they have to out and I'll record a profit for the week.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2008 Yea, sounds like we are doing well in the CC this year, but rain as usual halting us. Got Leicester on the ropes really as it stands, and Warwickshire would have been an easy win.....oh well, part and parcel I guess I try listening to the games on the radio but the commentary is awful so I usually last 10 minutes at a time!!

Yea, sounds like we are doing well in the CC this year, but rain as usual halting us. Got Leicester on the ropes really as it stands, and Warwickshire would have been an easy win.....oh well, part and parcel I guess I try listening to the games on the radio but the commentary is awful so I usually last 10 minutes at a time!!
You've certainly started the season off well mate. I'm off down to the Rose Bowl next month for Hampshire vs Wooster in the FP Trophy in a day night match which should be a good game. Think you'll have Hick back by then. Pretty certain that game is on Sky if you get that out there :ok