** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Group B

AJ

Re: Group B Personally just can't see past Germany and Croatia qualifying from this group but definitely wouldn't rule out Croatia topping the group after seeing the ability of there team in the qualifying. With players like Kranjcar Croatia could be a real dark horse (if as expected, they qualify) in the knockout stages as they are difficult to beat. It will be important to top the group for chance of progress in the tournament as the runner up of this group will probably face Portugal in the quarters. I think Austria are easily the weakest team in the competition and i feel they'd do well to get any points even though they are hosts and will have a large backing behind them.

Re: Group B I hope Poland will qualify in play offs, but it will be very hard. I saw match between Poland and USA (0-3...) and polish players in this match looked very badly. But maybe they'll mobilize in Euro, I'm optimistic. 1. Germany 2. Poland! 3. Croatia 4. Austria

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Group B hard to dispute what everyone has already said the top two are head and shoulders here with poland well above a poor austria in last. The 1.91 on croatia to beat austria must be bet of the tournament if not year, austria are just awful and croatia are a vastly underrated side.

Re: Group B 1.Germany 2.Croatia 3.Austria 4.Poland See that Austria will push their efforts at the tourney. Croatia will be the second with a very good Mladen Petric, germany will be first and poland (the same like the world cup) will burgle.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Group B

germany will be first and poland (the same like the world cup) will burgle.
this tournament will be a totally different ball game for Poland. I might be biased of course but Poland look much sharper under Leo Benhakker's guidance and mentally seem to be prepared for this. I would not look too much into our recent defeat in the friendly against USA, where we lost 0-3. Just another test game, not a competitive one. Having the hosts in the group will be tricky but I'd be surprised if Austria did any damage here. Slightly speculative bet that I might consider would be to lay Germany to qualify form the group: @1.16 - 1.17. Croatia, a quality team. Games against them will decide who goes to the next stage. It's actually a much tighter group than everyone else thinks. 1. Croatia 2. Poland 3. Germany this is where you start laughing ;) 4. Austria

hard to dispute what everyone has already said the top two are head and shoulders here with poland well above a poor austria in last. The 1.91 on croatia to beat austria must be bet of the tournament if not year, austria are just awful and croatia are a vastly underrated side.
I'm still puzzled by the price... But have to agree, who cares it's the opening game... Croatia is sooo much better than Austria. I know it's stupid but I'm considering to s*** like a 1/4 of my betting money on them... at THIS price? :loon :nana

Re: Group B Pinnacle

Group B – German’s Fancied to Cruise Into Knock-out Phase Having approached the 2006 World Cup as unfancied hosts, Germany surpassed expectations reaching the semi-finals, and winning over a sceptical public. That momentum continued into Euro 2008 qualification under Joachim Low, and a little-changed squad who at 1.662* top the Euro 2008 Group B betting at PinnacleSports.com. The Germans qualified with the highest goals tally, but were beaten to the top of Group D by the Czech Republic, who inflicted their only defeat – though qualification was by then already assured. The national team recently celebrated its 100th anniversary with a 4-0 win over co-hosts Switzerland, where three goals from the strike-pairing of Mario Gomez and Miroslav Klose underlined the duo’s potency.

Re: Group B Poland @3.25 SkyBet to qualify for next stage look a shade too big. Been gradually improving their FIFA in line with many good performances. Good performaces against Portugal and the Czech Republic mixed in with defeats against the likes of the USA and Hungary.

Re: Group B 1. Germany 2. Croatia 3. Poland 4. Austria This is my view of the end of group B. But can expect Croatia on the first place and maybe Austria on 3th position. For Croatia will be harder now without top scorer Eduardo, but there are also lot of other player in top form. Modric(Tottenham), Kranjcar(Portsmouth), Olić(Hsv), Petric(Dortmund), Rakitic(Schalke), all of them had great season in their clubs. Also, we can expect a lot of Klasnic after his return from drama with the Kidney, he started to score for Werder, than Corluka(manchester city), "fighters-brothers" Kovac, Srna(Sahtar)... Its stupid to name all the players, but they are good for sure. Croatia is stronger maybe than the team we got 1998 in France after 3th place... You will see that.

hard to dispute what everyone has already said the top two are head and shoulders here with poland well above a poor austria in last. The 1.91 on croatia to beat austria must be bet of the tournament if not year, austria are just awful and croatia are a vastly underrated side.
Totally agree mate, I've been thinking about this game for a while, Croatia are 2.02 on Betfair, they are one of the dark horses for this tournament while Austria by all accounts look a poor team, might have a big bet on this. Germany Croatia Poland Austria

Re: Group B Austria qualify for the tournament automatically as co-hosts, and make their debut in the finals. It is interesting to note that in the 12 previous tournaments that have been held, 10 host nations have made the semi-finals (and on every occasion in the last 9 tournaments), so the Austrians will be hoping that they home support can work in their favour too. However, they face a tough task if they are to progress beyond the first round as they are grouped with three-time winners Germany, England's conquerors in the qualifiers, Croatia, and Poland, who won their group during qualifying. A host nation hasn't lifted the trophy since France in 1984. Historically, 4 hosts have made it to the final and 3 of those won. In recent matches Austria have struggled for goals. Germany qualified as runners up behind the Czech Republic during qualifying but finished a comfortable ten points clear of third placed Ireland. Lucas Podolski (10 goals in 40 this season for Bayern) was the top scorer in their group with 8 goals as they finished with 8 wins, 3 draws and 1 defeat (at home to the Czech Republic), scoring 35 goals (highest scoring team in the qualifiers) and conceding just 7. 13 of those goals, however, came in a 13-0 romp over San Marino, with Podolski netting four times, as Joachim Low's side set a new record with that result. Miroslav Klose (21 in 47 games for Bayern) also had a good qualifying campaign, bagging five goals. The Germans were unbeaten for their first 9 qualifiers, however, they did get beaten by the Czechs and ended qualifying on a low note with a 0-0 draw with Wales. They kept 7 clean sheets during qualifying. Historically, Germany have the best record of any nation to have entered this competition, they have reached the final 5 times, winning three times. They have also qualified for the finals more times than any other nation. At Euro 2004 Germany failed to get past the group stage, finishing behind Holland and the Czech Republic, but ahead of debutants Latvia. Croatia won England's qualifying group, twice beating Steve McLaren's side, to qualify from Group E along with Russia. Managed by former West Ham defender Slaven Bilic, Croatia won 9 and drew 2 of their 12 games, scoring 28 and conceding 8. Their sole defeat was a shock 2-0 defeat to Macedonia in the latter stages of the campaign but they registered some impressive victories en route to the finals, beating England 2-0 in Zagreb and then repeating the outcome with a 3-2 win at Wembley. Both times they faced Russia they showed defensive resolve to fight out two 0-0 draws. Arsenal's Eduardo was their top scorer during the qualifiers but will be missing from the finals through injury. Mladen Petric (13 goals in 29 for Borussia Dortmund) was their second highest scorer with 7 goals and was the 6th highest scorer in the qualifiers as a whole. In their last appearance at the Championships in 2004 Croatia failed to qualify from a group containing England, France and Switzerland. The only other time they have reached the finals was in 1996, when they reached the quarter finals. Poland, managed by Dutchman Leo Beenhakker (former Trinidad & Tobago coach), ran out the winners of their qualifying group finishing a point ahead of Portugal with a record of 8 wins, 4 draws and 2 defeats, scoring 24 and conceding 12. Their defeats came against Finland (home 1-3) and Armenia (away 0-1) but they managed to record a 2-1 win over 2004 finalists Portugal with a 2-1 win in Warsaw and held out for a 2-2 draw in Lisbon. With 9 goals, Racing Santander striker Euzebiusz Smolarek (4 goals in 28 games this season) was the top scorer in the group and 3rd best overall in the qualifiers. They kept 6 clean sheets during qualifying. This is their first ever appearance in the finals. Arthur Boruc has now taken over from Jerzy Dudek in goal. Verdict: Croatia have perhaps the easiest of the opening fixtures against Austria. The co-hosts are making their debut in the championship but even from friendly results have not looked a formidable force against lowly ranked opposition and the Croats should get off to a flying start in their opening fixture. Slaven Bilic's side showed their credentials doing the double over England and they should push Germany all the way to head the group. Germany are expected to beat neighbours Poland in their opening fixture but face Croatia in a tricky second fixture. Even if they were to slip up, however, the German's should overcome Austria in their final game and is looks as if Joachim Low's side will win the group, with Croatia taking second spot. The difference between the top two could be that the Germans are full of goals whereas Croatia are missing Eduardo.

Re: Group B A slightly biased opinion of a Polish fan :drums 1. Croatia 2. Podolski & Klose :wall 3. Austria 4. Poland Croatia will beat Austria and Germany but will share points with Poland (in their last, meaningless group stage match). Germany will defeat Austria and Poland. The only tricky game for me is Austria vs Poland and I trust the hosts to have a slight edge over very inconsistent Polish national team. Other early thoughts are: Germany -1 over Poland - it won't be a close affair - trust me. Both "traitors" mentioned above will take care of our defence and "Big Mac" Boruc. Jacek Krzynowek to be Polish top scorer (6.0 - local bookie). Playmaker/ left wing with great long- and mid range shooting (probably our main weapon against other teams d-fence). Very experienced and reliable player who played for Bayer, Wolfsburg and Nuremberg in the BL. Total goals for Poland in the group stage to be under 3,5 (1.75 local bookie) - well, if you believe in a thing called "sure bet" it should be your choice. To break this line we would have to score against Ger, Cro and twice against Aut. Mission impossible :dude

It will be important to top the group for chance of progress in the tournament as the runner up of this group will probably face Portugal in the quarters.
QF Winner Grp A Vs. Runner-up Grp B (Basel - St. Jakob-Park) QF Winner Grp B Vs. Runner-up Grp A (Vienna - Ernst Happel) QF Winner Grp C Vs. Runner-up Grp D (Basel - St. Jakob-Park) QF Winner Grp D Vs. Runner-up Grp C (Vienna - Ernst Happel)

Re: Group B In a way I see this as the most straight forward group in this tournament. Germany and Croatia will go through to the next stage and the only one of the other two that could stir something up would be Poland. I can't see Austria having a chance, despite playing at home. Wouldn't suprise me to see Germany winning the group, possibly the whole Euro, but I will give a try on Croatia wo win Group B @ 3,40. 1.Croatia 2.Germany 3.Poland 4.Austria

Re: Group B I think Poland is underestimated here. They have a lot of players playing internationally and the new foreign coach really works wonders. I think Poland has a new era of football, this bunch is more professional than the drunken squad they had at a last tournament.

Re: Group B Croatia looking a bit flat up front now, might take a shot at Poland to qualify... wonder if it's a smoke screen or the bubble has burst having thrashed England... maybe missing Edouardo is too much damn, so many questions :sad

Re: Group B Have already said in other threads on PL, have had a big bet on Croatia to beat Austria on Sunday. This is the standout bet for me in all of the group stage. Cant see Austria getting anything out of the game as they are a shockingly bad side and Croatia are here because they deserve to be (winning 9 out of 12 in qualifying) so a must bet.

Re: Group B Tip Detail SportFootball (Internationals) EventGroup B Straight Forecast SelectionGermany 1st, Austria 2nd Strength5/10 Date16/06/2008 Bookmaker/Price>Bet365 @ 9.00 (Back) ReasoningI take it for granted that Germany will top group B. I know the Germans have not won a single game in the last 2 editions of these finals, losing 3 and drawing 3, thus eliminated from their group stage in both Portugal 2004, and Holland/Belgium 2000, but I cannot see a worthy opposition to stop the Germans this time. Croatia for example have lost Eduardo to a long-term injury, and they haven’t been the same since. 4 friendlies in 2008 produced a mere 1-0 win over Moldova, while they drew 1-1 to Scotland and Hungary, and lost 0-3 to Holland. They have been generally pretty poor without Eduardo, and cannot win a game IMHO. Poland could have an outsider chance only because they know how to play the Germans (remember the last WC in Germany, when the Manshaft needed a last gasp goal to secure the 3 points through a 1-0 win?), but they only qualified to the finals because everyone else in their group were equally as bad, what with Serbia losing to Kazakhstan and drawing to Armenia, Finland losing to Azerbaijan and drawing also to Armenia, Plus both Serbia and Finland drawing twice each against Portugal and once against each other, thus everyone throwing away points in Poland’s favour. In fact, Poland themselves lost to Finland at home, and followed that by a home draw to Serbia, but a win over Portugal made sure these earlier disappointing results were balanced, and eventhough Poland lost to Armenia towards the end of the qualifiers, Serbia’s surprise loss to Belgium followed by a draw to Finland, with Poland drawing at Lisbon in what would be one of the strangest games I’ve ever seen, still let the Poles off the hook and got them into the finals. But let’s face it, Poland are as poor as they were in Germany 2006, and wins over the Czech Republic, Albania, Estonia and Finland in friendlies held in 2008 won’t hide it. They also drew to Macedonia and lost 0-3 to the USA. The one team that remains then in Austria, whom maybe too weak to stop the Germans, but could be good enough to beat both Croatia and Poland. In their latest friendly fixture, Austria proved to be quite ready for the event, beating Malta by 5-1. Before that they drew 1-1 to Nigeria, and before that barely lost 3-4 to Holland after going 3-0 up. They obviously can’t defend well, but they sure can score goals. The 1st of their friendlies in 2008 was a 0-3 reverse to Germany though. Amongst their impressive results towards the end of 2007 was a 3-2 win over Cote d’Ivoire, which –along with the loss to Holland- shows they can occasionally play well, but probably are not consistent even within the same game. The H2H records don’t look good though, as –for example- there’s only one (friendly) game on record between Austria and Croatia, and it ended 4-1 for Croatia, while the last time they were drawn with Poland it was in Germany 2006 qualifiers and the Poles won both games. The problem with Austia is they have almost no high profile player than can turnm the match their way at any given time. The most established of their player could be Boro’s Pogatetz, Napoli’s Garics, Bremen’s Harnik, Braga’s Linz and Panathinaikos’ Ivanschitz (captain). Still, I’m convinced that they are –at least- on an equal start point with both Poland and Croatia, with a slight advantage being at home, thus the value is on them –of the 3- to qualify after Germany, and even more with William Hill considering BetFair go only 10 (9/1) on that market, while Bet365 have priced it at 9 (8/1). My choice for the tip is Bet365 though as the net win would be 40 units vs 33 with William Hill due to staking limitations on Sports-Punter

Re: Group B Austria v Croatia under 2,5 1,85 6/10 interwetten 60-40 for me this bet. Croatia is different team without Eduardo. They playing like France (very good defensive but bad attack). Austria is outsider but they are on home ground. I think it will be 1:1 resultat... :gimme

Re: Group B Germany first Croatia second 7/4 7.5 pts Germany as I have already highlighted look strong and I believe Croatia are clear of the rest to join them. indeed some might say they are decent things to upset Germany but Im not too sure about that and remember they are missing one of their main men in eduardo who they will miss depite Modric's brilliance wink2.gif Even if Germany dont beat Croatia they play Austria last so the possibility of a thrashing if required to get them through on top should be a benefit. Austria despite being at home look lacking and their odds indicate that and Poland rarely get round one round at major championships in recent years. Germany to beat Croatia for me.

Re: Group B Austria V Croatia 1.96 (BetDaq) I was going to leave this alone but simply cannot resist Croatia at this price. Backing against one of the host nations in a major tournament is normally a no go zone for me, however I just don't see Austria getting the partizan support you would expect for such a game. For the last 13 months the hosts have been playing nothing but friendlies, over this period they 'boast' a record of P13 W2 D5 L6.....:\ It's worth noting 12 of these were played in Austria. There last victory was in their final warm up game a few days ago against Malta 5-1. In terms of FIFA Rankings they sit in 92nd place below New zealand & Guatemala and 1 place above Thailand. I know strange things can happen in tournament football but even with Austria benefiting from home support, I give Bilics side a 65% chance, nearly Even money represents good value.

Re: Group B My bets for Sunday: Austria-Croatia Miracles do happen but unless a miracle happens Austria will be packing their bags after the group stage and go (or is it stay?) home. They were not present in any of the last 3 Euro Final stage competitions, they rank 92nd in the FIFA ranking (evidence that they're a poor team) and even Austrians joke about them being the tournament. They have one or two interesting players like striker Roland Linz from Braga but that's about it. Croatia is a good team (much better than Austria) with a lot more experience at this level as they reached the quarter finals in 1996 and also participated in 2004. They had a very good run in the Qualifying stages and despite the absence of Arsenal's striker Eduardo they can surely beat Austria in their home ground. At this price (1.95) it surely looks like a "value" bet for me. My pick: Croatia -0.5 AH (Asian Handicap); Germany-Poland Interesting game this one. Germany won the 1996 Euro in England but after that they have not won a single game both in 2000 and in 2004 group stages...this makes them the top team in the competition with the longest winless streak despite being the ones with the most Euro titles (3 in total)...funny thing. German team is strong but a few players had a poor season and the centre defenders are slow and not up to the rest of the team which might cause them problems. Poland never beat Germany before according to my records but they surely had a great Qualifying campaign, have some very good players and "old fox" coach Leo Beenhakker (a great coach IMO) surely has them playing like a team and a hard one to beat. Last 3 official games between these teams were unders with a 0-0 draw and two Germany victories by 1-0. I see the Germans as favorites but will not jump on their bandwagon. My pick: Poland +1,25 AH (Asian Handicap); Good luck! JC

Re: Group B Croatia -1 (EH) Austria and Croatia have met on three previous occasions, each of them friendlies, and Croatia have won all three matches, most recently on 23 May 2006 when they won 4-1 in Vienna. While Croatia are missing Eduardo up front who scored the goals to get them here, they do have a very good midfield who will create chances against the Austrians. Their is a big gulf in class between the two teams which should see Modric and Kranjcar exploit this in midfield. Germany - Poland under 2.5 Their is no love lost between these two neighbours and should be a close affair. While Germany are obvious favourites especially with their very good record agaisnt the Poles, the Poles did top the qualifying group ahead of Portugal and should not be underestimated. The last time these two teams met was in the World Cup in 2006 where it took a 91st-minute goal from substitute Oliver Neuville to seal a 1-0 victory. With the rivalry between the two sides, look to Poland to take it to them but still ensuring they are tight at the back as the Germans do have a good strikeforce in KLose and Podolski. There is alot of expectations that this will be an easy German win but I wouldn't be surprised if this ends in a draw so the under is a safer bet