** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

PL members room

kippe6

morlspin mentioned this last night about lurkers with no intention of joining waiting for us to post value games up for each other. surely a members only room for this sort of thing would keep the value in the games and the leechers out,what do other people think about this ps theres something going on at nordic on friday cant do screen shots so have a look

Re: PL members room Whilst I can see the positives in this, most of us were probably lurkers at one stage. I know that a number of members (myself included) are also members/lurkers on other forums and will almost certainly get information from these and bring it to PL. Some people will appear as guests on the site because they're at work (another PC) and unable to sign in to PL as themselves. i think it would be difficult for new members to integrate and see what benefits there are to joining if these posts were hidden in members-only rooms.

Re: PL members room Personally think this is a good idea,you wouldn't have to lock down the whole thing but until members reached say the 50 posts of a decent calibre(only 49 to go for me:tongue2)you could have things along the lines of the daily tournies and pl exclusives alongside the extra value tournies coming up in it until they had passed then place them in the open therefore newbies could see the value in joining with worthwhile contributions. I came as a lurker for some time and whilst i only looked at the paradise thread for some time I joined because of the effort that avon put into the thread and thought it was somewhere i would like.(blame avon for me joining) I think this could prevent a lot of the "join on the day when there is a password game never to be seen again" brigade,when they are turned down/banned. I would leave the bpp in the open forum but move the pb/daily winnings also.

Re: PL members room Don't think I agree with this. I'm a member of another forum where there are a few basic forums that everyone can see for "Gold members". You have to post some decent stuff to be allowed in - do idea hopw I got in then:unsure. If you don't post regularly you get thrown back out into the basic area. I don't think it's really worked, all of the Gold members just post in the Gold member forum and the basic bit looks crap and empty which must put people off from posting. I think the PL poker forums have it about right with restricting access to certain tournaments by post count or BPP scores which encourage people to post/play and stop the freeloaders.

Re: PL members room

Don't think I agree with this. I'm a member of another forum where there are a few basic forums that everyone can see for "Gold members". You have to post some decent stuff to be allowed in - do idea hopw I got in then:unsure. If you don't post regularly you get thrown back out into the basic area. I don't think it's really worked, all of the Gold members just post in the Gold member forum and the basic bit looks crap and empty which must put people off from posting. I think the PL poker forums have it about right with restricting access to certain tournaments by post count or BPP scores which encourage people to post/play and stop the freeloaders.
Sums it up perfectly I think:ok

Re: PL members room But in my version they would still see the value games once they are passed and with the amount pl puts up would still encourage those who would be genuine plers,but im still a relative newbie so perhaps not practical as i say i didn't join because of the value games but rather the work of another member so i am probably wrong.

This works both ways though. Surely the value games encourages people to join too? A closed forum is a very bad idea imo, but I'll let Lord GaF have his say. :ok

Re: PL members room Cant have a closed members area surely, it begins to look very unfair for new members. Would a better option not be to make these tournaments only open to people with a post count of 20+ or something? Surely then there wouldnt be any sign ups on the day. This also has the advantage of attracting people to come and post in the forums if they want to play. Everyone wins as far as I can see. We can also have a wee bit that if a new member has made a sigfnificant contribution in fewer posts, it would be up to admin/moderator's discretion. :ok:ok

Re: PL members room Unfortunately this doesn't stop them registering for the day never to be seen again.The restriction would apply the same for playing as new member posts,but it wouldn't encourage the "whats the password" single posters who come in solely for that purpose.I am not talking about some big secret forum but rather something to discourage those who would not participate in any other way.Anyway posted my thoughts(too many times i hear the cry)i'll leave it be at that;)

Cant have a closed members area surely, it begins to look very unfair for new members. Would a better option not be to make these tournaments only open to people with a post count of 20+ or something? Surely then there wouldnt be any sign ups on the day. This also has the advantage of attracting people to come and post in the forums if they want to play. Everyone wins as far as I can see. We can also have a wee bit that if a new member has made a sigfnificant contribution in fewer posts, it would be up to admin/moderator's discretion. :ok:ok

Re: PL members room Private members Forum Personally I cant see the point in it? What are you going to post in the private forum, PL tournaments -only regular members gets the password to these events anyway. I just cant see why have a private members forum,or even what you are going to post in it....:\

Re: PL members room The main difference between poker and the other sections are that the other sections share information with the world wide web with the intention of bashing the bookies, whilst if poker players share the information with the world wide web then basically they are inviting more competition. That is the only thing I don't like about being open. What I do like is that you can promote PL to a wider audience and invite other players to 'try before they buy'. If we hide the value tournaments from people who browse PL, but the same people can come across the same tournaments in other places then who are we hurting? Ourselves. The people responsible for getting us these exclusive deals would have had a much harder time if they had to say, "Well... first you have to register, then you have to make xx amount of posts, and then you can see where we have our community...Now, about the value tourney you can offer us..... hello.... hellooooo....... Oh bugger":unsure Advertisiers want exposure. We want advertisers to give us (PL's poker players) their money. You don't see any billboards when you go pot-holing do you?

Re: PL members room Fair point valiant,one i hadn't considered.Good reasoned argument against.

What I do like is that you can promote PL to a wider audience and invite other players to 'try before they buy'. If we hide the value tournaments from people who browse PL, but the same people can come across the same tournaments in other places then who are we hurting? Ourselves. The people responsible for getting us these exclusive deals would have had a much harder time if they had to say, "Well... first you have to register, then you have to make xx amount of posts, and then you can see where we have our community...Now, about the value tourney you can offer us..... hello.... hellooooo....... Oh bugger":unsure Advertisiers want exposure. We want advertisers to give us (PL's poker players) their money. You don't see any billboards when you go pot-holing do you?

Re: PL members room I think both arguments have merit... However, not just anybody can enter the value added PL exlcusive tournaments as they are password protected. Who gets the passwords is decided by the moderators and some-one just joining is normally told to stick around and join the next one. The rest of the detailed information about specific tournaments as such is a regurgatation of what can be found on the net/sites/e-mails so as such is not private information. It is only so good because the moderators and those members who post the information care about the site and the community.... and it is this community that makes the forum so good. I think the system works great as it is... the openess of this forum and the information and opinions of the members that are posted is what attracted me to join this site. We have some great poker players in this forum who are willing to share their thoughts with us 'donks' and I don't think that would happen if we had a private area. I have visited other forums but believe that PL is one of the best (certainly the best I have seen) not just in content but for supporting, helping and encouraging people to do better... Keep it as it is... :ok

Re: PL members room it was just a thought. so your happy about people waiting for us to post things like royal vegas tonight that has no requirements then have to play hundreds of outer mongolian maniacs that might not know about it if it wasnt for one of us posting

I think both arguments have merit... However, not just anybody can enter the value added PL exlcusive tournaments as they are password protected. Who gets the passwords is decided by the moderators and some-one just joining is normally told to stick around and join the next one. The rest of the detailed information about specific tournaments as such is a regurgatation of what can be found on the net/sites/e-mails so as such is not private information. It is only so good because the moderators and those members who post the information care about the site and the community.... and it is this community that makes the forum so good. I think the system works great as it is... the openess of this forum and the information and opinions of the members that are posted is what attracted me to join this site. We have some great poker players in this forum who are willing to share their thoughts with us 'donks' and I don't think that would happen if we had a private area. I have visited other forums but believe that PL is one of the best (certainly the best I have seen) not just in content but for supporting, helping and encouraging people to do better... Keep it as it is... :ok
Sums up my thoughts too ;)

it was just a thought. so your happy about people waiting for us to post things like royal vegas tonight that has no requirements then have to play hundreds of outer mongolian maniacs that might not know about it if it wasnt for one of us posting
I think you're overestimating how many lurkers hang around to pinch our information. I'm sure there are some, but most of the "guests" are actually bots from search engines indexing our pages. I just had a look at the IP addresses of the "guests" reading pages in the poker forums, and 8 of the first 10 were "crawlers" from Yahoo.

it was just a thought. so your happy about people waiting for us to post things like royal vegas tonight that has no requirements then have to play hundreds of outer mongolian maniacs that might not know about it if it wasnt for one of us posting
No, I'm not. :ok But I think its a small price to pay for the benefits that doing things this way provides us.

Re: PL members room The concept i was on about was simple. We have the PL private games, the PL leagues and anything to do with PL in the open forum where both members and guests can view them, making us look attractive to newcomers and advertisers However....our members post up a lot of value tourneys, and these are also available to the guests as well, which once word gets out, the numbers often increase dramatically, why not have these posts in a members only part of the forum. If you want to share our value games, then contribute....not cliquey as they can join our leagues and see our promos but if they want the extra, they should have the decency to post once in a while.

Re: PL members room I really hear what you're saying Graeme, but I promise you, it will have a detrimental effect on the poker forum. This kind of idea has been tried over and over again on different sites and whilst they think it works, it actually doesn't and rips the soul out of the site eventually. Let me throw this into the pot for example, on the subject of contribution. Some people contribute in what they post on the forum, others contribute more in signing up through affiliate links that earns PL money. On that basis, why should we effectively ban a lurker that earns PL money through poker rake for example, just because he/she doesn't post on the forum?

Re: PL members room Just to give another example of lurkers turning into contributing members, a few have said they found us through the Champions League. (Thanks guys :$) In a closed forum, that thread with the table would have been in the private section, since it would have provided us with an advantage in seeing the points ahead of the site publishing it. I've lurked on another forum recently (just to view one thread, thanks morls ;)) and been really irritated by the fact there is advertising between every post on a thread. Made me think I'd never sign up there, til I read the bit at the bottom saying to avoid the ads you needed to sign up. But since I only noticed that bit about the 3rd time I'd been in to look, I wouldn't recommend it as a way forward. On another forum, I was only allowed to lurk for a certain amount of time before it wouldn't let me in any more unless I signed up. I didn't stick around. I can agree with the sentiment about not leaking details of value tournaments outside of our members, but can also see how making them public can benefit PL as a whole. (where's that fence :tongue2)

The easy solution is' date=' instead of people whinning who can see the public value tournaments just dont post them and let the people find there own value tournaments[/quote'] thats whats gonna start happening:sad i see quite a few players in games they never mentioned on here, yet are always playing in the PL ones:@

The easy solution is' date=' instead of people whinning who can see the public value tournaments just dont post them and let the people find there own value tournaments[/quote'] i think youll find i opened it for discussion and gave my opinion whether right or wrong no whining involved sorry you see that way

The easy solution is' date=' instead of people whinning who can see the public value tournaments just dont post them and let the people find there own value tournaments[/quote'] How is that a solution? How does it benefit PL? Come on guys, see the bigger picture here, I have to say there's a degree of selfishness here, which is disappointing.