Darts: BDO World Championships

Re: Darts: BDO World Championships

Webster v Jones Jones +2.5 sets 10 pts 8/11 Corals Webster is Ranked No1 in this event and is a very talented left hander who as we've seen at the IDL can score and finish high.As we know the No1 seed is always under a lot of pressure to win and that creates nerves. Ian Jones on the other hand is very capable darts player,as proved when he came through the Qualifiers to play here. Now the interesting bit is in the final Qualifying match he beat Robert Thornton 2-1,Thornton then went on to win the Winmau World Masters to gain his place in this tournament. On that form alone Jones is easily worth 1 set here because again he's nothing to lose and Webster has.
Nice start Sharpey :ok

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe the price on John Boy here :eek. 2pts ew J.Walton to win BDO Championships 33/1 Stan James John Boy Walton knows what it takes to land the big one having done exactly in 2001. He's coming into this event in decent form too, especially if the Winmau World Masters is anything to go by. In that event he hit a 9 dart finish on his way to a semi final defeat to Darryl Fitton. He lost that 6-5 but played cracking darts all weekend. He's got a tricky 1st round draw here in the winner of the Winmau, Robert Thornton but the fact the Scot had to win that just to get in here shows consistency isn't always his game. When he gets going John Boy is a prolific scorer but his doubles can let him down. He's shown this year though that he's still a class act at this level and at 33/1 he's well worth a poke.
2 for me on Saturday. 10pts J.Walton to beat R.Thornton 11/10 Blue Square John Walton is a solid enough player to merit support here. Robert Thornton won the Winmau World Masters in November but he had to win that just to qualify here. That in itself suggests he may not be the best in this company despite playing really well at Bridlington. John Boy didn't have a bad run in that event either. He made the semi finals there and hit a 9 dart finish along the way. Walton has been around for ages and knows how to come through the field here and at odds against I'll take the Yorkshireman to win what is the game of the round.
Well John Boy was a heap of crock but Thornton played well and could be worth following for the rest of the week based on the evidence of that and the Winmau.

Well John Boy was a heap of crock but Thornton played well and could be worth following for the rest of the week based on the evidence of that and the Winmau.
Yeah Thornton played very well and your right he might be worth following. Moody looks hammered.:beer Woody you might be going for a clean sweep here;)

Re: Darts: BDO World Championships Going to add another for tomorrow along with the overpriced veitch imo: Anderson 3-0 10/11 10 pts (sorry Sharpe1ne) Apart from veitch and maybe Phillips tomorrow I am not too sure about the good bets tomorrow but plumping for this one who is effectively as short as 4/7 for this scoreline. I just feel that Anderson is going to be a different Anderson this event to past ones. Sure he has a lot of pressure surrounding him this week knowing that this is such a good opportunity but I think he can cope and there will be pressure on his young opponent too. I confess I know little about him so perhaps this bet is dangerous but whilst in theory he is a young and fearless, he will surely be nervous on a stage he has never been on before and the Anderson of this year should be able to take major advantage of that. I have little doubts he will win and 3-0 is a real possibility for me. It would help if Anderson can win the darts and throw first in sets 1 and 3. If the Dutchman wins the bull it can make the 3-0 task a bit harder.

Re: Darts: BDO World Championships I'm jumping to a second round clash already whilst the odds are this stupid. Fitton v Robson Fitton to win 10 pts 1.5(1/2) Betfair. Fitton cruised through the first round, with only a minor blip against Richardson, and averaged 31.62 per dart (94.86 3 dart av) and didn't seem to have his usual trouble on the doubles. It looks like Fitton this year feels a lot more confident on his doubles and with his highscoring then he will be putting in a big performance. He should have won the Master's this year but after a monumental Semi he only had about half an hour before he had to get back on stage to play the final and in the end he seemed to wilt. Robson on the other hand had an indifferent match against Tony David,he ran away with it in the first 2 sets with some great finishing,but that could be put down to not having been put under any pressure at all by David. Though when David did start to play Robson stuttered badly and even basic errors crept into his game. Av 26.81 per dart(80.43 3 dart av) Robson is a rythmn(sp?) player and when it goes right he can match the best of throwers but when it goes wrong,like it often does,then he can play like a pub player.He beats himself up and when he said his dart was going into the board sideways,that going to be playing on his mind now for this match. Fittons high scoring should carry him through and now were onto the best of 7 sets then he will get more chances to batter Robsons' confidence.

Moody 6/4 10 pts I do not know much about Moody but what I do know is that he came through the toughness of qualification and also that his superleage average is a respectable 87 and Shepherd's average in the Kent leagues was less than that and we all know what he did last week. This bet though is more based on de Ruiter. Apparently he has been suffering from vertigo and that must casuse real problems for a dart player. Certainly in the GSOD it caused him lots of problem, he was awful and lost every match and did well to win the legs he did palying like that. I will take a chance on Moody. .
. 10pts G.Moody to beat N.de Ruiter 5/4 VC Niels de Ruiter has had a bit of a shocking time of it recently, none more so than at the Grand Slam where to be kind he was crap. de Ruiter has been suffering from vertigo apparently and that won't help his cause although I've only heard Steve Beaton mention that at the Grand Slam, I've not heard about it anywhere else. Glenn Moody is pretty unknown to our screens but has been playing some good darts locally in Superleagues and Moody should have the weapons to beat the Dutch kid here.
Nice call chaps:ok

Anderson v Roosenbrand Roosenbrand +2.5 sets 10 pts Evens Corals Anderson as we know is bang on favourite to win this event,but in recent years he's struggled on this Lakeside stage,but with his recent wins in the IDL and WDT his TV form is almost guaranteed. On the other hand we have Roosenbrand who is an up and coming young Dutchman,left handed with solid scoring.He came through the qualifiers to play in this tournament and beat Robert Wagner to gain his place 2-0. He's gone deep into tournaments in Holland and in the recent Holland Open Championship he was beaten 3-2(sets) by Dave Askew(PDC). This show's he can play at a high standard and with Anderson under pressure to perform from the off then Roosenbrand is under no pressure at all, which should mean he can just get up there and concentrate on throwing his darts.All he needs to do is grab 1 set and with his talent and a few nerves from Anderson then this is achievable.
Well done :clap Anderson has not turned up yet.

Re: Darts: BDO World Championships Anderson out 3-2. He scored well during the whole match (108+ first nine dart average) but his doubles were shocking (40 odd attempts for 9 hits or something.) Fair play to the young Dutchman who took his chances well even in that last leg scored solidly took out 100 while Anderson scored nothing for his first few throws before he woke up hit 180 and then 174 but it was too late.

Re: Darts: BDO World Championships Cheers Woody.:ok I'll take 2 from 2 again. +17.27 for the tourny so far. Roosenbrand played very well and Anderson had way to much pressure.Monsterous scoring but then seemed to switch off.The bookies are laughing their arses off again. The bookies have now chopped the odds on everyone now and Webster is now 3/1 Fav.There's now massive pressure on the bottom half of the draw seeing as Andersons' gone and there should be some even tighter matches now.

Surely all anderson needs to do is turn up and hes won this tourny! In my opinion he is by far the better player than anybody else in the bdo and its only a matter of time before the pdc sign him up-but i also like the looks of atkins and an e/w bet on him is my tip of the week!
OH MY GAWD,didnt see that one coming today,what the fcuk was anderson playing at today? Absolutely useless.I take back everything ive said about him being in the PDC,he doesnt even deserve to be in the BDO on that performance! I put BIG money on both him and atkins and look what happens,they both go out one after the other-it made me wanna :pukeNot sure who i want to win now but webster looks good,im just slightly:$ by the comment i made above.

OH MY GAWD' date='didnt see that one coming today,what the fcuk was anderson playing at today? Absolutely useless.I take back everything ive said about him being in the PDC,he doesnt even deserve to be in the BDO on that performance! I put BIG money on both him and atkins and look what happens,they both go out one after the other-it made me wanna :pukeNot sure who i want to win now but webster looks good,im just slightly:$ by the comment i made above.[/quote'] We all make em mate don't worry. You had your reasons but the players didn't back you up. It happens :ok.

Re: Darts: BDO World Championships Not a good day. None of my outrights got past round 1. Two match bets for me tomorrow but going to add one more outright. Probably not the brightest thing to do especially on the charcter I am doing it on but taking a small chance with 2 pts e.w Hankey @ 20/1 still 1/2 odds two places. Now Ted Hankey on his day is a world beater. No doubt about it and he has shown that with a World crown, finals and a lot of other success/good runs. However the problem is it is on his day which too often he is not on. He can be barking mad at times and just completely go to pieces and too often of late that it was has happened. However with the bottom half opening up a real chance appears. West (not the World Masters former winner) today is a game an on form Hankey should win, Boulton similar, Whitlock could be in the q/f but he despite being a very good dart player is developing a history of blowing Lakeside's when the draw has opened up for him (last two years) and Hankey on form can beat him. The key is if he is in form and these comments on the excellent Superstars of Darts website suggest he feels good at least: 'What a lot of people dont know is that the man who took me to two embassy finals is with me again he is the man who can get into my head and make me work my confidence is at max and if i take my practice game up there then its happy days again and with steveo there as well doin what he dose to motivate me i am really lokking forward to it no longer am i just making up the numbers i am a dart player again' I am taking a chance with him becuase he can self destruct in seconds but at 20/1 and with the draw opened up for him, I will take it :hope

Re: Darts: BDO World Championships Well Adams batters Nixon 3-0 and takes 2pts of my profit,bloody sentimental bets:lol. +15.27 now. I'm adding to my Fitton bet in post 36,now that they've got some prices up. Fitton to win 4-1 5pts 9/2 Bet365 Fitton -1.5 sets 10pts 10/11 StanJames Write up in post 36,but just to clarify I think Fitton's bang in form.

Re: Darts: BDO World Championships 2nd round again. Moody v Webster Webster -2.5 sets 4/7 10 pts BoyleSports Webster was a bit shaky in his first round match against Qualifier Ian Jones.High scoring but struggled a bit on the doubles,but i'm putting that down to first round nerves.Now Webster should start hitting his stride and if he'd got those doubles his average would have been over 100.He ended with 94.47. He'll always score highly and with an extra 2 sets to play with he should be under no pressure at all,just getting through the 1st round is always a tricky one. Moody didn't really set the world alight when he played De-Ruiter and i'm sure he was quite drunk.He didn't score well and even though De-Ruiter played badly Moody did keep giving him chances.His doubles were not great either.He wasn't under pressure in the 1st round but now he's realised he's in the second round then i think reality will hit him and he'll be left standing with Webster's consistent high scoring.

Re: Darts: BDO World Championships as i am entering the arena tomorrow night i needed to get the stats together to see where i can nick some value. These are the results from 2006, 2007 & 2008 from R1. 2006 16 matches 3-0 = 7 times (43.75%) 3-1 = 6 times (37.5%) 3-2 = 3 times (18.75%) 2007 15 matches (1 bye) 3-0 = 8 times (53.33%) 3-1 = 4 times (26.66%) 3-2 = 3 times (20%) 2008 12 matches so far (4 to play) 3-0 = 3 times (25%) 3-1 = 6 times (50%) 3-2 = 3 times (25%) Looking at the trends of these results, it would be fair to say that the 3-0 scoreline is the one to go for as both the other scores have already reached or exceeded what they hit for last 2 years. There are 4 games left tonight therefore if we looked at laying the other 2 scores we would have (laibility shown in brackets to 1pt): Hankey v West lay 3-1 @ 5.0 (liability 1pts) lay 3-2 @ 6.8 (2.8pts) lay 1-3 @ 11.0 (7pts) lay 2-3 @ 7.6 (3.6pts) Robbe v Van Eijden lay 3-1 @ 6.2 (liability 3.2pts) lay 3-2 @ 7.2 (3.2pts) lay 1-3 @ 5.8 (1.8pts) lay 2-3 @ 6.6 (2.6pts) Stompe v Mercer lay 3-1 @ 3.6 (liability +0.4pts) lay 3-2 @ 6.8 (2.8pts) lay 1-3 @ 15.0 (11pts) lay 2-3 @ 8.4 (4.4pts) Woods v Hanvidge lay 3-1 @ 6.6 (Liability 2.6pts) lay 3-2 @ 6.8 (liability 2.8pts) lay 1-3 @ 6.8 (liability 2.8pts) lay 2-3 @ 5.9 (liability 1.9pts) any thoughts on this strategy?

Re: Darts: BDO World Championships i dont know too much about all the form but i managed to select Klassen a few years back so will go with Mario Robbe at 100/1 Bet365 EW. He has Scott Waites to face if he wins tonight which will be the big test as Scott is only 8/1 for the tournament. The dutch have to be respected & its a fun bet at those odds if he manages to get through.

Re: Darts: BDO World Championships With the bottom half of the draw opening up then I can see some very tight matches Bowles.Underdog players will be almost carefree in their throwing and the players who should be going through will have pressure on them thinking they're in with a chance. The only one I would feel confident about the 3-0 is Stompe v Mercer.Stompe's in great form and should easly outplay Mercer. Hanvidge v Woods,they're both equally matched players and could easily be a 3-2. Hankey v West, again i can see this as a tough match,West has had some good results this season and so has Hankey.One thing that worries me with Hankey is all the talk of a return to his "mind guru".To me if your talking about him then his mind might not be on the game totally. I actually fancy West to shade this one 3-2. Robbe v Eijden again both equally matched players and neither will have much pressure on them. Eijden's recent form at the Zuideren Masters to me gives him the edge 3-2 Mind you Bowles when you are there tomorrow night it's the best of 7 sets so even more results to lay.

Mind you Bowles when you are there tomorrow night it's the best of 7 sets so even more results to lay.
Cheers Sharpe1ne, yep not even looked tomorrow yet. Here's another funny one, they were supposed to start at 6pm tomorrow night, & have now changed the times ( 5pm) to accommodate TV coverage!! You may have thought they could have sorted that last week before it started!!!

Cheers Sharpe1ne, yep not even looked tomorrow yet. Here's another funny one, they were supposed to start at 6pm tomorrow night, & have now changed the times ( 5pm) to accommodate TV coverage!! You may have thought they could have sorted that last week before it started!!!
Thats truly a wierd thing 5pm start. Seeing as they're only going live from 7pm on Tuesday and if Fitton trounces Robson(5pm game),then the Phillips Adams match is supposed to start at 6.30.So how they're accomodating TV coverage then i ain't got a clue? Though cheers BBC for yesterday after watching the Adams Nixon match on BBC2 I was waiting for the Waites/Veitch match to come on.Instead they showed highlights of the Anderson Roosenbrand match but never told us to switch to digital for the other game.Bunch of Cnuts:ok

Woods v Hanvidge lay 3-1 @ 6.6 (Liability 2.6pts) lay 3-2 @ 6.8 (liability 2.8pts) lay 1-3 @ 6.8 (liability 2.8pts) lay 2-3 @ 5.9 (liability 1.9pts)
Nice going again.Woods destroyed him:ok
Woods Evens 10 pts Both Woods and Hanvidge have appeared in the recent Lakeside's and although Hanvidge has the better record with q/f in the last two years, personally I have been more impressed with Woods even though he has yet to take a set. That seems strange but Woods put up decent performances on both ocassions and was around the 90 average and possibly was a bit unlucky. He also played well when he reached two World Masters q/f back to back in 2005 and 2006. Hanvidge is a steady player but rarely goes above that imo. He often averages around the 85 mark and yet he has reached two q/f back to back and possibly could have reached the semi. The other thing that costs him imo is his sometimes unusual choice of finishes. I remember the q/f in 2006 when all he wanted to do was leave D14 all the time even though it was costing him sometimes another dart at the double. He needs more logical shots against Woods and even so I fancy Woods. .
Nice one fella:ok

Re: Darts: BDO World Championships Good luck with those 2 Sharpey. I was going to join you on the Dazzler but Robson's cost me so much dosh in this in the past he ain't costing me no more :lol. I think Phillips can stay close to Martin Adams but I'd have preferred a 2.5 handicap there so just one for me tomorrow. 10pts R.Thornton -1.5 sets to beat T.O'Shea 10/11 Stan James Robert Thornton was very impressive on Saturday night when he sent John Boy home. He looked like he's brought the confidence from winning the Winmau with him here. Tony O'Shea was little better than crap in defying a fightback to edge out Steve Farmer in the 1st round but his average of 78.72 isn't going to win a best of 7 against anyone. On his day O'Shea can beat anyone as he showed in the Dutch TV events in 2007 but he looked like a guy struggling with his game on Saturday and I think the Scot will take this one no worse than 4-2.

Re: Darts: BDO World Championships Not the best first round for me and I am on -25 on match bets so far. Second round bets tomorrow: Fitton 4/7 and Thornton 8/15 in 10 pt double. A double appeals more than singles as need both to win for profit so might as well go for the double. Simply I think both look in good form and on such form I believe will be too good for their opponents. Fitton played well in his first game and he has played good darts all year really (World Masters runner up even if he was a 'lucky' seed unlike Thornton.) I was at the Lane when it was on but watching it back he looked a deserved winner against Richardson even though Richardson went out with another near 90 average at Lakeside. For once he was not missing lots of doubles. Robson can play good darts at times but is very hit and miss and Fitton's first round average compares favourably to Robson, nearly 15 points better, on form he should win. Thornton too on form should win imo. He has played well at Lakeside before (q/f), has reached later stages in the odd PDC floor event or at least one and was superb at the World Masters, knowing he had to win it to qualify after losing in the qualifiers late on despite winning all his early games 2-0 in sets. I felt Walton could do him in round one but Thornton was the better player and a deserved winner. O'Shea struggled against Farmer, he averaged 'only' 81 and will need to up that against Thornton. He can play much better and probably will but the form Thornton is in it is difficult to see him being beaten. Fitton v Robson Over 7.5 180s 16/19 10 pts It has been tricky to bet overs on the 180s in this event. Quite simply there have been few. However Fitton is one of the more prolific 180 hitters in the game and Robson is such a momentum player that he can score 45, 41 and then 180, 180. He will be hit and miss but when he hits he hits if you understand that. Robson certainly hit his 180s last year when he hit 20 and in the IDL when he hit 27. Fitton also has recorded 20+ 180s in events like the IDL and generally is regarded as a big 180 hitter so I think that 8 is possible here. The danger is if Fitton runs away with it which makes the task harder and even though I think he will win I think Robson can get at least 1 set which makes the task easier. Webster -2.5 sets 4/7 10 pts I backed Moody against De Ruiter and even though he won he was awful. Mid 70s average, he looked drunk, showed bizarre celebrations and was fortunate he was playing such a poor opponent. Webster meanwhile averaged nearly 20 pts more that Moody and that was despite lots of missed doubles at times. Moody surely is better than his first round game but even so Webster not only should win but do so comfortably. A slight worry is if Moody's strange play affects Webster but I believe the Webster is good enough that he wont let it get to him. If he gets the throw he only needs the 1 break and to hold his throw but even if he does not, on first round evidence he should have no problem breaking Moody. Phillips 5/2 5 pts Just a small one. Would have prefered a handicap but as Kev says, no + 2.5 sets handicap only + 1.5 sets which makes it less worthwhile imo so might as well risk the win smaller stakes. Phillips has been around a while and being the Welsh captain would have met Adams often and he can play. He has shown that in past Lakesides even as far back as the early 90s. I thought he played well against Greatbatch. Unlike Adams' first game, he was under some pressure yet overcame it for a 3-1 win and 91 average. Adams had an easy stroll so it is harder to judge what form he is in, he averaged similarly to Phillips but as I say it was a completely different game and therefore his form is a bit more of an unknown. On paper Adams is the most likely winner but Phillips showed enough to suggest he can make it tight and when it gets tight, Wolfie is not always one to depend on and the extra pressure of being defending champ might not help Wolfie.

as i am entering the arena tomorrow night i needed to get the stats together to see where i can nick some value. These are the results from 2006, 2007 & 2008 from R1. 2006 16 matches 3-0 = 7 times (43.75%) 3-1 = 6 times (37.5%) 3-2 = 3 times (18.75%) 2007 15 matches (1 bye) 3-0 = 8 times (53.33%) 3-1 = 4 times (26.66%) 3-2 = 3 times (20%) 2008 12 matches so far (4 to play) 3-0 = 3 times (25%) 3-1 = 6 times (50%) 3-2 = 3 times (25%) Looking at the trends of these results, it would be fair to say that the 3-0 scoreline is the one to go for as both the other scores have already reached or exceeded what they hit for last 2 years. There are 4 games left tonight therefore if we looked at laying the other 2 scores we would have (laibility shown in brackets to 1pt): Hankey v West lay 3-1 @ 5.0 (liability 1pts) :ok lay 3-2 @ 6.8 (2.8pts) :$ lay 1-3 @ 11.0 (7pts) :ok lay 2-3 @ 7.6 (3.6pts) :ok Robbe v Van Eijden lay 3-1 @ 6.2 (liability 3.2pts) :ok lay 3-2 @ 7.2 (3.2pts) :ok lay 1-3 @ 5.8 (1.8pts) :$ lay 2-3 @ 6.6 (2.6pts) :ok Stompe v Mercer lay 3-1 @ 3.6 (liability +0.4pts) :ok lay 3-2 @ 6.8 (2.8pts) :ok lay 1-3 @ 15.0 (11pts) :ok lay 2-3 @ 8.4 (4.4pts) :ok Woods v Hanvidge lay 3-1 @ 6.6 (Liability 2.6pts) :ok lay 3-2 @ 6.8 (liability 2.8pts) :ok lay 1-3 @ 6.8 (liability 2.8pts) :ok lay 2-3 @ 5.9 (liability 1.9pts) :ok any thoughts on this strategy?
not a bad effort, to 12 x 1pt lays would have got 10 out of 12 correct & only 4.6pts lost in the 2 i didnt get making a profit of 5.4pts on the night to a 12pt outlay.

Re: Darts: BDO World Championships last 2 years in the Quarters there has been 1 whitewash each year so thats hard to predict in 8 ties. 2007 4-0 =1 4-1 =2 4-2 =2 4-3 =3 2006 4-0 =1 4-1 =1 4-2 =5 4-3 =1 The majority vote goes to the the 4-2 & 4-3 scores with 5/8 last year & 6/8 the year before. I can see the 1st 3 games going the distance with a 6 set or 7 set game. The last one could be the whitewash if Webster is on his true game.

Re: Darts: BDO World Championships Nice going Bowles:okbut don't forget to take off your Mario Robbe bet.:lol I think there's only Gaz who's got outright's from the first round still going. Bar the Hankey bet of Woody's after the first round,ooooo he nearly chucked it away as well;) Gonna be fun to watch the Moody/Webster match as it's last on,at the earliest 9.30pm.If he was leathered he would have been told off by the officials and also not to do it again:spank.Though i can't see him pass up the bar.;) Thornton v O'Shea Thornton 4-0 2pts 6/1 BlueSquare Thornton 4-1 2pts 9/2 BlueSquare. Thornton's been in scintilating form in the past couple of month's.Before winning the World Master's he was also a semi-finalist at the Swedish Open so he's hit form right on cue.A Masters tournament average of 96 and a 1st round average here 89 puts him comfortably infront of O'Shea. O'Shea on the other hand is quite baffling.Early season he was in form but he's struggled to hit the scores of late.In the IDL he matched Barney throw for throw and ended his game with a 96 average,though against Farmer he only averaged 78, same at the World Masters he barely averaged above 80.Looked uncomfortable with his throw and was not finishing well at all. Thornton should be feeling great and with the Master title under his belt I wouldn't think there's too much pressure on him and if his eyes on the ball straight off, then O'Shea could be left for dead. Enjoy yourself tonight Bowles:ok and do these things. A. Get in front of a camera with a witty 180's card :welcome B. Get enough beer in, to last out each game:beer C. Ask Tony Gubba to do a rendition of the Peter Ndlove song from Fantasy Football:lol