African Nations Cup 2008

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: African Cup of Nations 20 - 23 January 2008

what's can you say me about Namibia? Marocco could win easily?
Seems but you should take into consideration the fact that the death of Ben Bamfuchile two weeks ago might give an extra motivation to Namibian players tough they have no any familiar names in the squad....Odds are not tasty.... Agree about Mali pick.. seems reasonable at 1.70s...I might put some or use it in a double not sure yet ;)

Re: African Cup of Nations 20 - 23 January 2008 I'm on overs for this tournement, hopefully it will be as profitable as the Copa America..three games tomorrow. Nigeria Ivory Coast - Yakubu v Drogba overs here at 2.3 and I'll also take Kanoutes Mali at 2.25.2 singles and a double. I'll keep my powder dry for tomorrows first game Morocco Namibia

Re: African Cup of Nations 20 - 23 January 2008 Welcome to PL, bohemian;) You might want to consult the past result as the tourney is a notoriously under event - even the first match was rather an under affair, despite being a one-way traffic - well, the first goal was a gifted penalty, the second was a nice goal, and the third came from blue sky - a well hit ball. OK, there was the woodwork hit twice in the first half, but the match was not a particularly goals-galore looking affair. I might think of backing the overs in the Mali match, but that's it.

Re: African Cup of Nations 20 - 23 January 2008 4pts Ivory Coast 0AH vs Nigeria 1.78 Ladbrokes Ivory Coast look the strongest side in the competition on paper and although they didn't make it past the 1st group at the world cup, they did show their class and quality which they possess. In Didier Drogba they have probably the best striker in the tournament. Salomon Kalou and the Kone's are good backup's. In midfield, Yaya Toure and Didier Zokora are all household names as are the Arsenal duo of Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Eboue at the back. Nigeria have a strong squad especially in their forward line with Yakubu, Martins, Kanu and Utaka in their squad here. John Obi Mikel is the star man in the midfield and dynamic left back Taye Taiwo will be a danger from freekicks. This promises to be the best game of the whole 1st stage but Ivory Coast look really strong on paper and if anyone edges this I think it will be them.

Re: African Cup of Nations 20 - 23 January 2008 And one for the later match. 5pts Mali -0.5AH vs Benin 1.72 Ladbrokes As I've said earlier in the Mali outright writeup, they have a very good record in the ANC and they have the ideal chance to get their campaign underway with a win here. Freddy Kanoute has been in good form for Sevilla and he should have too much for the Benin defence. Diarra and Sissoko should shield the Mali defence well and with Benin not being used to the big stage I think Mali will win this one. Very few of these Benin players play in the top leagues in Europe and the fact they have an Accrington Stanley player in their squad shows the level they have and despite being held to two draws in qualifying by Benin, I'm confident Mali will win this one.

Re: African Cup of Nations 20 - 23 January 2008 Morocco -1.25 AH @ 1.92 Pinnacle 3/10 Morocco cant afford to slip up in this game if they are to realistically consider qualifying for the Quarter finals. Personally I know little about Namibia but nobody is suggesting that they could be a surprise force in this tournament. On paper Morocco look to have a decent enough squad, one which I believe could come unstuck against Guinea and Ghana, but should be good enough today. Like I said, they just cant afford not to win, and ideally they need to win by a big margin, goal difference could prove to be vital. I’d imagine Namibia will line up with a really defensive formation making themselves hard to break down, but surely Morocco will eventually crack them. I nearly bet the -1 AH but id rather stake less and go for the -1.25 option. Morocco should really have a fairly easy ride, something like 2-0 or 3-0 Ivory Coast (0) AH @ 1.78 Ladbrokes 4/10 This is the big match of the day and between the best two teams in the groups. But I feel the Ivories are the better side and should probably be able to outscore their opponents. When you look at the quality that they have in attack its difficult to see them struggling to score goals. Nigeria should also be a threat upfront, but overall I’d say they are 2nd best here. A draw probably wouldn’t be a bad result for either side which is why the best bet is perhaps on the 0AH. Ladbrokes offer 1.78 on the Ivories which is just a bit too high IMO. This is a really key game for myself personally because if the Ivory Coast can win it, then my outright bet for them to win the group will look really good, pretty much complete as long as they do a job on Mali. Nigeria cant be underestimated but I feel they will end up losing here. Mali -0.75 AH @ 2.01 Pinnacle 5/10 This is an absolute must win for Mali if they are to have any realistic chance of qualifying for the quarter finals. I’d imagine the Ivory Coast and Nigeria will make light work of these minnows so Mali as well simply must do the same. They must also consider trying to win by a decent margin because goal difference could prove to be pivotal in this group. Benin actually held Mali to a couple of draws in the qualifying for this competition, but it’d be a shock if they could do it again. Mali might not have the class of Nigeria or the Ivories, but they still have a lot of decent players. Someone like Freddy Kanoute should be good enough to unlock this defence, presumably Benin will just line up with a rigid tight formation and it’ll be up to Mali to break them down. I have no worries taking the favourites on the -0.75 AH @ 2.01. It actually looks like a terrific value bet to me.

Re: African Cup of Nations 20 - 23 January 2008 Hello Everyone Today i am thinking of a treble Morocco Mali Ivory Coast Pays 5/1 Firstly Morocco is a risk i agree they should have enough to beat Namibia but in saying that i have never seen Namibia play so maybe i am betting on the history of morocco over Namibia which may prove costly but i will stick with history for know. Ivory coast vs nigeria tough game to call as Nigeria's manager said this is the best prep they have had for the tournament. both teams will not want to lose so a draw is possible but i just think....ivory coast will have the edge and drogba to prove the difference. Mali have a good enough side to maybe make the quater finals with kanoute looking a real player these days they should have enough to win this game. Any thoughts please?

Re: African Cup of Nations 20 - 23 January 2008 I've read a lot about how Mali are a good e/w punt for this tournament at a good price, but today they face what is on paper the weakest team in the group. Logically one would conclude that they will desperately want to win his one to set them up for the games against Nigeria and Ivory Coast. You can get around 1.7 - is this value? They are 47 places above them in World Rankings (47 to 94), which suggests that they should be comfortable victors.

I've read a lot about how Mali are a good e/w punt for this tournament at a good price, but today they face what is on paper the weakest team in the group. Logically one would conclude that they will desperately want to win his one to set them up for the games against Nigeria and Ivory Coast. You can get around 1.7 - is this value? They are 47 places above them in World Rankings (47 to 94), which suggests that they should be comfortable victors.
If Mali perform my friend as they can then they will have no problems beating Benin the key word here though is IF. I think Mali will win

If Mali perform my friend as they can then they will have no problems beating Benin the key word here though is IF. I think Mali will win
The only thing putting me off is that these teams drew twice with each other in qualifying. Mali should have too much for their opponents here though if they perform

Re: African Cup of Nations 20 - 23 January 2008 Is the African Nations played live on any tv channels?? Anyway im thinking off a double, each way goalscorers.. Didier Drogba 9/2 and Frederic Kanoute 7/2 both with Ladbrokes which will get you 24.75 for the double. Two proven goalscorers who are in a league of there own in terms of quality and with plenty off experience in larger matches.

Re: African Cup of Nations 20 - 23 January 2008 Going for a Morocco/Mali double on day two of the tournament. Mali have twice drawn with Benin in qualifying but are many people's dark horses for this tournament and if they are to have any chance of splitting the Ivory Coast and Nigeria they will need to hit the ground running here against a Benin side who do not possess the same quality as Mali with household names such as Freddie Kanoute and Mahamadou Diarra. Don't know much about Namibia but again there looks a gulf in class here. Morocco are coached by the experienced Henri Michel who took them to the 1998 World Cup and they should be comfortable enough here.

Is the African Nations played live on any tv channels?? Anyway im thinking off a double, each way goalscorers.. Didier Drogba 9/2 and Frederic Kanoute 7/2 both with Ladbrokes which will get you 24.75 for the double. Two proven goalscorers who are in a league of there own in terms of quality and with plenty off experience in larger matches.
Eurosport covers all matches live:ok

Re: African Cup of Nations 20 - 23 January 2008 Mali v Benin Ah, I do sometimes love these fixtures. Benin, A tiny country that nobody has ever heard of, In most people's eyes, it's a place where men tend to goats and kick about a pig skin. Im afraid not!!! Benin are well capable of beating Mail who rely so much on Kanoute and Keita. If the Seville pairing dont perform then Mali dont perform. Benin boast some decent talent too but most wont have heard of them. Mark my words, Benin will play a serious role in who qualifys from this group. Upfront, they have Helsingborg striker Omotoyossi who was top scorer in the Swedish League last year. That alone is not a bad stat. Then there is Muri Ogunbiyi who is their "Beckham" and playmaker supreme. Abou Maiga is another who could do well here. He is based in France as many of the team are. Elsewhere in the squad, Sessegnon is at Le Mans, and there is even an Accrington Stanley player in the form of Romould Bocu :lol They finished just one point behind Mali and Beat Togo 4-1 in qualifying. They have nothing to lose. Benin @ 7.0 Betfair (£256 available)

Re: African Cup of Nations 20 - 23 January 2008 Got my money on Morocco. For the rest, Mali -0.75 - Simple, experience over inexperience. And as higlighted, Mali are relatively more complete than Benin Ivory Coast v Nigeria is a tough match to call. Mind says Ivory Coast, heart says Nigeria. Considering, IC will be manager-less in the match, if Nigeria scores first, they might be in trouble. I'm going for Nigeria, TG over tonite.