** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Darts: Grand Slam of Darts

The inaugural Grand Slam of Darts begins on Saturday afternoon and it's all live on ITV. The tournament sees all the major winners from both the PDC and the BDO over the last 2 years come together. Normally I wouldn't start this thread up so early but I want to get on a price before Skybet realise.

Best odds/All oddsv6004.gifv6143.gifv1.gifv6169.gifv6006.gifv6141.gifv3.gifv6002.gifv10.gifv401.gif
Taylor, P3.53.5443.75443.53.754
Barneveld, R--4.33-44444.54.2
Wade, J4.54.54.336655655.7
Anderson, G88898-7789
Jenkins, T17171715171717171117.5
Lewis, A17171717191717171718
King, M34342926263434293430
Van Gerwen, M21213426263441263429
Webster, M2626343434-23414129
Part, J29293426264134294134
Hamilton, A34343441414141344136
Lloyd, C34344141344141344144
Mardle, W51514151676767413444
Manley, P41415151675167514155
Scholten, R81816767678181676775
Mason, C67675167678167516780
Klaasen, J676767674167511013450
Van der Voort, V1011015181511015110110165
Waites, S51514181671015110110170
McDine, K1011016710181101101816785
Jones, W101101101678110110110167100
Priestley, D8181101811011011261018180
Jenkins, A10110110110181101126101101100
Bates, B8181101101101101101126101130
Greatbatch, S8181151126101151126126151150
De Ruiter, N101101151126101-126126201200
Nixon, Phill15115120115115120120115125170
Mawson, G201201251251201251251101251250
Orreal, P201201501201201-251---
Losper, C2512515015012511001501100150160
Each-way terms: 2 at 1/22 at 1/22 at 1/22 at 1/22 at 1/2 2 at 1/22 at 1/22 at 1/2
1pt ew J.Klaasen to win Grand Slam of Darts 100/1 Skybet Jelle Klaasen for the 1st time on the PDC circuit has suddenly hit form and he's playing like he did when he won the World championships again. Last week in Ireland, he won his 1st PDC tournament when he won the John McAvoy Gold Dart Classic, beating the likes of Painter, Manley, Baxter and Lloyd on his way to the final which he came from 2 sets to nil down against Vincent van der Voort to win 3-2. He then backed that up by beating Barney in Holland on Saturday and King on Sunday on his way to the last 16 of both Players Championship events out there. He looks to have a very comfortable group to begin his campaign with having been drawn against Peter Manley, Shaun Greatbatch and the rapidly improving but as yet relatively unheard of Kevin McDine. If he tops that group, and he should do really, then he'll play the runner up in James Wade's group which assuming Wade wins the group, will be one of Phil Nixon, Niels de Ruiter or the Aussie Pat Orreal. I'd fancy Klaasen there too. It would get tricky from the Quarter Finals onwards but Klaasen turns up in Wolverhampton in decent form and should be there or thereabouts if his form continues. I'll add more as the week goes on.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts

1pt ew J.Klaasen to win Grand Slam of Darts 100/1 Skybet Jelle Klaasen for the 1st time on the PDC circuit has suddenly hit form and he's playing like he did when he won the World championships again. Last week in Ireland, he won his 1st PDC tournament when he won the John McAvoy Gold Dart Classic, beating the likes of Painter, Manley, Baxter and Lloyd on his way to the final which he came from 2 sets to nil down against Vincent van der Voort to win 3-2. He then backed that up by beating Barney in Holland on Saturday and King on Sunday on his way to the last 16 of both Players Championship events out there. He looks to have a very comfortable group to begin his campaign with having been drawn against Peter Manley, Shaun Greatbatch and the rapidly improving but as yet relatively unheard of Kevin McDine. If he tops that group, and he should do really, then he'll play the runner up in James Wade's group which assuming Wade wins the group, will be one of Phil Nixon, Niels de Ruiter or the Aussie Pat Orreal. I'd fancy Klaasen there too. It would get tricky from the Quarter Finals onwards but Klaasen turns up in Wolverhampton in decent form and should be there or thereabouts if his form continues. I'll add more as the week goes on.
I agree a Cracking price which will lower alot by the start of the tournament no doubt. I was liking Wade considering his recent performance in the live tournaments (can't speak for is un-televised recent performances), but at best priced 5/1, I don't see value e/w or outright considering Barneveld and Taylor are competing. Most value is probably with Klaasen or with an each way on the consistent performers like Manley (80/1) or Part (40/1), they are both there or there abouts when it comes to the crunch and an E/W on either looks enticing as they have a good shot of getting to the final.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts have to say that there could be real value in backing Mervyn King,@33-1 is a real good option, has proved that he has what it takes to get to the upper reaches of the PDC, is currently just outside the top 32, in the rankings, which conidering he didn't switch codes until Feb, thus missing some ranking events is an excellent achievement. John Part, whenever the Canadian plays in a major tournament you have expect him to deliver, hitting form and has the ability to beat anyone on the circuit this evnt is just the kind of tournament i would expect to see an in form dangerous Part.

have to say that there could be real value in backing Mervyn King' date='@33-1 is a real good option, has proved that he has what it takes to get to the upper reaches of the PDC, is currently just outside the top 32, in the rankings, which conidering he didn't switch codes until Feb, thus missing some ranking events is an excellent achievement.[/quote'] I don't think there's any value at all in King. He hasn't shown anything yet which would suggest he's capable of going all the way in this company. A few quarter finals and the odd semi on the floor and the Matchplay run but apart from that little else. I'd make him odds against to come out of his group tbh :unsure.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts Here is the tournament format (Taken from www.wikipedia.org):

• 1pm 8 x 1st phase of Group matches (best of nine legs)
    7pm 8 x 1st phase of Group matches (best of nine legs)

1pm 8 x 2nd phase of Group matches (best of nine legs, losers first phase matches)
    7pm 8 x 2nd phase of Group matches (best of nine legs, winners first phase matches)

6pm 8 x 3rd phase of Group matches (best of nine legs)

6pm Last 16 matches (best of 19 legs)

6pm Quarter finals (best of 19 legs)

2pm Semi Finals (best of 25 legs)

3.30pm Final (best of 35 legs)
    1st phase of Group matches (best of nine legs) :unsure, I looks like it is going to be hard to choosing multiple winners in the earlier rounds seeing as it is 1st to 5.

Saturday 17 November 2007
Player 1Player 2bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged." align="middle">sp.gifBPP
Anderson v Painter (12:00 GMT)1.393.50101%
Baxter v Lloyd (12:00 GMT)2.621.57102%
Mason v Van Barneveld (12:00 GMT)3.251.33106%
Greatbatch v Klaasen (12:05 GMT)2.381.66103%
Hamilton v Van der Voort (12:30 GMT)1.922.10100%
Nixon v Wade (13:00 GMT)5.001.25100%
Jenkins v Webster (13:30 GMT)2.641.57102%
Van Gerwen v Waites (14:00 GMT)1.732.37100%
Barneveld v Mason (14:30 GMT)1.363.75101%
Mardle v Taylor (15:00 GMT)4.001.33100%
Orreal v Ruiter (19:00 GMT)2.521.65101%
Jenkins v Losper (19:05 GMT)1.206.4099%
Lewis v Priestley (20:00 GMT)1.503.00100%
Manley v McDine (20:30 GMT)1.662.50100%
King v Scholten (21:30 GMT)1.732.28102%
Mawson v Part (22:00 GMT)3.651.37101%
Bates v Jones (22:30 GMT)2.121.90100%
Not a lot of time to post now, hopefully I will in the morning as there looks to be some value seeing as its a sprint format.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts In regards to the outrights: Mason @ 80/1 e.w & 8/1 to win his group & 14/1 to win his quarter. Mason is a mercurial talent who has underachieved in his career in truth. Despite many flashes he has always seemed to fall short and lose close games when he would appear to be the better player. However he has shown better form in the last two months, was a touch unlucky in the WGP and reached a final in Holland last week. He does have a real tough task with Barney and Lewis major threats in his group. However in a short format Mason is definitely in with a chance and Barney has an indifferent record in first round games in a format like this at the IDL and also to a lesser extent the slightly longer MOD, although he generally finds a way to get through his group. If, and it is an if, he can get through his group he would fancy his chances even agaisnt someone like Terry Jenkins. McDine 125/1 e.w, 4/1 to win his group and 9/1 to win his quarter. McDine is one of the up and coming players on the circuit. He came through a very tough qualifying heat with Mason to get here and I do not think he is in a bad group: Manley often finds a way to some through these groups but he has shown precious little this year after his exploits at the MOD and is very inconsistent, Greatbatch I do not really rate and was fortunate when he reached a BDO semi and failed to even average 90 in a game and Klaasen who as pointed is in hot form is a threat but even at his best when he won the BDO Worlds was very incosistent and often in between matches (105 average one set and not even 80 the next.) I suppose he even showed that at the WDT recently when he beat Barney only to play a shocking match against Hamilton in the next round. If he could win the group, it really opens up a bit and a q/f looks on at least. Lloyd @ 40/1 e.w, 13/2 to win his group and 10/1 to win his quarter. I am persisting in backing Lloyd and probably will do for the Worlds too. He has done little on tv in the last couple of years despite the odd performance and agonozing defeat but there was a sign in the Grand Prix that he was playing better before going out to Wade. Obviously he has a bad group, and a very tough draw after that with Taylor who has never beat on TV, Mardle seemingly in better form and Baxter who has had better floor results of late. However it is a short format that could wake up Lloyd and if and again it is an if he finds his form he is not out of it and a couple of wins could be the key to unlock his confidence and a confident Lloyd is a real threat.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts One more: Jones @ 15/2 to win his group. Anderson the standout in a group that includes Painter and Bates but the Scot is pretty skinny for a short format even if his brilliant form almost makes him deserve to be that price. Jones is a very solid player who will score even tons, 140s if not a host of 180s and is tough to beat even if he does perhaps lack a higher level. He will have home support and has shown in the past an ability to rattle and soemtimes beat big names such as Hankey, Lewis and T.Jenkins.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 4 on day one: Hamilton @ 10/11 to beat Van der Voort. The Dutchman has done the better of the two on TV this year and Hamilton has bar the WDT not gone on from his World Championship semi but Van der Voort will not find it easy to play against Hamilton's slower play and the Stoke man is probably the more consistent in general comapared to Van der Voort who like a lot of his fellow Dutchman throw in patches so often. Mason @ 11/4 is too big to beat Barney in a short format. I have already talked of Mason's ability and he has beaten Barney before and indeed thrased him in the first phase of majors. Barney is the obvious fvaourite but quite simply, Mason should not be this big to beat him in a short format or really any format. De Ruiter @ 11/17 to beat Orreal. I confess I know little about Orreal so I might be underestimating him but he has come in as a late replacement from a long way away and it must be hard to adjust quickly and even if he does the Dutchman should have too much for him and I would have thought have been even shorter. Jones @ 10/11 to beat Bates. Jones as I said is a gritty solid player and even though there is probably not too much in this on paper, I favour Jones. Bates has had a poor year with foot problems playing a part in that but even before that he has not reached the heights following his final appearance in the UK Open next year.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts Right, 1 more outright outright before the off. 1pt ew M.van Gerwen to win Grand Slam of Darts 40/1 Ladbrokes Michael van Gerwen has done precious little since he joined the PDC but we mustn't forget the abundance of talent that he has and that talent seems to come to the fore when the TV cameras and bright lights roll into town. For all the talent he has, 40/1 looks very big. He's in a very competitive group but ultimately one which he can qualify from and then once we get into the longer matches he might just take some stopping, especially if he can pick up 3 wins in the group stage to really boost his confidence. There's plenty of in form names in the bottom half of the draw, namely Taylor and Anderson but van Gerwen fears nobody and if he makes it to the knockouts he could just go all the way.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts And now 3 group bets. 2pts A.Lewis to win Group A 3/1 Ladbrokes Adrian Lewis is a pretty big price to win this group which could end up being decided on the match between himself and Barney. Chris Mason and Dennis Priestley are the other 2 in this group but with Priestley's health issues, regrettably he's easily passed over and Mason while he's in good nick he doesn't have the belief that he can beat the best, particularly in big events. Lewis beat Barney at the Matchplay and he nearly repeated the feat in Dublin, losing in a deciding leg. theoretically he should have more chance in a shorter format such as this of beating Barney which would make the 3/1 Ladbrokes have chalked up very big indeed so a small punt on Lewis is the play in Group A. 2pts V.van der Voort to win Group B 11/4 Betfred Vincent van der Voort made a final in Ireland 2 weeks ago and comes into this in good form. His game is perfectly suited to shorter matches as he showed in Bolton earlier this year and if he hits his staps here in Wolverhampton the other 3 in his group could be beaten before they've blinked. On current form I'd have to have van der Voort 2nd favourite in this group behind Jenkins with Hamilton not in form and the South African qualifier seemingly a sitting duck and if it becomes a match between Jenkins and van der Voort, remembering that the Dutchman went 5-0 up on Jenkins in the semi at Bolton, 11/4 on van der Voort is the call. 4pts M.Webster to win Group F 11/8 Stan James Mark Webster is a class act as he showed at the International Darts League where he made the final. He comes in here as the best ranked BDO player and is good enough to take this group. It's another group which looks a 2 horse race. Andy Jenkins isn't in the class of Webster and the main danger, John Part and Gary Mawson shouldn't cause too much damage. So it becomes a match between Part and Webster and that would be a tough one to call. However unlike Webby, who beat Taylor in a best of 13 leg match in the IDL, Part has been known to wobble in these short matches and for that reason the Welshman is the call.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 1 more group bet before I do Saturday's bets, of which there are a few. 1pt R.Baxter to win Group E 12/1 Boylesports Ronnie Baxter has had a torrid last couple of years but he showed that the old Ronnie might not have been too far away with his run to the quarter finals of the World Matchplay. Since then he's gone on and won the Windy City Open and also reached a UK Open regional final in Scotland as well as a couple of other semis and quarters so the old Baxter appears to be back. Unfortunately for Baxter he has a seemingly rejuvenated Taylor in his group but this is a group where all 4 could beat all 4. Lloyd and Mardle make up the group but Baxter is particularly effective in short sprints and 12/1 is simply too big on the Rocket. He's troubled Taylor in the past and he could just be clicking into gear at the right time to take this group by surprise.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts Ok lots of nice prices around on Saturday and I'll chance quite a few of them. 10pts J.Klaasen to beat S.Greatbatch 8/13 Bet Direct As I mentioned in the outright post, Jelle Klaasen is back in form and he usually shoots out of the blocks, which of course you need to do in these best of 9 leg sprints. That's something that Shaun Greatbatch doesn't always do. Greatbatch may feel a bit of pressure in this tournament because it's not often he's in such illustrious company and really and truly this looks a tough ask for Greatbatch. Klaasen knows he needs to win this group to avoid Wade in the 2nd round and a win here will see him on course for that. 10pts V.van der Voort to beat A.Hamilton 11/10 Skybet In such a short sprint I'm not sure if I'd make Hamilton favourite in this match. Chuck in the Dutchman's return to form in Ireland 2 weeks ago when he made the final of a players championship tournament and I definitely don't think I would. Hamilton has struggled for a while for some reason while van der Voort is starting to establish himself in the PDC. If Hamilton doesn't score from dart 1 then I think Vincent could well be away and gone in the blink of an eye and I'll take the Dutchman to win this one. 10pts M.Webster to beat A.Jenkins 1.57 Betfair As I said in my outright post, Mark Webster is a class act and a very solid darts player. He doesn't get rushed and he scores very heavily as a result. He's usually solid on his doubles which is something Andy Jenkins isn't as those of us who were on him to beat Dudbridge last month can testify. In these best of 9's you can't miss doubles but Jenkins will and that will give Webby the victory. 10pts N.de Ruiter to beat P.Orreal 1.65 Expekt Niels de Ruiter made it to this tournament by making the semi finals at the Lakeside last year and in that run he played some solid darts under pressure. That bodes well for him in this tournament where he would think he's got a great chance of making the knockout stages. Pat Orreal from Australia is 1st up for him and this should be a formality really. Orreal is a replacement for Glenn Power so he's not even the 1st Aussie qualifier here which would suggest he could be out of his depth and for that reason I'll take the young Dutchman to win this one. 10pts R.Baxter to beat C.Lloyd 2.55 Expekt Again, as I said in my group bet post Ronnie Baxter is just coming into some form. Form is something which Colin Lloyd hasn't shown for a while, particularly on TV. This is an important match for both players because if they are playing for 2nd place in this group, with the very dangerous Wayne Mardle also around, the loser here could be gone before the tournament really gets going. Lloyd lost to an unknown Dutchman in the Players Championship last Sunday in the 1st round. Baxter beat Lloyd 3-0 in the German Players Championship 3 weeks ago and is good in these short matches and is a decent price to beat ol Jaws here. 10pts K.McDine to beat P.Manley 6/4 Boylesports Not many TV darts fans will have heard of Kevin McDine but he's a youngster making great strides on the circuit and he came here via a tough qualification series. He'll be disappointed that he didn't come through the World Championship qualifiers yesterday but at least he got a couple of matches under his belt. Peter Manley is a solid darts player but the one thing he doesn't do is score the greatest. McDine will get chances here if he scores well and in a best of 9 it's usually the heavier scorer who wins so I'll take the youngster to upset One Dart.

Ok lots of nice prices around on Saturday and I'll chance quite a few of them. 10pts J.Klaasen to beat S.Greatbatch 8/13 Bet Direct As I mentioned in the outright post, Jelle Klaasen is back in form and he usually shoots out of the blocks, which of course you need to do in these best of 9 leg sprints. That's something that Shaun Greatbatch doesn't always do. Greatbatch may feel a bit of pressure in this tournament because it's not often he's in such illustrious company and really and truly this looks a tough ask for Greatbatch. Klaasen knows he needs to win this group to avoid Wade in the 2nd round and a win here will see him on course for that. 10pts V.van der Voort to beat A.Hamilton 11/10 Skybet In such a short sprint I'm not sure if I'd make Hamilton favourite in this match. Chuck in the Dutchman's return to form in Ireland 2 weeks ago when he made the final of a players championship tournament and I definitely don't think I would. Hamilton has struggled for a while for some reason while van der Voort is starting to establish himself in the PDC. If Hamilton doesn't score from dart 1 then I think Vincent could well be away and gone in the blink of an eye and I'll take the Dutchman to win this one. 10pts M.Webster to beat A.Jenkins 1.57 Betfair As I said in my outright post, Mark Webster is a class act and a very solid darts player. He doesn't get rushed and he scores very heavily as a result. He's usually solid on his doubles which is something Andy Jenkins isn't as those of us who were on him to beat Dudbridge last month can testify. In these best of 9's you can't miss doubles but Jenkins will and that will give Webby the victory. 10pts N.de Ruiter to beat P.Orreal 1.65 Expekt Niels de Ruiter made it to this tournament by making the semi finals at the Lakeside last year and in that run he played some solid darts under pressure. That bodes well for him in this tournament where he would think he's got a great chance of making the knockout stages. Pat Orreal from Australia is 1st up for him and this should be a formality really. Orreal is a replacement for Glenn Power so he's not even the 1st Aussie qualifier here which would suggest he could be out of his depth and for that reason I'll take the young Dutchman to win this one. 10pts R.Baxter to beat C.Lloyd 2.55 Expekt Again, as I said in my group bet post Ronnie Baxter is just coming into some form. Form is something which Colin Lloyd hasn't shown for a while, particularly on TV. This is an important match for both players because if they are playing for 2nd place in this group, with the very dangerous Wayne Mardle also around, the loser here could be gone before the tournament really gets going. Lloyd lost to an unknown Dutchman in the Players Championship last Sunday in the 1st round. Baxter beat Lloyd 3-0 in the German Players Championship 3 weeks ago and is good in these short matches and is a decent price to beat ol Jaws here. 10pts K.McDine to beat P.Manley 6/4 Boylesports Not many TV darts fans will have heard of Kevin McDine but he's a youngster making great strides on the circuit and he came here via a tough qualification series. He'll be disappointed that he didn't come through the World Championship qualifiers yesterday but at least he got a couple of matches under his belt. Peter Manley is a solid darts player but the one thing he doesn't do is score the greatest. McDine will get chances here if he scores well and in a best of 9 it's usually the heavier scorer who wins so I'll take the youngster to upset One Dart.
Good luck with some of these Kev especially McDine who I put up in the outrights and was going to put up in the Manley match and yet for some reason left it out.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts Poor first day although a cople of the outrights had good wins. Painter @ 4/6 to beat Bates. Painter played well yesterday in thrasing Anderson and he scored very well. Bates did not play that well in beating the disappointing Jones. The winner of this will probably go through and Painter will be keen to uild on hi sgood win yesterday. Hamilton 13/8 against T.Jenkins. Hamilton is too big here in a match where although Jenkins maybe the favourite there should be very little in it. Hamilton came back from 2-0 down to beat Voort with a 100 average near enough and Jenkins also played quite well in beating the South African but in efefctively a coin toss type match, Hmailton stands out. Scholten @ Evens to beat Van Gerwen. Scholten played very well yesterday to beat King, both averaged over 100 and it took a classy 144 checkout for Scholten to nick it. I do not think Van Gerwen is quite on his game at the moment and although he won yesterday, he was fortunate as Waites missed darts to bear him and he will need to play a lot better. Mason @ 5/6 to beat Priestley. Mason was typical yesterday. He started really well with huge checkouts, only to fail to maintain it and eventually go down to Barney 5-3. Priestley obviously has his health problems at the moment and we all wish him well and only just lost to Lewis. I just feel that this do or die situation might bring out the best in Mason. Baxter @ 11/10 to beat Mardle. I feel Baxter arrives in this one with the better form and he played better in defeat than Mardle did yesterday so being the slight underdog, I just favour Baxter.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts Took a bit of a watching brief this afternoon as I missed yesterday afternoon's play. Will get involved in some tonight though.

Sunday 18 November 2007
Player 1Player 2bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged." align="middle">sp.gifBPP
Greatbatch v Manley (19:15 GMT)2.561.66100%
Losper v Van der Voort (19:45 GMT)4.101.3698%
De Ruiter v Nixon (20:15 GMT)2.401.67102%
Jenkins v Mawson (20:45 GMT)1.612.66100%
Scholten v Van Gerwen (21:15 GMT)2.101.93100%
Mason v Priestley (21:45 GMT)1.802.3299%
Anderson v Jones (22:15 GMT)1.403.50100%
Baxter v Mardle (22:45 GMT)2.251.78101%
1st one. 10pts P.Nixon to beat N.de Ruiter 4/6 Boylesports Phill Nixon was a bit unlucky to lose to James Wade yesterday and probably should actually have won having led 4-2. But there's nowt to be ashamed of in losing to James Wade these days. Niels de Ruiter though had an absolute shocker against the Aussie qualifier. He just didn't turn up. He'll have to improve remarkably on last night's effort to win this. Nixon beat de Ruiter in the semi finals at Lakeside in January and I think he'll send him packing here too.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts I'll go with 2 more. Both outsiders. 10pts G.Mawson to beat A.Jenkins 6/4 Blue Square Both these players benefitted from their opponents playing badly yesterday but both played well themselves and won with something to spare. Mawson probably isn't well known over here but he was a half decent player before leaving the game for 5 years. He's back now though and showed his quality in making the quarter finals of the Desert Classic earlier this year. He beat Alan Tabern on his way to those quarter finals where he was edged out by Terry Jenkins. Andy Jenkins made the semis of the world championship at the start of the year but has done precious little since and if Mawson can get the throw or start well he's got enough in him to beat Rocky. 10pts R.Baxter to beat W.Mardle 5/4 William Hill Both these players have been handed a real lifeline thanks to Taylor beating Lloyd so comfortably this afternoon and so both now know that 2 wins will see them through. Baxter was going along nicely last night against Lloyd but Lloyd then went on a run where he didn't miss a single thing. Mardle wasn't great against Taylor. He scored plenty of tons but only 2 scores of 140+ over 7 legs isn't going to win you too many matches. Baxter's come into the event in decent form and I think he'll see off Mr Hawaii tonight.

Took a bit of a watching brief this afternoon as I missed yesterday afternoon's play. Will get involved in some tonight though.
Sunday 18 November 2007
Greatbatch v Manley (19:15 GMT)2.561.66100%
Losper v Van der Voort (19:45 GMT)4.101.3698%
De Ruiter v Nixon (20:15 GMT)2.401.67102%
Jenkins v Mawson (20:45 GMT)1.612.66100%
Scholten v Van Gerwen (21:15 GMT)2.101.93100%
Mason v Priestley (21:45 GMT)1.802.3299%
Anderson v Jones (22:15 GMT)1.403.50100%
Baxter v Mardle (22:45 GMT)2.251.78101%
1st one. 10pts P.Nixon to beat N.de Ruiter 4/6 Boylesports Phill Nixon was a bit unlucky to lose to James Wade yesterday and probably should actually have won having led 4-2. But there's nowt to be ashamed of in losing to James Wade these days. Niels de Ruiter though had an absolute shocker against the Aussie qualifier. He just didn't turn up. He'll have to improve remarkably on last night's effort to win this. Nixon beat de Ruiter in the semi finals at Lakeside in January and I think he'll send him packing here too.
I'll go with 2 more. Both outsiders. 10pts G.Mawson to beat A.Jenkins 6/4 Blue Square Both these players benefitted from their opponents playing badly yesterday but both played well themselves and won with something to spare. Mawson probably isn't well known over here but he was a half decent player before leaving the game for 5 years. He's back now though and showed his quality in making the quarter finals of the Desert Classic earlier this year. He beat Alan Tabern on his way to those quarter finals where he was edged out by Terry Jenkins. Andy Jenkins made the semis of the world championship at the start of the year but has done precious little since and if Mawson can get the throw or start well he's got enough in him to beat Rocky. 10pts R.Baxter to beat W.Mardle 5/4 William Hill Both these players have been handed a real lifeline thanks to Taylor beating Lloyd so comfortably this afternoon and so both now know that 2 wins will see them through. Baxter was going along nicely last night against Lloyd but Lloyd then went on a run where he didn't miss a single thing. Mardle wasn't great against Taylor. He scored plenty of tons but only 2 scores of 140+ over 7 legs isn't going to win you too many matches. Baxter's come into the event in decent form and I think he'll see off Mr Hawaii tonight.
Better night tonight. Groups A-D finish off tomorrow night. Just waiting for everyone to price up then I'll have a look at some bets.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts Yesterday went quite well. Tricky today with some dead matches but one I will go for is McDine to beat Greatbatch @ 4/5. McDine came into this with a bit of a reputation and he has not disappointed. He impressed in thrasing Manley and averaged over 90 in defeat to Klaasen. Greatbatch played better in beating Manley but was woeful in his first game and can be so prone to missing doubles at times which in such a short format can be costly. No bets for me in the the others but Mason could be a bit big if he turns up against Lewis with a lot riding on the game and even Van der Voort who looks to be playing well could 'surprise' Jenkins but no involvment for me.

1pm 8 x 1st phase of Group matches (best of nine legs)
7pm 8 x 1st phase of Group matches (best of nine legs)

1pm 8 x 2nd phase of Group matches (best of nine legs, losers first phase matches)
7pm 8 x 2nd phase of Group matches (best of nine legs, winners first phase matches)

6pm Last 16 matches (best of 19 legs)

6pm Quarter finals (best of 19 legs)

2pm Semi Finals (best of 25 legs)

3.30pm Final (best of 35 legs)

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 4 for me tonight. 10pts A.Hamilton -2.5 legs to beat C.Losper 8/11 Stan James Charles Losper is nowhere near the worst foreign qualifier I've seen on these shores and he's given a great account of himself in this tournament which he can take into the World Championships but he's out of his depth tonight. Andy Hamilton has played lovely darts in this tournament so far and there's no way I can see Losper winning 3 legs in this match. Hamilton's been averaging over 95 so far in the event and a repeat of that will see him beat the South African 5-1 or 5-2. 10pts A.Lewis to beat C.Mason 8/15 Boylesports The winner of this match gets to lay down a challenge to Priestley and indeed Barney when they compete later in the night and although Mason is playing well I don't think he can score well enough to stick with Lewis. He let the crowd get to him last night and that effected his play. Lewis knows a win will see him through and the more comfortable the win the more he could go through as group winner. Lewis hasn't played badly in this event and I think he'll see off Mason at a short but ok price. 10pts K.McDine to beat S.Greatbatch 5/6 Stan James Kevin McDine was absolutely brilliant against Manley on his TV debut and he wasn't a million miles off beating Klaasen yesterday either. Greatbatch came to the party last night with a couple of big checkouts but he was poor against Manley and with the power McDine can score with, should he get going tonight Greatbatch will rely on yet more big checkouts. It's winner takes all tonight and I expect that winner to be Kevin McDine. 10pts V.van der Voort to beat T.Jenkins 7/4 BetDirect Vincent van der Voort has played really well in this tournament. Averaging over 97 in his 1st match he'd have beaten most player but Andy Hamilton was just too good. He even averaged almost 97 last night. Jenkins hasn't been near that sort of form. He averaged 94 against Losper but was down in the 80s with his average yesterday so on averages alone van der Voort has an excellent chance of beating Jenkins. These 2 met in the quarter finals of the UK Open when van der Voort shot off into a 5-0 lead before winning 11-10 and on current form so far this week I think the Dutchman will win again tonight.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts McDine won well last night and despite facing Wade in round two is not a furlong hope. Still tricky with some dead games tomorrow but a couple I like are: Lloyd @ 8/11 to beat Mardle. Lloyd played very well to beat Baxter especially after the first couple of legs and averaged 99 for the match and probably even more than that after the first two legs before not really competing against a red hot Taylor yet again. Mardle was average in his first match and despite beating Baxter was average again with 'only' an 85 average. He actually has a fairly decent record against Lloyd but on current form in a do or die match I favour Jaws. Part @ 4/6 to beat A.Jenkins. Part was a transformed player against Webster from his first round as he bounced back from 4-1 down to win 5-4 and set up this winner takes all game. Jenkins so good in his first game was a let down against Mawson from a winning position and it is not the first time Rocky has done this. With a lot of pressure on this game I have to favour the man who handles pressure a lot better in Part.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts Not a great night last night thanks mainly to Hamilton playing like a twat for 4 legs. The good news of last night though was Nixon shitting a brick and letting the Aussie through. I'd be amazed if he gets close to Klaasen over 19 legs. Going for 3 tonight. All odds on. Don't think it'll be a night for shocks. 1st one 10pts R.Scholten to beat S.Waites 4/7 Boylesports I should really have learnt my lesson of betting in these dead rubbers after Hamilton last night but Scholten has been the best player in this tournament by a country mile so far. I guess there's no great reward for winning this group as Gary Anderson is likely to wait in the 2nd round for the group winner but Painter showed he can be beaten so hopefully Scholten produces another good performance. I'm confident he will as winning is a habit. Scott Waites isn't the worst player in this tournament and in many other groups he'll have played well enough to qualify but Roland has been off his tits this week so far and I'll take him to win this and gain a clean sweep in a very tough group.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts And the other 2. 10pts M.Webster to beat G.Mawson 8/15 Skybet Mark Webster is a very good darts player and he should be playing this match for the chance of a place in the 2nd round having led John Part 4-1 in his last match. He didn't get the job done though but he won't want to leave this tournament without a win and I think he'll beat Mawson tonight. Mawson has won his 2 matches very easily but he hasn't played that well in either yet, he hasn't averaged 90 in either of his matches which should be a minimum really with the averages distorted by the short format. Webster averaged 97 against Part and a repeat will give him a consolation win here. 10pts C.Lloyd to beat W.Mardle 8/11 Blue Square Colin Lloyd played great darts against Ronnie Baxter then tamely lost to Phil Taylor as ever but we can forget that game because Colin Lloyd is someone Taylor's beaten before a dart is even thrown. The way he played against Baxter suggests he can win tonight. Mardle is yet to average in the 90s in this tournament so will have to up his game a lot tonight. Lloyd averaged nigh on 100 in beating Baxter and is hitting 140s like they are in a sale and his heavy scoring should prove too much for Mardle.