** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Boxing: Mayweather v Hatton - Dec 8th

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Boxing: Mayweather v Hatton - Dec 8th

Hey boys i am only 21 years old and probably have only been following boxing for 5 years so my knowledge limited. Could someone please tell me when the last fight was with this much anticipation around it? Because i realy realy think we are all going to witness one of the greatest fights in the history of this planet!
It reminds me a lot of Sugar Ray Leonard v Marvelous Marvin Hagler. I think the value pretty much lies with Mayweather now and I'll be having a large single on him to win. I thought Angelo Dundee's verdict on the BBC website was about right. Mayweather looks and is the bigger / stronger boxer imo.

It reminds me a lot of Sugar Ray Leonard v Marvelous Marvin Hagler. I think the value pretty much lies with Mayweather now and I'll be having a large single on him to win. I thought Angelo Dundee's verdict on the BBC website was about right. Mayweather looks and is the bigger / stronger boxer imo.
Thanks mate :ok

Re: Boxing: Mayweather v Hatton - Dec 8th I've gone for Hatton to win by KO and Hatton to win on points instead of just taking the outright bet. Also had small stakes on Hatton KO for each round from 8-12. I have this awful feeling though that he will lose, felt like this since about lunchtime and have felt confident the rest of the time until the fight has got closer.

Re: Boxing: Mayweather v Hatton - Dec 8th Late money seemingly on Mayweather over at a few of the offshore books. You can back Ricky Hatton just to win at odds of 21/10 over at The Greek and +216 at Pinnacle (it's a no bet as there's no odds on the draw if that were to happen)! :eek COME ON RICKY!! :clap :loon

Re: Boxing: Mayweather v Hatton - Dec 8th Unfortunately Hatton was completely outclassed and the finish by knockout was no surprise at all (not that it was for me anyway:dude). IMO Mayweather was in control from the first and played it perfectly. Hatton was starting to tire by the 6th whilst Mayweather had just gone to the ropes for the first half of the fight and sucked it all up. As soon as Hatton slowed and got caught the head movement and explosive forwards movement went and he was just walking straight into everything Floyd threw. Although I hate to say it Hatton was exposed tonight as everything he'd been protesting he wasn't - a one dimensional spoiler. Whilst Mayweather turned out to be everything he said he was - superb on the inside, outside, in defence and in attack. He knew he'd been in a fight no doubt, Hatton showed that he is tough, brave and can keep going forward when most, with the best will in the world would have withered but in the end he just wasn't good enough

Re: Boxing: Mayweather v Hatton - Dec 8th I felt they were trying to make excuses for Hatton at first, blaming Joe Cortez and saying Hatton then had to chase the fight but the truth of the matter was that he wasn't good enough. He looked really nervous before the fight and still when he got in the ring, it can sometimes work for you but I felt it went against him this time. Cortez certainly didn't help things in the first few rounds and broke up any fluency for either fighter, I wasn't sure if someone had a word with Cortez as he seemed to stand off a bit and let them closer as the fight went on. Don't really know how HBO had Hatton in front, I felt he was chasing the fight from early on. He had a reach disadvantage and needed to get inside but was walking forward without a defence and getting his head jabbed off. When he did get inside he didn't unleash the usual body shots and just didn't seem to fight his usual fight, there were times when the left side of Floyds body was exposed but Hatton didn't even try the right hook to the body. It was frustrating to watch. Credit where it is due, Floyd may or may not be one of the hardest punchers in the game but there are only so many shots you can keep taking, the accumulation of shots took their toll and the precision and accuracy were lethal. He boxed brilliantly and I can understand why he would consider calling it a day, he has nothing left to prove and many fighters don't know when to quit. He came across as a really decent genuine fella in his interview after the fight. The fight sold itself and there was no need for the arrogance in the build up to the fight, he let his boxing do the talking on the night and best to luck to him with his career as a promoter. As for Hatton, there is still one fight the public want to see and that is Hatton V Witter. Witter has already said he is still waiting if Hatton were to lose. Most people are sick of Witter calling him out and want Hatton to shut him up once and for all, maybe he is not up to the job. It would be a best of British and Witter holds the prestigious WBC belt, will Hatton finally decide this is a fight he wants after his failure in Vegas???

Unfortunately Hatton was completely outclassed and the finish by knockout was no surprise at all (not that it was for me anyway:dude). IMO Mayweather was in control from the first and played it perfectly. Hatton was starting to tire by the 6th whilst Mayweather had just gone to the ropes for the first half of the fight and sucked it all up. As soon as Hatton slowed and got caught the head movement and explosive forwards movement went and he was just walking straight into everything Floyd threw. Although I hate to say it Hatton was exposed tonight as everything he'd been protesting he wasn't - a one dimensional spoiler. Whilst Mayweather turned out to be everything he said he was - superb on the inside, outside, in defence and in attack. He knew he'd been in a fight no doubt, Hatton showed that he is tough, brave and can keep going forward when most, with the best will in the world would have withered but in the end he just wasn't good enough
I think that's a bit harsh on Hatton - he's shown in the past that he not a one dimensional fight. He was, as you say, simply outclassed by a stronger, quicker fighter. But there's no shame in being outclassed by someone who will go down as one of the greatest fighters of any era.

I felt they were trying to make excuses for Hatton at first, blaming Joe Cortez and saying Hatton then had to chase the fight but the truth of the matter was that he wasn't good enough. He looked really nervous before the fight and still when he got in the ring, it can sometimes work for you but I felt it went against him this time. Cortez certainly didn't help things in the first few rounds and broke up any fluency for either fighter, I wasn't sure if someone had a word with Cortez as he seemed to stand off a bit and let them closer as the fight went on. Don't really know how HBO had Hatton in front, I felt he was chasing the fight from early on. He had a reach disadvantage and needed to get inside but was walking forward without a defence and getting his head jabbed off. When he did get inside he didn't unleash the usual body shots and just didn't seem to fight his usual fight, there were times when the left side of Floyds body was exposed but Hatton didn't even try the right hook to the body. It was frustrating to watch. Credit where it is due, Floyd may or may not be one of the hardest punchers in the game but there are only so many shots you can keep taking, the accumulation of shots took their toll and the precision and accuracy were lethal. He boxed brilliantly and I can understand why he would consider calling it a day, he has nothing left to prove and many fighters don't know when to quit. He came across as a really decent genuine fella in his interview after the fight. The fight sold itself and there was no need for the arrogance in the build up to the fight, he let his boxing do the talking on the night and best to luck to him with his career as a promoter. As for Hatton, there is still one fight the public want to see and that is Hatton V Witter. Witter has already said he is still waiting if Hatton were to lose. Most people are sick of Witter calling him out and want Hatton to shut him up once and for all, maybe he is not up to the job. It would be a best of British and Witter holds the prestigious WBC belt, will Hatton finally decide this is a fight he wants after his failure in Vegas???
Hatton v Witter is certainly the fight boxing fans would like to see, but the general public mostly haven't heard of Witter. Having said that - there's not many options at Light-Welterweight, and perhaps after his 2 experiences at Welter he will want to stick to his natural division. The only problem with the Witter fight is that it wouldn't sell in the US, as they only remember Witter v Judah over there. You say Floyd's body was exposed but I don't agree - that's just the beauty of his defence - stand very side on, get punches on that side to just slip off him, and then all he has to worry about is the left hand - which he did an extremely effective job of tieing up.

I think that's a bit harsh on Hatton - he's shown in the past that he not a one dimensional fight. He was' date=' as you say, simply outclassed by a stronger, quicker fighter. But there's no shame in being outclassed by someone who will go down as one of the greatest fighters of any era.[/quote'] He had no plan B though. He cut the ring down, got inside and got completely stifled. Then what? Mayweather took him on on the inside, wore him out then took him to pieces from a distance and hatton had no answer. Don't get me wrong, Hatton didn't disgrace himslef in any way, as a British sports fan I'm proud to have someone like Hatton representing us abroad. But that's not say I'd let the sentimentality cloud my judgment. I called the knockout before the fight and it played out pretty much how i thought it would, although Hatton always had a punchers chance. I wouldn't worry too much about US box office, Hatton's profile over here after this means his next fight will be big regardless, and it's not as if he needs the money. Hatton V Witter, City of Manchester stadium, some time around June/July. He could sell it out twice.

Re: Boxing: Mayweather v Hatton - Dec 8th I can't see Golden Boy promotions putting on a fight that doesn't sell in the US - it's not about how much Hatton makes, it's how much the money men make. Like you say, he got outclassed. He knew he couldn't outbox Mayweather, so he tried to rough him up. Obviously it didn't work, as Mayweather was simply too good defensively and could then unload his own punches. But that's not to say he's 1-dimensional - he's shown in the past (see fights against Tackie and Magee for examples) that he can fight in different styles. But when you come up against the best it's not that easy. I'd say Hatton was "exposed" as being just below the very top level, rather than 1-dimensional, but that was something we probably all expected anyway.

I can't see Golden Boy promotions putting on a fight that doesn't sell in the US - it's not about how much Hatton makes, it's how much the money men make.
Is Hatton tied to Golden Boy then? I thought he was more or less independant now. Where does Hatton go from here? It'll be hard for him to ever reach the kind of intensity he's reached for this fight and I just wonder if this fight will have killed a little bit of something in him. If you're on a journey to become numper 1 P4P and find out you just fall short what do you do? Is he ever going to be inspired to really train to fight the likes of Witter?

Re: Boxing: Mayweather v Hatton - Dec 8th I'm not certain on the promotions, but I understood De La Hoya is his promoter now. Can't say for sure. All the big fights are at Welterweight, but he's lost there to Mayweather, and arguably also to Collazo. The De La Hoya fight looks a no go now - too big for Hatton, they're 2 divisions apart really. But at Welter he could fight Cotto, Mosley, Judah, Williams, Margarito. I think Cott v Mayweather is likely if Floyd doesn't retire now, Mosley would be the obvious, with both coming off defeats. I personally think he will go back to light-welter, the problem being that there aren't many big fights there. I don't think it will sell in America, but Witter may be Hatton's best option. It's a fight I don't really want to see as I've always fancied Witter to win, but I don't really want to see Hatton's career crumble from here. Of course, what would be great from a British point of view would be a little sequence of fights involving Hatton, Witter, Rees and Khan. Maybe Hatton v Witter, Khan v Rees, and winners facing off. Not going to happen though. Otherwise, there really aren't the names at light-welter - Castillo rematch would have been an option if Hatton hadn't dismissed him so comfortably before, but wont happen now IMO.

At this stage I'm edging towards Mayweather. If he plays it smart and doesn't rise to any of the bragging about being entertaining he's the better boxer. I also worry for hatton if this goes to points on a Golden Boy promotions card.
went with Mayweather on points on the end, never expected him to get the ko, very good performance from the pretty boy.

Re: Boxing: Mayweather v Hatton - Dec 8th The aftermath that is Bettingzone Market News: 1800: Although Ricky Hatton has said he would take on Floyd Mayweather again, William Hill are offering odds of 2/1 that his next fight will be against Oscar de la Hoya. The same firm offer 2/1 that it is against domestic rival Junior Witter while Miguel Cotto is 12/1 with the possible rematch against Mayweather also a 12/1 shot. And Hills offer 4/1 that Ricky will not fight at all in 2008; 5/6 that he fights just once; 3/1 twice, and 20/1 three or more times. Meanwhile, Hills say that if a Hatton v Mayweather rematch were to take place the Brit would be a huge 5/1 underdog, with the American 1/9 and the draw 20/1. "Ricky may be talking big about meeting Mayweather again but we suspect he will not ever want to get back in the same ring," said Hill's spokesman Graham Sharpe. But Hills have Hatton 5/6 to beat Oscar de la Hoya, also 5/6, with the draw 20/1 if they meet. He would be 1/4 to beat 11/4 shot Junior Witter with the draw 20/1 and 13/8 to defeat Miguel Cotto, who would be 4/9 favourite, draw 20/1.