Favourite Jockeys

RussP

As its Sunday night & we are all relaxing, just thought I'd start a thread about jockeys. List your favourites here: Jockeys Flat 1. Ryan Moore - best jockey around IMO. Always puts his horse in the best position, and you know he's been trying no matter the result. 2. James Doyle - cracking jockey on the AW and one I like to follow. 3. William Buick - the next big thing. Won on a 10/1 shot for me yesterday too. Jumps 1. AP McCoy - nothing more to say about this genius. 2. Jamie Moore - vastly improved over the last 12 months, and one to watch this season. 3. Tom Scudamore - as Moore.

Re: Favourite Jockeys It's quite predictable who i'm going to choose as my best jockey - the man Kieren Fallon. He has been fortunate to ride some of the top horses due to being at the top stables, especially while he was with Stoute but I have also seen him win on shite horses that other jockeys seem unable to get a tune out of. He might be labelled a cheat but he still hasn't been convicted (yet) while other jockeys are being banned and warned off every other week. I think he is a good tactician, especially at the 1m2f - 1m4f top class group races and is strong in a finish, always driving the horse and not letting it give up on him, similar to McCoy over the jumps. I have to give a special mention to Hayley Turner, there aren't many female jockeys that lose their claim and can then still compete with the fellas but she regularly wins and will go to all the smaller race tracks for the winners. She is a credit to horse racing and is quite a pretty girl too with a cute ass, I bet the jockeys love getting changed with her. :D I also have a lot of admiration for Dettori, he came to this country at a young age and had to make his way to the top. A great personality and has done a lot of good for the profile of horse racing in this country. Was written off and shoved the pundits words back down their throat when once again winning the jockeys title. Seems like a very decent down to earth family man and realises how lucky he is after the helicopter crash that nearly killed him and always has a smile on his face. I've recently read Timmy Murphy's autobiography and didn't realise what he had been through with the alcohol problems and prison and shows his strength of character to come back from all that and still be considered a very good jockey. Had it all, lost it all and got it back. A very good read if anyone is considering a book. I've also got a lot of time for Chocolate Thornton, had a very good Cheltenham and got some of the credit he richly deserves. Often gets forgotten with all focus being on the clash between AP and Ruby but had great rides on My Way De Solzen, Voy Por Ustedes and Katchit to name a few. Also like Mick Kinane, Jamie Spencer (1m2f - 1m4f), and Neil Callan on the all weather.

Re: Favourite Jockeys I really like backing Jimmy Fortune on young/inexperienced horses he seems to get them to settle very quickly then gently easying them into the race and getting the best out of them with out them realising it.Not to bad on the older horses either.Great hands top jock IMO.

Re: Favourite Jockeys Flat: 1 R Moore .. the only jockey that impresses me. Jumps: 1. AP is nomber one and you know you will get a run for the money nommater the donkey he's on. Unfortunately horses are shorter than they should be because of him on. 2. Ruby, Thornton, G Lee and J Moore are all decent jockeys and know how to win races. Timmy Murphy and Richard Johnson are the overrated two I don't rate at all.

Re: Favourite Jockeys Apart from the top jock's as mentioned above i quite like Paul Hanagan, he always seems to give his rides a chance, similar to Ryan Moore in a lot of ways. Over the jumps i've always been a fan of the under-rated Leighton Aspell, superb tactician and i know is very well respected among the top jockeys and trainers on the jumping scene. Must disagree with Mowgli on one point, Timmy Murphy as some of you will know is not in my top 50 jump jockeys, can only ride on horses that need holding up, falls off far too many and wasnt considered for the Pipe job bacause of it. David Johnson's patience must be waring thin and i expect it to finally ware out this season although he did say he would stand by him? Milen may have a point regarding Richard Johnson too, he's the opposite of Murphy, at his best when blasting off from the front but misjudges a lot of races. All these words from someone who has never ridden a horse in his life:lol Good banter though!!

Re: Favourite Jockeys Mickey Fenton - I owe him plenty, he has got me out of the shit on many occasions, often pops up with a nice priced winner, rides for varied trainers. Noticed he has had about 40 rides without a winner so he will boot one in in the next day or two.

18:25 Mon 13th Aug Thirsk7f5Reel Buddy Star T P Tate 20/1
18:55 Mon 13th Aug Thirsk1m6Fairy Monarch (IRE) P T Midgley 6/1

Re: Favourite Jockeys

Apart from the top jock's as mentioned above i quite like Paul Hanagan, he always seems to give his rides a chance, similar to Ryan Moore in a lot of ways. Over the jumps i've always been a fan of the under-rated Leighton Aspell, superb tactician and i know is very well respected among the top jockeys and trainers on the jumping scene. Must disagree with Mowgli on one point, Timmy Murphy as some of you will know is not in my top 50 jump jockeys, can only ride on horses that need holding up, falls off far too many and wasnt considered for the Pipe job bacause of it. David Johnson's patience must be waring thin and i expect it to finally ware out this season although he did say he would stand by him? Milen may have a point regarding Richard Johnson too, he's the opposite of Murphy, at his best when blasting off from the front but misjudges a lot of races. All these words from someone who has never ridden a horse in his life:lol Good banter though!!
The problem I see with Murphy riding Pipe/Johnson horses is that so often they are stamina horses who often stay well and therefore an effective way of riding them is prominantly something Murphy is often reluctant to do. It would be like Jamie Spencer riding for Mark Johnston, the styles do not suit. Of other jockeys on the jumps: McCoy stands out alone with the likes of Walsh, Thornton Choc (definitely not the other one), Lee etc. and I also feel Brennan is a solid jockey who was mucked around up north. On the flat: Moore, Sanders, Callan, Fortune, Dettori especially when his confidence is up, Fallon, Murtagh, Kinane even though he has been poor this year to name a few.

Re: Favourite Jockeys In order or preference,

1. Frankie: The Dubai World cup still gives me goose bumps
  2. Kinane: Awesome Jockey
  3. AP: nuff said
  4. McEvoy: was winning on Godolphins when Franke didnt and some of his rides this year have been awesome
  5. Sanders: I like his aggresive riding style
  6. Callan:

99. Spencer :lol

Re: Favourite Jockeys got to be kieren fallon. followed the guy since he pulled stewart webster off a horse after a race at one of the northern courses(think it was carlisle). did the northern circuit before getting the good rides at newmarket. used to like ray cochrane, hard jockey to get past when in front. followed seb sanders for a while, since the reg akehurst handicap plot days in the 90's. at the moment always look out for ryan moore, but value disappearing fast on any he rides in big handicaps. never been a frankie or spencer fan. always look for a value apprentice in big races, luke morris at the moment is a good value claim. tish

Re: Favourite Jockeys Agree with Phil Robinson realy like him wish he would ride more though. Agree about James Doyle aswell top young jockey and also really like Richard Kingscote have been talking to him a lot other the last few months and def a jockey who is going places. Nicky Mackay has caught my eye this season really has looked a lot stronger than last season. Greg Fairley also another lost his claim this season and riding very well still for MArk Johnstone. Could actually name 20 odd that I like!

Re: Favourite Jockeys Well for me i would have to go across the water to the US to find my money spinners and have been profit and will be doing a thread in the next few weeks on the US racing selections. Daniel Centeno - Races mainly out of Tampa Bay and has improved a lot over the last 12 months and was winning 1-2 races at the track this year. The new thread will be four selections a night going up and explanations in to why they have been chosen..there is profit to be made there. Wups

Re: Favourite Jockeys

Well for me i would have to go across the water to the US to find my money spinners and have been profit and will be doing a thread in the next few weeks on the US racing selections. Daniel Centeno - Races mainly out of Tampa Bay and has improved a lot over the last 12 months and was winning 1-2 races at the track this year. The new thread will be four selections a night going up and explanations in to why they have been chosen..there is profit to be made there. Wups
look forward to the american selections wups!