** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

First National Winner?

Re: First National Winner? I know my first winner was Mr Frisk, though that was pure luck, I wanted a horse called Merlin (something??) but my Dad backed the wrong horse for me and the horse Merlin looked like it was going to win but fell in the lead (I think, I was quite young) and Mr Frisk then won :lol the only other time I have had the winner (and i do about 10 every year) was Earth Summit as I remember that the ground was mud and had read that he loved it how many years ago was that the bookies must of had so much of my money in the national

Re: First National Winner? I had Red Alligator as a kid, then cried when Crisp got caught by Red Rum. Famously drew Papillon in a sweep at work, and gave it to my Mum when I saw it was 33/1 two days before. Smiled through gritted teeth when the world and his dog tipped it on the day, odds tumbled, horse won. Only actual win was £5 e/w on Earth Summit, who I backed at 20/1 on the Tuesday before the race, knowing that the rain was forecast. Horse went off favourite (I think) and won easy in the mud. Nearly 30 years of hurt, with only 1 win, despite picking about 4 horses each year these days.

Re: First National Winner? Had RED ALLIGATOR , similar to It's MCG RED RUM i backed the first + 3rd win , had it in a sweep the 2nd win. MINNEHOMA + JUST SO - thought i was being clever in backing both but not the forecast , i mean who gets the forecast in the NATIONAL :sad ALDANITI - Didn't realise the Fairy tale behind it all , just thought the damn thing had a great chance. HALLO DANDY - Probably the most memorable for myself , such a shame what happened to him but at least he enjoyed his final years as a NATIONAL winner should.

Re: First National Winner? Earth Summit for me - I didn't have a clue then, just saw the board go up with the horses and saw the jockey as the one I thought would win! As the weeks went by the horse's odds went right down, everyone started talking it up and then it won!! :nana Since then the only winner I had was last year and Numbersixvalverde.... picked after a mate from Liverpool came down to see me and she told me it would win! Not being into Grand National nearly as much as this year I'd never ever heard of the horse, much less thought it could win... I had second and third too.... as those two were winning right near the end but with Numbersixvalverde pushing clear... at first I didn't realise it was that horse... when the realisation hit me wow!! :nana :nana So I just hope one of Mckelvey, Joe's Edge or Point Barrow win tomorrow to give me a winner this year too!

Re: First National Winner? Amazing, my first GN was also 1968 when Red Alligator won, was 7 at the time and remember just picking it coz of the 'Alligator' in the name. Didnt get really interested in it until the early 70's when Red Rum started to run. 1968 Cup Final is also in my memory as the first i ever sat down and watched with any real enthusiasm, Leicester got to the final in 69 and watched it every year since. God, aint we old!!

Re: First National Winner? I had Montys Pass in a sweep at work, I told my mate to back Numbersixvalvalde as I was reading a big article in the Sportsman newspaper one Thursday afternoon in the pub and 3 weeks later he shook my hand and said thanks for that Carl I owe you a pint. (I totally forgot about it:sad) My first winner was Binderee http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/photo_galleries/1914563.stm again we had a sweep at work and I fancied it anyway so I had £1.00 e/w on it also.

Re: First National Winner? My 1st winner was Aldaniti. I only backed it because I watched a late night report all about the horse and Bob Champion and thought it had to win. The 80's were a good run in the national for me as I winners for 3 years running. Aldaniti 1981 Grittar 1982 Corbiere 1983 The best national I've had was 1987 when I had: 1st. Moari Venture (took 40/1) and the 3rd & 4th (names escape me now) Had to wait until 2002 for the next winner, Bindaree. Then Hedgehunter in 2005