** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

International: UEFA 2008 qualifyers, 24/03

Re: International: UEFA 2008 qualifyers, 24/03 I agree about the 1-0 England. Rooney tends to drop too deep IMHO as staying up the pitch waiting for service from the midfeild only leaves him fustrated. Despite the lack of goals over the last 4 games this is a must win match for McClaren to keep his jaob safe and I can see England scoring from a set piece as in this area we do have some of the best ball delivery abled players. its not going to a Germany/England over 5 goal thriller this is a simple case of getting the Job done and get back home. 1-0 England Draw @ Half-time/England @ Full-time. Right Im off to paint my wall cus if this gets as bad as I think it can I'll spend the 2nd half watching the paint dry. :hope

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: International: UEFA 2008 qualifyers, 24/03 :ok

youssef thx very much indeed 4 ur efforts to write such a long analysis. it really does help. perfect job mate ;)
Agreed! Great post Youssef, better than anything we will read in the sports papers today! I particularly agree with your reservations on NI. NI should never be 1-2 away to anyone. Although I hope they win, I think that a team who have held Spain 0-0 are capable of doing the same to NI. England is one of those frustrating games for me where I know that the price about England is poor (due, as you point out, to the "home" money on England) but I still feel they will get a result. I believe that Rooney will score and I believe that if Israel's game plan goes tits up early on, we may see a couple of England goals. Israel conceded two goals v early v Ireland and then got back in the game - this will not happen if they make the same mistake v England. I think that the Cyprus result v Germany says more about their home form than Germany's away form. Agree that Germany handicap is the call and endorse Cyprus call. France may well find themselves a stronger team now that they are shipping out the dead wood. I think this may be a good handicap bet in favour of the French against a team who are not in their league and against whom they need to win following the Hampden loss. Selection; England -1 AH 2.43 B365 France -1,-1.5 AH 2.05 B365
Germany 0, +0.51.85Bet365

Re: International: UEFA 2008 qualifyers, 24/03

Ireland V Wales As an Irish football supporter can only suggest that the bet here is to back Wales. Staunton (aka Father Dougal Maguire) has brought the Irish team down to the level of San Marino or faroes, both whom they have struggled to beat in recent times. The FAI are a disgrace employing Paul Mersons tea boy to run the national side. Croke Park will not have the same effect as it did for the rugby side. This stadium was built for warriors of Irish sport, this rabble will be lucky to get through the doors. Wales to win and Staunton to be sacked by Sunday for the good of Irish Football!:beer
I got to disagree there, I'm as optimistic as anyone else but when it comes to betting i wont bet my hard earned unless i think there is a good chance of it coming through, regardless if it's my Country or not, and Ireland are not a travelling team, but i think this is a match we must win, it's in Croke Park for the first time in it's history, 85,000 Irish fans, Irish have the return of Kevin Doyle, and the most important return is Shay Given ( Goalie ), possibly one of the best keepers in the world, Ireland have possibly a full strength team out, and i'd be confident backing Ireland ( -1 ) at PaddyPower it's 12/5, a good price, and i'd be confident of keeping a clean sheat with Shay in the goal, and Richard Dunne and McShane at the back, Ireland clean sheet 11/10, and i'll go for Doyle to score first at 9/2, so i have, Ireland ( -1 ) 12/5 Ireland clean sheet 11/10 Kevin Doyle first scorer 9/2 BOL all...

:ok Agreed! Great post Youssef, better than anything we will read in the sports papers today! I particularly agree with your reservations on NI. NI should never be 1-2 away to anyone. Although I hope they win, I think that a team who have held Spain 0-0 are capable of doing the same to NI. England is one of those frustrating games for me where I know that the price about England is poor (due, as you point out, to the "home" money on England) but I still feel they will get a result. I believe that Rooney will score and I believe that if Israel's game plan goes tits up early on, we may see a couple of England goals. Israel conceded two goals v early v Ireland and then got back in the game - this will not happen if they make the same mistake v England. I think that the Cyprus result v Germany says more about their home form than Germany's away form. Agree that Germany handicap is the call and endorse Cyprus call. France may well find themselves a stronger team now that they are shipping out the dead wood. I think this may be a good handicap bet in favour of the French against a team who are not in their league and against whom they need to win following the Hampden loss. Selection; England -1 AH 2.43 B365 France -1,-1.5 AH 2.05 B365
Germany 0, +0.51.85Bet365
Nice write up but you do realise that it's Czech Rep against Germany and not Cyprus don't you? ;) If Germany were playing Cyprus then I would definitely be with you on your bet!! I still think Germnay will get at least a point but will be a hard game to call so I'm avoiding it. As for England beating Israel, I'm not so sure there will be more than a 2 goal margin. Israel know that to beat us they will need to slow the game down. This makes it unlikely that England will get a goal from the off and so will instead likely to have to work hard for their first openings. I think that Lennon will be the main protagonist for England and the first goal could come from his side of the field. I just doubt that if Israel's slow down tactics are to work that they can cope with the pace of Lennon. I would have either 1-1 or 2-1 to England as the final score.

a quick word of warning on the Ukraine game!!! a) there are some disputes with regard to the venue, due to playing conditions b) rebrov and shevchenko WILL NOT be playing so, Ukraine will win, but I'd steer clear or any handicaps and HT/FTs
What does it mean ? Is it problem in pitch or place where they gonna play, or some other problems ?

Re: International: UEFA 2008 qualifyers, 24/03 You can get 5/6 on Serbia, (-1 Handicap). Its a game they cannnot afford to lose if they are to remain amongst the front runners of their group. Forget about their exploits in the last world cup finals, where they were drawn in the toughest group and Vidic was out injured. Getting there I believe they set a new international record of consecutive clean sheets. They are very good defensively and although they will miss Stankovic it will be a good opportunity for the likes of Jankovic to stake their claim for a regular starting place. Their U21 are amongst the top 5 in Eurpoe, so have plenty of youth coming through, (although this has also been the case since the late 80's, without transferring itself to the Natioal side)

Re: International: UEFA 2008 qualifyers, 24/03 Im going with a treble on this one. I think Ireland to win wales England to win Isreal Poland to beat Az Ireland will have a huge crowd behind them & i think this will play a big part. Isreal are a good team but I think the pressure is on England to produce the goods & they have a lot more quality over isreal. Poland must win against a poor side

Norway V Bosnia & Herzegovina Again... I'm suspecting the bookies odds. Why would they ONLY offer -1.25 on Norway when -at least- 10 regulars are refusing to join the Bosnian team? Disregarding the opening game in which Bosnia managed to win 5-2 over Malta away, the following 3 games were not at all ideal for the team. They drew at Moldova (2-2) and lost twice at home to both Hungary (1-3) and Greece (0-4) and a special notice is that Bosnia are not best friends with Greece AND the Greek are not the type of team that usually scores much. So, what's cooking? I'd say! Norway won 4-1 at Hungary, and 2-0 at home over Moldova, then lost by a mere 0-1 in Athens to Greece. The above results alone should point out to a massive Norweigian win over Bosnia. Not less than a 4-0 would be the "normal" outcome. And with 10 players (in other words, an entire team) unavailable it could even be worse for the Balkans! Now do you see my point with the bookies offering no less than evens (up to 2.10+ in some cases) on Norway -1.25? Not even -1.5, but -1.25!!!
Thanks for the great posts! Now, with my weekend completely dependent on a Norway win, tell me...are you saying the match is fixed? What do you think the bookies know that we don't know? Or is it simply that when something looks too good to be true it must, in fact, be too good to be true? I really, really, REALLY hope this one is Norway 3-0 HT so I don't even have to think about the possibility of a fix. BOL with all your bets...

Ditto I think no Crouch is a blessing for England - he's done surprisingly well for England but dictates a certain style. Bottom line is that England have to get something from this and despite constant critiscm in the press they more often than not pull out a result when needed. Rooney is coming into form for United and made BenHaim look like a donkey last week - He's certainly due a performance and the forced absence of Crouch might actually help him here. It won't be pretty but just feel England will squeeze out a win 1-0 or 2-1
What odds would you need to bet on all time score Rooney? Can't say that I am really tempted by the 2,86 @ betfair...

Re: International: UEFA 2008 qualifyers, 24/03 "Spain V Denmark

As if the Spaniards needed more problems, their defence is severely depleted with the absencen of both Puyol & Ramos.

Their enjoyable NOT campaign so far saw them win 4-0 at home over Leichtenstein, then lose twice on the road to N. Ireland (2-3) and Sweden (0-2) respectively.

The Danish enjoyed a similar scoreline against Leichtenstein in their last game (on the road though), while earlier they won 2-0 in Iceland and drw goalless at home to N. Ireland.

This mans the Danish net is still virgin after 3 games, and they are very much capable of scoring goals on the road.

The Danish showed great character in their 4-1 massive win over Australia (friendly) while Spain showed some solidity when they beat England 1-0 (also friendly).

The game certainly spells draw to me more than anything else, and I don't generally believe in Spain on the international scene, so I could be a bit biased."

As a dane myself, I appreciate the kind words ;) I have to agree on you on this one. Of course, Spain is at home and favorit. But as also Michael Laudrup has stated - due to the spanish defence problems Denmark should go for the win. One of my favorit sites has the following %-estimation, which I consider to be quite realistic: Spain - Denmark: 42% 27% 31% So the 6,4 @ Denmark (betfair) represents quite a value for me. With a small stake. However, the danish couch , Morten Olsen has stated that a draw would be suffiecent. So a x2 bet here with 10/10 strenght would probable also be worth it. GL

Re: International: UEFA 2008 qualifyers, 24/03 Scotland hosting Georiga. Home tea with good results till now, beating France at home. Georgia lost 3 and won only with Faroe Island. But lately they improved a bit in friendlies and I'm willing to try a shot on them in this match. Odds are juicy and I believe there isn't so much quality difference here. AW won't be some great surprise, watch out for Georgians... Awaywin, Paddy Power @8.

Nice write up but you do realise that it's Czech Rep against Germany and not Cyprus don't you? ;) If Germany were playing Cyprus then I would definitely be with you on your bet!!
:eyes er,...yes. Not that difficult to work out given that the fixture list is in public domain. If you read the Youssef post, you will see that he mentions Germany's previous poor result in Cyprus ....that's what I was referring to, i.e. the result does not reflect that badly on Germany but is more an endorsement of Cyprus'good home form.

:eyes er' date='...yes. Not that difficult to work out given that the fixture list is in public domain. If you read the Youssef post, you will see that he mentions Germany's previous poor result in Cyprus ....that's what I was referring to, i.e. the result does not reflect that badly on Germany but is more an endorsement of Cyprus'good home form.[/quote'] Ok I still find it hard to believe that Cyprus will get a result but yes there is always that chance with Cyprus home from.

Re: International: UEFA 2008 qualifyers, 24/03 Serbia always have problems playing away with these ex Soviet teams like Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan. I have taken under 2,5 and I am still in the game. It is always better to take under with Serbs playing away, 1,70 stake. Kazakhstan surely is not worth underestimating, they already have 0:0 from Belgium, have a solid defense anyway, they surely arent that low class such as San Marino or Liechtenstein.

Sport Football (Internationals)
Event Israel vs England
Selection England -0.5 (Asian Handicap)
Strength 6/10
Date 24/03/2007
Bookmaker/Price Gamebookers @ 1.82 (Back)
Reasoning England is due a good performance, even though today their opponent will be a tough nut to crack but I believe England should be able to at least win this tightly. With Owen returning to the Three Lions midfield, he will be a massive boost. His appearance will ensure England defensive stability hence Lampard, Gerrard and Lennon can go all out with peace of mind in the back. Moreover, I liked the addition of Andrew Johnson a lot for today match, he will provide more speed to the England team which is good. Even though Ashley Cole and Gary Neville isn't fit which is a big blow, but they still have decent cover in Carragher and P. Neville. They are both two proven international quality defender and I think they should have enough depth to cover England's losses. Israel is not an easy opponent with few quality players all over the park notably Tal Ben Haim, Idan Tal, Ben Sahar, Collauti and Yossi Benayoun. However, Idan Tal and Collauti won't feature and there was doubt over Yossi as well however latest news I heard he will be fit for this clash. All in all, this is a tough match to guess, but I would have to side with England here. McLaren is in the verge of sacking and England as a team with so much quality always fail to gel. I think they will still fail to gel perfectly tonight, however will have enough chemistry to win this. Also, perhaps tie their bond stronger as game by game goes. I'm pretty sure, Israel will give them hell lots of fight and even a possible upset. However, if England team fight their 100% tonight its very hard to not say they will win.

Re: International: UEFA 2008 qualifyers, 24/03 Estonia hsoting Russia. Russia have chance to win important pts tonight and keep their chances for first two positions in the group alive. Hiddink so far did good with their team, and he was always a master to transform nat.teams from bad to good. Estonia is not facing good momentum but anyway they weren't good team never. I think Russia will win today. WIll LAY Estonia +0.5AH, betfair @2.64.

Re: International: UEFA 2008 qualifyers, 24/03 Israel hosting England. It's time for England to finally start winning some games or things for them will become tricky. They already lost in CRO and failed to win with MAcedonia at home, so this game is really must win. Israel lost in last game at home to CRO 3:4, and I don't think they will take something from this game either. I will LAY Israel +0.5AH, betfair @2.19. GL~

Greece vs Turkey Greece -0 a/h against Turkey, 7/10 @ 1.56 betfair Football, 24 March 2007 The Turkish will play with a defensive line-up as the newspaper suggested starting team suggest, although the Greeks will hardly be all out attack, as is only right in such a game. With Charisteas and Samaras, and Gianakopolos behind, Greece can confirm they will as always play a direct game. The Turkish team is hardly the biggest and this will show in the set-pieces whcih Greece will be looking to capitalise on. Naturally, we dont expect many goals, and with a midfield including Aurelio, Sabri and Tincay all but confirmed, we expect Greece to have territorial advantage, couple this with home advantage, and Greece on the handicap are a steal. Enjoy, CAESAR P ps, if this isnt the appropriate thread please move mods, thanks...

Re: England V Isreal We disagree ^^ England to win against Israel, 7/10 @ 1.86 betfair Football, 24 March 2007 Repeatadly in the media England speak of the 'need to win', about the implausability of other results, whilst some like Hargreaves have even spoken about the inferiority of the Israeli team. Now, everyone knows such things, but to openly say this in the media is a strong display of intent and belief. Mcclaren has chosen awkward picks at full back suggesting he chooses to play a narrow defence, which will work well against the raw Toto Tamuz, Touama, Benayoun and Balili. Sahar is too inexperienced to have a major impact, we cannot account for unproven variables, the unexpected always has a chance, but logically, he can be discounted. Therefore, with a midfield that will naturally be outmuscled by the strength of Englands, for all their lack of balance, with Lennon to stretch, Lampard to shoot, Gerrard to drive and Hargreaves to hold, it should just about be enough, whilst Johnson has confidence if not proven ability at this level whilst Rooney has already destroyed Ben Haim a number of times in the EPL. Israels lack of strength in the middle will be displayed on countless times and England might well win this by a couple of goals provided they score early enough. CAESAR P

Estonia vs Russia Russia to win against Estonia, 4/10 @ 1.64 betfair Football, 24 March 2007 There are injuries decimating both squads, and although neither can claim to have the best replacements, the Russians do have slightly more choice. We know that 4 of the defensive 5 of Estonia are out, to be replaced, but Estonia defend from attack backwards. Every player is a defender, just higher up the pitch, Russia with greater forwards and equal defenders means Russia have to be favoured, and the odds are enviable if not attractive. Kerzhakov, Sychev, Arshavin and Saenko, there is more then enough talent to conjure a goal, if not more, even against a tea mof defenders. A full stadium will only highlight the senses for a strong minded Russian team, and tactically, we already place Hiddink above most. With all these aforementioned advantages, coupled with the fact that Russia believe they have a chance of qualification, whilst Estonia are merely making up numbers, mean Russia should prevail. CEASAR P ps, again, mods, if this is the wrong place to put the thread please relocate, thanks...hopefully not though,

Re: International: UEFA 2008 qualifyers, 24/03 this is my first message of in this forum.İ'm from TURKEY and today is very important day for us.there are a lot of trouble between Turkey and Greece and every meeting too important whereever they meet. they have played 7 match so far and greece couldn't win us . we 've won 5 match and 2 match tied. Turkey volkan-hamit altintop,gökhan zan,servet,ibrahim üzülmez-sabri,tugay,mehmet aurelio,tümer metin-tuncay sanlı-hakan şükür. i think greece is too close to win becaue a lot of key players injured in Turkey(yıldıray başturk,halil altintop,nuri sahin,youngstar arda turan,ibrahim toraman,rüstü rençber,).there are no many choises of fatih terim.tugay (37) was called national team for this reason.there is also a goal keeper problem of Turkey.rüştü injured and volkan in a bad form now.he hasn't been playing for fenerbahçe for 3 weeks.and he was protested by their fans.but fatih terim trust him and said he is my first choise despite he is in a bad form. i hope turkey win and make me shy.:D

Re: International: UEFA 2008 qualifyers, 24/03 Norway hosting B&H. Away side playing regulary games with many goals. So far they had these games: With Malta away 5:2, with Hungary at home 1-3, with Moldavia away 2:2 and with Greece at home 0:4. Norway is big favourite today as away team will play in pretty unexperienced squad, cause many regulars from B&H team won't play. So I expect again at least 3 goals here. Pick over 2.5 goals, betdirect @2.04. GL~

this is my first message of in this forum.İ'm from TURKEY and today is very important day for us.there are a lot of trouble between Turkey and Greece and every meeting too important whereever they meet. they have played 7 match so far and greece couldn't win us . we 've won 5 match and 2 match tied. Turkey volkan-hamit altintop,gökhan zan,servet,ibrahim üzülmez-sabri,tugay,mehmet aurelio,tümer metin-tuncay sanlı-hakan şÃ¼kür. i think greece is too close to win becaue a lot of key players injured in Turkey(yıldıray başturk,halil altintop,nuri sahin,youngstar arda turan,ibrahim toraman,rüstü rençber,).there are no many choises of fatih terim.tugay (37) was called national team for this reason.there is also a goal keeper problem of Turkey.rüştü injured and volkan in a bad form now.he hasn't been playing for fenerbahçe for 3 weeks.and he was protested by their fans.but fatih terim trust him and said he is my first choise despite he is in a bad form. i hope turkey win and make me shy.:D
there a number of factors you have not counted for. Today is march 25th, the national day of celebration in Greece when the Greeks started the uprising against the Turks in the 1821. They play the Turkish on the same say as they celebrate independence from the Turks, coincidence, naturally, but, this is as big a game for the Greeks as they have had since euro 2004 final. Then, their is the commercial factor. this isnt Denmark early 90's, this is the global game of 2007, and Uefa will have a massive credibility issue if Greece, the previous winners, are not at the 2008 tournament to protect their trophy. Simply put, CAESAR P can see a Greece victory here, maybe by dubious means, and possibly a Turkish victory in Istanbul, so as to kill Norway from the qualification group. The stadium will be full, the fans volatile, and the players ready and Turkeys defensive set up implies a low scoring game won by the odd Greece goal, probably 1-0 or 2-1. Enjoy, CAESAR P