Sports Personality of the Year

Re: Sports Personality of the Year cheers GazBlades, looks like there is definate mileage in this one, and not so much a fun bet as you might think fellow punters: Taylor was invited to the BBC Midlands annual awards on Sunday 3 December, where he was awarded their Sports Personality of the Year and Sportsman of the Year titles. This was taken from the professional darts players assoc web site - http://www.pdpa.co.uk/news.htm) Professional Darts Corporation Chairman Barry Hearn said: "It's rare that this country produces a sportsman or woman that dominates their chosen sport over such a long period. "The world legend is often overused but in Phil Taylor's case it's entirely appropriate. "I know who will be getting my vote on Sunday and it's time for the ordinary men and women of this country to vote for a real hero." Based on this, Gazblades info and other stuff Ive heard Im definatly having a few quid on this, Ive emailed all the lads that play county darts near me and got a good response they are all betting on it and voting for Phil Taylor. This is all decided by a live vote (by phone/txt) during the show on sunday night starts 7:00pm BBC1 , if you do fancy a flutter on this get your phones on standby. Pass onto as many people as possible and all vote.

Re: Sports Personality of the Year It's interesting and not too dissimilar to the Joe Calzaghe gamble which seems well-organised by the amount of money that's pushed Joe into joint second-favourite with Zara Phillips. Phil Taylor's 25/1 over at William Hill WITHOUT Darren Clarke in the market which isn't to be sniffed at if you think the Phil Taylor gamble can be done.

Re: Sports Personality of the Year Interesting what GazBlades says about the ladbrokes big promotion push for taylor (ladborkes sponser some of the big darts competitions) The thing with Calzaghe is theres another boxer in the list and Im sure Hatton will split a lot of the votes his way. Its hard to explain unless you've played darts and know the county / newer pdpa structures, but the darts comunity is absoloutly massive there are literally millions of players in the UK at all levels and because this is the first time a darts player has even been nominated they are going to vote in their droves.

Re: Sports Personality of the Year Agree with you on the Zara front sensibleboy, that would be a very unpopular winner in my view, the royals and upper tier are no doubt launching a bid for her but as you say theres many jockeys out there that havent even been mentioned - silver spoon and all that. Phil Taylor has got where he is from sheer hard graft and dedication to what he does even if people arent darts fans as such, you've got to acknowledge somebody whose been at the top of their discipline for so long and won thirteen world championships.

Re: Sports Personality of the Year

If Zara Phillips wins this I will lose all credability for all other sports. This would be a joke. Tony McCoy doesnt even get in the top 10 when he should win it by a mile and yet Zara Phillips is near favourite just because of her relations. JOKE.
isnt she the current world champion in her sport? Perhaps that is why she is there? plus she aint bad looking is she! I agree that McCoy should be in top 10 but Racing doesnt get recognised especially as its a BBC poll which puts racing down the pecking order behind Athletics, Rowing & Gymnastics. There are some people i havent heard of cos they represent a minority sport. Even a wheelchair bound athlete was pissed off he didnt make the top 10, so i wonder how mcCoy or even young Ryan Moore feels who won the champion jockey title this year which takes some doing.

Re: Sports Personality of the Year Yeah didnt Frankie only get 3rd the same year he went through the card with a 7timer. There was a big write up in the Saturdays Mirror Racing section for AP, and it also mentioned Power Taylor. I think its down to some bigwigs upstairs who finally gets it and unfortunatly some of the real deserved sportsmen/women get over looked far to easily

Re: Sports Personality of the Year Ryan Moore won the championship yes bowles. Frankie went through a card but got 3rd. I don't care, nothing and I mean NOTHING in the sporting world beats Tony McCoy for sheer determination and graft. He is an 11 time Champion Jockey, year after year. He works harder than any darts, golf player and footy player put together. What alot of people don't realise is, how hard it is to ride a racehorse. I have been there and beleive me when I tell you, it is possibly one of the most hardest things Ive ever done and if you think it only involves pushing then think again. Its absolutely nackaring, beleive me. McCoy has broke all the records there is to break, he is involved in one of the most dangerous sports out and to come back year after year and win those championships avoiding injury and rarely taking no holidays, it takes some doing. People also forget jockeys only get 8% of winnings of each race on top of £150 per ride. So for winning the champion hurdle, McCoy would have got around £11'000. A footy player gets £50'000 for 90mins of footy. Makes me sick.

Ryan Moore won the championship yes bowles. Frankie went through a card but got 3rd. I don't care, nothing and I mean NOTHING in the sporting world beats Tony McCoy for sheer determination and graft. He is an 11 time Champion Jockey, year after year. He works harder than any darts, golf player and footy player put together. What alot of people don't realise is, how hard it is to ride a racehorse. I have been there and beleive me when I tell you, it is possibly one of the most hardest things Ive ever done and if you think it only involves pushing then think again. Its absolutely nackaring, beleive me. McCoy has broke all the records there is to break, he is involved in one of the most dangerous sports out and to come back year after year and win those championships avoiding injury and rarely taking no holidays, it takes some doing. People also forget jockeys only get 8% of winnings of each race on top of £150 per ride. So for winning the champion hurdle, McCoy would have got around £11'000. A footy player gets £50'000 for 90mins of footy. Makes me sick.
:clap:clap:clap Didn't know you rode mate:unsure.

If Zara Phillips wins this I will lose all credability for all other sports. This would be a joke. Tony McCoy doesnt even get in the top 10 when he should win it by a mile and yet Zara Phillips is near favourite just because of her relations. JOKE.
And David Walliams (sp?) wins an award:eek ......that famous sportsman:lol However, :notworthy to Paul Hunter.....well deserved:ok

I agree mate. What a joke, its all English English English. Was there any mention of the Scotland football team throughout the program beating the WC runners up??? Joke as usual.
You won one game, hardly cause for a special feature on the program. Unless Linekers link involved something along the lines of 'and now a piece for scotland, who stopped being rubbish and managed a win' Phillips winning it is a joke though. Are the votes verified by an independant ajudicator?

I agree mate. What a joke, its all English English English. Was there any mention of the Scotland football team throughout the program beating the WC runners up??? Joke as usual.
BBC sport rules equestrian Golf Gymnastics are all BBC sports beat the likes of boxing tennis motor racing which are predominately ITV or Sky Biaised is not the word although i think you will find SB that Darren Clarke is Irish. Beating France in one game perhaps is worthy of a mention but Wally Smith was up for Coach of the year which was deservedly won by St Helens.

Fcuking amazing:@ The horse racing round up lasts a grand total of................ ..............49 seconds:@ :@ :@ What a fcukin farce! No mention of young Ryan Moore either.
Unfortunately, the stars of racing are those with 4 legs, the trainers who get them there & jocks who risk life & limb every day are not considered for this type of thing. Some bloke puts on a shiny top, & throws 3 darts, the most sporting thing about that is the 6 yards from the oche to the board & back again. Determination, dedication etc & ablove all being a winner is what should win the award, Zara falls into that category but i cannot believe a sport such as equestrian has won this. I know Darren was adamant he didnt want the award & great timing by the News of the World to have a front page spread on his new bird, nicely timed to affect the vote on the night. ;)

You won one game' date=' hardly cause for a special feature on the program. Unless Linekers link involved something along the lines of 'and now a piece for scotland, who stopped being rubbish and managed a win'[/quote'] We have never been rubbish since Smith took over mate. We won one game, is that why we are top of one of the toughest groups in the comp? Of course it shouldnt get a mention. Talk about Englans WC win 40 years ago instead, eh? :ok :rollin

We have never been rubbish since Smith took over mate. We won one game, is that why we are top of one of the toughest groups in the comp? Of course it shouldnt get a mention. Talk about Englans WC win 40 years ago instead, eh? :ok :rollin
how many major tournaments is that you have qualified for now SB?? ......might take a bit of time to count them especially the recent ones ! scots still cant get over us winning the thing, we never brought it up, YOU DID!!:clap

Re: Sports Personality of the Year I realise this is a late post, but what a carve up that was. Can anyone honestly say that that was not a major fix-Zara Phillips, competing in a sport with about as much folowing as pocket billiards, walks away with the BBC sports personallity of the year and the exchange layers hoover up. Personality?, I dont think so, can she down a pint of Guiness in three seconds?, can she sink a putt to win the Ryder Cup, whilst drawing on an 18 inch Cuban cigar?, can she pull some fit blonde within weeks of a a family bereavment?-I dont think so! Clarke is 4/11 for the Irish version this weekend, thats the real bet.:beer