PDC World Darts Championship

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: PDC World Darts Championship Hmmm. If the draw's set up like that I can see two Dutchies and two Stokies in the semi-finals (van Barneveld vs Scholten and Taylor vs Hamilton respectively) at this ridiculously early ante-post stage. I'd suspect that those prices on Terry Jenkins and Dennis Priestley will be nibbled at even though they're in Phil Taylor's half of the draw! :lol Should be a cracker of a second round match if Lloyd and van Barneveld get through. Could be Lewis vs Scholten and Lloyd/van Barneveld vs Mardle in the quarter finals. The fourth quarter's interesting in that there really isn't that much between 'em. OT: Darts player fails drugs test! HUH!? :loon Robbie Green tests positive for cannabis Statement from the DRA

Re: PDC World Darts Championship Hmmm. The full draw's out in public view now: http://www.planetdarts.tv/page/WorldChampsDetail/0,,10180~937213,00.html Just a quick glance over, I can see a few tricky matches that don't necessarily look that straight-forward: * Wayne Mardle (8) v Alan Caves * Denis Ovens (9) v Steve Smith * Alan Warriner-Little (24) v Alan Tabern * Alex Roy (29) v Richie Burnett (Wal) * Kevin Painter (13) v Colin Osborne * Matt Clark (31) v Mick McGowan (Ire) * Colin Monk (30) v Per Laursen (Den) * Mark Dudbridge (14) v John Kucynski (USA) * Andy Hamilton (19) v Gary Welding ...only my opinion and I may be overestimating the underdog potential here.

Re: PDC World Darts Championship Ok im going to predict the last 16 games - apart from one or two im pretty confident this will be the last 16 so it gives us a good chance to get some opinions. Barney v Bates Barney has done better than i ever thought he would since coming over and i think he wins this one but only after a battle. I watched him play Barrie in Irvine a few weeks ago and it was comfortable but Bates can certainly play and has recently gone full time so you just never know. Mardle v Warriner Ive just got a sneaky feeling that Warriner is coming back to a bit of form. His results have definetly been improving and he could easily have done Barney in Ireland. Warriner also reached the quarters here last year before getting humped 5-0 by a red hot Mardle. Who knows what Wayne will turn up and he certainly loves the Circus Tavern but he'll be ridiculously short for this match if it happens and ill be staying clear. Lewis v Andy Smith Andy Smith is a far better player than he gets credit for but he reached the 3rd round last year and i just dont think he can get any further. Not because Lewis is vastly better but because of his weight. The Circus Tavern will be sweltering and looked what happened to Fordham in the PPV match v Taylor. Andy always gets 2 or 3 rounds and until he loses a few lbs he wont win matches like this against class players. Scholten v Painter Another difficult one to call this. Ive got a sneaky feeling the Artist is also gonna pick back up again.The Tripod is a class act but this isnt his favourite venue and this one goes close. If this match goes ahead Roland will be too short i reckon and all the value with Painter. Taylor v Mason/Part One of the few games that im not sure who will be in it! Taylor will come up against Mick McGowan in round two and a word of warning for those thinking that one will be a walkover - it wont. Mick can play alright. Only a few weeks ago i watched him average 124 in beating Mason 5-0. In fact ive seen him do that quite a few times but never on TV. He can definetly get a set though. Anyway if its Mason - who knows?? He does raise his game when he plays in a big profile game though but it will probably end in glorious failure as usual. And if its Part - you wouldnt think so on current form but hes one of the few guys that can beat Taylor and has done many times. Manley v Baxter Two really good friends and this will be a belter. Ronnies been playing brilliantly in the floor tournaments and if only he could take that into this match he can win but ill be on Manley. He knows how to win games like this and he likes the Circus Tavern. Although they are good friends One Dart knows how to get at Ronnie and although he'll always be smiling on stage, Ronnie wont be inside. I just worry about Ronnies ability to finish games like this off in the big tournaments. Terry Jenkins v Wade Obviously Jenkins in the man of the moment just now but hes going to face one of the possible future big names in James Wade. Ok he surrendered pretty tamely to Priestley in Ireland but this format suits him better and he will really want to make up for going our in the 1st round to Wayne Jones last year. Wades been full time for a wee while now and i think Jenkins will suffer a reaction to his performance in Ireland. Priestley v Hamilton I really wish this game was a round or 2 later as its could well be the match of the tournament. Priestley whos been in awesome form for some time now and Andy Hamilton who for me is the next big thing in darts. I dont think it will be long until Andy Hamilton is up there with Taylor and Barney and i really mean that - hopefully we see things close in the betting as i have to be on the Hammer for serious cash here. SO hopefully i wont look too daft and most of these will be the right games. I really am counting the days till this starts as it looks like being awesome this year and as always when the darts is on will be looking to make some nice profit. Be good to hear some more thoughts . . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Re: PDC World Darts Championship I agree with you Gaz regarding Mick McGowan, if he can produce the form of recent months on the floor tourmanents and bring that to the TV then he could even shock the great Taylor. Definately worth a few £ of anyone's money at such a big price.

Re: PDC World Darts Championship First day's set of matches plus match times (prices from Ladbrokes): 1/6 Ronnie Baxter vs Adrian Gray 7/2 13:05 1/6 Steve Maish vs Wynand Havenga 7/2 14:00 1/8 Terry Jenkins vs Mark Lawrence 9/2 15:00 2/7 Mick McGowan vs Matt Clark 5/2 16:00 2/9 Chris Mason vs Wayne Atwood 3/1 19:05 1/6 John Part vs Alan Green 7/2 20:00 1/200 Phil Taylor vs Anton Pein 20/1 21:00 1/9 Peter Manley vs Dave Jowett 5/1 22:00 Seems pretty straight-forward for all the favourites but if there's one that's a coupon buster then I think it could easily be John Part. Chris Mason if he beats himself up over nothing in particular would be my next suggestion. A first to three sets format means we could have a few shocks on our hands like last year but I suppose they're always going to happen in any tournament of any sport.

Re: PDC World Darts Championship 3 outrights for me. Gaz, BA and Meatman will vouch for me that I backed Smith pre draw at 300/1 but 200s is the best you'll find now. I still think that's value. The other 2 are the same price I backed them at earlier in the week :ok

2pts ew W.Mardle to win World Championship 50/1 VC

I don't think it's an exageration by saying that this is almost last chance saloon for Wayne Mardle and his career at the upper levels of the sport. This World Championship is massive for his career. Without a very good championship the Premier League passes him by in 07. Being 1 of the 8 in the Premier League is massive for anyone's career, not just the prize money but the regular competition and exposure it brings.

One thing on Mardle's side though is the way his game automatically raises at the Circus Tavern, few will forget his semi final against Taylor last year where he had the great one beaten only to fail to finish the job. That's the kind of darts he can produce at this venue. Another advantage for Mardle is he's in the opposite half of the draw to Taylor.

Mardle's a big time player who raises his game here. He'll have to though after a poor season by his standards on the TV circuit. With a bit of luck in the draw I think Mardle will go close to this title.

1pt ew T.Jenkins to win World Championship 80/1 VC

I'm siding with one of the guys who has served me well in 2006 here. Terry Jenkins was excellent in the last TV tournament, making the final and pushing Taylor a lot closer than most thought he could. That can only help him coming into this championship. He's got his Premier League place sewn up so there's no extra pressure and he can concentrate on his tilt for glory.

He's in Taylor's half of the draw but isn't due to meet Taylor until the semi final. That's if Taylor makes it that far which isn't set in stone. Jenkins doesn't have it easy getting there either, there's every chance he'll need to go through Wade, Hamilton and Priestley to make to semi's but when he's on form he's one of the best players around now.

He showed he can mix it with Taylor in Dublin and after such a good run in Dublin, I'm amazed he's 80/1 here to be honest. He'll have to play well to come through his draw but you know you'll have to do that at the World Championships. Tucker is overpriced and we'll have some of it.

1pt A.Smith to win the World Championship 200/1 Stan James

Andy Smith is an unknown to many but everyone in the darts world know he's a good player. He showed he's a good player by topping the Budweiser Order of Merit last year which is a separate ranking list based solely on the 8 UK Open qualifiers. He was top of that by virtue of winning 2 of them so he can play.

I think it takes a while to adjust to TV darts but the Pieman has shown glimpses of being comfortable on the TV stage now. He made the 3rd round here last year and made the quarter finals in Dublin, so he's gaining more experience on the stage.

He's not in Taylor's half of the draw here and is in the wide open 2nd quarter of the draw. If he arrives in Purfleet with his good game he can take some of the big names out and go through the field. 200/1 is a nice price and one I'm happy to take.

Re: PDC World Darts Championship well i reckon that manley is a decent E/W bet now. i don't like the man but you have to respect his ability he has been here before he has had some real battles in this tournament, ( Lewis, last year) and other years against Anderson and John Lowe and so i reckon 80s is very over priced for him deffo worth a couple of quid. Priestley, yet again a seasoned pro and with the exeption of Andy Hamilton has probably been the most improved player this year, again i reckon the menace is over priced, yes he is in Taylors half, as is Manley but he is not due to meet him till the semis, by that time he will be settled in and in his rythym and most imprtantly he is one of the three players who know they are fit for the power ( others being Barney and Part). In the top half i quite like the look of Andy Jenkins. 125-1. a really good player when on form is blistering in Vegas he averaged over 100 and still got beat 3-0 by Taylor, if he can reproduce that figures only Barney in the top half can live with him.

Re: PDC World Darts Championship Monday's a tricky day of darts, certainly in terms of picking winners but there will be a shock in those 8 matches and at least 1 of these seeds will disappear during the day I'm sure of it. Clark will go but I fancy 1 of the heavy favourites to go. Not sure who though! Therefore I'm going to take on the 2 whose TV form and temperament is dodgy. Maish is hit and miss and could well go out but nobody knows the South African so he could be anything really. Instead I'll go with 2 guys who I know have a game in them. 5pts A.Gray to beat R.Baxter 5/1 Premierbet Ronnie Baxter hasn't had a particularly good time of it on TV in 2006, it all started when American Ray Carver knocked him out here last year. That to me means he's fallable in these early rounds. Adrian Gray is no mug. He's inexperienced to the TV audience and TV stage but he can throw a dart. He hits his scores nicely but the acid test comes on the doubles. If he can nail a couple early he'll give Baxter a game. Baxter rarely hits his doubles all the time straight away so if Gray scores well he'll get his chances. This match is the 1st match on which I don't think suits Baxter either and at a big price I'll take a chance Gray can cause an upset here. 5pts W.Atwood to beat C.Mason 7/2 Blue Square Chris Mason is a frustrating character. He can be a world beater 1 minute and beating himself up the next. Truth is you can never truly rely on Mason. Wayne Atwood is a solid player without being anything special. If Mason does crack up then Atwood does have the quality to step in. This is only a best of 5 set match so a good start for Atwood, particularly if it involves Mason missing doubles could see Mason get annoyed with himself and beat himself. 7/2's a fair price under the circumstances.

Re: PDC World Darts Championship

5pts A.Gray to beat R.Baxter 5/1 Premierbet Ronnie Baxter hasn't had a particularly good time of it on TV in 2006, it all started when American Ray Carver knocked him out here last year. That to me means he's fallable in these early rounds. Adrian Gray is no mug. He's inexperienced to the TV audience and TV stage but he can throw a dart. He hits his scores nicely but the acid test comes on the doubles. If he can nail a couple early he'll give Baxter a game. Baxter rarely hits his doubles all the time straight away so if Gray scores well he'll get his chances. This match is the 1st match on which I don't think suits Baxter either and at a big price I'll take a chance Gray can cause an upset here.
That'll do for starters :dude

Re: PDC World Darts Championship 3 for me for Tuesday. 10pts R.Vonck to beat M.Walsh 1.87 Expekt Mark Walsh is 1st up against Dutch wildcard Rico Vonck. I don't know a great deal about the dutch guy but from what we've seen of Mark Walsh in 2006 he won't need to be a world beater to see Walsh off. Vonck is 2nd in the dutch rankings, and van Gerwen at no1 isn't bad. The dutch is a hotbed for darts talent so this guy must be able to play a bit. Mark Walsh has had a disastrous 2006, struggling big time in every match. Aldo McCracken was nothing special but he still beat Walsh in Dublin and Vonck has every chance here. 10pts D.Webster +1.5 sets to beat B.Anderson 11/10 Ladbrokes Darren Webster is capable of playing darts, he's had a few good results on the circuit in the last couple of years. Bob Anderson is a good player still but I see this being close. If nerves don't get to Webster then he'll be a major runner in this match. Anderson is still up there at the highest level but his game can go through indifferent patches where he won't hit many trebles and mis some doubles. When that happens Webster needs to step in. We're looking at Webster needing 2 sets here. I think this will be a close match, we've already seen 3 3-2's in the tournament on day 1 and this could well be another. 10pts A.Warriner-Little to beat A.Tabern 10/11 Premierbet This one has the makings of a great match. Both these players know which end of a dart to throw. Tabern won his 1st round match here last year before Mark Dudbridge was too good for him. Warriner has been here many times. The Ice Man has been out of form for quite a while on the TV stage but recent tournaments have shown signs that the Wozza of old could be returning soon. On his day he can be a very good darts player and he should be on his game in this of all events. Tabern can play darts too, he made the semis in Bolton this year and has a couple of other good results on the circuit behind him but Warriner is experienced on this stage and I think he'll have just too much for him.

Re: PDC World Darts Championship Second day's set of matches plus match times (prices from Ladbrokes): 5/6 Mark Walsh vs Rico Vonck 5/6 13:05 1/12 Barrie Bates vs Brian Cyr 6/1 14:00 1/3 Bob Anderson vs Darren Webster 9/4 15:00 8/15 Denis Ovens vs Steve Smith 11/8 16:00 5/6 Alan Warriner-Little vs Alan Tabern 5/6 19:05 1/12 Colin Lloyd vs Tomas Seyler 6/1 20:00 1/50 Raymond van Barneveld vs Mitchell Clegg 10/1 21:00 1/10 Adrian Lewis vs Anthony Fleet 11/2 22.00 Anderson, Ovens, Walsh and Warriner are beatable. I suppose one or more of them will make a good fist of it but lose 3-2 like Baxter and Maish...no idea who know. :$ Ladbrokes offer a 'special price' of 10/3 that Walsh, Bates, Anderson and Ovens will win their matches. They offer 5/4 that Warriner, Lloyd, van Barneveld and Lewis win their matches.

10pts R.Vonck to beat M.Walsh 1.87 Expekt Mark Walsh is 1st up against Dutch wildcard Rico Vonck. I don't know a great deal about the dutch guy but from what we've seen of Mark Walsh in 2006 he won't need to be a world beater to see Walsh off. Vonck is 2nd in the dutch rankings, and van Gerwen at no1 isn't bad. The dutch is a hotbed for darts talent so this guy must be able to play a bit. Mark Walsh has had a disastrous 2006, struggling big time in every match. Aldo McCracken was nothing special but he still beat Walsh in Dublin and Vonck has every chance here. 10pts D.Webster +1.5 sets to beat B.Anderson 11/10 Ladbrokes Darren Webster is capable of playing darts, he's had a few good results on the circuit in the last couple of years. Bob Anderson is a good player still but I see this being close. If nerves don't get to Webster then he'll be a major runner in this match. Anderson is still up there at the highest level but his game can go through indifferent patches where he won't hit many trebles and mis some doubles. When that happens Webster needs to step in. We're looking at Webster needing 2 sets here. I think this will be a close match, we've already seen 3 3-2's in the tournament on day 1 and this could well be another.
2 from 2 this afternoon :ok

Re: PDC World Darts Championship I have been waiting a long long time for tomorrow night - Steve Beaton v Gerry Convery. I cant stress how strongly i fancy Beaton in this match. Convery is one of the worst players i have ever seen at a floor tournament or on TV. Last year Convery played Warriner who was wofeully out of form at the time and Warriner only conceded 1 leg - i cant remember exactly but i think Converys average was in the late 60s. 1.4 on betfair is an awesome price but ill also be lumping on Laddies -1.5 sets at 8/11. I probably will have to have some small cash on 3-0 as well but theres no point being too greedy as The Adonis will win this match whatever happens.

Very nice tipping Kev well done
Cheers mate. Could've done with a better performance from Wozza but missing them D18's in the 2nd leg ended him as a force.
I have been waiting a long long time for tomorrow night - Steve Beaton v Gerry Convery. I cant stress how strongly i fancy Beaton in this match. Convery is one of the worst players i have ever seen at a floor tournament or on TV. Last year Convery played Warriner who was wofeully out of form at the time and Warriner only conceded 1 leg - i cant remember exactly but i think Converys average was in the late 60s. 1.4 on betfair is an awesome price but ill also be lumping on Laddies -1.5 sets at 8/11. I probably will have to have some small cash on 3-0 as well but theres no point being too greedy as The Adonis will win this match whatever happens.
Nah, I can't have that. I can't have that at all actually. There's so much missing there. Sure you are right, Convery's match with Wozza was not a good performance. He averaged 78.97. I'll grant you that's not good at this level but it's not late 60's either. What you haven't stated is that he beat Dave Askew convincingly the round before that with a solid if nothing special 83.37 average. The year before that he won 2 matches here before losing to John Part with an 87 average so I can't have the "1 of the worst players I've ever seen on or off TV" line. You say Wozza was out of form, maybe, he still made the quarters though. Have you checked Beaton's progress last year? He was no better, only unlike Convery he didn't win a match. He lost 3-0 to Jan van der Rassel, in fact he hasn't won a match here since 2004 when he beat Jamie Harvey. I've even checked the recent form of Beaton. 2 last 16's on the circuit since the World Grand Prix. That's not pulling any trees up is it? Convery made the semis in the Montreal Open earlier in the year. I think Beaton is one of the worst value bets of this round if I'm honest.

Re: PDC World Darts Championship 4 for me for Wednesday. 10pts L.Sams -1.5 sets to beat D.Ladley Evs Ladbrokes I think we've got a good price here on the Lion to win this 3-0 or 3-1. Sams hasn't been overly impressive on the box in his career but he did do a job on Part coming from a set down to send John Part out of the World Grand Prix recently. That deserves some respect. Dave Ladley came through a good qualifying group, beating Dale Newton, Keith Deller and Robbie Green but you have to look a long way down the order of merit to see him listed. 206th in fact. Ok he's only played 5 events but that in itself says a long for me. He's not much further up the official rankings list either. He's sure to be nervous on his 1st run out at the Tavern and Sams is experienced enough to step in. I saw Lionel Sams in an exhibition no more than 3 weeks ago and he looked good. He's been practicing with the 2 Aussies - Fleet and Clegg and he has course and distance form here. In 2004 he sent Scholten packing in the last 32 so he knows the Tavern. He'll win this and should do it easily enough to bring the bacon home for us. 10pts P.Laursen to beat C.Monk Evs Blue Square Here's a battle of 2 former BDO guys. Per Laursen announced himself on the darts scene winning a tournament last year and sending Tony Eccles packing from the lakeside last year. Colin Monk was a consistent performer on the BDO circuit but has failed in the main to reproduce that in the PDC, especially in the TV events where a couple of UK Open runs to the last 8 is all he can boast. Undoubtedly the Monkee can play darts but he has such a weird throwing technique that I'm not convinced can hold up under pressure. Laursen's more of a simple thrower and he's consistent. He's got no ranking points to worry about so is free to play darts and I think he'll turn over the Hampshire man here. 10pts G.Convery to beat S.Beaton 9/4 Ladbrokes In theory this could be a tough match to call but when you study it the value jumps out at you. That value is with the Canadian. Convery has been coming over to Purfleet for this championships for a few years now and he showed in 2005 he can play a bit when he won 2 matches before losing to compatriot John Part. Steve Beaton doesn't have a great record here, he's not won since 2004 when he beat Jamie Harvey here. He's a better player than that record suggests but somewhere along the line Beaton and the Circus Tavern don't mix. Convery is the leading guy on the Canadian circuit and made the semi finals of the Montreal Open earlier in the year - that's a PDC event. Since the Grand Prix, Beaton has 2 last 16's to his name in an indifferent spell of form and that's enough for me to take Convery here. 10pts J.Schenk +2.5 sets to beat D.Priestley Evs Ladbrokes On paper this looks a stroll in the park for the Menace. That's not so though. His opponent has Tavern pedigree as Peter Manley can testify. He fell foul of Schenk's ability on his run to the last 16 in 2005. Priestley's had a superb year on the PDC circuit. For me in terms of improvement, durability, performances and results in terms of ranking improvement Dennis is the player of the year on the PDC circuit. He's won a couple of titles and taken Taylor close on a couple of occasions. Schenk's finished 3rd on the Dutch Darts Federation rankings behind Michael van Gerwen who'll need no introduction to any darts fan and Rico Vonck who impressed yesterday. Holland's a hotbed of darts right now so this guy is sure to be good enough to take a set here. Priestley should win this but let's not forget it's a 1st round match. We've seen a few seeds go out in this round already this week and a couple of others struggle. I fancy Schenk strongly to make this trickier for the menace than he'd want it to be by getting at least a set.

Re: PDC World Darts Championship The layers must be loving this more than they did last year...for one thing, I didnt know Mark Walsh had 'dartitis'. :eek Third day's set of matches plus match times (prices from Ladbrokes): 1/7 Wayne Jones vs Ian Branks 4/1 13:05 4/11 Lionel Sams vs Dave Ladley 2/1 14:00 5/6 Colin Monk vs Per Laursen 5/6 15:00 1/4 Andy Hamilton vs Gary Welding 11/4 16:00 1/3 Steve Beaton vs Gerry Convery 9/4 19:05 1/8 Dennis Priestley vs Josephus Schenk 9/2 20:00 1/6 Wayne Mardle vs Alan Caves 7/2 21:00 1/16 James Wade vs Warren French 7/1 22:00 Jones, Sams, Monk and Hamilton all to win? 11/4. :eyes Beaton, Priestley, Mardle and Wade all to win? 10/11. :eek kev's highlighted most if not all the outsiders above who could cause trouble...should Wayne Jones and James Wade be 7/1 and 16/1 ON respectively though!? :\ I personally hate betting on Lionel Sams...he wins when I want him to lose and loses when I want him to win. Mardle could 'struggle' but then surge. No bets for me though. The layers will have a fun day today but will it be profitable?