PDC World Darts Championship

Re: PDC World Darts Championship I appreciate your points of view guys but i have never been more confident about a bet in my entire life and the 3 sets and 9 legs to nil scoreline honestly didnt surprise me one bit. My only hope is that Gerry qualifies for one more TV tournament so i can cash in once more!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: PDC World Darts Championship

I have been waiting a long long time for tomorrow night - Steve Beaton v Gerry Convery. I cant stress how strongly i fancy Beaton in this match. Convery is one of the worst players i have ever seen at a floor tournament or on TV. Last year Convery played Warriner who was wofeully out of form at the time and Warriner only conceded 1 leg - i cant remember exactly but i think Converys average was in the late 60s. 1.4 on betfair is an awesome price but ill also be lumping on Laddies -1.5 sets at 8/11. I probably will have to have some small cash on 3-0 as well but theres no point being too greedy as The Adonis will win this match whatever happens.
Ok Ok, Now i need to say thank you for grapes on this. This was a nice winner for me. The reason i followed this pick is because i thought it was Gaz who posted it :lol . No disrespect to you grapes but gaz has been on this forum a long time and i follow him on darts. Great pick none the less :lol

Re: PDC World Darts Championship I have been looking at this thread and following some winners. Some good informations as always from Kevshat and Gazblades. Wednedsay was not a good day, but Thursday can be, I look for suggestions. Well done on the 1.40 tip Grapes, but those odds are too short for me personally, and prefer to bet at bigger odds :dude :dude

Re: PDC World Darts Championship 3 for me. Going with Gaz on the 1st one. Crazy odds really. 10pts J.Kuczynski to beat M.Dudbridge 11/8 Ladbrokes I like the odds on the American here, he's shown darts fans that he can play the game on a few occasions now, the 1st of those occasions coming here 12 months ago when he made the quarter finals here. He then beat John Part at the World Series of Darts earlier in the year to further confirm not only can he play darts but that he's no believer in reputations. Mark Dudbridge has had an awful trot for the last 2 years. He made the final here in 2005 but has barely won a match on TV since and he certainly wouldn't have wanted this 1st round draw. On his day, Flash can be briliance as we all saw at both the World Matchplay of 2004 and the World final of 05, and the Winmau before that. When the draw was made this match jumped out with potential shock written all over it. 'Johnny K' comes here under no pressure and Dudbridge will have to be near his best to see off the plucky American over this short course here. 10pts C.Osbourne to beat K.Painter 11/8 Premierbet The PDC has many up and coming stars shooting up the rankings. Derby's Colin Osbourne is among them. He 1st shot to prominence in 2005's UK Open where he made the quarter final's before Roland Scholten was too good for him and then came good again earlier in the year when he won the Sheppey Classic beating Alex Roy in the final and Terry Jenkins along the way. Kevin Painter won a regional heat of the UK Open qualifiers in the 1st week of 2006 but it's been another quiet year by The Artist's standards. Nobody will forget his final here 3 years ago but when it would have been fair to expect his career to take off from there, it's only stalled. He's capable of going a long way in any darts tournament but he's had a few injuries in the last 2 years. He's not been the same player here and with a good start, Osbourne will know Painter's there for the taking. 10pts A.Roy to beat R.Burnett 4/5 Premierbet Alex Roy has shown signs of knuckling down and producing a good level of darts in 2006, he's done well for himself on the circuit over the last 2 years, accumulating over £30,000 in prize money. Richie Burnett, a former world champion, has been off our screens for a while as he's slipped down the rankings. Undoubtedly the Prince of Wales has a game but it's not been there for a while. If some of the old Richie Burnett turns up here then Roy will have his hands full but that's unlikely to happen and while Burnett won't been seen off easily, seen off he will be.

Re: PDC World Darts Championship Fourth day's set of matches plus match times (prices from Ladbrokes): 2/5 Dave Askew vs Martin Burchell 7/4 13:05 1/25 Andy Smith vs Shi Yongsheng 8/1 14:00 1/50 Wesley Newton vs Tetsuya Wada 10/1 15:00 1/6 Andy Jenkins vs Bill Davis 7/2 16:00 8/15 Mark Dudbridge vs John Kuczynski 11/8 19:05 1/25 Roland Scholten vs Ron Miller 8/1 20:00 8/15 Kevin Painter vs Colin Osborne 11/8 21:00 8/13 Alex Roy vs Richie Burnett 6/5 22:00 D Askew, A Smith, W Newton and A Jenkins all to win? 4/5 M Dudbridge, R Scholten, K Painter and A Roy all to win? 3/1 Nothing much more to add to what kev's said really but I'm wondering if Martin Burchell can beat Dave Askew?

Re: PDC World Darts Championship Going to add one for tonight. 10pts Osbourne/Painter Over 3.5 180's 5/6 Ladbrokes The total here is way too low IMO. This is going to be a close match, certainly 4 sets if not the 5. Both Osbourne and Painter can hit 180's and hit them for fun when they get going. Osbourne's hit a 9 darter on the circuit this year and we all know when Painter's in form just what he can do. Assuming it does go 4 sets and beyond like I'm almost certain it will then an average of 1 maximum a set isn't too much to ask. This total is asking to be covered and I think these 2 will oblige.

When did these pop up!? Mark Dudbridge vs John Kuczynski UNDER 5.5 180's @ Evens (Ladbrokes) I've already said that I can't see Dudbridge winning more than a set, so this shouldn't go past 4 sets. Dudbridge isn't on form, and I seem to remember Kuczynski not being a prolific maximum scorer (I hope I'm not imagining it!) Kevin Painter vs Colin Osbourne OVER 3.5 180's @ 5/6 (Stan James) I agree with Kev here. This should be a belter that could go all the way. 4 should be no problem for them (in my match with Painter about 6 weeks ago we managed 7 :dude )
No idea but I've been waiting for them as there was a few matches that looked like they could have gone the distance that I'd have been on. Good luck for tonight mate.

Re: PDC World Darts Championship Fifth day's set of matches, 3-dart averages of previous match plus match times (prices from Ladbrokes). Second round (first to four sets): 8/11 Rico Vonck (87.15) vs Brian Cyr (86.86) evens 12:10 1/8 Adrian Lewis (92.65) vs Wayne Jones (81.48) 9/2 14:00 2/5 Terry Jenkins (88.75) vs Steve Beaton (90.18) 7/4 15:30 1/8 Peter Manley (79.88) vs Wynand Havenga (79.30) 9/2 18:10 5/6 Chris Mason (94.96) vs John Part (86.56) 5/6 19:45 1/4 Raymond van Barneveld (88.99) vs Colin Lloyd (90.59) 11/4 21:15 8/11 (91.13) Adrian Gray vs Darren Webster (88.28) evens 22:45 R Vonck, A Lewis and T Jenkins all to win? 7/4 P Manley, C Mason, R van Barneveld and A Gray all to win? 5/1 Trying to figure out who tha banana skins could be. :\ * Vonck vs Cyr will be interesting. Vonck's finishing in a few legs has been sensational, Cyr has been efficient and done what he's had to and survived a Bates comeback. The odds look about right. Vonck should win but Cyr will grind away at him. * Easy to be fooled by Beaton's 3-dart average when there wasn't much resistance from Convery. Jenkins wasn't particularly impressive in his first round match. An interesting statistic is that neither Jenkins nor Beaton threw a 180 in their first round match! :eek ...could be a shock result here. * I'm thinking of laying the 4-0 Manley win (5/2 at Ladbrokes). I've gotten it into my head that Havenga's gonna win a set or two...class and experience should prevail though and Manley should sail into the third round (even if he didn't throw a 180 and was on cruise control against Dave Jowett. Look at that 3-dart average! It's scarily low! Manley ain't 1/8 based on that! :eek). * Very surprised that the layers can't separate Mason and Part and I'm thinking they've got their previous head-to-heads on their minds. Mason should be favourite in my eyes this time around. Mason's 180s will counter Part's high finishing. * How much does Lloyd want it!? Both did what they had to do and nothing outstanding in their first round matches. The Premier League Darts matches are kind of telling (8-4 and 8-6 wins to RvB) but a first to 4 sets match is a different kettle of fish entirely. One would expect RvB to win a tightly fought contest but I'm not backing it and certainly not at odds of 1/4. ...should be a helluva match to watch though. * Can't call it between Gray and Webster. It'll be one of those matches when you're watching it and you're wondering "D'OH!! Why didn't I back that fella!?". I know I will be! :lol I'm betting on Vonck, Lewis and Mason in a win treble.

Re: PDC World Darts Championship I'll stick the boat out a bit. 5 for me. 10pts B.Cyr to beat R.Vonck 11/10 Premierbet Brian Cyr was fairly impressive in his 1st round match with Barrie Bates. His average was late 86's which in a 5 set match isn't too bad at all. He scored well and finished well too. What impressed most about the Canadian though was how he handled the pressure when Bates came back to 2-2 from 2-0 down. Cyr didn't let that bother him and the 2 bullseye finishes in the final set under the circumstances were excellent. Vonck played well in his 1st round match in difficult circumstances against the struggling Mark Walsh. it's always tough to play someone who isn't pushing you but he stuck to his game well and produced some high class checkouts. His 87.15 average was a good start for the young Dutch player. I just feel if this one gets close as it's every right to do that Cyr's experience in terms of age and in terms of how he handled the pressure in his 1st round match will stand him in good stead. I'm with the Canadian here. 10pts P.Manley -2.5 sets to beat W.Havenga 5/6 Ladbrokes These 2 are in a different world to each other in terms of ability. Havenga did well to beat Steve Maish on Monday but he faces a much different kettle of fish here. The South African looked like he enjoyed himself and to his credit he hit 5 180's. He only averaged 79.30 though so consistency is a problem. Manley was runner up here last year, by his own admission he was awful in his 1st round match but Dave Jowett never pushed him. Manley was on cruise control. He'll up his game here though, he knows he has to and he'll blow this South African away. The reality is however you dress it up Havenga isn't going to get 2 sets here so I'm all over Manley on this handicap. 10pts J.Part to beat C.Mason 10/11 Hills This is sure to be a classic, arguably the match of the round. The 2 met last year at the same stage and Part won an thriller in a deciding set. Chris Mason was very impressive in his 1st round match with Wayne Atwood. 8 180's and a 94.95 average made his performance easily the best of round 1. However we know Chris Mason always flatters to decieve. Practicing with Andy Hamilton could have changed that but Part won't lie down easily. John Part, champion here in 2003 is a gritty, never known when he's beaten player. He was involved in a right old ding dong match with Alan Green in the 1st round but it could have been so much easier for Part as he led 2-0 at one stage. He's got the pedigree here and Mason's heavy scoring will not worry him as he can dish the big scores out too. This match could well come down to finishing and Part has the advantage there. Part for me. 10pts C.Lloyd to beat R.Barneveld 11/4 Ladbrokes Lloyd's a bit overpriced here, he's in his own back yard and has oceans of Circus Tavern experience. Barney's making his debut here this year and the Tavern is a venue like no other, amazingly hot and the crowd are all around you and right behind you, it takes some getting used to. Lloydy is still World no1 after a good year on the circuit where he's won 3 tournaments, including the recent PDPA tournament in Holland, and the Irish Masters where he won the event with a 9 dart in the final leg. He hasn't played well on TV though in 2006 but I've always felt if he could get a win under his belt we might see the real Lloyd emerge. He can score heavily and here especially I've seen him put on sensational bursts of scoring. He needs one of those tonight but he's played Barney many times before and will know that. Barney is having a great time on the PDC circuit, he won the UK Open, beating Taylor with a 9 dart along the way. He's won 4 other tourneys this year inclufing 2 regional heats for the UK Open. He lacks experience here and I'm slightly baffled as to why he's changed his throwing style recently. He wants to throw like Taylor and while the results have been there, for me he's not been as secure as in the old days. It certainly wasn't broken so I'm unsure why he's tried to fix it. Lloyd will give him a tough game here and the one who hits the doubles at the right time will prevail. Given it should be close, Lloyd is good value here for a punt. 10pts D.Webster to beat A.Gray Evs Premierbet Darren Webster is a better player than he's given credit for and he took out Bob Anderson in comfortable style in round 1. Anderson was awful but you can only beat what's in front of you. Webster won a tournament last year on the circuit so he has the pedigree. Adrian Gray is a good young talent and he held himself together well against Ronnie Baxter on Monday, there were a few flaws to his game though, his scoring was impressive but he missed a few doubles. However in the final set when Baxter came on strong, Gray repelled him well. This is another game that has the makings to go close but I think Webster's game overall is good enough to see him into the last 16.

I thought the proper darts was meant to be tonight! They'll do well to better those last 2 matches tonight :loon . Bloody Canadian, how many doubles do you want to miss :@ :wall :wall :wall :wall
Unlucky Kev...The amount of doubles missed i wonder if they have a dart board in canada with doubles on it :loon

Re: PDC World Darts Championship head up Kev, I cant quite believe that day. some sensational matches, superb drats. Lloyd v Barney was a true epic, unfortunately, you were on the wrong end of it. But you were spot on in that Jaws really turned up tonight. I'd say you were veyr unlucky today mate, but there will be days when u do get more rub of the green :ok

Re: PDC World Darts Championship the betting for tuesday offers a couple of tasty bets, Ovens v Tabern, you can get Tabern at evens for this game, Ovens is an excellent player on the floor, and all the pros respect his ability in non televised events, but in fornt on the cameras he has really failed to deliver, so him being 11/8 is not a true price. i would urge you all to take Tabern. Jenkins v Smith, yet again value to be had from Smith at 11/8, he has been rising stock in the PDC and is a real heavy scorer, and against his good mate Jenkins who has just lost his father, and has a habit of letting his head go down if he is up against it, Yes Jenks can play i recall his performance against Taylor in Vegas, that was the best i have ever seen him play and he got beaten 3-0. So take the pieman for this game.

Re: PDC World Darts Championship Whacky set of matches as layers and backers had fun that day. * For whatever reason, Cyr couldn't finish his doubles (if he did he could easily have beaten a seemingly very nervous Vonck). * Lewis and Jenkins narrowly held on (a 4-3 Lewis win was OTB at my local Coral's...make of that what you will. Ladbrokes were reporting that a load of money went on Lewis to win 4-2 as well as Lewis to have the highest checkout. Both bets were thwarted.). * Manley didn't turn up until the fourth set and then he threw it away in the deciding set. one would have expected him to up his game a lot earlier but it's as though he remembered where he was and then forgot again! * Mason didn't self-destruct for once. * Lloyd/Barney was a real belter despite some weird outshot selections from Lloyd. * Gray petered out after a fairly good start and was punished by the numerous tons from Webster. Wynand Havenga!? Easily this year's underdog story and there's always at least one every year at the World Championship. Looking at him, it's as though they've combined Ted Hankey and Clive Lazarenko together! :eek Sixth day's set of matches, 3-dart averages of previous match plus match times (prices from Ladbrokes). 8/11 Denis Ovens (84.55) vs Alan Tabern (89.06) evens 18:10 2/5 Andy Hamilton (88.11) vs Mark Dudbridge (86.82) 7/4 19:45 1/16 Phil Taylor (96.62) vs Mick McGowan (94.06) 7/1 21:15 4/6 Alan Caves (83.11) vs Dave Askew 11/10 (82.73) 22:45 Ovens, Hamilton, Taylor and Caves all to win? 7/2 * Looking at the averages, Tabern should win it but the previous round's stats suggest Ovens has more tons whilst Tabern has more 180s. Ovens though is capable of higher finishes. I don't think Tabern was challenged much by Warriner but neither was Ovens against Smith. No bet for me but yeah, I'd agree with tom that Tabern is probably a better bet. * Dudbridge is slight value and he's seemingly on the upturn after a shocking year or so by his standards anyway. He's back throwing the 180s with some degree of venom. It should be a close match with a fair few sets ending up 3-2. Too close to call in my opinion and Hamilton shouldn't be that much of a favourite. I've kinda tipped Hamilton to be a semi-finalist ante-post though but not with any money, mind. Dudbridge could easily make me looka a right nana. :$ * What can you say about Taylor vs McGowan!? The one thing Taylor hates is people that beat him. Money has gone on McGowan at odds of 7/1+ but you may as well lay Taylor at 16/1 ON then over on the exchanges. McGowan is capable of 13 darters. Taylor on an off-day will average 16 darters. It's one thing doing it against other players, it's another doing so against Taylor and on TV. I don't share Chris Mason's enthusiasm that McGowan-Taylor will be a classic but that's bully for me as a naysayer. I expect Taylor will turn his performance up enormously and concentrate fully on the task of mercilessly bullying McGowan, giving him hints of a finish which will inevitably be ton plusses of which McGowan won't be able to get because the pressure will get to him. I can't see McGowan delaying the dream ticket final of van Barneveld vs Taylor but if McGowan is to do so it'll be because of his high number of 140s+. Ladbrokes give McGowan a +3.5 sets headstart and Mick's 2/5 to win a set. * Can't say I was that impressed with Caves' win against Mardle but he's up against Askew and 4/6 sounds about right but I'm not backing it. ...so um, no bets? Um, yeah I'm sitting on the fence again. :$

Re: PDC World Darts Championship I'm joining the McGowan backers but more on that later! I'll have a go with all 4 matches tonight. 10pts A.Tabern to beat D.Ovens Evs Ladbrokes This has the makings of a close match but it's one I'm confident that the St Helens man will prevail in. Alan Tabern has lots of scoring power and he's no mean finisher either. He's already made a major semi final in his short PDC career, making the last 4 of the UK Open and he rolled over Alan Warriner-Little with ease in his 1st round match here. Denis Ovens all too often fails to deliver on the TV stage. He beat Steve Smith in the 1st round fairly comfortably but his 84.55 average will need to be improved. Ovens seems to get to this stage of major events then have a mental block and he can't get past this stage. That's to Tabern's advantage here and I'm happy to be on the qualifier. 10pts A.Hamilton -1.5 sets to beat M.Dudbridge 5/6 Ladbrokes Mark Dudbridge showed signs of a return to form in the 1st round against the American, John Kuczynski. He peppered the 180's and achieved a respectable average of 86.82 but here's not playing a qualifier here, here he plays a real deal. Kuczynski missed a few doubles against Dudbridge to let him in, Hamilton is unlikely to do that so Dudbridge will have to be on top of his game. Hamilton has a big future in the game. His run to the quarters here last year showed us the talent he's got and he's improved a lot in the intervening 12 months. He easily saw off Gary Welding in the 1st round, a match that didn't look easy on paper and now we start to move into the business end of the tournament I expect to see the Hammer's A game come out. If it does that'll be too good for Dudbridge who may win 2 sets but shouldn't win more. 10pts M.McGowan +2.5 sets to beat P.Taylor 5/2 Bet365 Make no mistake about it, this is a match that Taylor could very well lose. McGowan beat him in Holland recently and he'll be up for doing it again. e beat Clark fairly easily in the 1st round with a 94 average despite not really looking on top of his game. There's more to come from "The Magnet" and I'm quite confident we'll see it here. Phil Taylor easily disposed of the Austrian Anton Pein in round 1 with a 96 average. You can rest assured that he'll be up for this match, he will want to teach McGowan who is boss, particularly here at his manor. However McGowan isn't going to lie down to the great man and he'll go with him. Taylor isn't the best starter you'll ever see and I think not only is it well in range for McGowan to win 2 sets, but that he will actually take 2 sets off The Power if not more. 10pts A.Caves to beat D.Askew 8/11 Premierbet We saw a bit of the real Caveman in the 1st round with Wayne Mardle but there is still more to come. Caves held himself together well under pressure once Mardle had pegged back a 2 set deficit. That should give Caves even more confidence and allow him to progress to the next stage. Askew struggled to see off Martin Burchell in the 1st round and will have his hands full here. On his day he can be a heavy scorer but on TV his day rarely arrives and with this being the last match on if Caves gets off to a good start, Askew may forget about chasing and Caves win easily. However the match pans out though I'm confident the West Ham fan will move through to the last 16.

Re: PDC World Darts Championship Who'll win the quarters? Odds from Ladbrokes. FIRST QUARTER - Raymond Van Barneveld 1/9 Denis Ovens 12/1 Alan Tabern 14/1 Rico Vonck 14/1 Alan Caves 33/1 Dave Askew 40/1 Raymond van Barneveld vs Rico Vonck Caves/Askew vs Ovens/Tabern SECOND QUARTER - Adrian Lewis 8/11 Roland Scholten 5/2 Colin Osborne 10/1 Andy Jenkins 11/1 Andy Smith 20/1 Wesley Newton 20/1 Alex Roy 25/1 Adrian Lewis vs Jenkins/Smith Scholten/Roy vs Osbourne/Newton THIRD QUARTER - Phil Taylor 1/6 Colin Mason 7/1 Darren Webster 14/1 Mick McGowan 16/1 Wynand Havenga 20/1 Taylor/McGowan vs Chris Mason Wynand Havenga vs Darren Webster FOURTH QUARTER - James Wade 5/2 Andy Hamilton 3/1 Dennis Priestley 3/1 Terry Jenkins 3/1 Mark Dudbridge 11/1 Dave Ladley 33/1 Per Laursen 50/1 Terry Jenkins vs Wade/Ladley Priestley/Laursen vs Dudbridge/Hamilton The second quarter sounds about right. I think most pundits have probably pegged it as Lewis vs Scholten/Osbourne in the quarter-finals. I can't be doing with 8/11 though. The last quarter is so intriguing. I wouldn't have made Wade a slight favourite.

Re: PDC World Darts Championship stereoman no doubt about it the last quarter is the tough one, however i will disaggre with you making wade favourite i would have to go for Denis Priestley, rejuvenated this year and with previous in this event and i think 3/1 is a decent price so i would reccomend getting that on.