** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Australian A-League Round 7 (Oct 6th - 8th)

Re: Australian A-League Round 7 (Oct 6th - 8th) Ads and Miguel I just realised that CC Mariners fell victim to the New Zealand curse...Played away in New Zealand last week and then lost their next game. Interesting, although Melbourne and Sydney this season are the only two teams to ever win their next game after playing the Knights in New Zealand. Maybe Melbourne and Sydney are something special! And if we think back to the 3-2 Telstra Dome match then perhaps they are.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Australian A-League Round 7 (Oct 6th - 8th) 85 minutes gone and nothing much has changed still. Perth improving slightly, but hardly getting any shots in while New Zealand are starting to slow down. A late goal is our only hope

Re: Australian A-League Round 7 (Oct 6th - 8th)

I took Perth/Perth HT/FT and i also took Perth -1
I have Perth for the Straight Win at $1-50. Never again will I take such short odds about an A League team, because any team is capable of winning on the night. The Knights possibly should have won this game :wall Then Colosimo one on one with the goalkeeper misses for Perth and could have killed the game off for Perth.

Re: Australian A-League Round 7 (Oct 6th - 8th) Colosomi kicks in to the goalkeeper in a one on one situation and bobby despotovski pounces on the loose ball and kicks it over the bar with no goal keeper there, an absolute sitter!!! :wall 60 seconds left

Re: Australian A-League Round 7 (Oct 6th - 8th) Bad luck to the guys who backed Perth on the -1 handicap (including me). I feel completely robbed with a mixture of poor finishing, bad referrering and absolutely SHOCKING luck costin Perth a huge win tonight. On so many ocasions they messed up easy situations to score and none better than inside the last minute where Colosimo misses a shot one on one with the keeper and Despotovksi missing an open goal with the rebound. Just ridiculous the way this panned out, well done those who took my advice on the Perth/Perth halftime/fulltime bet as you would of got some money back from that, but for the guys who missed out on the handicap i feel for you :wall

Re: Australian A-League Round 7 (Oct 6th - 8th) Congrats to all those that took the short odds about Perth for the win as they finally got up and won the game :clap Comiserations to those who were after multiple goals you were probably unlucky :wall That is the fifth game from seven that the Knights have been involved in that ended with 1 goal or less for the game. They have had three 1-0 losses and one 1-0 win amd one 0-0 draw.

Re: Australian A-League Round 7 (Oct 6th - 8th) Don't worry ads25 it happens. I don't believe in easy games and in handicaps and this is why i resume to pick only the winner. If it helps you were the inspiration for me on this match. Thanks a lot ang GL :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy :)

Re: Australian A-League Round 7 (Oct 6th - 8th) Now I will tell you that I feel a bit stiff here, I had the Draw/Perth, I said that the Knights were able to scrap well and hold their own in defence, I just got the half that they would do that in wrong. And then there is the Mori result. Win some lose some, still hate Adelaide, that is the one constant. It's good to see the Perth/Perth get up for those on, but I do agree with Beejay, $1.50 in this league should be treated with caution in the future. But as always glad to show some winners on PL's best new thread!

Don't worry ads25 it happens. I don't believe in easy games and in handicaps and this is why i resume to pick only the winner. If it helps you were the inspiration for me on this match. Thanks a lot ang GL :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy :)
Cheers godmato, glad to of been of service :cheers

Don't worry ads25 it happens. I don't believe in easy games and in handicaps and this is why i resume to pick only the winner. If it helps you were the inspiration for me on this match. Thanks a lot ang GL :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy :)
I am much the same godmato, prefer the win bets. The others are just for fun. The only certainty for Unders for me is when the Knights play the Mariners cos they are only able to score about one goal between them :ok

Now I will tell you that I feel a bit stiff here, I had the Draw/Perth, I said that the Knights were able to scrap well and hold their own in defence, I just got the half that they would do that in wrong. And then there is the Mori result. Win some lose some, still hate Adelaide, that is the one constant. It's good to see the Perth/Perth get up for those on, but I do agree with Beejay, $1.50 in this league should be treated with caution in the future. But as always glad to show some winners on PL's best new thread!
Couldn't have said it better myself Miguel! :ok LOL the Adelaide comment...Maybe you will have to forgive and foget and start making some money on them because they were quite outstanding tonight and get some players back next week...Tho I will be on Melbourne!..Maybe the week after for Adelaide ;) Me, you and Ads all agreed on Perth and they duly won and the odds around $1-50 was a bit skinny, but it is still nevertheless a win...And for people out there that do not know much about the A League they would have took the short odds because we thought it was a good bet...So hopefully a few people had a collect!..Wish Perth were able to get that second goal that they should have got though :wall

Great work Beejay' date=' another one for the winners list! :cheers[/quote'] Thanx Ads...Short but sweet and got me in front on the night, just, as I hit Perth at the short odds, and backed the Mariners for a lot less purely for value. I was way off on the Mariners though, although the score didn;t really reflect the match...Guess it's the old adage..If you get a chance you have to take it, and Adelaide did that, strikers missing or not...Think I let the value sway my judgement, even though the Mariners had their chances, but Adelaide were clearly the better side on the night and was very impressed with their effort.

Well i had Perth straight win and Over so 1-1 ' date=' we were unlucky, but i'm looking forward to the Melbourne game on Sunday. Good work in here guys.[/quote'] Cheers King :cheers Sunday's games point to Sydney and Melbourne wins for mine at this early stage. Queensland will give Sydney something to think about tho. Seeya then and tomorrow night off for A League :beer

Re: Australian A-League Round 7 (Oct 6th - 8th) LATEST TEAM NEWS FOR SUNDAY’S GAMES Saturday morning October 7

Sydney FC Midfielder Steve Corica will come straight back into the midfield after missing two games through suspension when Sydney FC takes on Queensland Roar at Aussie Stadium on Sunday, much to the delight of Italian star Benito Carbone. Corica and Carbone will form a mouth-watering attacking partnership in midfield as Sydney FC looks to take solitary possession of second place on the A League ladder with a victory over against the high-flying Roar. The match is Benito Carbone’s first “home” game at Aussie Stadium. Corica returns to the squad after a two match suspension and will go straight back into the starting side in place of Alex Brosque, who is on international duty with the Socceroos in Brisbane. Brosqueand Mark Milligan miss Sunday’s clash as they are part of the full strength Socceroo team for the games against Paraguay and Bahrain but it opens the way for the return of Corica.

Queensland Roar Coach Bleiberg has indicated that changes will be made to the side that was defeated by league leaders Melbourne Victory last week, but remained tight-lipped on who will be in and who will miss out as he prepares his side for Sunday’s visit to the current Hyundai A-League Champions, Sydney FC.

Roar welcome back Brazilian striker Reinaldo and young starlet Dario Vidosic into the squad but will be without Yuning Zhang, who is currently in China for his wedding. Bleiberg has plenty of strike power at his disposal despite the loss of Zhang with Reinaldo, Vidosic, Lynch and Milicic all expected to travel.

Melbourne Victory Melbourne Victory has signed English striker James Robinson on a two-week short term contract as a replacement for Archie Thompson, who will miss the match against Newcastle Jets this Sunday (kick-off 5:00pm) after he was selected in the Qantas Socceroos squad. Robinson has been on trial with Victory over the past three weeks and was recommended to the Victory coaching staff during his recent stint with Richmond in the Victorian Premier League, where he scored 13 goals in 19 matches. The 24-year-old moved from England earlier this year after spending the majority of his career with English side Crewe, which was followed by stints in Iceland and back in his homeland with Altrincham. Coach Ernie Merrick revealed that Robinson was part of a broader forward planning strategy by Victory, being one of a number of players the club had invited to train over the course of the season so far. Merrick has opted for a very attacking squad for the Newcastle encounter, with Robinson and Claudinho both included in the travelling party for the match, with Archie Thompson the only absentee from last week’s 4-1 demolition of Queensland. Newcastle Jets The Newcastle Jets face their toughest assignment in A-League this weekend when they face an undefeated Melbourne Victory on Sunday at EnergyAustralia Stadium and their task was made even tougher with the bitter-sweet announcement that Jade North was given a late call up to play for the Socceroos in Sunday’s friendly against Paraguay, excluding him from the match against Victory. Whilst the Jets were delighted for Jade, his call up as a replacement for Craig Moore created a few headaches for Head Coach Nick Theodorakopoulos. The Jets responded by signing current New Zealand international, Tim Brown, on a one week contract. Tim recently trialled with the Jets and Nick T was impressed with what he saw. The Jets were missing a number of experienced players against Perth and are happy to welcome back captain Paul Okon after he served a one week suspension for a red card received in the match against the CentralCoast. Stuart Musialik also returns after recovering from a shin injury and will combine with Tim Brown to sure up the midfield against Melbourne. Ben Kennedy has also been given the all clear to play for the Jets this weekend by the Jets medical staff after recovering from a knee injury that he sustained in last week’s match against Perth.

Re: Australian A-League Round 7 (Oct 6th - 8th) Young seals Perth win Reviews off A-Leage OFficial site http://www.a-league.com.au/ Saturday, 7 October, 2006 - 12:13AM Justin Chadwick Sportal 00005057-image.jpg Stuart Young's fourth goal of the Hyundai A-League season has led Perth to a hard-fought 1-0 victory over the New Zealand Knights at Members Equity Stadium on Friday night. In a tale of two halves, Young headed home what would prove to be the winner in the 37th minute before Perth was forced to defend stoutly in the second half as the Knights pushed hard for an equaliser, but to no avail as the Glory notched its second win on the trot. The win ensures Perth remains on equal points with the fourth-placed Adelaide United, who earlier in the night recorded a 3-1 win over the Mariners. The Knights, meanwhile, could drop to the foot of the table if Newcastle earns a point against league leaders Melbourne on Sunday. Perth coach Ron Smith acknowledged his team had to battle it out right until the end to secure the three points. "I think we knew we were in for a fight tonight and in some ways you have to be able to cope with whatever the other team throws at you," Smith said after the match. "They won a lot of the battles. They are bigger than us and they played to their strengths. They were always a danger from the aerial threat. I thought we created some good opportunities in the first-half and I felt we tended to dominate the first-half. They had a bit more of it in the second-half and it was really an end-to-end stuff." New Zealand coach Paul Nevin rued his team's missed chances late in the match. "We created a number of good opportunities, not half-chances but good ones, (in the second-half) and failed to get the goal when it mattered. I think to come away with absolutely nothing this evening is very, very frustrating," Nevin said. Although it was New Zealand's fifth loss on the trot and third 0-1 defeat in succession, Nevin was confident the squad was close to breaking through for its second win of the season. "We can smell it. It has been that close every week for the last three weeks," he said. "If we are that close, it's just the law of averages that at some point we will hit the back of the net. When it happens, I think the lift we will get from that…goals will follow and the confidence will build. But it's got to happen, and it's got to happen very soon." New Zealand entered the match without defenders Gregory Duruz and Che Bunce after the pair were red-carded against Central Coast last week, while Perth was without star recruit Stan Lazaridis who was on national duties with the Qantas Socceroos. Veteran striker Bobby Despotovski almost fired the home side into the lead just two minutes after kick-off when he rifled in a powerful strike from outside the box, but Knights keeper Michael Turnbull was up to the challenge, tipping the ball over the crossbar. Malik Buari then tried his luck from long-range but for no result, before Despotovski headed a Leo Bertos cross wide of the mark. Knights defender Neil Emblen and Turnbull were almost left red-faced in the 25th minute when Simon Colosimo sent a wayward lofted-ball into the box that caused mass confusion between the New Zealand pair. Emblen looked set to easily header it clear, before he hesitated and ducked under the cross in an attempt to allow Turnbull to collect the ball. However, the New Zealand keeper was out of position and could only look on as the ball passed him and hit his left-hand post, before rebounding back into his awaiting hands. The close call sparked the visitors into action, and a minute later Noah Hickey found himself unmarked and with the ball at his feet outside the box, but his strike sailed over the crossbar. Despotovski was in the thick of the action again in the 34th minute when he found himself open at the far post and on the end of a Young cross, but he somehow spurned his shot from point-blank range over the crossbar. But it mattered little with the Glory breaking the deadlock three minutes later. Despotovski raced down the right wing and sent in a dangerous cross to the awaiting Young, who rose high and headed the ball past Turnbull. Once again the Knights keeper was reduced to watching the ball as it passed him and hit the post, but this time the bounce off the post wasn't so kind, as the ball rolled over the goal-line. Naum Sekulovski almost doubled the lead in the 43rd minute, but Turnbull denied the midfielder with a terrific save. Despotovski was soon celebrating when he drilled the ball into the back of the net on the stroke of half-time, only to be ruled offside. Perth looked certain to add its second just a minute after the re-start when Despotovski latched on to a Young long ball with only the keeper to beat, but Knights midfielder Sime Kovacevic laid a successful tackle on the Glory veteran, with Despotovski's appeals for a penalty waved away. New Zealand lifted its work-rate after that scare and started to create real problems for the Glory defence for the first time in the night. Sean Devine had a great opportunity from close range but fired his shot wide, before Perth keeper Jason Petkovic was forced to dive full-length to deny a powerful Richard Johnson strike in what would have been a fantastic goal from outside the box. Jamie Harnwell and substitute Ante Kovacevic wasted their chance in front of goal, but it was the Knights who continued to mount pressure on the Glory defence. The visitors created three good chances in the dying minutes of the match with the best falling to Scot Gemmill when the Knights midfielder gained possession of the ball just eight metres out and directly in front of goal, but his shot went straight to Petkovic who easily claimed the ball. Colosimo should have made it 2-0 in stoppage time when he sprinted into space and was one-on-one with the keeper, but Turnbull denied the Glory midfielder before Despotovski fired the rebound well wide of the target. Perth 1 (Young 37) New Zealand 0 Crowd: 7,309 @ Members Equity Stadium

Re: Australian A-League Round 7 (Oct 6th - 8th) Adelaide sweeps past Mariners Friday, 6 October, 2006 - 10:09PM Marc Fox, Sportal 00005056-image.jpg Carl Veart heads home against Danny Vukovic Adelaide United has condemned the Central Coast Mariners to its fourth loss of the season with a 3-1 victory at Hindmarsh Stadium. After the Mariners had dominated proceedings in the first half, Adelaide took back the initiative in the second term after shaking off the hangover of Monday's 4-1 home hammering to Sydney FC. Midway though the opening term, Carl Veart headed home his first goal of the new season when he got on the end of a deep Jason Spagnuolo centre after the Mariners had failed to clear an Adelaide corner. But former Adelaide City striker Damian Mori levelled the scores before half-time with a classic goal-poacher's strike. Mori collected a perfectly-timed pass from Mariners skipper Noel Spencer before beating Kristian Rees and sliding home delightfully from a tight angle. But after the interval, Adelaide came out firing with 18-year-old Nathan Burns hitting the post within minutes of the restart before Rees put his team back in front when he glanced in Bobby Petta's in-swinging corner from close range. Burns made sure in stoppage time with a sweetly struck finish. Lining up without Travis Dodd, Fernando and Shengqing Qu, Adelaide coach John Kosmina shuffled his pack, opting for a 3-4-3 formation with Rees making his first start of the season. But the hard-working Mariners never let the Reds' rejigged backline settle and continuously exploited the wide open spaces either side of the newcomer and Michael Valkanis. Mori was a constant thorn in Adelaide's side, spurning his first chance when he just couldn't quite get enough contact on Damien Brown's centre to trouble Robert Bajic. Defender Paul O'Grady was the next to test Bajic, his volley from the edge of the area almost surprising the in-form goalkeeper before he sprawled low to his left to scramble the ball around the post. The Mariners were restricting Adelaide to a series of harmless free-kicks from outside the penalty area when Veart scored against the run of play. The unmarked striker pounced to head home at the back post after Mori had made a hash of clearing an Adelaide corner by playing the clearance straight back to the corner taker Spagnuolo who expertly picked out Veart to score. Matthew Osman and Brown wasted two more great chances cultivated by the craft of Mori before the former Perth Glory striker made amends for his earlier mistake by beating the offside trap, rounding Bajic and tucking away from an acute angle. Adelaide came out in the second half with Kosmina's instructions ringing in their ears and immediately seized control of the game. Within moments, Burns found himself in plenty of space on the right, cut in and struck the inside of Danny Vukovic's left-hand post before the Mariners defence cleared. The Central Coast goalkeeper was in the thick of it again with a diving stop after Petta and Veart had combined wonderfully to forge another chance. But from the ensuing corner Rees headed home Petta's whipped delivery from close range. With the Dutchman having switched to the left, the home side was able to create a glut of chances with Veart blasting over, Greg Owens denied by Vukovic when clean through and Burns dragging a shot wide. By spurning those chances, Adelaide was living dangerously defending a one-goal lead and was forced to survive some late Mariners pressure with Spencer guilty of wildly slashing at the visitor's best chance. But Burns scored his second goal in as many starts in the closing moments to make certain of his side's third win of the season. Adelaide United 3 (Veart 25, Rees 58, Burns 90) Central Coast Mariners 1 (Mori 38) Crowd: 10,493 at Hindmarsh Stadium