Snooker: China Open

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Snooker: China Open he got whipped, looks like (as expected) he was in one of his 'moods'. Giving 10/1 that he says he'll quit 3+ times this year... did anyone watch?? Was it Ronnie letting himself down, or Wattana on a blinder?? I had Wattana on 4.5, like Mullet suggested, great call there, pity it was low stakes... What do you reckon to Maguire / Walden, I've still got 2-2 so must still be at interval (but am struggling to find constantly updated scores, so could be wrong)

Re: Snooker: China Open Well, thats it for today, how did everyone do on the 1st rounds??

1.5pt E/W (3pts total) Hawkins Outright - 41.00 StanJames
- Hendry whooped him good and proper, 1st round exit, 0pts
3pt Williams to win against D Henry - 1.44 bet365
- Williams wins easily 5-2, +4.32pts
2pt Stephens to win against MacKenzie - 1.36 bet365
- Stephens comes back from 4-2 down to 4-4 and a scrappy last frame, but MacKenzie wins, 0pts
4pts - Perry To Win Against Gunnell - 1.57 Williams
- Phew, that was a struggle, Perry not looking as good a prospect as 2 days ago, but a win none the less! 6.28pts
4pts Murphy to win against Holt - 1.53 StanJames
- I ain't got a clue what went down here, so I'm gonna say..... jetlag. 0pts
2pt Accumulator: total odds 3.32 bet365 Lee to win against Gray - 1.53 - WIN Ding to win against Tian - 1.20 - WIN Dott to win against Lu - 1.29 - WIN Higgins to win against Bingham - 1.40 - WIN
- Thats more like it! Dotts performance was good, Higgins had to work for it and got lucky. Ding also went the distance, Lee wasn't challanged. 6.64pts Starting: 30pts 1st Round Stakes: 18pts 1st Round Returns: 17.24pts Total: 29.24pts All in all, a mediocre start, not helped by Murphy bowing out, looks like my picks need more refining. And on to 2nd Round, line up is: Scott MacKenzie V Mark Williams Joe Perry V Michael Holt James Wattana V Stephen Lee Ken Doherty V Ricky Walden John Higgins V Peter Ebdon Ding Junhui V Graeme Dott Joe Swail V David Roe Jamie Cope V Stephen Hendry ANything jump out guys?? I'm looking at: Williams, Doherty, Higgins, Swail and Hendy. I also think Perry's got Holt's number. My mate (who I work with, follows the snooker but not a betting man) picked the following: Williams, Perry, Lee, Walden, Higgins, Junhui, Swail and Hendry He smells an upset for Williams (I can't see this myself), I also think Wattana will win over Lee, if only on confidence. Couldn't call Ding V Dott... oh go on then... Dott.

Re: Snooker: China Open

Ebdon is simply shocking at the moment and anyone who does back him' date=' must be insane as he has showed nothing, a 5-0 loss to Joe Swail being his latest effort. Ebdon has never liked the best of 9 tournys anyway and he should be back on the plane shortly practising for his much loved World Championships.[/quote'] JINX!!!! :lol:lol Looks like we all took a hit with that one, what was Selby playing at, eh? Walden beat Maquire and Wattana beat Ronnie, Holt beat Murphy. It's been Upset day in the qym!!! Interestingally, Wattana was the Outright rank outsider yesterday with StanJames offering about 250/1 (I think, can't remember now, could have been 150/1), lol I hope everyone survived that rough weather ok!!

Re: Snooker: China Open Yeah interesting day at the gym. Nothing particulary stands out. I think lee wattana will go the distance so 5-4 either way if its still best of 9. Hendry Williams double i fancy. O'Sullivan needs to win the world championship to retain his number one. If thats not an incentive to train hard in the next 4 weeks i don't know wot is. This result makes me more confident he will do well this year! Hendry is still probably (arguably) the best break builder in world snooker. He should beat cope but i think the 8/13 offers more value than the 2/5 on hendry winning. In fact i think this looks an excellent bet 10 points Hendry highest break in match v Cope at 1.63 with Stan James In the Lee v Wattana game i can see two in form players playing right to the death. A couple of points on 5-4 either way i feel is the way forward but i'd probably say lee 5-4 if i had to stick my neck out. Again small stakes but feeling quite confident about this. 2 points Lee 5-4 frame betting at 6.5 with bet365 2 points Wattana 5-4 frame betting at 7.0 with bet365

Re: Snooker: China Open Trying to get these up a bit earlier for ZW's benefit ;) 3 plays for me on Thursday. 10pts M.Holt to beat J.Perry 11/10 Totesport If every snooker match was settled on talent and ability then Holt would win this comfortably unfortunately temperament has to come into it which levels it out a bit. That shouldn't be too much of a factor in this as Holt will be flying after knocking out the World Champion in the last round. With that result where he made a 123 break and some decent form coming into this gives him the edge in my opinion. 10pts J.Wattana to beat S.Lee 6/4 Skybet Wattana, as close to home as he's going to get beat O'Sullivan in the last round and a repeat of that form will be enough to win here. Stephen Lee edged past David Gray 5-4 in the last round but his highest break was only 49 which suggests he didn't play all that well. Recently Wattana has knocked out Higgins on his way to the Welsh quarter finals and qualified for the World Championships and those results coupled with the O'Sullivan result should have him full of confidence and he's decent value to see off Lee. 10pts J.Cope to beat S.Hendry 2/1 VC Bet This is a very nice bet. Cope is absolutely flying right now. Having had a good season so far, he was unlucky to be edged out 5-4 by Murphy in the Welsh Open but he's carried on his good form here in China. He was 14 reds and 14 blacks towards a 147 in his last match against McManus which proves he's in good nick and comes up against Hendry who although he beat Hawkins 5-1 in the last round he was gifted the match in many ways by Hawkins' constant misses. He'll have to perform better than in that match here and I'll take my chances with the up and coming Cope to win. For anyone whose interested you can have a free bet on Michael Holt against Joe Perry. Ladbrokes and Paddy Power both go evens on Perry to win so if you back them both at level stakes and Perry wins you'll get your money back on the Holt bet and obviously if Holt wins you win. Good luck to all who bet.

Re: Snooker: China Open I hanen't had much time this evening to look, none the less my choices are (in CAPS): WATTANA v Lee 5pts - 2.25 Bet365 I agree with everything thats been said, cant add much, Wattana's on good form, good confidence. Lee's shown nothing outstanding. DOHERTY v Walden 5pts - 1.53 Bet365 Walden may be doing well but Dohertys a whole different class, Kens got high ranking form in the last year and will pervail, he seems comfortable in beijing. DOTT v Ding 3pts - 2.37 Bet365 My pick for an upset on round 2, Ding has some serious confidence issues to overcome and Dott just cruised throught the last, well worth a punt at the odds, even if I am wrong. HIGGINS v Ebdon 3pts - 1.44 Bet365 Higgin's fluked the last, but I cant help thinking that he actually can improve his game overnight, I'm backing the bookies favourite for a little. Well, well, good arguments for both sides of henry v cope You may be right about Perry V Holt, kevshat. No bet for me. I didn't have time to shop around on OddsCheck had to go with 365's sorry. ZuluWarrior

Re: Snooker: China Open Well, I decided to go for a boring but let`s hope solid double: Hendry + Williams @2,03 Betandwin Can`t see past these two as opposition is nowhere near their level and they`ll certainly fancy to get as much tournament play before the WC. I expect a routine wins unless they got caught on the wrong foot as we seen with Ronnie yesterday. cheers

Joe Perry 5 - 4 Michael Holt
(75) 76-25, (68) 68-34, 15-71, 35-52, 13-85 (81), 55-66, 61-31, 60-59, 19-0 (Holt conceded)
Stephen Lee 5 - 4 James Wattana *
26-65, 54-69, 15-70, (67) 67-12, 44-72, 67-30, 59-37, (53) 67-8, 67-29
Well from those scores, it appears Wattana crumbled at 4-1, shocking. :\ Then we have Michael Holt who unforgivably conceded the final frame at 19-0 and makes this excuse:
Nottingham's Holt candidly added: "I missed five match balls and when I missed another easy red in the last frame I was absolutely gone, it was all over. "It's the second time in a row I've lost from 4-2 up and I was thinking about that all the way through. I will probably regret it but I'm used to that. I'm trying to become a better player but I must be trying too hard."
This kid is a nutcase and will never see any of my money ever again. I didn't back this time or Wattana, but I feel gutted for anyone that did.

Re: Snooker: China Open Absolutely, I heard about Holt on Eurosport this morning and was gonna mention it, I just can't phathom what he was thinking, even if it is all over we all know to see it through. How many lucky or long shots do people have to pull in snooker before Holt catches on to this?? Someone shouted "Rigged" in the last Ding match, well if someone where to say it hear on the 19-0 final frame concession (while unjustified IMO) I think it would carry more weight... Holt=>:spank Wattana's demise is a sore pill to take though, its not often you see a player collapse that quickly, from sky high confidence and playing form, to nothing to lose 3 in a row, looks like another crazy day in Beijing, forget the snooker tables in the gym, bring out the monkey bars!!! Well, on with the evening session, Upsets are apleanty so Dott upsetting the bookies wouldn't go amiss, and there's Hendry for a saver! You gotta really fancy a Hendry V Williams quarter final, It'll be a great match,I might set my Sky+ for that one (Miss it as am at work :@) if it goes off... ZuluWarrior

Re: Snooker: China Open Did anyone see Ebdons last black on the 4th frame? Absolutely appauling it was, I could have potted it! As I was cheering for Higgins I did a little dance when he missed, but a complete throw away by Ebdon there, aftet a clanger like that theres no way you can win 5 in a row (let alone 1 :) )

Re: Snooker: China Open Bad day for you kevshat. Zulu your on fire, called all the correct results 8 outta 8. wp mate. Very glad to see Wattana crumble like that, i really did think lee would win in a very tight game. Agree with what's been said by all about holt but i've seen players do it in the past and they will continue to do it. Snooker can be the most infuriating sport in the world, but it shows he hasn't got that mental toughness to win games win he isn't playing well. It will be intersting to see how he performs in the big one now. He's got ebdon in the 1st round. Now in my opinion that game could be unmissable because ebdon we know can be a ******, so if he winds up holt i reckon there will be a punch up!! Also feel Robertson could go well in Sheffield.

Re: Snooker: China Open Just looking at recent form and what i know about the players this is how i see the draw for the world's going. Murphy v Doherty Higgins/O'Sullivan v Hendry Murphy and Hendry have the easiest draws so i'll be backing those two e/w and i m sure one will get to the final

Re: Snooker: China Open My results for round 2:

WATTANA v Lee 5pts - 2.25 Bet365
LOSE - 0pts Really disappointed with the apparent throw away of Wattana's lead, oh well.
DOHERTY v Walden 5pts - 1.53 Bet365
WIN - 7.65pts Good chap, Doherty's my pick for the bottom of the table, he's got it all to play for as a win or runner up here puts a load of points and great from for the year on him as he enters the world championship.
DOTT v Ding 3pts - 2.37 Bet365
LOSE - 0pts Ding's found a bit of form, be interesting to see what is said after the match.
HIGGINS v Ebdon 3pts - 1.44 Bet365
WIN - 4.32pts Higgin's fancy's himself for the world number 1/2 slot so is playing every match like his last, had a hiccup in round 1, but seems to be coming back into it again with this little whitewash
Double 2pts @ 1.91 Bet365 Williams - 1.36 Hendry - 1.40
WIN - 3.82pts Good call to those who said it, a decent value double here makes for an amazing quarter final of Williams V Henry. Starting: 30pts 1st Round Stakes: 18pts 1st Round Returns: 17.24pts 2nd Round Stakes: 18pts 2nd Round Returns: 15.79pts Total: 27.03pts Still going the wrong way!! Once again need to review my picks, at this rate I'll be bust before the final!!! The quarter finals are upon us: Stephen Lee (2.10 WillHill) V Ken Doherty (1.83 BlueSquare) John Higgins (1.33 SportingOdds) V Joe Perry (3.75 WillHill) Ding Junhui (1.40 StanJames) V Joe Swail (2.75 StanJames) Mark Williams (2.38 StanJames) V Stephen Hendry (1.53 StanJames) My INITIAL preliminary choices are : 8/10 - Williams - he's been playing well, whereas Hendry's performance is lagging, he took way to long to beat the new guy Cope. Good value here at 2.38 (StanJames is the first early price I found) 8/10 - Higgins - Perry was gifted his last match, which went the distance against Holt, Higgin's form in this torney's been improving, and his whitewash of Ebdon can only compound it, as I said above, Higgin's hiccup in Round 1 seems to have apst and his confidence is high, should pervail over Perry. 6/10 - Doherty - Both Doherty and Lee are playing well, but Doherty's form for this year is less sporadic than Lee's, as I fancy Doherty wants to win, and his confidence is up, I'll pick him provisionally. 4/10 - Swail - Ding will have a confidence boost after the last match, but as he himself states his form and fitness are not good, he'll get tired soon and I'll continue to lay until he drops out. Anyone want to convince me otherwise?? ;) @ mullet, are you sure I got 8 for 8?? I certainly didn't bet on all 8 winners!! Not on the points bets either, my inital 6 selections where right, but I didn't stick to them. Obviously I should listen to my first instinct some more, but when I come to reasoning the picks I make, I struggle, and the form normally sows seeds of doubt in my mind...

Re: Snooker: China Open Well, no ones got anything to say tonight... 2 Picks for me tommorow, reasoning as above Doherty 10pts 1.83 BlueSquare Doherty V Lee - These 2 players have have always been of an equal level and making a decision is hard, but this year Dohery's had more success than Lee. Make no kmistake, Lee stands a chance, but Doherty's got a top 4 slot and I reckon he fancies top 3, he'll know how much a good wedge of success here can be worth. Williams 5pts 2.50 BetFred Hendry seems to have had problems this torney, while he is playing very well Williams is on fire and to me seems stronger going into this match, a good value bett if you ask me. The rankings suggest different but I was not impressed with Stephen today. and a longshot with: Swail 2pts 3.00 Bet365 As stated before I don't think Dings got the mental advantage to get too much further... ZuluWarrior

Re: Snooker: China Open Last minute bet: 4pts Highest Break Double StanJames 2.20 cum. odds Higgins @ 1.40 Bit of a dead cert bet here, Higgins has got the highest break in every match so far including a 128 and a few other centuries, Perry's not cracked 100 yet this tornament, pity about the low odds... Ding @ 1.57 Another good chance, at least 2 nice high centuries, we all know Ding can build a break if he gets a chance, Swails been less impressive this torney with a cingle century and a few 90's and 80's ZuluWarrior

SportSnooker/Pool
EventChina Open
SelectionWilliams to beat Hendry
Strength10/10
Date24/03/2006
Bookmaker/Price>BetFred @ 2.50 (Back)
ReasoningWilliams is way overpriced here, and is without doubt playing the better snooker. Hendry has only had 2 breaks over 70 in 15 frames, hardly impressive. Williams however has had 2 big tons and is looking very assured at present. He followed that impressive 1st round win with a 5-0 solid whitewash, whereas you could argue Hendry fell over the line because of Cope's inexperience as he led 3-1 but lost 5-4. Williams has been practising hard since he found out his top 16 place was in danger and it's starting to show bigtime.

Re: Snooker: China Open lol, 2 steps ahead of ya!! I was placing 9 frame forcasts on Williams last night when I got the nerves (it must have been you placing your bets!!), and funnily enought I put a saver on that same scoreline, lol... Unfortunatally, Higgins did not score the highest break, so thats a let down :( Good luck all for the afternoon, looks good so far, Higgins and Doherty both win 5-2... ZuluWarrior

Re: Snooker: China Open Yeah i always think the highest break markets are good though because they offer on occasions more value than the win bet on a short odds player. Williams 4-1 up at mo so fingers crossed. I haven't had any bets on this round but i'll re-cap how i m doing at the mo 4 u zulu 1st round Stake 14 points Returns 19.8 points 2nd round Stake 24 points Returns 29.3 points 3rd round No stakes Overall +11.1 points plus got williams outright which looking like his got Hendry's number at mo