Snooker: China Open

Re: Snooker: China Open Quarter finals over, and I've had a good day here! I'd have to agree mullet, with all your points, Williams is my pick but still gonna be a close one, both are brsitling with tornament form. I'm with you too, I have a stake on Williams to win outright, and also an E/W on Doherty at good odds, so here's hoping a Williams Doherty final!! Doing well there too, mullet, todays brought me back into the points contention (thankfully), summary as follows:

Doherty 10pts 1.83 BlueSquare
Won more comfortably than expected, I still fancy Doherty for the final, but he's got a tough challange tommorow against Higgins, this will be an interesting one... - 18.30pts
Williams 5pts 2.50 BetFred
Another winner, the form of the tornament doesn't lie (this time). Williams came out fighting and didn't stop pressuring, Hendry just couldn't match at the current form in China. - 12.50pts
Swail 2pts 3.00 Bet365
Well I did say it was a long shot, with Williams in the next I'll definatally be laying Ding again, I've convinced myself he can't go much further, but his form has become ALOT better since the 1st round... - 0pts
4pts Highest Break Double StanJames 2.20 cum. odds Higgins @ 1.40 Ding @ 1.57
Ding got his highest break (did swail even make one ???) but Higgins let me down good and proper, perhaps he never got a chance at accruing a break?? This time the form lies yet again. Starting: 30pts 1st Round Stakes: 18pts 1st Round Returns: 17.24pts 2nd Round Stakes: 18pts 2nd Round Returns: 15.79pts Quarter Final Stakes: 21pts Quarter Final Returns: 30.80pts Total: 34.13pts Yay, back in the black!!! 2 Interesting Semi's now: (1.62 StanJames) Ding Junhui v Mark Willliams (2.20 Stan James) (2.63 StanJames) Ken Doherty v John Higgins (1.57 PaddyPower) Gonna Back Williams here, His form in the tornament is just better than Dings if you ask me, and we've seen cracks in Ding when under pressure, Williams will apply pressure and keep it there. As for Doherty and Higgins, I just can't call it, I've got Doherty to win or place and that's influincing my reasoning now, but believe me, this won't be over quickly, there will be no whitewash at the beijing gym tommorrow, I might take 5-3 and 5-4 either way if the odds are high enough, but I would love to hear some opinions on this one... ZuluWarrior

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Snooker: China Open Is someone having a bubble? Doherty 13/8 to beat Higgins? Do these people not know Doherty has beaten Higgins on their last 2 meetings - in this years Malta Cup final and in the UK Champs of 2005. That is a massive price and one that I may just fill my boots with!

Re: Snooker: China Open Thats good enought for me. Plus lets not forget that little struggle Higgins hit in R1... Doherty 6pts @ 2.63 StanJames As mullet said, plus Higgins seems to be feeling the heat, he may be too tired by tomorrow... Williams 4pts @ 2.25 BlueSquare If anyone from the last eight has got the ability to beat Ding on his home turf it is Williams, he's got a good mental angle here and will put a great fight on. Just noticed Williams hit his 200th Century this torney, good man :cheers ZuluWarrior

Re: Snooker: China Open Yeah they are two fascinating games. I'm really not sure so i think not worth having a punt on the outright of either match but i'm goona cross my fingers for Williams. I think the Higgins match will be extremelly close so as it worked in the Lee V Wattana game, how about the old trick of 6-5 either way. I actually think Higgins will win 6-5 and i'll stab at Williams 6-3. Ladbrokes are offering the value (something i don't say too often) 1 point Higgins 6-5 v Doherty at 7.0 with Ladbrokes 1 point Doherty 6-5 v Higgins at 8.0 with Ladbrokes Kevshat i do agree that Higgins shouldn't be 1/2 on this game but he has showed of late why he'll probably be number one at the end of the season. He's 7/4 on betfair i.e 2.70 so i would say have a medium size punt as it offers some value but its not a game i'd fill my boots with.

Re: Snooker: China Open I am surely tempted with Doherty @2,70 but as said it`s tough to split these two and I can`t really put myself to place a bet. Will rather watch and enjoy. I`m taking Williams @2,40 baw anytime. I admit Ding can surely put together an admirable performance but as I saw him play during China tourney he was mostly feeding from opponents mistakes and a 1st round decider showed he can be very vulnerable. In semis he`s not meeting some Swail who played absolutely abysmal and even then had chances for a frame or two but a skilled veteran with peaking form being hungry for success that will punish him if he`s not 100% there. Combine that with a demanding crowd and we have a winner. ZuluWarrior, semi-finals are best of 11 ;) cheers

Re: Snooker: China Open Actually just been scouring oddschecker. Found a bet i love. How many centuries in the match? None 27/20 One 6/4 Two + 5/2 Eleven frames potentially. 2 in form top quality players, i think there's bound to be at least one and probably two so although i think your not allowed more than two bets on a match i'll have to have these privately but i'll post them anyway 6 points at 3.5 there two be two plus century breaks in the Higgins v Doherty match with Sportingodds (potential return 21 points) 4 points at 2.5 there to be one century break in the Higgins v Doherty match with Sportingodds potential return 10 points (pound saver))

Re: Snooker: China Open

Kevshat i do agree that Higgins shouldn't be 1/2 on this game but he has showed of late why he'll probably be number one at the end of the season. He's 7/4 on betfair i.e 2.70 so i would say have a medium size punt as it offers some value but its not a game i'd fill my boots with.
I'm not saying that Higgins isn't playing good snooker Mullet, I'm in no doubt that he is. That clearance in the decider at the Masters will be one I remember for an awful long time but the fact is Doherty has still beaten Higgins twice during this good spell Higgins is enjoying. I personally believe that Doherty is also playing some of his best snooker and given that he is tough to beat at the best of times, stick in the recent meetings and you've got a great bet.

SportSnooker/Pool
EventChina Open
SelectionDoherty to beat Higgins
Strength10/10
Date25/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceStan James @ 2.62 (Back)
ReasoningYou should always take notice of head to head records, especially in a sport such as snooker where it's a mental battle. Doherty has played Higgins twice this season and won both. The last being a 9-8 win after being 8-5 down in the final of the Malta Cup. Doherty finished with breaks of 65, 55, 105 & 70 to win that, and absolutely no way should he be 2.62 to win again.

SportSnooker/Pool
EventChina Open
SelectionWilliams to beat Ding
Strength10/10
Date25/03/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 2.36 (Back)
ReasoningWell this is a simple case of the Ding "Chinese home soil" effect. Absolutely no way on this planet should he be a 1.57 fav!! Who has he beaten so far? Struggled to beat a wild card 5-4, beaten the player with the worst record on foreign soil snooker has ever seen in the shape of Graeme Dott and yesterday beat a way off form Joe Swail. Has he been tested? No he most certainly has not, but he will be against Williams and the welshman is a superb price to carry on his excellent form in this tournament. Take the 2.36 and smile.

Re: Snooker: China Open So much for doherty... Yea, sorry Imperium. Don't I look like an idiot!! I actually knew there where 11, but I typed my post quickly while I was concentrating on some work, a bit of an auto pilot moment there, I meant 6-5, 6-4... C.mon Mark!, take the game to him! Ohhh, As I type Ding missed a simple one, lovely!! ZuluWarrior

Re: Snooker: China Open Can't believe there wasn't one century between the pair this morning and as i turned on at midday i see williams clock up a 115 break. Gutted. Oh well Williams is playing very quickly at the mo, sign he's confident and so he shud be being 5-2 up. Come on mark!!!

Re: Snooker: China Open Mark does the bussiness :) Looking forward to tommorows final it should be a cracker. No you didn`t look like an idiot ZuluW as it was just a typo that could have happened to anyone :) But I thought I`d mention it for our less snooker savvy visitors. cheers

Re: Snooker: China Open Well, Williams wins with a good margin, gonna be a great game tommorow as both players are on great form...

Doherty 6pts @ 2.63 StanJames
Well there goes my fav from the comp, Doherty didn't seem on the same form as he has been on the rest of the tornament, but Higgins still is, he's playing better than ever IMO... 0pts
Williams 4pts @ 2.25 BlueSquare
A cracking performance again, Williams is bang on form and I think he's got what it takes to top the table in the near future, and with this tornament the form I expect seems to be returning, tommorow Higgins is going to face another very strong player Starting: 30pts 1st Rnd: (Stake) 18pts (Return) 17.24pts 2nd Rnd: (Stake) 18pts (Return) 15.79pts 1/4 Final: (Stake) 21pts (Return) 30.80pts 1/2 Final (Stake) 10pts (Return) 9pts Total: 33.13pts Looking to the Final: Mark Williams (2.37 Bet465) v John Higgins (1.6 VC) These 2 guys are bang on top of there game, this will be a blinding final, I fancy Williams has got the goods here too, as the outsider I might take a punt here, I also foresee this one going for more than 15 frames (2.50 @ Bet365), although both matches fell a frame or two short of the distance I expected today... ZuluWarrior

Re: Snooker: China Open I say, I say, All quite on the western front, I'm gonna take a stab at... Williams To Win 10pts @ 2.38 Bet365 Williams performance thus far in this tornament has been impeccable, his defeat of Ding was comfortable too, as he managed to really punish every mistake Ding made.I'm really concerned about Higgin's run of form though, my soluse being that he seems to be susseptable to a bit of pressure, if the conditions or attitude are slightly off, Higgins could flutter. If he does Williams will capitalise. A Great match made better by having a flutter and some points on it too! Over 15 frames 5pts @ 2.50 Bet365 Both players have shown the correct mental attitude, and at this stage won't be suceptable to the "its all over" syndrome, neither player will give this up, even if (god forbid) the score was 7-1 at tea. Williams has definatally made some great comebacks and I'll fancy Higgins has too. I expect a quite tied match with a final score of more than 9-6 either way. On the other hand it's Higgin's 4th final and hes won 2 out of 3 so far, not to mention his recent performances, so he's got a strong form for this. The bookies arn't wrong to make him favourite, I just think Williams has got it all to play for and he knows it, that could be enought to get his head on top of this match Good luck to all, and good luck to Mark Williams! ZuluWarrior

Agreed the top half of the draw is alot weaker than the bottom with murphy, macguire, o'sullivan and hendry in the bottom half (from recall). Williams has started to improve his form lately, i havent been too ipressed with Ding of late so at 16/1 i ll back him for small stakes 3 points Williams to win China Open at 17.00 (general) e.g. Sportingodds
:clap

Re: Snooker: China Open It was a cracking final and congrats to Mark for winning a tourney after some time. Thanks to all of you that contributed to this thread, there were some really terrific bets and a good chat all along. Until championship, cheers :)

Williams To Win 10pts @ 2.38 Bet365
Goddamit, what a final, I was on the edge of my seat, and what was that all about at the end??? I was ready to jump up and down, and the signal cuts!!! My days... - 23.80pts
Over 15 frames 5pts @ 2.50 Bet365
Was there ever any doubt?? Can you believe they exchanged frames all the way to the end, good game! - 12.50pts Starting: 30pts 1st Rnd: (Stake) 18pts (Return) 17.24pts 2nd Rnd: (Stake) 18pts (Return) 15.79pts 1/4 Final: (Stake) 21pts (Return) 30.80pts 1/2 Final: (Stake) 10pts (Return) 9pts Final: (Stake) 15pts (Return) 36.30pts Total: 54.43 pts That'll do :nana Agree Paul, Good score mullet! How'd everyone else do? I'll look through and get some totals tomorrow or if you want to add your own up, feel free :) See you all for the Championship, I'll be there! ZuluWarrior

Re: Snooker: China Open Yeah well done guys. I think most of us thought that williams had a good draw. Made a tidy profit. Well done zulu. Well played sir! Lets get the thread for the world champs up soon. As i say my early selections are Murphy e/w , and Higgins, he was so unlucky in that last frame, didn't quite get the run of the balls. Looking forward to April. Hopefully will get some tickets tomoz. Take care mullet ; )

Re: Snooker: China Open Preliminary Points Results from 30pts: 1st::nana Mullet 70.8pts* :nana 2nd: :) ZuluWarrior 54.43pts :) 3rd: Paul Ross** 38.6pts 4th::cryKevshat -4.4pts:cry If you think your score is wrong or missing shout up and correct me!! Tt's only a bit 'o fun so I did them real quick... * One bet of Highest Break Hendry in 2nd round, I make both players making identical 72 breaks, didn't quite know what to do, so voided it with stake returned. Your the Clear winner anyway, good man!! ** Assuming you staked according to the confidence score you gave, so 10ptds each time... Bad luck Kevshat, it was the second Round that did you, hope you did better in the real world!! As for me, I wish I'd followed my own points bets!! I look forward to the new thread.... And well played to you too Mullet! I bow my cap to you! ZuluWarrior