Snooker: China Open

Monday 20 March 2006
Player 1Player 2bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged." align="middle">sp.gifBPP
sp.gifDe Lu v Norman (00:30 GMT)3.251.33sp.gif106%
sp.gifHarold v Qing Tan (00:30 GMT)1.184.33sp.gif108%
sp.gifChuang v Swail (04:00 GMT)5.001.14sp.gif108%
sp.gifHang v Mackenzie (04:00 GMT)3.751.25sp.gif107%
sp.gifRoe v Yin Xi (04:00 GMT)1.333.25sp.gif106%
sp.gifCope v Peng Fei (09:30 GMT)1.402.75sp.gif108%
sp.gifGunnell v Peng (09:30 GMT)1.363.00sp.gif107%
sp.gifSheng v Walden (09:30 GMT)5.501.12sp.gif108%
sp.gifTuesday 21 March 2006
Player 1Player 2bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged." align="middle">sp.gifBPP
sp.gifDoherty v Robertson (07:00 GMT)1.722.25sp.gif103%
sp.gifGray v Lee (07:00 GMT)2.621.53sp.gif104%
sp.gifHawkins v Hendry (07:00 GMT)2.501.61sp.gif102%
sp.gifHenry v Williams (11:30 GMT)3.001.44sp.gif103%
sp.gifWednesday 22 March 2006
sp.gifHolt v Murphy (00:30 GMT)2.751.53sp.gif102%
sp.gifBingham v Higgins (07:00 GMT)3.251.40sp.gif103%
sp.gifEbdon v Selby (07:00 GMT)1.722.10sp.gif106%
sp.gifO'Sullivan v Wattana (11:30 GMT)1.254.50sp.gif103%

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Snooker: China Open A couple of outright bets:

SportSnooker/Pool
EventChina
SelectionB Hawkins (Each-Way)
Strength1/10
Date19/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceStan James @ 41.00 (Back)
ReasoningHe is ranked no 8 and is in the easier top half. He faces Hendry in his first match but win there and the draw opens up for him. He has beaten Hendry in his previous two meetings. He reached the semi's in the last tournament so is in good form.
SportSnooker/Pool
EventChina
SelectionO'sullivan to win
Strength10/10
Date26/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceSportingOdds @ 5.00 (Back)
ReasoningCould depend what moood O'Sullivan is in. He is though the class act here and he is talking a good game, saying he wants to meet and beat Ding in the final here in his own backyard. I don't think he would participate here if he wasn't 100%, so I believe he will be the man to beat.

Re: Snooker: China Open I know which half of the draw I want to be in here!! My only outright bet for this event is 5pts ew B.Hawkins to win 40/1 Stan James There's no doubt the top half is easier than the bottom and with the biggest dangers to Hawkins in the top half being Hendry who he plays in the 1st round but has a good record against and Ding Junhui who Hawkins beat in the World Qualifiers last week, this price is very big. Hawkins will be in the elite top 16 next season and this is a great value bet. Am also considering a pound or two on McManus but Hawkins is my main bet. Good luck to all.

Re: Snooker: China Open

A couple of outright bets:
SportSnooker/Pool
EventChina
SelectionB Hawkins (Each-Way)
Strength1/10
Date19/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceStan James @ 41.00 (Back)
ReasoningHe is ranked no 8 and is in the easier top half. He faces Hendry in his first match but win there and the draw opens up for him. He has beaten Hendry in his previous two meetings. He reached the semi's in the last tournament so is in good form.
You beat me to it Winbet! Great minds and all that.

Re: Snooker: China Open Hey Paul & kevshat, and everyone else viewing too, fancy running a mini Points Game for the China Open? I'm thinking of just a friendly, informal comp between us to see how we each do, be good practice before the Championship, when all bets are off! Say 30pt starting balance? ZuluWarrior

Re: Snooker: China Open Agreed the top half of the draw is alot weaker than the bottom with murphy, macguire, o'sullivan and hendry in the bottom half (from recall). Williams has started to improve his form lately, i havent been too ipressed with Ding of late so at 16/1 i ll back him for small stakes 3 points Williams to win China Open at 17.00 (general) e.g. Sportingodds Hi other guys. Yeah count me in for an informal game. Good luck Her's my selections for the 1st round Lee in form. Excellent matchplay player, my nap for the 1st round 10 points Stephen Lee at 1.53 betfair Wattana always has great support in asia and you never know which o sullivan will turn up. Maybe worth backing the O'Sullivan whitewash just in case. 1 point wattana at 4.5 with StanJames Murphy is in terrific form as he s been reaching finals all season. Holt been struggling of late. 10 points Murphy at 1.54 with Stan James I don't really know much about Yu De Lu but with the home crowd he impresses in the wild card and at 4.00 looks good value as there always is a couple of shocks in any 1st round 3 points Lu at 4.00 with William Hill

Agreed the top half of the draw is alot weaker than the bottom with murphy, macguire, o'sullivan and hendry in the bottom half (from recall). Williams has started to improve his form lately, i havent been too ipressed with Ding of late so at 16/1 i ll back him for small stakes 3 points Williams to win China Open at 17.00 (general) e.g. Sportingodds Hi other guys. Yeah count me in for an informal game. Good luck
Hendry is in the top half Mullet. He's in Williams' quarter and would be a potential quarter final opponent. Higgins is another top name in the bottom half of the draw. Not sure how you can be "not too impressed" with Ding of late, he won the last ranking event he qualified for, being the UK Championships - the 2nd biggest event on the calendar. Ok he may have lost to Hawkins last week but bigger and better players have done that before now and will do it again too. Ding at home will be tough to beat as they all found out last year.

He is provisionally. Thats two of us cheering on Hawkings then Kevshat, A bit fearful he will go out in the first round.
With my recent snooker record he's nailed on to go out in the 1st round. :lol Like you said mate he's beaten Hendry before including last month at the Welsh Open where he was unlucky that he ran into Murphy at his best in the semis and his win over Ding last week should have him full of confidence. If you're up early tomorrow the Hawkins-Hendry match is on Eurosport from 7.30am.

Re: Snooker: China Open Yea, I'd have to root for Hawkins too, I agree he's got a good chance of the final, and surely he's up for it. Indeed I've had some of the action. It'll be interesting to see Williams form before the championship. Has anyone got a link to a site where I can get detailed historical form on all the world snooker players? I'm talking about individual torney performance for last couple of years, scores, frames, top 50 players or so??? I keep looking but am getting annoyed at getting abit here a bit there all the time... ZuluWarrior

Re: Snooker: China Open Here's my picks for round 1, sorry for the sparse reasoning: 1.5pt E/W (3pts total) Hawkins Outright - 41.00 StanJames Good form, he's up for it, where up for it, nothing further to add to the above comments 4pts - Perry To Win Against Gunnell - 1.57 Williams Wasn't impressed by Gunnells progress through the Wildcard round. I don't think Perry will give him the same chances as an unseeded. 4pts Murphy to win against Holt - 1.53 StanJames Murphy is on form, Holt was poor IMO in the last 2 torneys making mistakes that opponents soon capitalised on. Good value at 1.53 StanJames 3pt Williams to win against D Henry - 1.44 bet365 Williams has made the quarter final in the last 3 torneys, Drew should not pose a problem 2pt Stephens to win against MacKenzie - 1.36 bet365 MacKenzies been doing nothing of late, however not risking much here as Stephens hasn't been getting too far either this year. 2pt Accumulator: total odds 3.32 bet365 Lee to win against Gray - 1.53 Dott to win against Lu - 1.29 Higgins to win against Bingham - 1.40 Ding to win against Tian - 1.20 Total 18pts Also thinking about Williams for each way outright, but can't quite bring myself to it without studying more form. ZuluWarrior

Re: Snooker: China Open Only bet I'm having tomorrow is this. 10pts K.Doherty to beat N.Robertson 8/11 Betfred Robertson is one for the future but Doherty is always a pain in the arse to beat and after winning in Malta he's shown that he's back to some good form. I'm not usually an odds on man but I'll make an exception for this as Ken is in such good form. Paul, good luck with the Gray bet if you decide to go with it.

Re: Snooker: China Open I like to bet on the early rounds, IMHO I find the form easier (no second guess syndrome), more to pick from and you can string some handy accumulators together, that's just me though. Looking forward to Hendry V Hawkins, set my alarm for the morning. It's a long shot but look out for an upset by White early on, Whites lifetime form is just plain better than Swail and I reckon if he hits his form he'll beat Him. Good luck All!! ZuluWarrior

I like to bet on the early rounds, IMHO I find the form easier (no second guess syndrome), more to pick from and you can string some handy accumulators together, that's just me though. Looking forward to Hendry V Hawkins, set my alarm for the morning. It's a long shot but look out for an upset by White early on, Whites lifetime form is just plain better than Swail and I reckon if he hits his form he'll beat Him. Good luck All!! ZuluWarrior
When the draw was made I was thinking about Jimmy's chances against Swail and I thought along the same lines as yourself but Swail looked very good this morning in a match in which he really only had it all to lose. Swail usually comes into form around this time of the season so I think it'll be tough for Jimmy to win this, particularly on present form. The only thing I could find in his favour was I would expect him to be practicing quite hard as he won't want to lose to his practice partner at the Crucible in 4 weeks time.

Re: Snooker: China Open You where quite right there kevshat, 5-3 to Swail. Good call, I'm just racking my brains trying to see where the 1st round upsets will be (So I can avoid them). Wattana may put a fight up against Ronnie, especially with the rocket the way he is at the moment (you all know what I mean, Ronnie needs some green cloth karma...) Looks like our boy Hawkins took a spanking from Hendry, 5-1, so much for that, surely Hendrys a dead cery for a final now?? I only saw spits and spats of the game this morning, if anyone saw it how was he playing?? ZuluWarrior

Re: Snooker: China Open Well, thats day 1 out the way. Very little in the way of upsets, MacKenzie managed to beat Stevens, a suprise there, but not unexpected. Hunters taken an early bow out, but we all knew he would eventually (poor chap), and the whirlwind has run out of wind, I reckon Jimmy's top ranking snooker days are all but done now... Apart from that, everything went as the bookies expected. So what does day 2 of round 1 hold?? Murphy's on form and should handle Holt without incident, it's a pity about the time difference, as Murphy's form sorely needs re-evaluating now he's back in his game. Higgins shouldn't struggle, neither should Maguire. Gunnell did not impress on his wildcard round, and Perry should make quick work of him, provided Perry finds some sort of form. There's good value on Perry too with 1.57 at Hills, this is my pick of the day. Perhaps doubled with Murphy @1.53 for some good odds. (double odds of about 2.40) Thats the easy calls, not for the risky ones, first The Rocket V Wattana and I smell an upset. I'm giving 10/1 that Ronnie turns up jet lagged and mentally brittle (in other words moody), if Wattana finds his pace quick, Ronnies gonna go home early, and the odds are great(4.5, so a small slice of that pie for me! Dott should win against Lu, but he's the only wild card left, so can't count an upset out here. The other 2 I can't call, Ebdon V Selby ??? McManus V Cope ?????, I'd be tempted by the favourites of them both, but with Cope on a good spell of form and Selby seeming to do well, just too close to call. Anyone got any form for these 2??? On another note:

"There was some pressure and neither my fitness nor my form are particularly good. I don't think I'm playing well enough to win the tournament.
source: www.worldsnooker.com Now, if the player isn't rating his form or chances, surely It's bet against time, it's either Dott (most likely) or Lu in the next and either Swail or Roe after that, so the odds should be decent. I don't see Ding surviving against Dott or Swail, Lu as the wildcard he could beat, but no form to speak of.

:clapGood shout kevshat' date=' 17.3 pts to you! Bbut how close do you want to call them :) that one went to the wire, Doherty from 4-2 behind to win.[/quote'] Cheers ZW. To be honest I was never bothered as if I had to pick a guy to win a match from 4-2 down Doherty would be close to the top of my list. I was pretty disappointed with Hawkins. He could so easily have won that match 5-0. The 3rd frame where Hawkins led 63-0 and lost it was a big turning point. Hendry never really had to work for his chances, Hawkins missed and left him right in. Anyway onto Wednesday and there's 2 plays for me. 10pts M.Selby to beat P.Ebdon 6/5 VC Bet Selby had a good Welsh Open last month and then easily disposed of Robert Milkins in the World Qualifiers last week all of which should lead to him being full of confidence. Confidence is something that Ebdon will not have, having based himself in Dubai now he really has not had 1 good tournament this season and a repeat of his recent form may not be enough to take this. As gritty as Ebdon is hopefully Selby's recent form and confidence will see him through. 10pts J.Cope to beat A.McManus 5/6 Ladbrokes If I'm honest then before the wild card round I may well have backed McManus in this but Cope was so impressive in that round and that form on the back of a good Welsh Open where he was unlucky to lose 5-4 to Murphy in the last 16 should give him enough confidence to beat McManus. Cope is definitely going places in the game and although Angles McManus is tricky to beat I think Cope will have enough to do it. Those are my 2 main bets for Wednesday. I might have a dabble at a few of the other matches but not with the confidence of these. Good luck to all who bet.

SportSnooker/Pool
EventP.Ebdon vs M.Selby
SelectionM.Selby
Strength10/10
Date22/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceVC Bet @ 2.20 (Back)
ReasoningSelby had a good Welsh Open last month and then easily disposed of Robert Milkins in the World Qualifiers last week all of which should lead to him being full of confidence. Confidence is something that Ebdon will not have, having based himself in Dubai now he really has not had 1 good tournament this season and a repeat of his recent form may not be enough to take this. As gritty as Ebdon is hopefully Selby's recent form and confidence will see him through.

Re: Snooker: China Open Don't get me wrong but ding will be q great player for years to come and he's probably got the temperament to cope with the big matches but obviously being so young he will be inconsistent. I just feel 2nd fav at 5-6/1 is a bit tight depite winning this event last year.

Re: Snooker: China Open @ Kevshat & Paul, you called the 2 I struggled to call!! But your obviously up later than me so missed the Selby buzz. d'oh. Great reasoning BTW, cheers. @ davidmcphill, I agree, Murphys demise has completely trashed my bets for today, not a good morning so far... Oh well, theres always the evening session, for a saver!!

Re: Snooker: China Open Jusr realised I put Kevs bet up instead of mine :lol For the record, here is what I said, even though it lost.

SportSnooker/Pool
EventChina Open
SelectionMark Selby to beat Ebdon
Strength10/10
Date22/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceVC Bet @ 2.20 (Back)
ReasoningSelby is in good form at present and personally I would make him as short as a 1.70 favourite here. Ebdon is simply shocking at the moment and anyone who does back him, must be insane as he has showed nothing, a 5-0 loss to Joe Swail being his latest effort. Ebdon has never liked the best of 9 tournys anyway and he should be back on the plane shortly practising for his much loved World Championships.