** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Formula 1 Bahrain Grand Prix

Re: Formula 1 Bahrain Grand Prix First thought is Alonso shouldn't be the fav for this, but will need a lot more reading/gathering info before the final decision. If Schumacher is about to give it one last go this season, and it looks like this, he'd better start right now. However, Bahrain, with all the sand floating around, is a little bit unpredictable as far as I remember.

Re: Formula 1 Bahrain Grand Prix My first bet for the Formula 1 season will be.. Mark Webber to finish in the points @ 11/8 (Bluesq) Williams haven't been the fastest team in testing, but I feel that the Cosworth V8 will be a reliable power unit, they have been making V8's for years now and should have mastered the art. I am also tempted to back Jenson Button for a podium finish. The Honda has been lightning fast in testing, but yet again I will question reliability in the early part of the season.

Re: Formula 1 Bahrain Grand Prix

SportMotorsport
EventFormula 1 Bahrain Grand Prix
SelectionBARRICHELLO to be in the points
Strength10/10
Date12/03/2006
Bookmaker/Price>William Hill @ 1.61 (Back)
ReasoningHonda have made a lot of improvements over the winter and look to have at worst the 3rd fastest car. It's also been pretty reliable which will be so important in the early stages. I'll probably make a more risky selection over the weekend on Barrichello but this seems pretty solid. I'm certain that in terms of pace Barrichello will have no problem with getting in the top 8 and this looks generous to take a risk on the reliability. Bet365 go 1.36 on this and that looks closer to the true price than 1.61.
SportMotorsport
EventFormula 1 Bahrain
SelectionFISICHELLA to be in the points
Strength10/10
Date12/03/2006
Bookmaker/Price>William Hill @ 1.66 (Back)
ReasoningThis price looks strange, as the Renault is still very close to the absolute pace I'm sure. I'm expecting a pretty strong season from Fisi and he will need a solid start. In terms of pace I don't think he;ll have any problems getting in the top 8 and the Renault has been running very reliably in testing. A lot of bookmakers going 1.33 or 1.36 and surely that is closer to the true price.

Re: Formula 1 Bahrain Grand Prix a couple of small stake bets for me before the action gets underway tommorow Schumacher to win Bahrain Grand Prix - At the moment there are doubts about Ferrari's competitiveness and reliability. In all probability they wont be as good as Renault or Mclaren here but there is always an outside possibility that they really hook things up. With Schumacher super motivated I can see him winning this if his team deliver the goods. I seem to remember 2 years ago he absolutely dominated this race although that was when Ferrari had a super car. Currently he is at a price of 7.40 (Betfair) and I'm getting on now because I reckon It's a bit of value. Also if the Ferrari impresses in practice then the price will go dramatically down. I stake 3 units on this Button to win Bahrain Grand Prix - The talk has been that Honda are in good shape ahead of this race. There are always going to be doubts about competitiveness and reliability but Button is currently @ 11.0 (Betdaq) to win this race. Now its true the man has never won a race before but if hes in a really competitive car then he has every chance. If he impresses in practice and qualifying then this price will go immediately. 2 unit stake for me

SportMotorsport
EventFormula 1 Bahrain
SelectionLIUZZI to finish in the points
Strength10/10
Date12/03/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Paddy Power @ 4.50 (Back)
ReasoningOK, this could turn out to look a little stupid, but I'm willing to give it a go. There are still rumours around about how much of an edge STR are getting running the detuned V10 and the markey has really moved today. Liuzzi was 5.50-6.00 yesterday and now is mostly 3.00-3.50 with Paddies stand out at 4.50. Klien is the 'superior' Red Bull is 5.50 to get into the points so this is quite strange. Personally when I saw the equivilancy formula a few months ago I thought it was a little lenient, a I expect it to be changed very quickly. Liuzzi was solid enough when he drove last year and I think he's worth a pop. Even if they haven't got top 8 pace, this is very similar to last years Red Bull and with a V10 not maxing out it should be very reliable and will have a chance. Same principles apply to Speed, but from what I've seen of him I don't think he's ready, and a price of 5.00 doesn't appeal on him.

Re: Formula 1 Bahrain Grand Prix This market is class:lol :lol :lol

SportMotorsport
EventFormula 1 Bahrain Free Practice 1
SelectionDAVIDSON
Strength10/10
Date10/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceBetandWin @ 2.00 (Back)
ReasoningThis is a really strange market from betandwin but I like it. The big guns certainly won't be doing much running and any they do will be at reduced revs as they need to save the engine, especially with the amount of laps they will have to do in qualifying. This leaves the stage for the 3rd drivers. I really rate Davidson and he was often top of the time sheets when he did this job in 2004. Honda have been flying in testing, the car looks great, and they are one of the only teams (with Ferrari and STR) to have done a hot weather test in Bahrain. I think this is a great opportunity; Davidsons main compeition will come from Wurz in the Williams, but at this point I think Honda are way ahead of Williams and this looks a good even money shot to me.

He didn't even bother to do a ****ing lap:lol :lol :lol :lol :wall :wall
Maybe not in the first session, but he did 28 in the second session and ended up fastest :ok Michael Schumacher was 2nd ahead of Williams tester Alex Wurz and Felipe Massa

Tip Detail
SportMotorsport
EventBahrain Grand Prix
SelectionButton Points Finish
Strength10/10
Date12/03/2006
Bookmaker/Price>William Hill @ 1.50 (Back)
ReasoningButton will be a force this season and I'm stunned to see him as big as 1.50 to be top 8 considering how well the Honda is going. McLaren seem to be getting all the hype, but while they do look very fast, they're reliability is not good at present with big overheating problems. Button needs a clear run and he's certain to be top 8.

Tip Detail
SportMotorsport
EventBahrain Grand Prix
SelectionBarrichello Points Finish
Strength10/10
Date12/03/2006
Bookmaker/Price>William Hill @ 1.66 (Back)
ReasoningSame as Button, Rubens is in the same car and expected to do well. The Hills odds compiler has clearly been hitting the whisky bottle putting him in @ 1.66 for a points finish and a clear run will see him duly punished.

Tip Detail
SportMotorsport
EventBahrain Grand Prix
SelectionHeidfeld to beat Villeneuve, Heidfeld to get in the points
Strength5/10 both bets
Date12/03/2006
Bookmaker/Price>William Hill @ 1.72 (Back), William Hill @ 4.
ReasoningHeidfeld is a good driver and Villenueve is not. Villenueve has underperformed for a long time and I can not see him beating Heidfeld in many of the grand prixs. Heidfeld looks pretty good too, so I will also be backing him to get in the points.
Tip Detail
SportMotorsport
EventBahrain Grand Prix
SelectionMontoya to beat Raikkonnen in qualifying
Strength5/10
Date11/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceStan James 2.88
ReasoningYes Raikkonnen is the favourite in this bet, but the price has drifted far to far and there is value here by backing Montoya. I think Montoya was about 2.5 but now is 2.88, a price I am willing to take.
Tip Detail
SportMotorsport
EventBahrain Grand Prix
SelectionButton to win and Button to be on Pole
Strength2/10 and 3/10
Date11/03/2006 and 12th
Bookmaker/Price8 Betfair and 7.2 Betfair (Back)
ReasoningI think Button this season has a real chance of getting a win, and the car is going well at the moment, so this is one of the best chances he has. The McLaren and Ferrari seem unrealible which only leaves the Renaults. This is not a dead cert, but I reckon Button will push the Renaults (lets hope so anyway).

SportMotorsport
EventFormula 1 Bahrain
SelectionWEBBER v Rosberg and HEIDFELD v Villeneuve
Strength10/10
Date12/03/2006
Bookmaker/Price>William Hill @ 2.96 (Back)
ReasoningBoth are @ 1.72 Will Hill are allowing the double on this which is a little surprising but it makes me want to have a go. Rosberg in his first race I can't see having the consistant pace to keep up with Webber who I'm expecting a decent race from. Webber also should be a lot stronger in qualifying and should be at least a couple of places ahead of Nico on the grid. Villeneuve is really poor and nowhere near the level of Heidfeld I feel. I can't see Villeneuve having the pace of Heidfeld and from the practice sessions so far it looks like he is really struggling with the setup. A solid performance from Heidfeld should have him well ahead of Villeneuve. If Webber and Heidfeld can finish this is very likely to come off I feel.

SportMotorsport
EventFormula 1 Bahrain Qualifying
SelectionALONSO
Strength10/10
Date11/03/2006
Bookmaker/Price>William Hill @ 4.33 (Back)
ReasoningI think Alonso is very backable at this price. Schumachers price has come down a bit after strong practice times but they were late in the session when he put new tyres on. Can't see the Ferrari being on the pace of the Renault if they go for similar fuel loads. The McLarens seem to have a lot of problems - Kimi had an electrical fire and Montoya is convinced his engine is down on power. The running they did get done wasn't great and the car doesn't look 'sharp'. So that leaves Honda - yeah they've looked good in testing and in practice - but I still think the Renault, in the hands of Alonso, has a couple of tenths on them.

SportMotorsport
SelectionCoulthard to beat Klien
Strength4/10
Date11/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceStan James @ 2.2 (Back)
ReasoningLittle time to explain. Format of qualifying has changed and expect that it will suit Coulthard more. Be a tight match up, but may be Coulthard a little bit favourite here.

SportMotorsport
SelectionFisichella to be on pole e/w
Strength2/10
Date11/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceStan James 11
ReasoningFisichella was poor last year, but this car definetly suits him more, I expect Fisichella to have a much stronger season than last year. Each way bet is worth a punt, as he should get in the top three.

Re: Formula 1 Bahrain Grand Prix I am on Alonso to win the race as well as the overall championship.

SportMotorsport
EventF1 Bahrain
SelectionAlonso to win
Strength5/10
Date12/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceSkybet @ 3.75 (Back)
ReasoningAlonso has the consistency to repeat last years Bahrain win. His car is more reliable than ferrari or mclaren who still have issues over reliability. Alonso has the talent and tactical awareness around the circuit to come up trumps again.
It looks a good call with your webber/heidfield double Mr Intensity. Also Liuzzi looks a good shout for a points finish. I have backed and laid back on betfair. They weren't trying in todays practice and feeling is they will go well in this race, but the car may well be penalised further in future race for using the v10 engine against the rest who are using v8's.

Re: Formula 1 Bahrain Grand Prix Very average performance from Renault in the final session - apparently Fisi has a little problem with the engine not at full power which is a concern for tomorrow. Surely Alonso is carrying a lot of fuel but he's not in a great position behind Ferraris AND Button. Honda didn't look that great to me either. Button was alright but Barrichello struggled in all 3 sessions and I'm not quite sure what's going on there. Unlucky for Kimi, could be a decent price to oppose him getting into the points as I don't think the car it that hot - probably slower in 'real' pace than the Ferrari, Renault and Honda. However, he will get to pick his strategy, which should help him get some of the way back up. Montoya still complaining that his engine isn't right and that doesn't bode well, as he certainly didn't look quick at any point. So that leaves the Ferraris - and how light are they? I think Massa is rather light, he looked a bit quicker than Schumi in the final session and would have got pole if Fisi wasn't in his way. So I think Schumi could have a very decent fuel load and thus looks strong. Looking lower down, strong performances from Webber, Klien and Heidfeld to get into the top 10. However, those guys strategies will be interesting as they are vunerable to guys coming from a bit further back with optimal strategies (really don't like that rule:\). So people like Villeneuve, Rosberg, Coulthard and Trulli could be worth a pop for getting into the points. The pick out of those for me will probably be Rosberg who looked pretty decent but had a spin in the 2nd session which stopped him getting into the top 10 - pretty sure he would have had the pace. Toyota look really poor and I can't see them getting near the points. Not impressed with STR, but the advantage they have is that the V10 will not be under much stress during the race - also, they have better accelaration at low speeds so perhaps will have an edge at the start? I'm not sure, but hopefully Liuzzi will get a flyer then perhpas getting out fo the corners quickly will be able to make some moves, but from 15th it's a big ask to get to the points (especially with Kimi behind so really he's 16th):hope. Any thoughts? I've probably missed some stuff as that qualifying was pretty hectic:loon

Re: Formula 1 Bahrain Grand Prix Couple more things: That BMW looks pretty decent, a lot better than I expected. To get Villeneuve into 11th it must be good! The engine should be pretty solid and I think Heidfeld will be alright tomorrow as they didn't look to go for a too aggressive strategy in the final session. Really, really like the look of this Williams. It looks very sharp going into the corners and has good traction aswell. Engine looks pretty strong too. Both Webber and Rosberg should be looking for decent finishes and both had top 10 pace. The only concern is the Cosworth V8 is rumoured to be revving to 20000rpm:loon - will it be reliable at that level?

SportMotorsport
EventBahrain Grand Prix
SelectionNo Safety Car
Strength10/10
Date12/03/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.68 (Back)
ReasoningI see no reason why this price is so high. Bahrain is in it's 3rd year as an F1 circuit and has no history of a safety car been used as far as I can remember and looking through reports backs that up. Bahrain's weather forecast is sun, sun and more sun, so rain won't strengthen the safety car chances. The first corner has no history of big problems either, so besides a major pile up, I just cannot see the safety car been used.

SportMotorsport
EventBahrain Grand Prix
SelectionRaikkonen Points Finish
Strength10/10
Date12/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceSportingOdds @ 2.00 (Back)
ReasoningMassive error by Sportingodds here on Raikkonen to be top 8. Sure, he starts from the back of the grid, but he'll probably have made 6 places by the first corner such are the carthorses in front of him. Raikkonen had the same problem last year in the Italian Grand Prix and still finished a very comfortable 4th. If the Mclaren is 100% and stays on the track, he will be in the points, of that I have no doubt. Price as low as 1.57 in places, but no higher than 1.70.

SportMotorsport
EventBahrain Grand Prix
SelectionRaikkonen Points Finish
Strength10/10
Date12/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceSportingOdds @ 2.00 (Back)
ReasoningMassive error by Sportingodds here on Raikkonen to be top 8. Sure, he starts from the back of the grid, but he'll probably have made 6 places by the first corner such are the carthorses in front of him. Raikkonen had the same problem last year in the Italian Grand Prix and still finished a very comfortable 4th. If the Mclaren is 100% and stays on the track, he will be in the points, of that I have no doubt. Price as low as 1.57 in places, but no higher than 1.70.
Thats a great spot Paul ..................... the reliability of the Mclaren is the only worry, but as you say as long as it keeps going i don't see him missing the points positions :ok Its definately overpriced imo:D :cheers

SportMotorsport
EventFormula 1 Bahrain to finish in points
SelectionROSBERG
Strength10/10
Date12/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceSportingOdds @ 3.50 (Back)
ReasoningI'm very interested in Rosberg at this price. He showed some good pace in qualifying but had a little accident which stopped him progressing from the 2nd session. But now he is in pretty much the ideal position - in 12th and gets to choose the optimal strategy for the race. The Williams has been looking pretty strong all weekend and so long as there are no reliability problems he should be able to get into the top 10 then into the points.

SportMotorsport
EventFormula 1 Bahrain to finish in the points
SelectionWEBBER
Strength10/10
Date12/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceSportingOdds @ 2.37 (Back)
ReasoningAnother large price from Sporting Odds. I don't know what they're on - they even have Heidfeld and Trulli at shorter prices which is crazy. Webber has looked good all weekend and starting 7th he's got a great chance to score some decent points. Certainly not an odds against shot IMO.

SportMotorsport
EventBahrain Grand Prix
SelectionRaikkonen to beat Ralf Schumacher
Strength10/10
Date12/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceSportingOdds @ 1.83 (Back)
ReasoningEither the F1 Sportingodds compiler is being very brave, or he is a) drinking very heavily or b) smoking something illegal. Raikkonen and Ralf are evenly matched apparently??? Well that's news to me! Mclaren will romp all over the Toyota and again this bet simply comes down to Mclaren reliability, but the price more than compensates for it. Ralf is 17th and Kimi 22nd, once he passes Ralf, he'll be away and gone.

SportMotorsport
EventFormula 1 Bahrain
SelectionBARRICHELLO v Fisichella
Strength10/10
Date12/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceStan James @ 2.00 (Back)
ReasoningNot exactly sure why Fisi is being favoured in this one. Both struggled in qualifying, but Fisichella more so. I think Barris problems were mainly set up based and something that could be rectified or even just feel better tomorrow. But Fisi has problems, from Pat Symonds ""We seemed to lose an awful lot of engine performance as we turned the engine up for his hot laps," he said. "We are really at a bit of a loss. We can see on our telemetry data that there is something wrong, but quite what it is we don't know." That doesn't sound too great to me. With Barri starting 6th and Fisi 9th I think it will be a very tough challenge for Fisi to win this, and Barri should certainly start it as favourite.

SportMotorsport
EventFormula 1 Bahrain
SelectionDual Forecast: M SCHUMACHER / ALONSO
Strength10/10
Date12/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceLadbrokes @ 3.50 (Back)
ReasoningThis bet is the first two drivers in any order and I think it's definately worth a go. Despite cocking up the final section of qualifying Alonso looks very strong and very quick and will most likely be the fastest driver in the race. I can certainly see him getting past Button (probably at the start) and Massa who looks pretty light and I think will feel the pressure of Alonso all over him in the early stages. But Schumacher is a different matter, I think he'll be very strong and will have a pretty decent fuel load, but not as much as Alonso. I can see these two moving away from the rest, but not sure if Schumacher will have enough pace to keep Alonso back, especially if they turn out to be on different strategies.

SportMotorsport
EventBahrain Grand Prix
SelectionBarrichello to beat Fisichella
Strength10/10
Date12/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceStan James @ 2.00 (Back)
ReasoningThis is another superb price for Bahrain! Rubens is 6th on the grid, and Fisi 9th, but the reasoning doesn't end there. Here's Rubens comments after qualifying: Rubens Barrichello, Honda (6th): "I think it was okay to be 6th today because I was struggling big time with the set-up of the car through yesterday and this morning. We analysed the problem earlier today and we felt sure there was room for improvement, so we changed things for qualifying and it was a little better. Now we just need to see what the race brings tomorrow." So, basically the setup of the car is giving him a few problems, no big deal really and usually sorted for race time with a few adjustments. Here are Fisi's comments: “I am really disappointed to be only ninth. We saw the car was competitive in the two qualifying Heats, as we could set good times quite easily. Things were running smoothly, until I put the new tyres on and suddenly the performance was not there - lost a lot of speed, and just couldn't do the times we should have been capable of. We don't know why yet, so we will be looking carefully tonight. Still, I think it was quite an exciting hour for the spectators with lots happening on track, and we have a good strategy. Even from ninth, we can have a strong race.” Clearly a serious problem with the engine of Fisi's car, and they are not allowed to change it. He is going to have a job getting above Rubens as it is, but with his car in such dodgy shape, his chances are very slim, if they cannot fix them. Rubens should be the favourite here, no question.

Re: Formula 1 Bahrain Grand Prix I notice on Betfair MSchumacher and Alonso are both trading at about 1.3 for a points finish, i really cant see this not happening. Out of the 22 drivers only half can be seriously expected to go near the points unless we get carnage which this track doesnt look that type and the weather is good, so its down to reliability and these two cars look good on that front. Surely its just buying money isnt it? We will soon see! Best of luck guys with your bets.