** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

10K$ Freeroll Thursday

cains

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 10K$ Freeroll Thursday Finished in 38th rather poorly, was BB and got pocket 4s, got one small raise by the player next to the small blind so I call. flop 5 6 10 figure they would have A something so go all in with my last 8k chips, player revels AQ, so of course the turn is a Q.... Perhaps I should have folded pre flop, but was under half the aveage stack so supposed I had to make my move sometime. Still $40 dollars can't complain.

Re: 10K$ Freeroll Thursday Well done - top placed non scandanavian nice one Damo :cheers

Finished in 38th rather poorly' date=' was BB and got pocket 4s, got one small raise by the player next to the small blind so I call. flop 5 6 10 figure they would have A something so go all in with my last 8k chips, player revels AQ, so of course the turn is a Q.... Perhaps I should have folded pre flop, but was under half the aveage stack so supposed I had to make my move sometime. Still $40 dollars can't complain.[/quote']

Re: 10K$ Freeroll Thursday Hi I only found this site yesterday, after someone mentioning it in the Maxim Tourney. Anyway, saw the Mermaid Poker 10k, regged (for free yay!) and managed a semi respectable 62th place and a $20 win. I recognise i few of the names on here from the Maxim Tourney - thanks for the tip guys and i`ll see you in next Thursdays 10k Freeroll. Good Luck in VC today guys, SupporTech

Re: 10K$ Freeroll Thursday Mr B - wd, great result out of 1500 players. Most scandanavians are very loose players, and get very lucky most of the time. I always try to aviod them if playing STT's. Did you deposit money before tourney or not? If not, did you get to your $40 and can you withdraw it? Hayward - Rednutt already mentioned earlier that the exchange rate is different between depositing and withdrawing... a BIG rip-off! I also found the same on Gala Poker. I sent an email to both Gala and WebDollar (who run the money side of thigs), but have not had a reply). I'll be damned if I'm going to deposit anything to these sites. And if that means not being able to play any of their freerolls, then so be it - there are plenty of others. Supporttech - same question to you as Mr B... did you deposit any money before tourney, and if not, can you get to your $20 winnings?

Re: 10K$ Freeroll Thursday WD Mr B!!!!:clap:clap:clap:clap :clap:clap Though a generalization about a nationality has as many exceptions as it does examples, I personally reckon the Scandinavians are better players on average than anywhere else in the world. As evidenced by their huge and disproportionate representation at the top of the game. Stylistically they tend to bet big and fold big, which can give the impression of looseness, but as a rule it's very much controlled aggression - seems they devote a lot of time to discussing and analysing hands without ego, which is probably the reason why. And lest it seem like I always disagree with you thepro :D - agree totally that the webdollar thing is a rip off. To put in a tiny fraction difference to cover operation costs would maybe be reasonable, but it's a huge difference. Imagine how much you'd be losing if you were depositing and withdrawing 5 figure sums to play their high stakes tables.

Re: 10K$ Freeroll Thursday

Hi I only found this site yesterday, after someone mentioning it in the Maxim Tourney. Anyway, saw the Mermaid Poker 10k, regged (for free yay!) and managed a semi respectable 62th place and a $20 win. I recognise i few of the names on here from the Maxim Tourney - thanks for the tip guys and i`ll see you in next Thursdays 10k Freeroll. Good Luck in VC today guys, SupporTech
Hiya Supportech :welcome to PuntersLounge. Congratulations on your win yesterday, and best of luck in the VC/Maxim.:ok What usernames do you go by (if not supportech), so that we can say Hi on the tables?

Re: 10K$ Freeroll Thursday Sorry GuessWest, I've got to disagree. My opinion only, but most Scandanavians think they're Gus Hansen and play like him. They will play any 2 cards and if there's half a chance of getting something they will chase and rely 100% on luck. That, to me, is not the sign of a good player. I neither like nor rate either Gus Hansen or 99% of the other Scandanavian players.

Re: 10K$ Freeroll Thursday Ok fair enough, will agree to disagree on the issue of Scandinavian players generally. But - Hansen? He's won 3 WPT events and had a few final tables on top of that - bearing in mind the strength and depth of the field, and that being over only two seasons - that's possibly the single most impressive tournament feat any player has ever achieved. Surely it's an issue of fact rather than opinion that he's an extraordinarily good player? How else do we judge it but by recurring results? Of course I'm biased because I think Hansen's amazing (and extremely mathematical on top of all the flair play!).

Re: 10K$ Freeroll Thursday I think Gus Hansen is a complete and utter nutcase. If I ever had the chance to sit at the same table as him I would take 2 things; My autograph book, and a gun. :lol In all honesty the potted highlights we get to see may only re-inforce public perception of him (and other players too). The fact that the poker programs are so short in comparison to the actual length of these tourneys is bound to give a misconception that most new players believe, and that is playing 8 10os for $1.5 million seems easy. They don't see the fact that these plays are made (often) at the end of several days of concentrated competition. Until we get the opportunity ourselves it is really difficult to comment on from a critical angle, imo. I do agree with both of you regarding Gus Hansen. I love to see him in these programs, but man I'd hate to play him. I also think its discourteous to be so critical of Scandinavians when one has given us more than one opportunity to play in freerolls us English-speaking people wouldn't have known about (which ended up with Gaf? 'sat' with Bengt Sonnert - I think).

Re: 10K$ Freeroll Thursday I don't think people are being discourteous (and certainly not in a malicious way). Just commenting on the play they saw. Having played on the freeroll the other night against a table of scandanavians virtually every hand had 7 or 8 players in, all limping (hence my post about my new strategy on the night - ALL IN :)) with any 2, and I mean any 2! From my perception the other night most played loose passive, and yes there were some monster bad beats Q4 off hitting runner runner turn and river to beat a 2 pr on the raggedy flop who bet the pot (obviously bluffing:eek , so Mr Q4 though his Q was good as a high card - he hit 4 4 BTW....) K3o also won, depite no K on the flop and a bet + reraise (which he called) - are these bad players? no, they just don't play ABC poker You are (generally) correct re Gus/TV highlights and the fact they show only the 'exciting' hands, tho if you saw the British Poker Open (which showed every hand) on Sky you would have seen that Gus does actually play that loose MOST of the time - the reason he did so well initially is that he was part of a new breed of players who did play like that, so the 'old' pro's couldn't cope - how many big tounry's has Gus won recently/finished on top table/ top twenty? The only LAG pro who seems to be doing well regularly is Phil Ivey (Dan N? any recent wins?) Aside: A few moments stand out for me watching Gus on the BPO, the first when Devilfish had trips, and correctly called Gus's hand on the River (AK when an A hit the river), Gus bet, Dave said Gus's hand then raised him, knowing Gus would call - AWESOME play, and Gus called :dude The play that Mel made after Gus knocked out Roy the Boy - Devilfish (commenting at this point) had just said that he didn't expect the 2 amateurs to have a chance against him, Mel had 26off, Gus raised and she reraised him, gus folded his hand - BRILLIANT play by Mel. And Devilfish's quote, "I would swim through shark infested waters with a lamb chop around my neck to play Gus" :) Damo :cheers

I think Gus Hansen is a complete and utter nutcase. If I ever had the chance to sit at the same table as him I would take 2 things; In all honesty the potted highlights we get to see may only re-inforce public perception of him (and other players too). The fact that the poker programs are so short in comparison to the actual length of these tourneys is bound to give a misconception that most new players believe, and that is playing 8 10os for $1.5 million seems easy. They don't see the fact that these plays are made (often) at the end of several days of concentrated competition. Until we get the opportunity ourselves it is really difficult to comment on from a critical angle, imo. I do agree with both of you regarding Gus Hansen. I love to see him in these programs, but man I'd hate to play him. I also think its discourteous to be so critical of Scandinavians when one has given us more than one opportunity to play in freerolls us English-speaking people wouldn't have known about (which ended up with Gaf? 'sat' with Bengt Sonnert - I think).