Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006)

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006)

Mr I (and others if they wish) as I said earlier in the week I know precious little about tennis but am considering a bet on Kiefer to beat Ferrero. Is this wise? I remember that Kiefer took a set of Federer in the US Open which to me seems like a decent effort and with him being odds against tonight I thought I'd back him for a bit of interest.
Kiefer is pretty erratic at times and quite honestly, Kiefer-Ferrero is effectively a flip of the coin in my book - that said, be warned : I'd tipped Kiefer and if my luck this week is anything to go by, Ferrero will probably take this in straight sets now... :lol In all seriousness, Kiefer was expected to prevail against Srichaphan, but I'm beginning to wonder how much his 5-set exploits must have taken out of him - I know Ferrero went 5 sets against Tipsarevic too, but Ferrero won his other match in straight sets(against Zib) as opposed to Kiefer beating Pashanski 3-1. I just feel Kiefer will be the better bet here(even though past records at the Aus Open obviously suggests otherwise) as Ferrero's still not found the sort of rhythm we know he's capable of...

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) I dont know much thing bout tennis, but i first heard of baghdatis like 8 years ago as a teenager and he has impressed me. anyway, i bet a small amount on him @6 just for the fun of it. can someone tell me in CET when his match will be played and if eurosport will cover it live?

Bloody hell ed I hope you're wrong with two of those:lol
How I could do with some of the luck :wall after I'd retired for this tourny when I was punting... :rollin :rollin
I dont know much thing bout tennis, but i first heard of baghdatis like 8 years ago as a teenager and he has impressed me. anyway, i bet a small amount on him @6 just for the fun of it. can someone tell me in CET when his match will be played and if eurosport will cover it live?
The Baghdatis-Roddick match will start as soon as the Bryan/Bryan-Kerr/Parrott(Men's Doubles) and Davenport-Kuznetsova(Women's Singles) matches end - in tennis, there's no fixed starting time unless they are happened to be scheduled at the start of a day/session. For this session, the Bryan/Bryan-Kerr/Parrott match will start at 2am CET(if I remember correctly CET is actually GMT +2)...

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) A profit made last night, it's a shame Coria couldn't be bothered. CORIA v Grosjean @ 2.41 Pinnacle 2pts :@ LOST loss 2pts CHELA v Vliegen @ 1.50 William Hill 4pts :D WON profit 2pts HINGIS v Benesova @ 1.203 Pinnacle 8pts :D WON profit 1.624pts W/L = 20/18 Staked = 146pts Profit = -5.918pts Yield = -4.05%

i think CET is GMT+1 but will these matches be covered live by europosrt? i suppose u mean they will start at 2am of sunday?
To do away with the technicalities, let me briefly summarise : if you're from the region which shares the same timezone as Germany and France, then the matches(Bryan/Bryan v Kerr/Parrott) will start at 1am - CET is the timezone in that part of the world in the summer(equivalent of BST in UK although BST is an hour behind CET).

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) JOHANSSON v Ljubicic @ 2.75 Bet365 2pts I didn't think Johansson was playing that well when I saw him playing Malisse but to be fair to him he really stepped up and played really well against Simon. Johansson has a very strong record here and of course is a former champion. He is certainly a much better Grand Slam player than Ljubicic. Ljubicic beat Lopez in 3 sets in his last match but for 2 sets it was tight and Lopez had some chances which gives me confidence in Johansson here. Johansson has a very underrated return of serve I feel - he is 8-2 in his last 10 matches against "big servers" (loses to Karlovic at Queens and Ljubicic indoors in Rotterdam). That brings us to the H2H - Johansson leads 3-2 but Ljubicic won the last two indoors last year. The important thing I feel is that all of the matches have been close and I'd expect this one to be too. Being a night match, decent chance it will be with the roof on making it effectively an indoor match which Ljubicic will like, but still the surface is slower than other hard courts so it won't be like the European indoor tournaments we saw Ljubicic kick ass on late last year. Anyway, Johansson also has a cracking serve, so making it indoors could simply make it tighter, making the dog price more likeable. The Grand Slam stats that I cited before Ljubicics last match still stand, and this is the first time he has ever made the 4th round of a slam - of course he is favourite because he is playing so well, but at these prices we have to look at the expereicne and Grand Slam pedigree of Johansson. FERRER v Santoro @ 1.44 William Hill 4pts I can't believe that I'm backing Ferrer to make the quarter finals of this Grand Slam but that is the situation we are faced with. In his last match Santoro was totally exhausted, he is getting on a bit now and I simply cannot see him recovering in time. Bing tired, one of the last guys you want to face is Ferrer, who will make Santoro run and run and run. Santoro has never reacher the quarters of a slam in singles and ages 33 in this type of heat I simply cannot see him doing it. In Santoros favour this will be a similar sort of matchup to his last against Gaudio, however, Ferrer is quicker and mentally a lot stronger. Ferrer has put in some great performances beating Serra, Braccialli and Ancic - he must come into this with a lot of confidence and is certainly surprising me with some of the results he is producing. Even looking at his hard court record in the past 12 months is quite surprising - he is 19-7 compared to Santoros 14-10. This may not be pretty from Ferrer, but I'm sure he will be able to grind Santoro out. SHARAPOVA v Hantuchova @ 1.262 Pinnacle 8pts Battle of the babes and I have to choose the blonde. Maria was very strong in her last match even though I think she forgot to put on her tennis dress. It's the best I've seen her play for a long time and she looks to be injury free for the first time in a long time. Hantuchova beat Serena but Williams played a terrible match, and still Daniela tried to choke when having match points. Maria is certainly stronger mentally I expect to see another very strong performance from her. H2H is 3-1 to Sharapova and she has won the last 3 meetings. Close to a play on Roddick but because of the outright action, I'm going to leave it unless I can get a price of 1.20. Also thinking of Nalbandian but would want a price of 1.50.

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) Once again, my gut feeling tells me Davenport, Sharapova, Petrova, Nalbandian and Roddick are odds-on to win their games and should make for a pretty handy acca. :rollin That said, I do think there's tremendous value in both the other men's underdogs though - Johansson is a battle-hardened player who has seen it all at this level; Ljubicic hasn't and this will be a real test of his bottle as well as discipline against a machine who hardly lets his emotions get to him. Similarly, Santoro has rolled back the years a little in recent times and I do feel he will push Ferrer really hard - Ferrer is still a bit overrated in my view and this should be closer to a 50-50 match. Good luck if anyone's following my advice... :lol

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) FERRER v Santoro @1.40 40pts Surely this has to come in.Santoro will be drawing his pension soon and the heat has got to affect him with the amount of sets already played. Saw some of the Federer match,made Mirnyi look silly!!! and as for Coria think he's been taking serving lessons off Dementieva!! W/L 6-2 Starting bank 100pts Current bank 94pts

and as for Coria think he's been taking serving lessons off Dementieva!!
Found out he had cramp in his right hand from pretty much the beginning of the match. Then got a cut in his left hand at the beginning of the 4th set which affected his backhand. I guess it wasn't going to be his/our day:eyes

To do away with the technicalities' date=' let me briefly summarise : if you're from the region which [b']shares the same timezone as Germany and France, then the matches(Bryan/Bryan v Kerr/Parrott) will start at 1am - CET is the timezone in that part of the world in the summer(equivalent of BST in UK although BST is an hour behind CET).
CET stands for Central European Time and it is GMT +1 hour. This is the standard time, in the summer this timezone switches to CEST/CEDT (Central European Summer or Daylight time). Arcadios, the difference between time in Melbourne (EST) and Greece (EET) is 9 hours, so you can recalculate times from the official schedule of play. EET = EST - 9 hours

CET stands for Central European Time and it is GMT +1 hour. This is the standard time, in the summer this timezone switches to CEST/CEDT (Central European Summer or Daylight time). Arcadios, the difference between time in Melbourne (EST) and Greece (EET) is 9 hours, so you can recalculate times from the official schedule of play. EET = EST - 9 hours
I couldn't remember the abbreviations for the various timezones in Europe since I haven't been living there for more than a decade :lol , although in essence the principle was right. Arkadios, to solve your problem in future, refer to http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/eu/cet.html and do the necessary conversions for any sporting events from there. ;)

I dont know much thing bout tennis, but i first heard of baghdatis like 8 years ago as a teenager and he has impressed me. anyway, i bet a small amount on him @6 just for the fun of it. can someone tell me in CET when his match will be played and if eurosport will cover it live?
Baghdatis has just taken the first set 6-4 in his match against Roddick... :tongue2

Top shout there Arkadios:ok

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) I watched hi last year against Federer I think and he really impressed me in that match far more than our hyped up teen Andy Murray. He's sure to have a big future in the game as will Murray I'm sure. Great news for Cypriot sport.

i heard he was having a mass support in the courts throughout the tournament, u know any sites with photos from the match or is it too early?
Great call mate on Baghdatis - he really seems to turn it on down here. He has some great support from the "sweaty dudes". I'll try and find some pics.

i heard he was having a mass support in the courts throughout the tournament' date=' u know any sites with photos from the match or is it too early?[/quote'] I watched the match and his small contingent of support would probably have been better suited to a football match than a game of tennis - that said, you can't complain about their vociferous support though as they were sporting enough to keep their mouths shut(unlike those mugs you see at Roland Garros every year) when players are about to serve or when a point is in play. :) Don't think any picture could capture the mood and atmosphere during the match itself though. Good to see Baghdatis through, but the defeat of Roddick has clearly opened up that half of the draw - Santoro, Nalbandian, Baghdatis and Ljubicic(looking that way as I write) should provide some entertainment. That said, I'd still expect to see a Nalbandian-Baghdatis semis... :hope

Roddick is a muppet, lost my outright bet on him to win AO as well. Sharapova must win now, just hope she is healthy and takes the title. Only player that really stands in her way is Henin-H, cos she always beats Petrova and Davenport.
If everyone who lost was a muppet(and I don't think you'd be any better off than one yourself if you'd honestly though you thought Roddick had a serious shot at the title), then I think you'd be better off staying clear of the bookies since chances are you'd end up backing one of the 125 muppets at one point or another...

If everyone who lost was a muppet(and I don't think you'd be any better off than one yourself if you'd honestly though you thought Roddick had a serious shot at the title)' date=' then I think you'd be better off staying clear of the bookies since chances are you'd end up backing one of the 125 muppets at one point or another...[/quote'] No, you are a muppet if you are the overwelming favourite losing to a no name. Its not like Roddick was injured, he was fully healthy.