** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Cheltenham 2024 Ideas and fancies. (Feel free to add your opinions)

Best advice at this present time before you do much else is to go on the Racing Post website and study the results from last year you will find many clues especially for the handicaps. It is good to remind yourself of all those horses that were tipped up (bankers) and failed, you can also find unlucky losers or horses that ran well in defeat. I don't like these stable interviews that have and are being bandied about at the moment. far better to go listen to what the trainers said at the start of the season because they get a bit secretive from about 4 weeks before the festival. Great example Mullins highlighted Galopin des champs at the start of 2022 (if memory serves, could have been 2021) but never mentioned it in his interview just before that festival can you believe it was in a handicap and pissed in at 8/1, a gold cup winner in a fookin handicap cheeky bleeders. Corach Rambler in the gold cup is a goer for me at the price. Remember Hedgehunter winning the GN then following year finished 2nd in the gold cup (66/1 if i rem correctly) before finishing 2nd in the GN.

Edited by Zilzalian

• Zilzalian changed the title to Cheltenham 2024 Ideas and fancies. (Feel free to add your opinions)

The cat is going right among the pigeons if this weather stays warm and the course turns good or good to firm. i think nearly all form this year has been on softer ground. Its going to throw up some silly results and we will lose a lot of runners so be careful with your AP bets and adjust your thinking accordingly.

3 hours ago, Zilzalian said:

The cat is going right among the pigeons if this weather stays warm and the course turns good or good to firm. i think nearly all form this year has been on softer ground. Its going to throw up some silly results and we will lose a lot of runners so be careful with your AP bets and adjust your thinking accordingly.

Cheltenham has rain on the map via BBC app ( not the most reliable ) from Saturday through to Friday with only showers forecast on Sunday .

As a cyclist no weather app's & or forecasts are reliable nowadays even with all the extra data at their disposal .

One things for sure , it won't be raining on my sofa , only tears of joy 😆

6 hours ago, calva decoy said:

Cheltenham has rain on the map via BBC app ( not the most reliable ) from Saturday through to Friday with only showers forecast on Sunday .

As a cyclist no weather app's & or forecasts are reliable nowadays even with all the extra data at their disposal .

One things for sure , it won't be raining on my sofa , only tears of joy 😆

I said last year Calva that this course has the most unbelievable drainage system, i have seen it in action it's very impressive.

I've just been happily sitting waiting for Cheltenham so I'm starting to wake up now ready for action .....just on the hunt for some value bets and there will be lots this year given the state of the ground in the run up races ......my current ratings for the champion hurdle day 1 ...

State man 9.2 4/11 

Pied piper. 8.7 

Nemean lion 8.6 

Echoes in rain  8.2 

Fils douderies.  8.1 

State man should win this barring any drama ..  he's probably 10lb superior to all these but anything can and does happen at Cheltenham so it's no certainty ....value wise ...to me the value bets are pied piper and nemean lion if they run ....echoes in rain also has a squeak Ew but has a lot to improve .....with the race now wide open for places and needing a bet for the big race those 2 with nrnb look the call to get some action rolling 

Pied piper 10pt Ew 14/1 nrnb enhanced 

Nemean lion 10pt Ew 20/1 nrnb 

19 hours ago, Zilzalian said:

I said last year Calva that this course has the most unbelievable drainage system, i have seen it in action it's very impressive.

Forecast has already changed , it's looking like factor 50 & to give the toes a shave for putting on the favourite sandals for Gold Cup day , then again , it'll probably be snowing tomorrow , best wait until the day / day before eh but it does dramatically change a pick & i don't trust clerk of courses going statements anymore , more wrong than right .

I am very, very sweet on  NO ORDINARY JOE who was 2nd  in the Martin pipe hurdle last year i  backed it and have been keeping a  very close eye on it this year and feel it will be peaked for Cheltenham  have had a  tenner e/w  on it on the Coral cup on it at 16's but it may go to the martin pipe again. The drying  ground is a plus imo . The bad news is it  is only a measly 10/1 for both races I  am hoping it will go for the coral cup because as much as i fancy it i will not be going in at single figure prices so will be hoping it drifts!

Update Its going for the Martin  Pip. again damn it. It is currently 9/1,

Edited by Tedthewolf

Supreme novices ratings 

Ballyburn 9.0 evs 

Tullyhill  8.7 9/2 

Slade steel. 8.2 

Ile atlantique. 8.2 

Anotherway. 8.2 

Top 2 are clear of rest so most likely winners will be one or the other ...interesting stat that most winners of supreme had achieved a postmark of 148 plus ...ballyburn is 157 (easy) .....the other 4 are around the 146 region   so that very much strengthens the top rated 

Edited by richard-westwood

Final race I've looked at on day 1 is the ultima.....I've given the computer every piece of information I could find ....it's done three diff scans currently and came back with same two horses clear .....stumptown...and Chianti classico...the later I think will need good sft to enhance chances so its a  tough race but those two will be my ew bets 

Stumptown 10pt Ew 10/1 nrnb 

Chianti classico 10pt Ew 8/1 nrnb