Class ratings

I'd like to come up with a really good  class rating for use not only in conjunction with my own ratings but general use everyday .....its something I've pondered for quite a while but to get a good rating you have to overcome a few obstacles but I'll give it a go and see if we can iron out the creases then everyone can potentially use them for whatever 

The argument that always ..always pops up is course adjustment so straight off I needed to factor that in .... then you have your class rating itself ....then an adjustment for where you finished ....

Each one of course has its pitfalls and I'm sure will require a bit of debate but it's not impossible and it's a worthwhile thing to try and do 

So let's just dive in the deep end and see what happens  .. 

Firstly ....the master formula after trying numerous diff formulas (at least 10 ) this is the one I like most 

(Course points + race class )/2 = x 

( Lengths won or beaten.. x2 )+or - x = final class 

Might look complicated but once you start putting in values it quickly becomes easy 

So   first of all we need some sort of course adjustment ...so bear with me because this is a starting point and open to adjustment 

Ascot  16 

Ayr 12 

Bath  4 

Beverly  8 

Brighton  4 

Carlisle 4

Catterick  4 

Chelmsford  8 

Chepstow   4 

Chester   12 

Doncaster   12 

Epsom   16 

Goodwood  16 

Hamilton  4 

Haydock  12

Kempton aw  8 

Leicester  8 

Ling aw  4 

Ling turf  8 

Musselburgh   8 

Newbury   12 

Newcastle  4 

Newmarket   16 

Nottingham  8 

Pontefract  8

Redcar  4  

Ripon  8 

Salisbury  8

Sandown  12 

Southwell  4

Thirsk   8 

Windsor 8 

Wolv aw  4 

Yarmouth   8 

York  12 

Based on average class and prize money at the course without it being too biased towards one course or another 

Classes of race chart 

Class 6    34 

Class 5  43 

Class 4   60 

Class 3  75 

Class 2  90 

Listed   100

Group 3  112 

Group 2  120  

Group 1 130 

Again just a base rating to try and separate the groups....so that gives us a base for the formula so I suppose all thats left is try a few examples and see how it holds up ?

Edited by richard-westwood

So let's pick an example off air ....let's say a class 3 race at ascot and the horse finished 2 lengths down  

Class 3 =75 

+ Course 16  =91 

Horse finished 2 lengths down(2 ×2) So -4 

Final rating = 87 

Let's say another horse won a class 3 at Leicester by 2 lengths 

Class 3  =75 

Course adjust +8 =83 

Won 2 lengths = +4  

Final rating 87 

So a 2 length winner at leic gets same class as a 2 length loser at ascot same class......I'm quite happy with that to start as it addresses the course problem to begin with ....obviously numbers can be tweaked but its,a good start 

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.