Racing Chat - Saturday 11th June

Sandown 1.40

The day’s ITV racing starts with a three year old only 9F handicap which has attracted ten runners. It looks a wide open affair so stakes should be kept small. In fact I would go as far to say as all bar rank outsider Youthful King (watch him bolt up now!)have a fair chance of sorts. The only runner in the field that has yet to run in handicaps and may be better than his allotted mark is the Ralph Beckett trained Vee Sight. He’s was down to run at Pontefract in a weaker race than this only 5 days ago but was pulled out on the morning of the race with a vets certificate. He was heavily backed that day so although this is a stronger contest you get the impression that connections feel he may be better than his initial mark now stepping up a couple of furlongs. I’ll take a chance on him but have every respect for the Godolphin pair of Maplewood and Night Of Luxury.

VEE SIGHT 1 point each way @ 6/1 Paddy Power 1/5th 123

York 2.00

The 1m 4F Queens Mother’s Cup is a handicap run annually for female amateur jockeys where the winning jockey not only wins her cut of the prize money but also her weight in champagne. Topanticipation is chasing a hat trick following wins at Leicester and over course and distance this season rising 11lb in the handicap. He should be competitive under the useful Becky Smith. I’m going to play two here against the field each way in top weight Throne Hall who was a smart handicapper when trained by Kevin Ryan last season and is now in the care of Archie Watson. He’s shown little in three starts for Watson but has dropped 10lb for those efforts and has the assistance of the experienced Brodie Hampson. Now 6lb lower than when an excellent neck second to Sam Cooke in a better handicap than this at last years Ebor meeting he can be competitive here if re finding his form in this lower grade today. The other horse I like is the Martin Todhunter trained Arctic Fox who won this in 2019 for Carol Bartley and was runner up last season for Becky Smith. Fergal O’Brien’s daughter Fern is on board this time around and has fallen down to a winning mark.

THRONE HALL 1 point each way @ 10/1 bet365 1/5th 1234

ARCTIC FOX 1 point each way @ 15/2 William Hill 1/5th 1234

Sandown 2.15

Ten go to post for this class 2 one mile handicap. Top weight Ouzo bounced back to form here last time when just touched off in a similar contest but has been raised 4lb for that. James Fanshawe saddles Encouraged who’s chasing a hat trick following a brace of wins on the all weather but he too has been shunted up 5lb. I’ll take the pair of them on with the only three year old in the field in the Eve Johnson Houghton trained Iffraaj colt Sheer Rocks. Unbeaten in two starts as a juvenile at Chepstow and Bath he started the season in the Epsom Blue Riband Derby trial where he raced too keenly and finished last of eight that day. With that run under his belt and receiving weight from his elders he’s worth taking a punt on here with David Egan doing the steering.

SHEER ROCKS 1 point each way @ 8/1 William Hill 1/5th 1234

York 2.35

A disappointing turnout of nine assemble for this 7F class 2 handicap where the likely favourite Boardman looks the one to beat. He’s chasing a hat trick following wins at Thirsk and Chester this season and despite a 4lb rise for his latest victory I thought he won quite cosily and should go close today. He’s the selection although I do feel course and distance winner Maywake can run him close along with Challet who has a good course record with 2 wins from 4 rides.

BOARDMAN 2 points win @ 5/2 bet365

Sandown 2.50

A disappointing turnout of just six for the listed Coral Scurry Stakes run over 5F 10 yards. The warm favourite Caturra has to shoulder a 5lb penalty for his group 2 Flying Childers Stakes victory at Doncaster last September but still comes out as the best horse in the race and this represents a drop in class for him having finishing a credible 5th beaten 3L by El Caballo last time out in the group 2 Sandy Lane Stakes at Haydock. Clive Cox’s Mehmas gelding is basically a group horse in a listed contest and he’s the one to be with here. Adam West’s Live In The Dream has already shown his liking for this track with an easy handicap victory back in April but this represents a step up in class for him whilst the Roger Varian trained Mitbaahy looks the biggest threat to the selection having won at Hamilton last time out.

CATURRA 2 points win @ 11/10 bet365

York 3.05

Only six go to post for this 14F listed contest where the winner gets a free entry into the sponsor Skybet’s Ebor Handicap back here in August. The best in at the weights here are Euchen Glen who’s shown little in two starts this season and Kemari who we haven’t seen since he ran at Meydan in January and would hold a chance if fancied for the boys in blue. Bar outsider Onesmoothoperator there’s actually only four pounds officially between these and the likeliest winner to my eyes is the Brain Meehan trained Mandoob who’s lightly raced and showed plenty on his re-appearance when a two length second to Al Aasy in a 12F listed race at Ascot with subsequent easy Goodwood listed winner Third Realm 2 1/4L back in third. The extra quarter of a mile will no doubt suit the Farhh gelding and he can take this with Sean Levey doing the steering.

MANDOOB 2 points win @ 5/2 William Hill

Chester 3.20

The day’s best bet runs here in this 7F 127 yards class 2 handicap. Top weight Outgate has shown smart form on his three starts this season including when winning at the May meeting over todays distance. He wasn’t disgraced despite a slow start when third in the Haydock Silver Bowl behind two potential group horses (the runner up Mighty Ulysses runs in the St James Palace Stakes next week) and with a nice draw in two and last week’s winning Derby rider Richard Kingscote in the saddle Daniel and Clare Kubler’s three year old will be hard to keep out of the money. William Haggas saddles the danger in the well drawn front running Thunder Legend whilst local trainer Hugo Palmer has Roman Dragon here. Irish trainer Jessie Harrington sends over Cowboy Justice but hasn’t fared well in the draw and has to break from stall 10.

OUTGATE 3 points each way @ 7/1 Paddy Power 1/5th 1234

York 3.40

The feature handicap of the day is the 6F Pavers Foundation Catherine Memorial Sprint Handicap which has attracted a field of 19. Mick Channon saddles the favourite in Ingra Tor who won a similar handicap well at Newmarket 6 weeks ago and appears to have been put aside for this valuable prize. He looks sure to go well despite a 9lb rise. Showtime Mahomes won a lesser handicap over course and distance three weeks ago and has been raised only 5lb for that win which may turn out to be on the lenient side as the runner up, 3rd, 5th, 9th and 13th have all won since. At a better price than Ingra Tor Grant Tuer’s improving gelding is the selection although I can’t resist a small each way saver on Keith Dagleish’s Edward Cornelius who looks on a good mark having run in non handicap company on his last two outings and may outrun his odds today.

SHOWTIMES MAHOMES 1 point each way @ 17/2 William Hill 1/5th 12345

EDWARD CORNELIUS 1/2 point each way @ 14/1 bet365 1/5th 12345

40p lucky 15

140 sand maplewood                  4/1 lost (walked out to 12/1)

215 sand sheer rocks                   9/1 lost

411 bath whisper                         6/1 lost (ran last went wide did reasonably well given that)

355 ches withhold                       10/1 lost (Maybe too old, maybe not fit enough)

all prices bet365 at posting

Edited by Zilzalian
update

Very busy day ahead, but one I have backed for starters.

1.20 Hex - Going Mobile - 5/1 - ran well enough here last week over an extra 1/2 mile, drops back in trip today, and is  17lbs below the mark it had when winning at Market Rasen in 2020. Downside, it is on a long losing run, but there has been support for it and at the price is a bet for me.

44 minutes ago, Bang on said:

1.20 Hex - Going Mobile - 5/1 - ran well enough here last week over an extra 1/2 mile, drops back in trip today, and is  17lbs below the mark it had when winning at Market Rasen in 2020. Downside, it is on a long losing run, but there has been support for it and at the price is a bet for me.

Nice start to the day! Thank you.

1 hour ago, Bang on said:

Going Mobile - WON

Some more of interest, 

3.25 Sand - Saaheq - 6/1 EW (1/5th 4 places) - Needs to find a return to form, but is 9lbs lower than when winning this race last year. Well drawn and good apprentice Harry Davies takes a further 5lbs off. 

4.55 Hex - Bestiarius 7/2 (Hills) AND   Calliope 9/2 (B365) - I have backed both. Bestiarius is running into form and trainer Gillian Boanas is in decent form (2 wins, 1 place, from 8 runners last 2 weeks.) - Calliope is 16lbs lower than his best winning mark. Again he looked to be coming into form although wasn't really put in the race IMO last time out at Cartmel.

Also a couple of 'speculative' EW selections (small stakes).

8.00 Worc - Imperial Lightning - 10/1 with most firms - Had one race (a bumper) and now tries hurdles over an extra 1/2 mile which should suit.

8.30 Worc - Writteninthesand - 14/1 generally - His sole win was over this distance but in a chase, this is a hurdle race. This is his first handicap hurdle, and with a recent chase run he may run well. Speculative.

1 hour ago, Nigwilliam said:

I had a small Ew @ 5/1.    Surprised when it went 15/2 let alone 12's .      Ah well.

something went on there and my point was that it wasnt even mentioned  either before or after the race happens all too often for me. 4/1 - 12/1 is eye opening.

going to add on here something i mentioned a few weeks ago about a 2m race. the 1m6f win and ur in ebor trial ended up a sprint so why bother having 1m6f and or 2m races?

19 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

340 york 

Gisburn   8.8 14.0 

Harry three   8.5  12.0 

Ingra tor   8.5  5.4 

Lethal levi  8.1 

5pt wins top 3  24x 10p tricasts all 4 

Harry three was almost last 2f out and storms through to win easily ....better than bare result .....+42.00

On 6/10/2022 at 8:56 AM, The Brigadier said:

Sandown 1.40

The day’s ITV racing starts with a three year old only 9F handicap which has attracted ten runners. It looks a wide open affair so stakes should be kept small. In fact I would go as far to say as all bar rank outsider Youthful King (watch him bolt up now!)have a fair chance of sorts. The only runner in the field that has yet to run in handicaps and may be better than his allotted mark is the Ralph Beckett trained Vee Sight. He’s was down to run at Pontefract in a weaker race than this only 5 days ago but was pulled out on the morning of the race with a vets certificate. He was heavily backed that day so although this is a stronger contest you get the impression that connections feel he may be better than his initial mark now stepping up a couple of furlongs. I’ll take a chance on him but have every respect for the Godolphin pair of Maplewood and Night Of Luxury.

VEE SIGHT 1 point each way @ 6/1 Paddy Power 1/5th 123

York 2.00

The 1m 4F Queens Mother’s Cup is a handicap run annually for female amateur jockeys where the winning jockey not only wins her cut of the prize money but also her weight in champagne. Topanticipation is chasing a hat trick following wins at Leicester and over course and distance this season rising 11lb in the handicap. He should be competitive under the useful Becky Smith. I’m going to play two here against the field each way in top weight Throne Hall who was a smart handicapper when trained by Kevin Ryan last season and is now in the care of Archie Watson. He’s shown little in three starts for Watson but has dropped 10lb for those efforts and has the assistance of the experienced Brodie Hampson. Now 6lb lower than when an excellent neck second to Sam Cooke in a better handicap than this at last years Ebor meeting he can be competitive here if re finding his form in this lower grade today. The other horse I like is the Martin Todhunter trained Arctic Fox who won this in 2019 for Carol Bartley and was runner up last season for Becky Smith. Fergal O’Brien’s daughter Fern is on board this time around and has fallen down to a winning mark.

THRONE HALL 1 point each way @ 10/1 bet365 1/5th 1234

ARCTIC FOX 1 point each way @ 15/2 William Hill 1/5th 1234

Sandown 2.15

Ten go to post for this class 2 one mile handicap. Top weight Ouzo bounced back to form here last time when just touched off in a similar contest but has been raised 4lb for that. James Fanshawe saddles Encouraged who’s chasing a hat trick following a brace of wins on the all weather but he too has been shunted up 5lb. I’ll take the pair of them on with the only three year old in the field in the Eve Johnson Houghton trained Iffraaj colt Sheer Rocks. Unbeaten in two starts as a juvenile at Chepstow and Bath he started the season in the Epsom Blue Riband Derby trial where he raced too keenly and finished last of eight that day. With that run under his belt and receiving weight from his elders he’s worth taking a punt on here with David Egan doing the steering.

SHEER ROCKS 1 point each way @ 8/1 William Hill 1/5th 1234

York 2.35

A disappointing turnout of nine assemble for this 7F class 2 handicap where the likely favourite Boardman looks the one to beat. He’s chasing a hat trick following wins at Thirsk and Chester this season and despite a 4lb rise for his latest victory I thought he won quite cosily and should go close today. He’s the selection although I do feel course and distance winner Maywake can run him close along with Challet who has a good course record with 2 wins from 4 rides.

BOARDMAN 2 points win @ 5/2 bet365

Sandown 2.50

A disappointing turnout of just six for the listed Coral Scurry Stakes run over 5F 10 yards. The warm favourite Caturra has to shoulder a 5lb penalty for his group 2 Flying Childers Stakes victory at Doncaster last September but still comes out as the best horse in the race and this represents a drop in class for him having finishing a credible 5th beaten 3L by El Caballo last time out in the group 2 Sandy Lane Stakes at Haydock. Clive Cox’s Mehmas gelding is basically a group horse in a listed contest and he’s the one to be with here. Adam West’s Live In The Dream has already shown his liking for this track with an easy handicap victory back in April but this represents a step up in class for him whilst the Roger Varian trained Mitbaahy looks the biggest threat to the selection having won at Hamilton last time out.

CATURRA 2 points win @ 11/10 bet365

York 3.05

Only six go to post for this 14F listed contest where the winner gets a free entry into the sponsor Skybet’s Ebor Handicap back here in August. The best in at the weights here are Euchen Glen who’s shown little in two starts this season and Kemari who we haven’t seen since he ran at Meydan in January and would hold a chance if fancied for the boys in blue. Bar outsider Onesmoothoperator there’s actually only four pounds officially between these and the likeliest winner to my eyes is the Brain Meehan trained Mandoob who’s lightly raced and showed plenty on his re-appearance when a two length second to Al Aasy in a 12F listed race at Ascot with subsequent easy Goodwood listed winner Third Realm 2 1/4L back in third. The extra quarter of a mile will no doubt suit the Farhh gelding and he can take this with Sean Levey doing the steering.

MANDOOB 2 points win @ 5/2 William Hill

Chester 3.20

The day’s best bet runs here in this 7F 127 yards class 2 handicap. Top weight Outgate has shown smart form on his three starts this season including when winning at the May meeting over todays distance. He wasn’t disgraced despite a slow start when third in the Haydock Silver Bowl behind two potential group horses (the runner up Mighty Ulysses runs in the St James Palace Stakes next week) and with a nice draw in two and last week’s winning Derby rider Richard Kingscote in the saddle Daniel and Clare Kubler’s three year old will be hard to keep out of the money. William Haggas saddles the danger in the well drawn front running Thunder Legend whilst local trainer Hugo Palmer has Roman Dragon here. Irish trainer Jessie Harrington sends over Cowboy Justice but hasn’t fared well in the draw and has to break from stall 10.

OUTGATE 3 points each way @ 7/1 Paddy Power 1/5th 1234

York 3.40

The feature handicap of the day is the 6F Pavers Foundation Catherine Memorial Sprint Handicap which has attracted a field of 19. Mick Channon saddles the favourite in Ingra Tor who won a similar handicap well at Newmarket 6 weeks ago and appears to have been put aside for this valuable prize. He looks sure to go well despite a 9lb rise. Showtime Mahomes won a lesser handicap over course and distance three weeks ago and has been raised only 5lb for that win which may turn out to be on the lenient side as the runner up, 3rd, 5th, 9th and 13th have all won since. At a better price than Ingra Tor Grant Tuer’s improving gelding is the selection although I can’t resist a small each way saver on Keith Dagleish’s Edward Cornelius who looks on a good mark having run in non handicap company on his last two outings and may outrun his odds today.

SHOWTIMES MAHOMES 1 point each way @ 17/2 William Hill 1/5th 12345

EDWARD CORNELIUS 1/2 point each way @ 14/1 bet365 1/5th 12345

Two winners and two places today. The winners at 6/1 (10p R4) and 7/1 (5p R4) - a healthy profit of just over 20 points. Roll on Royal Ascot.

2 hours ago, Tedthewolf said:

3.40 York I like the 2  Richard  Fahey runners  e/w with 6place  BOG VINTAGES CLOUDS 25/1 & ADMRIL D 28/1

5.22 York  I always look closely  at Easterby runners at York and i have  had a very decent e/w bet  @ 11/1 on GOLDEN APOLLO 6 places BOG  i also  feel DARK SHOT is way overpriced @ 33/1.

Admril  D  Placed at 40/1 & Golden Apllo Placed 11/1

3 hours ago, Zilzalian said:

something went on there and my point was that it wasnt even mentioned  either before or after the race happens all too often for me. 4/1 - 12/1 is eye opening.

going to add on here something i mentioned a few weeks ago about a 2m race. the 1m6f win and ur in ebor trial ended up a sprint so why bother having 1m6f and or 2m races?

My bet was at  1.37,. Race 1.40.    Sweating up or stalls problem perhaps.  Be nice to know.  I didn't see the race.