** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Champion of Champions 2021

Fader

This gets underway today. It's a shame that the defending champion (Mark Allen) has pulled out but I think that's largely due to his issue with Childcare and his Mrs and bankrupcy and purely not playing because it means somebody else gets the money but that could be pure speculation. Who knows?

It's a shame because Allen does well in this event. Another man that does well here is Neil Robertson. Just coming back from winning the English Open, he comes into this with ranking points to protect after making the final last year. He also won it the year previous and I think he looks the prime candidate to continue his form. He would be my choice from the top half of the draw. The price isn't pretty but I'll take him on a single instead of an each-way play.

In the bottom half, I'll take a punt on Shaun Murphy. Since winning this in 2017, Shaun hasn't really performed in it but maybe that will be drive him on here with nothing to fear in losing any ranking points. He faces Yan Bingtao in round 1 of whom he has a good head-to-head record against and then he would face Gilbert or Selby. Selby has a decent record against Shaun but Selby never seems to perform very well in this event (semi-final the best he has made, last year).

Higgins was tempting me but his price is far too small for a guy that is likely to be very tired right now. Higgins may be able to take care of Ronnie in the other Quarter Final though to pave the way for somebody else.

4pts N.Robertson to win Champion Of Champions 11/2 bet365
1.5pts e.w S. Murphy to win Champion Of Champions 18/1 paddypower

9 hours ago, Fader said:

Selby has a decent record against Shaun but Selby never seems to perform very well in this event (semi-final the best he has made, last year).

Yeah, it's always very risky to count on Selby on this format (best of 7). Selby remains quite reliable when the format is Best of 17, Best of 19 etc. On this format, and against Gilbert, I'd rather go with Gilbert or bet on the prospect of a deciding frame (approximately 7/3 at most betting companies). I believe Mark has a tendency of playing many matches going to the deciding frame, no?

Edited by Foo_Fighter

I remember reading that his b07 record was actually quite good but I've always thought of Selby as a long format player, too. I think he probably beats Gilbert but he does tend to "give a few frames away" always, Selby. You rarely see him win a b07 easy if I recall. 

Trump looked very average against Lilley but Day was a doddle in the final 6-0 win and the first Semi-finalist is Trump. 

On 11/15/2021 at 9:23 PM, Foo_Fighter said:

Yeah, it's always very risky to count on Selby on this format (best of 7). Selby remains quite reliable when the format is Best of 17, Best of 19 etc. On this format, and against Gilbert, I'd rather go with Gilbert or bet on the prospect of a deciding frame (approximately 7/3 at most betting companies). I believe Mark has a tendency of playing many matches going to the deciding frame, no?

Hmm.. Spot on? ??

Edited by Foo_Fighter

After backing Bingtao recently I suppose it was standard that he would do well this week. Trump, K.Wilson and Bingtao 3 semi-finalists then and just one more to be decided. I think Higgins beats Ding today and Ronnie to beat Bingham. The final will depend on which Ronnie turns up as usual. I have an open bet on Higgins and Ronnie to win with most centuries so I will stick with that. 

20 minutes ago, Foo_Fighter said:

Wow. Already got the exact opposite bet lol. 

don't worry. My 9/1 isn't likely to win haha. I think he has a chance of highest break.  He hit 3 centuries against Robertson and Trumps highest break is 104 against Day. I think Wilson has played the better stuff in this tournament but we will see. Atleast he can stop moaning that he doesn't get enough TV time now he's on a main table :D