How is last time out calculated and what does it mean?

45 minutes ago, Bang on said:

Not sure what you are asking, for me LTO relates to the finishing position last time out.

ie: Form 2651 = 1st last time out

Thanks, I thought that's what it meant, but there was some conflicting info.

For example, on Laurence Taylor's Speed Ratings, he gives the horse Harmony Lil a LTO of 87 - how does he come up with that number?  

5 hours ago, alexcaruso808 said:

Thanks, I thought that's what it meant, but there was some conflicting info.

For example, on Laurence Taylor's Speed Ratings, he gives the horse Harmony Lil a LTO of 87 - how does he come up with that number?  

The last time that Harmony Lil ran. (LTO) ,it ran to a speed figure of 87. That figure is arrived at by comparing the time the horse took to complete the race with a standard time given for the race,taking into account lots of other info like age,going,distance etc etc etc. The horse that won the race only ran a LTO speed figure of 49 but had ran a best speed figure of 80.   I suppose Taylor was thinking that Harmony Lil was running a race under similar conditions to the last race it ran,so had a good chance of winning seeing as it had the highest speed figure.

If I've spouted a load of rubbish, I hope someone will correct me.

I'm

17 minutes ago, Nigwilliam said:

The last time that Harmony Lil ran. (LTO) ,it ran to a speed figure of 87. That figure is arrived at by comparing the time the horse took to complete the race with a standard time given for the race,taking into account lots of other info like age,going,distance etc etc etc. The horse that won the race only ran a LTO speed figure of 49 but had ran a best speed figure of 80.   I suppose Taylor was thinking that Harmony Lil was running a race under similar conditions to the last race it ran,so had a good chance of winning seeing as it had the highest speed figure.

If I've spouted a load of rubbish, I hope someone will correct me.

I'm

I think I get it now - thank you!