** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Trainer excuses

Just a couple of observations over the weekend’s racing reference some Trainers reasons for horses running poorly. Master Debonair was never running well from the start in his seasonal debut, and became tailed off after 1/2 a mile. Their representative reported the going was not what the racecourse first announced as good/soft, but good going, which M.D didn’t like. Well he has won twice over good in the past, granted he lost a shoe on Saturday ( which also seems to happen more frequently). Surely their jockey would’ve known the going reports from the previous races, weak excuse. This is meant to be the Tizzards Champion Hurdle horse this season. 
Then Harry Fry comes out with the same excuse with Just a Sting, saying the horse was never travelling and didn’t like the wrongly reported going. Well, the courses in the South West have mostly been dry for the last month, so why didn’t he pull J.a S. out of the race, it was never going to be soft enough for the horse anyway.

I feel that trainers keep making excuses just to suit themselves sometimes, and not thinking about the punters who may have backed their horses, on them okaying the ground conditions for their horse. And why are horses losing their shoes more than they used to?

Regards Doug 

I do think sometimes trainers go over the top with meaningless blurb about the going

' Well, he's by Lightning out of a Thunder mare, they don't go on Good To Soft, Good In Places, he really needs Good, Good To Soft in Places'

I reckon they're trying to make it more Scientific to puff up their expertise, impress the laymen and warrant their huge training fees

Gosden is particularly bad for this

One of my syndicate horses ran at Ayr last Saturday in a class 2 handicap over favourite trip of 16f & favourite going of soft / heavy & finished last of 6 

P.Nicholls excuse was " I don't think he likes travelling very far ", I'm expecting Paddy Power to use this in one of their future adverts.

He's now entered to horse at Cheltenham next Sunday in a Grade 3 race , it's near to Ditcheat but I think the going will scupper chances of a run with a largely mild & dry week forecast .