** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Racing Chat - Friday August 7th

12.15 Cartmel - 2pts win Fraterculus @ 9/2 Bet365

Many of these haven't run over hurdles yet but this one looks a live sort on debut in this sphere and is unexposed from three runs on the flat. They weren't bad efforts, midfield on debut before being beaten 5 lengths in 3rd on second start behind 90 and 80 something rated rivals. Was always going to be outclassed in race exclusively of 90+ rated horses last time but was only beaten 12 lengths which is no disgrace and gets a racing of 79 off the back of that. No real reason why he won't stay and looks as good as those, if not better, than his rivals on the flat.

12.35 Sandown - 1pt win Dark Illusion @ 8/1 Bet365

Eve Johnson Houghton wouldn't have many first time out winners so second time is often when to catch them and this one showed plenty of promise over 6f at Windsor on debut, only fading late on and should improve plenty for the experience. That wasn't a bad race at all with a couple of 80 rated yardsticks in there and this runner showed enough speed to suggest a stiff 5f won't be a problem and the quicker ground can help today too. Would expect a significant step forward with that under his belt and can go close. 

1.25 Cartmel - 2pts win Whateva Next @ 5/1 Bet365

Winning pointer who shaped okay in some novice races but stepped up with a good run on chasing and handicap debut last time, staying on over a shorter trip to not be beaten very far. His best efforts have all come on good to soft or quicker so you can mark up efforts on softer and now gets an extra few furlongs to help, having stayed on over both starts around 2m4f and this is an easier race to boot.

3.45 Cartmel - 2pts win Authorizo @ 7/1 Bet365

This looks a big price about a horse who seems to have turned a corner since having wind surgery with two good runs this season, staying on and not beaten too far in races better than this. Continues to edge down the weights and the long run in can play to his strengths here. Will appreciate the easier standard today and if continuing his progress this season, should be bang there at the finish.

Captain Bucks might well be capable of winning again, but the price seems tight enough and it looks a stronger heat than the one he won at Stratford so will leave him alone today. Instead I like the chances of Dee Star in the 3.10. He won a maiden hunter chase here last year and although its always a fairly weak race, he bolted up. I then fancied him in a handicap over today's course and distance, but it was a rare poor ride from Gina and she made her move way too late. That was in a much bigger field than today so hopefully he will be able to sit closer to the pace. He is up in grade from that contest, but I thought it looked a pretty weak race and that would give him a good chance to win again. He pulled up last time in March, but the ground was too heavy that day and today's should be fine given it was good to soft when he won the hunter chase. The favourite is the obvious danger and he will probably pop up one day, but he's still a maiden so I am happy to take him on. Dee Star has been nibbled in the betting already, but 4/1 is still big enough for me.

Dee Star @ 4/1 with everyone

One £1 Trixie today = £4 v £34.85 (still using bet credits so a reduced return forecast)

2.00 Cart Fort De L'Ocean 2/1
3.30 San Enemy 6/5
4.35 San Gypsey Whisper 11/4

Singles bets

1.10 San Bright Armor £2 win at 3.7 = £5.13 (the media band wagon has gone for Perroto but I don't see backing this one at 13/8 is of value)
4.05 San Margaret Dumont £1 win at 5/1 (revolver was showing at 4/5 last night, drifted an back to evens now)

4.35 San Fan Tail £1 win at 4/1
4.35 San Arabic Charm £1 win at 11/2

12.50 Cart Now Children £1 win at 9/2

2.35 Cart Shantaluze 50p win at 10/1 (been off a long time)

3.10 Cart Achill Road Boy £1 win at 7/2

3.45 Cart The Steward £1 win at 9/2
3.45 Cart Glen Y Gors 50p win at 8/1
3.45 Cart Zig Zag 50p win at 14/1
Should be fun to watch this race

Multiples = £4

Singles = £9.50

Total stakes = £13.50

Hopefully back later with some lay bets

Just one winner in the Trixie so no return = £4 loss = Balance c/fwd £659.72 (£800 Bank)
Pity that Arabic Charm got beaten a neck at 7/1.  At least Glen Y Gors won at 8/1 so a £5.50 loss on the day.  The balance c/fwd on my singles is now £297.22 (Bank £400)

Loads of class action tomorrow so I will not need to look at class 4 races.

Edited by The Equaliser
Results Update

Two lay bets at Wolverhampton

5.50 Independence Day  £2.11 @ 3.50 (UM 3.70) £2 v £5.28 liability.  Will have to ping the gates to win this 5f event.   Bad draw as well.  4 decent challengers

6.20 Choral Work.  £2.11 @ 4.70 = £2 v £7.81 Market expect this one to sprout wings.  Has 3 decent challengers

Both the above two lost and my bets were matched so a £4 profit on the day.  I was a bit nervous about Choral Work but I told myself even if it did win I would still oppose another horse in similar circumstances in the future (I.e. the horse had achieved very little and none of the experts gave it a good write up).  The balance c/fwd is + £12.96

Edited by The Equaliser
Results Update