** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

sport betting and Microsoft Excel

Rey86

hey y all

my question is if using microsoft excel can be useful for sport betting and how

i ve heard that  people keeping their own stats in excel or using it to analyze data

cannot see how it helps since all the stats are available and free in numerous sites and for analyzing there are free Poison distribution and Kelly calculators

on line as well.

i do not know how to use it and i was tempted to study it in order to improve my sport betting but now im skeptical if it worths the time investment for this goal

It's absolutely worthwhile, it's been worth thousands of pounds to me, whether that's viewed as reducing my losses (especially in the earlier days) or increasing the winnings.

First and foremost, especially now, it's used for recording every bet I place and giving me the ability to analyse the results in detail. That strips away the universal tendency to overestimate how well you're doing or underestimate how badly. Recently I've eliminated bets that were costing me a lot of money even though I assumed it was one of my strengths (past results being no guarantee of ongoing profit) and found profitable bets to put real money on after tracking paper trades for a while. None of that data is available elsewhere, hence it's value to you.

For sports other than football, there's not necessarily the same depth of data out there so capturing and analysing you own stats is necessary. Even for football, you can do more targeted analysis on specific areas with Excel than you can do online.

Excel (or other freely available equivalent tools) is only the entry level tool when it comes to data capture and analysis in betting and I'm by no means an expert user but I can't imagine betting without it and I guarantee it's worth the effort of mastering the basics.