** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Non-League Predictions > August 4th

Darran

Finally we get to the start of the new season and looking forward to it being another profitable one. The last two season's especially have been very good and it would be nice to continue that into this one. Obviously being the first week it is going to be minimum stakes only as we start to feel our way into the season, but I do think there is value to be had. Certainly some people have already got some nice value on Alfreton who were amazingly over 3/1 to beat Kidderminster at home. Not exactly a gimmie, but the price was so wrong I thought it was an error. I didn't think it would go so left it alone and now at the time of writing Alfreton are pushing for favouritism so I certainly got that one wrong. The prices for me are right now so they won't be one of the tips. I have 5 bets though to hopefully get us off to a good start.

Salford v Leyton Orient

I have to take Salford on in the game which gets the season underway on BT Sport at 12.30. Orient were involved in the opening game of last season when I put up Sutton to beat them which they duly did as Orient proved very slow to get acclimatised to Non-League life. Now they have a season under their belts and they have a few months under Justin Edinburgh who improved them a lot when he took over. I think they will be in and around the play-offs and that means this is a very tricky opening fixture for big spending Salford. Graham Alexander is going to come up against some very good Non-League managers this season who know what it takes to win games at this level and Edinburgh is certainly one of them. I think they will be vulnerable in their first game of the season and the value for me is certainly with the away team at 14/5 with Marathon.

Braintree v Halifax

As I have mentioned in my ante-post preview I think Braintree are really going to struggle this season and their team doesn't look strong enough to survive at this level. Halifax are probably a bottom half side, but they at least have a side proven at this level which could be key in this opening game of the season. Granted teams that I think will do badly do sometimes win their opening games as Bognor did on the opening day of last season and they ended up going down, but I do think Halifax should be shorter than the 11/5 they are with Marathon to win this.

Eastleigh v Solihull

Eastleigh don't have the big bucks to spend anymore and there is one school of thought that it could help them as they have flattered to deceive for the last 3 seasons now when they did have the money. I'm not so sure myself and have a feeling they might struggle a bit again. Pretty much everyone thinks Solihull are going to go down and I find it hard to understand why. I do worry a bit about Tim Flowers as manager given his shocking record before, but that was a few years ago and he did well alongside Mark Yates last season to keep Moors up. They look a stronger team this time around and I think they might surprise a few people. With that in mind I will back them here at 23/10 (Skybet, William Hill and Betfair) to win on the opening day.

Boston United v Guiseley

Boston are one of my tips in the National League North and I think they can start the season with a win. I really like the signings they have made and they look especially strong up front and should score plenty of goals this season. Guiseley came down last season and I struggle to see them being capable of mounting a promotion push this time around. With that in mind I think the 67/50 on a home win with Marathon is worth taking.

Bath City v Dartford

Dartford should really have won the league last season, but they were just pipped by Havant and I think they might have blown their best chance for now of going back into the National League. They have a new managerial team in charge and losing Andy Pugh to a double broken leg in pre-season was a big blow. Bath could be in for a good season and look to have strengthened pretty well and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they finished above Saturday's opponents. I would certainly make them favourites to win this one so the 15/8 with Marathon looks a good bet.

Leyton Orient 1pt @ 14/5 with Marathon

Halifax 1pt @ 11/5 with Marathon

Solihull 1pt @ 23/10 with Skybet, William Hill and Betfair

Boston United 1pt @ 67/50 with Marathon

Bath 1pt @ 15/8 with Marathon

Excellent tipping there Darran. I witnessed the one you missed and would comment as follows;

Bath started well with their neat passing game and deservedly led on 9 minutes. Dartford had five new signings ( as well as their new management team) and weren't really gelling. However, as the half wore on Dartford's greater physical presence and pressing game reduced Bath to going long without any joy. 

Dartford are a strong , physical, direct and slightly cynical unit who got the job done and, on that performance, will be around the top three again.

Bath, who have made some good signings, will be one of the best footballing sides in the Division but you wonder whether that will be enough to get them out of what is undoubtedly a stronger Division this season.