Racing Chat - Friday Dec 8th

1250 Sandown

Pickamix 3/1 Coral/PP

The opening contest at Sandown is confined to Amateur Riders and my idea of the winner is Pickamix trained by Charlie Mann and ridden by the experienced Sam Waley-Cohen.
He won his last two hurdle races back in the Spring and then after a break made his debut over fences at Fontwell where he was second. Stepped up to 3 mile next time and ran well again off a mark of 128 which was 5lbs higher than his hurdle rating. Obviously chasing was always going to be his bag and a good effort at Cheltenham last time confirmed that. This looks a race he can dominate and get off the mark over fences.

2:30 Sandown  ON THE BLIND SIDE 2/1 PP Willliam Hill Ladbrokes Coral

2/2  under rules and he has a bright future. He won nicely at Aintree over today's trip before stepping up again showing improvement to win going away in the end at Cheltenham. He looks bound for the Cheltenham Festival come march and this race looks like another stepping stone  as he heads for the Albert Bartlett (A Intended Target)

RED RIVER bids to follow up his Wincanton success with victory in the Grade 2 Ballymore Novices’ Hurdle at Sandown (2.30).I have had a bit of luck in this race in the past, with Messire Des Obeaux having landed the prize twelve months ago and my fancy in this year’s race looks worth his place in the field. Kim Bailey’s four-year-old ran out a ready winner on his debut just over a month ago and although the form hasn’t worked out as well as I would have liked, he was much the best on the day, winning with thirteen lengths to spare. He was doing his best work in the closing stages of the race at Wincanton last time so he should have no trouble handling the stiff finish at Sandown and although it looks a strong field, he looks worth his place in the line-up. Nicky Henderson’s On The Blind Side already has a Grade 2 success to his name and the form of his Cheltenham win looks just about the strongest on offer. However there are any number of horses with chances including Marley Firth, Mulcahys Hill and White Moon who are unbeaten over hurdles, with the last named probably holding the strongest claims having followed up his Wincanton success at Exeter last time.

In summary, I think our horse is worth his place in the line-up and the way he drew clear of his rivals last time indicates to me that he should be able to hold his own in this higher grade. The yard are in excellent form at present and although he does need to step forward to figure here, I think he has plenty of potential, so is worth an each-way bet.

Advice

RED RIVER – 1pt e/w @ 7/1 (Paddy Power)