** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

Racing Chat - Saturday Sept 16th

240 Chester

Duretto 7/4 Bet365 

The Balding yard does well at Chester and look to have found a very good opportunity for Duretto to get back on the winning trail. He ended last season with a victory at Newbury (Group 3) and started this term with a third in the Ormonde Stakes here, back in May. He's been off since but looks pretty solid to me and this will tee him up nicely for an Autumn campaign.

150 donc Portland hcap

Stake acclaim  99.10

Hakam   99.09

Lexington Abby  99.07

Vibrant chord  99.07

Wide open 22 runner pin sticker and can't back anything with any degree of confidence but ratings have been very accurate lately even with big prices so ill go ew top 2 and hope for a big one 

Stake acclaim 10pts e.w 12/1 bet365

Hakam 10pt e.w 25/1 stanj

My st leger ratings 

Capri   99.21

Venice beach  99.18

Defoe  99.17

Crystal ocean 99.16 

Close at the top but with o brien record and ryan moore the 4/1 with 888 looks a good bet ....Defoe could improve again but has had a hard few races ...I think Venice beach is a danger as he has equal form to Capri but has also had a long season so it's the Ryan moore factor for me 

Capri 20pts win 4/1 888s

1.30 Chester: Class 4 Handicap, 5f

This type of race in this type of conditions won't suit many in this field, but favourite Show Palace has a prime chance to bounce back to form. He already won three times this year and loves the mud plus looks still to have a bit more to offer with the right conditions. 

Franny Norton in the saddle is another bonus, while the positive draw enhances his chances even further. 

Selection: 
10pts win - Show Palace @ 3/1 Skybet

2.40 Chester: Listed Stand Cup Stakes, 1m 4f 

Group 3 winning Duretto proves popular with punters though the well exposed and less sexy Soldier In Action is a better bet in my book. He thrives in tough conditions like the ones to expect at Chester today and stays all day long. 

He didn't land a blow in the Ebor, however won a tough handicap the same month of a mark off 106. So he's clearly a smart operator. Rated within three pounds of Duretto, match fitness might prove and advantage for Mark Johnston's inmate, I believe.

Selection:
10ts win - Soldier In Action @ 11/4 Paddy Power

3.35 Doncaster: Group 1 St. Leger, 1m 6.5f

This years St. Leger shapes as an intriguing contest with five, six horses closely matched on ratings. No doubt, Irish Derby winner Capri warrants plenty of respect, though the ever improving Crystal Ocean, Stradivarius, Defoe and the filly Coronet all real chances to improve again with a big shout over the Leger trip.

However is the forgotten horse in the race another Ballydoyle runner? Venice Beach doesn't get any love leading up to the race, even though he has some excellent form in the book too. 

Sure, he looks short of top class over a mile and a quarter, however he shapes like a grinder who's crying out for the trip. Watch back the Grand Prix de Paris, where he looked outpaced and beaten in the home straight. Yet he fought back gamely, found more and more and finished an excellent third. 

At York in the Voltigeur he wasn't a match for Cracksman. But he finished a clear second of some decent individuals. It might turn out that he simply is not a Group 1 animal, that says the trip and ground in combination make him a big danger to anyone in this field, I feel.

Selection:
10pts win - Venice Beach @ 14/1 Bet365

5.15 Musselburgh: Class 3 Handicap, 1m 6f

I've been keen on Dominating the last time at York in the Melrose Handicap, though he flopped that day. We can draw a line through that I feel, though, given it was a very hot race. This is easier and it remains the fact that Irish St. Leger winner Jukebox Jury has an outstanding record with his first crop of three year old’s in Britain.

Contributing towards this has been the Mark Johnston trained Dominating himself, as he has won already three times this year, including over the 1m 6f trip and at Musselburgh. 

I don't think conditions will be an issue for him, in case the rain arrives. He didn't perform the one time he raced on soft ground, but on pedigree it looks fine and he's a different horse now, I believe.

Selection:
10pts win - Dominating @ 9/2 Bet365

21 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

My st leger ratings 

Capri   99.21

Venice beach  99.18

Defoe  99.17

Crystal ocean 99.16 

Close at the top but with o brien record and ryan moore the 4/1 with 888 looks a good bet ....Defoe could improve again but has had a hard few races ...I think Venice beach is a danger as he has equal form to Capri but has also had a long season so it's the Ryan moore factor for me 

Capri 20pts win 4/1 888s

Go mr moore ..nice doing business 

11.34 Woodbine: Grade 1 Woodbine Mile, 1m

A quick one for the night's racing in Canada - after contemplating over it the whole day I finally came to the conclusion that Lancaster Bomber is a "good thing" in the Woodbine Mile. 

If you draw a line through his Sussex Stakes run on unsuitable soft ground, you see a horse that has performed really well on quick surface this season in particular. An excellent 4th in the Guineas, when less than two lengths beaten by star miler Churchill and a runner-up effort in the St. James's Palace Stakes qualifies as top class form.

Lancaster Bomber already has proven he does travel well too, as he was a fine 2nd in last years Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf. 

With lightning quick ground a given at Woodbine today, he surly meet his optimum conditions. Slight concerns over the wide draw and the likelihood of rider Wayne Lordan putting up a couple of pounds overweight, as the lowest he has ridden in the last 12 months has been 8st 4lb. 

That probably will erode some of the weight advantage, as Lancaster Bomber would otherwise receive up to 12lb by World Approval. Nonetheless, he still will have less to carry than any other individual in the field while potentially being the smartest horse in the race. 

Selection: 
10pts win - Lancaster Bomber @ 4/1 William Hill