Speed masterclass

As you know I love messing about with speed calculations and although its horrendously difficult to get your head around sometimes I'd like to share to latest thing I've been playing with ....I'm mainly interested in you thoughts as to whether its feasible or ways it can possibly be improved ...either way makes for an interesting discussion this is purely for all weather at the moment as the going diff is minimal and for ratings purposes this is just showing how to compile a raw rating based on comparing to the average runner at the track 

Screenshot_2017-01-11-16-54-21.thumb.png

First of all I set up the spreadsheet as above going from a1 to k1 with each field as so

Distance furlongs

Time in seconds

Standard in seconds 

Difference between time and standard 

Difference converted to lbs 

Rating after above 

Weight carried +- 9stone (so if carried 9-10 you would put +10)

Length down from Winner (0 if won )

Adj per length in lbs at distance ( ie 3.8 lbs per length at 5f..3.2 at 6f etc )

Final rating 

Thats that part done I'll elaborate next part in a moment 

Edited by richard-westwood

24 minutes ago, richard-westwood said:

Bear with me I'm doing this in stages so I'll try and go as clearly as I can 

For the example above I have inserted 10f in the dist (a2) ...120.13 in the time achieved by the winner (b2) with the  standard set at 125.96...this is purely a random example for test purposes as I know wat results should be ...

In field (d2) I programmed the function ..=sum (b2-c2) ...this works out the difference between winners time and standard time and displays in field d2 ..simple enough 

Now it gets very difficult ....field (e2) is the figure in d2 converted to lbs ...there are different methods to do this but I recently read a time form article which gave the formula ...=sum (d2*(1400-(900/a2))/average (b2:c2))....which I know looks horrendous lol and I don't quite understand the in and out but it converts the said figure to lbs and in the example I wanted 62lbs and it worked it out exactly so this formula goes in field (e2)

So in the above example its saying the winner ran 62lbs better than the standard time so I've set the base rating of standard time and 9st at 100 (a horse carrying 9st and achieving standard time woukd rate 100)and all adjustments are made from this 

That's the first part down ...back in a bit 

Edited by richard-westwood

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.