** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Waggys Final Curtain

waggy

Glad you like it Vila. Todays bet looks good except I thought HKR v Catalans was tomorrow and that would have been my best bet today as I think HKR are a really good bet to win as Catalans are beset with injuries. Anyway I'm going to back them now with the same stake as my 'best' bet. Had a blip lately but today looks good to me. £200 HKR -4 to beat Catalans @1/1 (8 am tonight)

I rarely stick my oar into other people's threads, but as you appear to be doing a good job with your selections it would be a shame to see you lose your bank. If you carry on the way you are though, unfortunately I think that's what will happen. In my opinion, you are staking too much and as a result even if your picks are good a run of bad results will see you wiped out. I know that you bet at different odds ranges and I certainly agree with the idea of betting more the shorter the price, but risking a fifth or a quarter of your bank on any one bet leaves you dangerously exposed to the slings and arrows of bad fortune. As a crude example, lets say you identify several hundred bets priced at evens that you think should be slightly odds-on and lets say that you're correct in your assumptions. Lets also say that your even money bet has a 55% chance of happening, meaning that you've found some value in the odds and will be ahead in the long run if you continue placing such bets. Despite this, there is a very good chance that at some point you will have roughly 6 losing bets in a row which at best would take a big chunk out of your bank and at worst would clean you out. At the risk of sounding patronising, which is certainly not my intention otherwise I wouldn't have taken the time to write this, you need some wriggle room as far as your stakes go. That way, instead of going bust you can ride out a series of losses and recover at a later point. I suppose what I'm describing is the mentality of an investor rather than a gambler - an investor is acutely aware that even the best bets can go wrong and factors that into their betting, whilst a gambler crosses their fingers that things will go their way and will be in trouble if they don't. Anyway, however you choose to proceed with this I wish you the best of luck. :ok

Thanks Torque. Over the years I have made lots of money but in that period I have also had bad times. You are right of course about the high stakes but it has always been my achilles heel and I have a tendency to chase losses by raising the stakes. The honest answer is that I am a gambler and not an investor. The thrill of gambling comes with the big bets but it also brings with it the despair when they lose. I've dabbled with staking systems but never really stuck with them. Observations like yours do I admit make sense and as I am quite lazy when finding the right system any advice on a tried and trusted system for short priced selections would always be considered. As I do spend time researching my bets perhaps coupling them to a good staking system would make sense. Nothing too complicated though. Thanks again, much appreciated that you took the time. Result: HKR-4 won 32-26 Won £200 In the bank £1387.66 Lol Vilamoura, both bets yesterday went down to the wire, especially the HKR one. 26-4 at H/T and then collapse in the second half.

I was very close to backing Baghdatis and Wozniacki but saw dangers so never did. Both retired so no regrets Vila. Good luck with the tickets. Results: Broncos won 44-22 and Rabbitohs won 20-8 so the double came in. Won £50 Morrison 66, Manassero 75 , Lampert 71. Won £90 Total won £140 In the bank £1527.66

£40 Japan Women to beat Australia Women @11/10 (BS) £100 Portugal U21 v Germany U21 OVER 1.5 goals @2/5 (BV) £80 Andrew Johnston to beat Johan Carlsson @5/4 (BMW Golf 2 ball 10.59) (BV) Best bet of the day