Arkle Challenge Trophy > Tuesday March 10th @ 2:05pm

Re: Arkle Challenge Trophy > Tuesday March 10th @ 2:05pm 2015 Arkle Chase Trends 7 of the last 14 winners were officially either top-rated or second top-rated hurdler in the field 9 of the last 11 winners had either won at Cheltenham or placed at the Festival before 15 of the last 22 runnings have been won be the 2nd, 3rd or 4th favourites 5 of the last 11 winners finished in the first 4 in a novice hurdle at last season’s Cheltenham Festival Nicky Henderson has trained 5 winners 5 of the last 8 winners had won a pattern race over hurdles Only 2 of the last 15 winners was not officially rated 142+ over hurdles Only 2 of the last 28 winners failed to win or place last time out Just 1 of the last 33 winners made most of the running Only 2 of the last 24 winners started bigger than 11/1 Only 2 of the last 17 winners had fallen or unseated their rider over fences

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Arkle Challenge Trophy > Tuesday March 10th @ 2:05pm Hard to look past the favourite Un De Sceaux but Paddy Power's offer gives us the opportunity to back an alternative each way with the win part returned if the favourite obliges (as a free Bet). 26 declared at the latest stage with a few unlikely to line up..... Willie Mullins has 5 left in this including Un De Sceaux. Vautor will only run in this if Un De Sceaux has a set back and will line up in the JLT. Blood Cotil more likely to run in one of the handicap chases at the festival. Adriana Des Mottes has yet to run over fences at the minimum trip, unlikely runner for me at the festival. Gitane Du Berlais again yet to run at the minimum trip and betting suggests JLT novice chase. So hard to look beyond Un De Sceaux as the only Mullins representative in this race, no need for a pace maker as Un De Sceaux will making the running with a catch me if you can atttitude! For me Un De Sceaux will win or fall or unseat Ruby from the saddle. Lets look at the other's left in the betting..... Un Ace - 11 length 8th in the Supreme last year. Needs to improve to figure in the Arkle and more likely to run in the Grade 3 handicap chase on Thursday. Sizing Granite - Just the one entry in the Arkle for the festival. Won twice at minimum trip. Will improve but good enough for a place? For me a likely runner but to much improvement needed. Smashing - 2nd entry from Henry De Bromhead stable and more likely to go for the JLT. 12 length 2nd to Un De Sceaux in December. Sgt Reckless - Strange prep for an Arkle runner with just 1 previous chase run and win. Not enough experience for me to consider. Also holds a County handicap hurdle entry. Clarcam - Also has a Champion chase entry (highly unlikely) and Grand Annual handicap chase Entry. 15 length 2nd to Un De Sceaux in January. Three Kingdoms - Only beating once in 4 chase runs when going down by 1/2 length to Vibrato Valtat. Flat pedigree but been a big surprise over fences. Holds a JLT entry but this most likely target. God's Own - Grade 1 novice chase winner at Punchestown. Needs further and JLT an alternative. Stellar Notion - More likely to be seen in the novice handicap chase later in the day. Josses Hill - Has entry in JLT but trainer Nicky Henderson has had this as target all season. Likely runner but loses a lot of ground with big jumping. Dunraven Storm - This or the Grand Annual handicap chase. Has won here and been a big surprise this year. Closely matched to Vibrato Valtat (won 1, 2nd other). Grumeti - This or Grand Annual handicap chase. For me this will be his race as stable will send other runner to Grand Annual. Turn Over Sivola - Again Grand Annual or the Arkle. Most likely to be Grand Annual or nothing. Same stable as Grumeti. Top Gamble - Also has JLT entry but all chase runs at around 2m. Never run over fences further than 2m 1f. This race or nothing. Ted Veale - Fell last year in this race and has 2 handicap entries (1 chase and 1 Hurdles). 17 lengths behind Clarcam in latest chase run. Chris Pea Green - Also has Grand Annual handicap chase entry. 1st or 2nd in all his 6 chase runs. Do not think able to improve anymore. Vibrato Valtat - 5 chase runs with just 1 2nd and has the been ahead of a number of rivals in this race. Only entry at festival and will line up barring any setback. Sail By The Sea - Same connections as last year's winner Western Warhorse. Just 2 chase runs bit only entry at festival. Will run. Melodic Rendezvous - Has entry in JLT bit best hurdles form at the minimum trip. If the ground soft or heavy would be a contender for a place. I would favour this over the JLT as struggled last time out at 2m 4.5f at Kempton. Court Minstrel - Course winner over fences and hurdles and this only festival entry. Hammered by Vibrato Valtat Cold March - Hold 4 chase entry's for the festival and most likely to be seen in one of the handicap chases probably the novice chase later that day. Jockey tactics are going to play a big part in this as big decisions will need to be made. Do you go with Un De Sceaux or sit back and let him go! Those who go with him will be very tired at the end and could really struggle up the hill. Probably need something with the ability to see out 2m 4f. Those that sit back are going to have to make up a lot of ground late on but could run past very tired horses. Josses Hill's jumping concerns me but will have the assistance of top jockey Barry Geraghty in the saddle who will probably nurse him around ready for a big rally up the hill. Gets 2m 4f so staminia will be a big help. Sail By The Sea is a big unknown but from last years winning connections. A similar run by jockey Tom Scudamore to what he gave Western Warhorse could also get this outsider into the places. Josses Hill - EW @ 10\1 PP (Money back If UDS wins for win bet) Sail By The Sea - EW @ 33\1 PP (Money back If UDS wins for win bet)

Re: Arkle Challenge Trophy > Tuesday March 10th @ 2:05pm Nice preview Smarty. Did one myself back in January in the NH Ante-Post thread so I might as well share it here.

Arkle Trophy Chase -Un de Sceaux (5/2) His aggressive attacking style is fantastic to watch but under the pressure of an Arkle over stiff Cheltenham fences I just get the feeling he could throw in a little mistake. Couple that with the fact he's never raced on anything better than soft I can't have him at this price. He's that type of horse who could make those who backed him or opposed him very stupid. -Vautour (8/1) I have a feeling Vautour could be Ricci's Gold Cup horse in the future as he jumps like someone who could do better over further. His Sire has produced the likes of Sir Des Champs and Quevega who were class acts over longer distances and I wouldn't be surprised to see Vautour follow suit. With stable companion Un de Sceaux for the Arkle I reckon Ricci will be happy to go for the JLT. -Josses Hill (10/1) Had a setback earlier in the season which is why we only saw Josses Hill over fences for the first time coming up to Christmas and he looked very inexperienced on his reappearance. He showed he will stay the JLT trip in that race but I reckon he'll go for the Arkle which looks less competitive and he was a very impressive 2m novice hurdler. He should come on a lot for that run but with not long left to Cheltenham now he's got some catching up to do against rivals who have three or four starts over fences already. Josses Hill kept Dunraven Storm 10L back who has form with Vibrato Valtat but with the way Dunraven Storm faded I would think that race was too soon for him and he would have hated the ground. -Clarcam (10/1) Clarcam is a good horse but I can't believe he's so short for an Arkle. Just days before his clash against Vautour bets were matched at nearly 200/1 for Gordon Elliot's charge to win the Arkle and I can't believe he's so short after winning a race which completely fell a part on heavy ground. I'm reading little into that race as Vautour smashed Clarcam on the bridle giving weight on his chasing debut. -Gilgamboa (12/1) Was mighty impressive in Limerick over 2m 3.5f so I see no reason why they would drop him back down in trip for the Arkle. He won on heavy over 2m 4f last season and on breeding he could be a 3m horse in time so it looks like he'll head for the JLT. -Ptit Zig (20/1) Has had a wonderful campaign so far but Nicholls has said he will head for the JLT unless the going gets soft. -Vibrato Valtat (20/1) Already a Grade 1 and 2 winner I feel this Nicholls horse is being underrated here. He's not an eye catching jumper with a big arcing leap like Vautour but he's quick and effective over his fences which is what you want in an Arkle. He travels strongly in his races and likes a good solid gallop which he will get in this contest especially with Un de Sceaux in the field. Irish Saint went into their Sandown clash as favourite but Nicholls admitted Vibrato Valtat had real ability after the race although he was also keen to stress the talent Irish Saint has over a longer trip. Vibrato Valtat has shown a really good attitude learning a great deal with each start and proved he's not just a bridle horse when he hit the front earlier than he would have liked, idled a bit before battling back to regain the lead over the smart Three Kingdoms. -The Rest Three Kingdoms was beaten fair and sqaure by Vibrato Valtat and I just feel the Nicholls horse has more scope for improvement so I can't really see him reversing the form. Sgt Reckless is a proper spring horse so I do think he's one to watch out for over the coming months but I don't think he has the class to win an Arkle and I thought Channon's decision to send him back over hurdles over Christmas was strange. Court Minstrel looks better over hurdles although Grumeti will relish the drier ground at Cheltenham and looks a little big at 40/1. He did well winning a decent novice chase a few days ago after being very weak in the betting and I reckon he'll be better when Cheltenham comes. -The Verdict With a few of these looking set for the JLT I can see Vibrato Valtat going off at least 3rd favourite with not much threatening from lower down in the betting. He reminds me a bit of Silviniaco Conti who like Vibrato Valtat doesn't win his races by much, can be a little suspect when in the lead, is not particularly striking over fences which has led him to be underrated. Nicholls has been a genius with headgear this season and he may be saving cheek pieces for a big Cheltenham run which will sharpen him up heading up the hill. He hasn't won at Cheltenham before but he's gone close twice, first when he found nothing off the bridle when looking the winner and secondly when understandably he was produced late and left with too much to do. Since then he has gone from strength to strength showing more versatility and just looks like a really progressive type who could find more even without headgear. If he was the horse he is now two months ago he would have won both those races at Cheltenham nicely and I don't think the hill will pose problems any more. Vibrato Valtat - Win @ 20/1 Ladbrokes
No need for headgear after that performance at Warwick and he's gone from strength to strength this season. Obviously Un De Sceaux looks very hard to beat after destroying Clarcam and Gilgamboa but you never know how he'll deal with that downhill fence and the first in the straight on probably the quickest ground he's experienced. Still, in hindsight I wish I went each way but I like betting win only most of the time. I can see people being put off Vibrato Valtat at 11/2 with his Cheltenham record but he had an excuse or two in the past and he looks a completely different animal these days so it's probably a fair price after that Warwick run. Looking forward to this race anyway as it should be quite a spectacle.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Arkle Challenge Trophy > Tuesday March 10th @ 2:05pm It will be interesting to see how Un De Sceaux does in this race as he could be a superstar but a lot has been said in the preview evenings of those close to the horse regarding how he will cope with the occasion which would give me enough doubts to start with even when you take into consideration that the form of his runs hasnt worked out that brilliantly as yet and that it has traditionally been a front runners grave yard. I dont normally give credence to such stats but I never thought I would see Champagne Fever chinned on the line up the hill, especially not by the rogue that won! I will take him on with two. My first bet will be Vibrato Valtat who has been well enough advertised on here already. He jumps well, he now battles and he has a turn of foot. Everything about this race will suit him. My second selection will be an EW on Three Kingdoms. I liked his run against VV where the latter just found a little more, and his other novice runs have been of a good standard as well beating horses that have shown at least a solid level of form. Connections of this horse have mentioned that a the horse will prefer further and the JLT may still be under consideration but given that UDS will run off from the front this horse could be the 2015 Western Warhorse in that the test of stamina will play to his strengths and he can pip the field up the hill. I can certainly see him going close and at current odds he is worth EW consideration.

Re: Arkle Challenge Trophy > Tuesday March 10th @ 2:05pm un de sceaux could be anything and this tends to go to a low priced fancied horse but for me three kingdoms is way overpriced at 25/1 .......has collateral form with the 2nd fav but I think he improved next time out and so that has to give him a decent ew shout .....good value and nice bet three kingdoms 5pts ew 25/1 paddyp

Re: Arkle Challenge Trophy > Tuesday March 10th @ 2:05pm ......2.05 Cheltenham: Racing Post Arkle Chase (2m) The Irish will be looking to the favourite Un De Sceaux to get them back on track in the Arkle, the home side has won the last four renewals. The race normally goes to something at the front end of the market but Western Warhorse won last year at 33/1 just to show anything’s possible. Six of the best; Un De Sceaux – Many peoples idea of the banker of the whole meeting but we mustn’t forget he fell on his chasing debut when 1/8 at Thurles. Very impressive since, winning at Fairyhouse and Leopardstown and was much the best of these over hurdles. Will no doubt make the running and will be an exciting ride for Ruby Walsh, if he jumps round he should win but it will be interesting to see if anything can unsettle him. Vibrato Valtat – Very much on the upgrade and a much better chaser than a hurdler already. Was beaten here at Cheltenham by Dunraven Storm but put that right next time out when winning the HenryVIII Chase at Sandown. Likes to lay off a good pace so the race should work out well for him, its just a question of how close he can get to the favourite. Josses Hill – Second to Vautour in the Supreme last year and a lot was expected over fences this season. He did win at Doncaster but has been beaten twice in better races by Ptit Zig and Third Intention. That form is not good enough to win this and hasn’t looked at complete natural over the bigger obstacles. If things clicked he could cause a surprise but it’s a big if. Clarcam – Two from four over fences and has been well beaten by Un De Sceaux and Vautour. Won the Grade 1 Racing Post Novices Chase so has plenty of ability but as over hurdles you get that feeling that he’s not quite in the top division and may once again have to play second fiddle and settle for minor honours unless something happens to the favourite. Sgt Reckless- Trainer Mick Channon never shies away from anything and his Sgt Reckless will line up in the Arkle after just one run over fences. He won at Uttoxeter in good style and then next time took on Faugheen at Kempton in the Xmas Hurdle. Last time out he won on the AW at Lingfield so a very unconventional route to the Festival. Obviously lacks experience but a very talented individual. Three Kingdoms – Has won three of his four starts over fences and his only defeat was a narrow second to Vibrato Valtat at Kempton in a Grade 1 contest. A very strong traveller in his races which will suit here as the early pace could get a few off the bridle. Jumps well in the main and has each way claims in a fascinating contest and has AP booked to ride. Verdict: Exciting race in prospect and I don’t think there is any doubt that the odds on favourite Un De Sceaux will go hard from the gate and hope to get all of his rivals in trouble by half way. If it comes off he will win well but I’m not interested at around 4/6. Josses Hill has the class but has not looked a natural as yet over fences and maybe an each-way punt on one of the outsiders is the way to go. Sgt Reckless and Three Kingdoms are useful sorts at big prices and if pushed I’d side with the Mick Channon horse. Sgt Reckless 1pt EW 20/1 Paddy Power

Re: Arkle Challenge Trophy > Tuesday March 10th @ 2:05pm Cheltenham 2:05 - Racing Post Arkle Challenge Trophy Chase(Grade 1) (1) 2m I think, like most, that Un De Sceaux is pretty much a good thing for the Arkle, but I don't back odds-on shots at Cheltenham as a rule. In the without Un De Sceaux market, I like DUNRAVEN STORM each-way @ 25/1 with Sky Bet and I see the price as a bit of value. He is now the ripe old age of 10, but if he can repeat his Arkle Trial run from November, I can certainly see him finishing in the first four. He beat Vibrato Valtat on that occasion, and the Paul Nicholls horse is 2nd favourite for the Arkle tomorrow, so for me it's clear where the value lies. He was below par at Ascot last time out when a well beat 3rd behind Ptit Zig and Josses Hill, and Vibrato Valtat did gain revenge at Sandown since, but he should be in contention turning for home and I am confident I will get a run for my money. >>>>> Dunraven Storm (W/o Un De Sceaux) - 1 Point each-way @ 25/1 Sky Bet https://www.punterslounge.com/cheltenham-festival/

Re: Arkle Challenge Trophy > Tuesday March 10th @ 2:05pm For me UN DE SCEAUX looks a real probable winner and his price is about right. I'll look for some EW value though and GOD'S OWN for Tom George and Paddy Brennan just gets the nod form DUNRAVEN STORM, both of interest at 50s or around. The former won the Ryanair novice chase at Punchestown then stayed on from subsequent 86k Ascot chase winner Balder Succes in an Exeter G2. He should relish this test and is clearly a talented horse. He's had a break since a couple of disappointing efforts at the tail-end of the year and can be thereabouts here.

Re: Arkle Challenge Trophy > Tuesday March 10th @ 2:05pm

For me UN DE SCEAUX looks a real probable winner and his price is about right. I'll look for some EW value though and GOD'S OWN for Tom George and Paddy Brennan just gets the nod form DUNRAVEN STORM, both of interest at 50s or around. The former won the Ryanair novice chase at Punchestown then stayed on from subsequent 86k Ascot chase winner Balder Succes in an Exeter G2. He should relish this test and is clearly a talented horse. He's had a break since a couple of disappointing efforts at the tail-end of the year and can be thereabouts here.

Re: Arkle Challenge Trophy > Tuesday March 10th @ 2:05pm One UK Horse and one Irish Horse. Josses Hill - Win @ 6\1 Betfair SB (Without Fav) Already backed this EW with PP (See Post further up). Jockey Barry Geraghty is one of the best on board a novice chaser and will ensure that Josses Hill jumps around safely ready for a charge up the hill to try to catch Un De Sceaux. Un De Sceaux - Win @ 8\11 Bet365 I believe that Un De Sceaux is a worthy favourite and is the most exciting horse to come to Cheltenham this year. Going to be a rollercoaster ride but likely to smash up the opposition with a fast front running performance.

Re: Arkle Challenge Trophy > Tuesday March 10th @ 2:05pm Racing Post Arkle Trophy A healthy-sized field of 11 compared to recent seasons and even more so when we consider that Un De Sceaux would probably be sent off Champion Chase favourite if he headed down that route after running to a rating that would have won him every Arkle in the last 20 years except for Sprinter Sacre’s when he blitzed two class acts in the Irish Arkle. He wasn’t as headstrong on that occasion but this atmosphere on his first run at Cheltenham will be unlike anything he has faced before and the fact remains no horse has made all since 1980 though Azertyuyiop led from the third obstacle. Remarkably, Ruby Walsh has also not ridden a winner over fences at the Festival since Kauto Star took his second Gold Cup six years ago. The big stat in his favour is that five winners since 2000 were the best hurdler in the race and he is comfortably that. Dunraven Storm would be the oldest ever Arkle winner if he can win at the age of ten so that looks highly unlikely and I don’t like the absence of 94 days for Court Minstrel. As with the other Grade 1 novice events at the Festival, my personal preference irrespective of trends is that I much prefer to side with a contender that has been given a prep run, to get the freshness out of their system ahead of the day that really matters more than anything. Only Simonsig and Sizing Europe of Arkle winners since 1997 had not run during the same calendar year. Just three of the last 23 winners were older than seven and Court Minstrel is eight as is Sgt Reckless. Seven of the last 12 winners had won at Cheltenham before (six in pattern races) but, purely looking at previous Cheltenham Festival form, although nine of the last 11 winners had been successful or finished placed at this meeting in the past is a strong steer in its own right, arguably even more interesting is that five of those 11 winners had finished in the first four in a novice hurdle at this meeting the previous season and that brings in the Supreme second and fourth, Josses Hill and Sgt Reckless. Whether Josses Hill jumps well enough and whether Sgt Reckless has enough chasing experience are the main sticking points with this pair. Josses Hill might jump better in a championship race at a strong pace but he might be even worse, who knows, but his trainer has won this race five times before. Sgt Reckless has only had one chase start, though that didn’t stop the Pond House-trained winners, Well Chief and Western Warhorse. Talking of Pond House and David Pipe runs Sail By The Sea for last year’s winning owner who has one more start over fences and impressed at Chepstow last time out. Vibrato Valtat has been running in all the right races in Britain placing in the November Novices’ Chase before winning the Henry VIII, Wayward Lad and Kingmaker, and they are the best British trials. An improved horse since a wind operation, he is officially only 4lb behind Un De Sceaux on British ratings and looks the pick of the British defence to give Paul Nicholls a third win in the Arkle. He beat Three Kingdoms more cosily than the margin suggested at Kempton and he should hold McCoy’s mount on that running. Vibrato Valtat was rated only 138 over hurdles though and just two of the last 15 winners were not rated as high as 142 over timber. Gods Own is a second-season novice who won the Haldon Gold Cup back in the autumn but lost his way in two subsequent runs on soft ground. He has since been freshened up and will enjoy the better surface. In addition to Un De Sceaux, the Irish send over Clarcam and Smashing who have both been well beaten by the sure-fire odds-on favourite already this season. Clarcam had previously won a Grade 1 by 17l at Leopardstown but he had an 11lb age allowance that day which is now totally wiped out. Smashing paid the price for trying to live with Un De Sceaux last time and has impressed in victory since and it interesting they run him rather than Sizing Granite who would have had place claims. Short List Josses Hill (Vibrato Valtat) (Sgt Reckless) Conclusion Nicky Henderson’s superb record in the race and having placed in the Supreme last year mean that JOSSES HILL earns a place on a trends-based short list but if you back him you might want to watch from behind the sofa when he approaches an obstacle. VIBRATO VALTAT doesn’t have the hurdles rating but other than that he has the right credentials to run a big race having improved from run to run this season in all the right races and for a stable with two wins in the race and he looks a solid each-way alternative if you don’t fancy the short odds about Un De Sceaux. The top rated hurdler in the race Un De Sceaux may be, but front running is hard to pull off in this race and he has fallen in one of his three chase starts and might be better bullying opposition on flat tracks. Being a five-year-old with no allowance makes it hard to select Clarcam in a trends shortlist but he is a dependable, professional horse with a sound jumping technique that might be ridden for a place so he is of place-only interest. SGT RECKLESS was fourth in last season’s Supreme and last year’s Arkle winner won off the back of just one chase start so it can be done so he completes the short list having looked a good jumper in that one win at Uttoxeter. The faster the ground, the better his chance.

Does Any one fancy Clarcam(14-1)?.. ..Not sure of its chance as i dont really follow NH top racing but they do fancy it,but i suppose they all do.. :)
I had a meal with Eddie O'Leary last Monday night, and I assure you they think Clarcam has no chance of beating Un De Sceaux. Bet on the W/o FAV market is the way to go, could nick 2nd if on a going day.

I had a meal with Eddie O'Leary last Monday night, and I assure you they think Clarcam has no chance of beating Un De Sceaux. Bet on the W/o FAV market is the way to go, could nick 2nd if on a going day.
Look at you dining with the high rollers :)

Look at you dining with the high rollers :)
Wasn't trying to brag about it mate, I was invited to it by a friend of mine who's in with them, I just sat in the corner and said nothing whilst him, Barney etc waffled on. :lol But nice to hear their honest opinions, as they said they don't give much away at the actual preview.

Re: Arkle Challenge Trophy > Tuesday March 10th @ 2:05pm Vibrato Valtat is the bet for me at the prices. Fits all the trends. Big stat going against Un De Sceaux if he bolts off in front, 32 of the last 33 winners chose not to make the running.

Wasn't trying to brag about it mate' date=' I was invited to it by a friend of mine who's in with them, I just sat in the corner and said nothing whilst him, Barney etc waffled on. :lol But nice to hear their honest opinions, as they said they don't give much away at the actual preview.[/quote'] I was only playing with yer... I bet you had your ears pricked that night! Interesting what they said about the preview nights though!

Re: Arkle Challenge Trophy > Tuesday March 10th @ 2:05pm 2.05 Cheltenham - 1pt e/w Three Kingdoms @ 22/1 (Bet365) Similar to the Supreme, the favourite will take all the beating here but if his exhuberance costs him then I wouldn't be surprised to see my selection pounce. I know Vibrato Valtat is the most likely beneficiary on paper but this horse has form tied in closely with that one both over hurdles and fences and should really enjoy a strong gallop. Paul Nicholls' charge will too but my horse stays powerfully and did well to win at Doncaster last time after a shuddering mistake a couple of fences out. Looks a big price to make the frame.