** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

Arsenal v AS Monaco > Wednesday February 25th

Aidymac

• 2 months later...

Re: Arsenal v AS Monaco > Wednesday February 25th Arsenal will beat Monaco,of that i have no doubt.I bet against Monaco twice in the last week with teams that would struggle in the Championship and won both bets.Monaco cant score,its that simple.They had no penetration in both matches and will be run ragged by Arsenal just trying to stop them,let alone mount effective attacks with an end product.I don't like handicap betting just in case errors are made and a fluke goal can come out of nothing, but it must be worth a small wager anyway.I will be going big on an Arsenal win at 8/15 with Bet 365.These two teams are worlds apart on recent form and if this bet fails to deliver it will be a massive shock to me.Berbatov may try harder than recent games but still wont be enough to stop Arsenal winning.

Re: Arsenal v AS Monaco > Wednesday February 25th Monaco are a side simply not built to do battle in this competition. Look at their midfield 3: Toulalon a player of the past, Kondogbia a player for the future, and Jao Moutinho is the only real one you can say is top class at this very moment. It's basically the same situation upfront with old man Berbatov flanked by preschoolers. Their manager Leonardo Jardim has managed Olympiakos and Sporting Lisbon and admittedly I don't know much about him. But at home against a French side is right up Wenger's Arsene and he'll suffer no surprises here. Monaco came out of a group with Benfica, Leverkusen and a hapless Zenit so away at Emirates now is a step up and it may be a step to far. Arsenal will want to bring as much insurance to France as possible just in case. You never know in this competition. I see Monaco struggling with the pace and movement and the lack of possession grinding them down over 90 mins. I will take Arsenal -1 AH @ 1.93 Marathon as I see it's 1.88 elsewhere and falling. Saw this comment on whoscored.com and it made me laugh out loud because of the truth in it: "We'll win this tie easily then face a proper team and get killed. We'll then finish 3rd or 4th in the league this season to get into next season's champions league competition, the Wenger apologists will say what a genius he is for finishing well off the pace of the eventual title winner although we have multiple world class players in the squad and the same will happen next year. Rinse and repeat. For this game I predict 3-0, Sanchez MotM."

Re: Arsenal v AS Monaco > Wednesday February 25th

Monaco are a side simply not built to do battle in this competition. Look at their midfield 3: Toulalon a player of the past, Kondogbia a player for the future, and Jao Moutinho is the only real one you can say is top class at this very moment. It's basically the same situation upfront with old man Berbatov flanked by preschoolers. Their manager Leonardo Jardim has managed Olympiakos and Sporting Lisbon and admittedly I don't know much about him. But at home against a French side is right up Wenger's Arsene and he'll suffer no surprises here.
:lol I think you're correct, but I think Monaco have kept it tight in their CL games and can do so again here. I'll probably have a go at the correct score 1-0, which is around six something.

Re: Arsenal v AS Monaco > Wednesday February 25th Arsenal + Under 2.5 would be the bet for me. Arsenal looking good in attack and will surely dominate the whole match against Monaco. I know Leonardo Jardim well. He was the manager of my club Sporting Portugal last season. Honestly, I'm pretty sure he is coming to the Emirates to score 1 goal but Arsenal isn't Benfica, Bayer Leverkusen or Zenit: it is a much better team. But when it comes to defending, Leonardo Jardim is world class (I mean it) organizing a deep defensive line. Players from Monaco will also give 150% for this match, as title is almost impossible atm. Arsenal will not have that many chances to score as it seems, IMO. However I would recommend low stakes. 0.3 units or so. This is not an official tip as well :p just a little thought.

Re: Arsenal v AS Monaco > Wednesday February 25th Interesting what you say about Jardim. Certainly would explain why Monaco have been so solid in the CL so far. Arsenal are by far the best team they will have faced so far, but in some ways it may be easier for the Monaco players to sit deep and concentrate against Arsenal than against a Zenit, Leverkusen or Benfica.

Re: Arsenal v AS Monaco > Wednesday February 25th i think monaco will not lose this match. they have been excellent in the champions league this year even finishing first in their group. defensive quality has seen them come this far and their tactics is based on solid defense and quick counter attacks and they use it very effectively. i think they will set up for a draw and can certainly get it and finish arsenal off in france

Re: Arsenal v AS Monaco > Wednesday February 25th If you check the standings you will also see that Monaco is the best defence of Ligue 1 on par with Lyon, first placed. Only 19 goals conceded in 25 matches. For the Champions League away they faced tough opposition and only conceded one goal in the whole group stage! Against Benfica (1-0) and were unlucky not to have drawn that one. Against tough opposition in Ligue 1, they drew against PSG away (1-1), St. Etienne (1-1) and lost against Lyon (1-2). Their bigger loss was against Bordeaux (1-4) but it was the second match of the season and Leonardo Jardim was still testing the team and defensive process was still not good enough. And honestly, except the two main CBs (Abdennour and Ricardo Carvalho) and GK Subasic, the fullbacks other players aren't really that good (although Fabinho is doing a heck of a season). The manager is really good in deploying defensive formations and processes, I consider himself world class actually. I mean, he had a defensive line last season that consisted of Jefferson, Mauricio (awful CB, now on Lazio, did a blunder this week), Rojo (good player but a bit overrated) and Cedric (awful defensively) and guess what? We ended up with the best defence of the league. Take for example last match. Monaco played 45 minutes with 10 players, and even managed to score on the 84th minute and won! I said it before and I will say it again: this could be a very, very tricky round for Arsenal. Everyone said Monaco would end 4th in their group, they ended up 1st! If Arsenal shows up thinking that this is done and dusted, they might as well go off in the 1/8s. I still think Arsenal will go through but this will not be that goal-friendly as it seems. Let's see if my guessing is right.

Re: Arsenal v AS Monaco > Wednesday February 25th 4pts Under 2.5 goals 1.78 BetVictor Arsenal will fancy their chances in this match and rightly so. This is an opportunity to go deeper into the tournament against a side not so fancied to do well unlike recent years when they’ve run into the likes of Bayern Munich and Barcelona at this stage. The opportunity could make everything a little tenser though and with Monaco defensively solid but perhaps lacking a top goal threat my money is on under 2.5 goals here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/arsenal-vs-monaco-betting-tension-and-expectation-can-lead-to-few-goals

Under 2.5 @ 1.8 seems like a good bet for me. Monaco away games has only gone over 2.5 twice in 18 away games this season.
It is almost irrelevant how 18 or 180 games have gone for any team in different competitions. This is CL, a totally different competition, where quoting league or domestic cup results is simply a joke - we know these results as we all bet in the respective leagues too. And I have seen many ''tight'' teamS being absolutely pulverized by Arsenal...in the Champions League. Often enough... Surely Monaco will try to keep it tight, surely this could be a 1-0, 2-0 low scoring game, but surely not because of the reasoning you give us here... I see the game with Wenger looking for an early start and a goal. If this happens, he won't rush his guys, gradually they will build up for a second, as a 2-0 win is an almost certain qualifier. Therefore your pick makes sense. Yet NO BET for me, in-play only. This is the game I will watch on that night, because given an extra inch of space, and with the pace they can create at certain moment, Arsenal can complete the Over themselves. And who says Monaco can not score? NO BET...

If you check the standings you will also see that Monaco is the best defence of Ligue 1 on par with Lyon, first placed. Only 19 goals conceded in 25 matches. For the Champions League away they faced tough opposition and only conceded one goal in the whole group stage! Against Benfica (1-0) and were unlucky not to have drawn that one. Against tough opposition in Ligue 1, they drew against PSG away (1-1), St. Etienne (1-1) and lost against Lyon (1-2). Their bigger loss was against Bordeaux (1-4) but it was the second match of the season and Leonardo Jardim was still testing the team and defensive process was still not good enough. And honestly, except the two main CBs (Abdennour and Ricardo Carvalho) and GK Subasic, the fullbacks other players aren't really that good (although Fabinho is doing a heck of a season). The manager is really good in deploying defensive formations and processes, I consider himself world class actually. I mean, he had a defensive line last season that consisted of Jefferson, Mauricio (awful CB, now on Lazio, did a blunder this week), Rojo (good player but a bit overrated) and Cedric (awful defensively) and guess what? We ended up with the best defence of the league. Take for example last match. Monaco played 45 minutes with 10 players, and even managed to score on the 84th minute and won! I said it before and I will say it again: this could be a very, very tricky round for Arsenal. Everyone said Monaco would end 4th in their group, they ended up 1st! If Arsenal shows up thinking that this is done and dusted, they might as well go off in the 1/8s. I still think Arsenal will go through but this will not be that goal-friendly as it seems. Let's see if my guessing is right.
You are the second tipster here who makes his prediction on this game based on the French League. Why? It is a different level, different tactics, different teams in CL. Don't tell us to check the stats in France, me and many more know these stats, but they are irrelevant here mostly... Yes, Monaco is steady at the back, yes, the game looks underish...I don't need to check any French stats, I know Monaco did 6 out of 6 Unders in the group stage of CL this Season. For these stas I stay away from this game, and will only follow it in-play. Yet will it be a big surprise to the footballing world if Arsenal win this game 3-0, 3-1, given enough space and time during the game? I won't be, just as I posted above, Arsenal are in CL forever (almost) and I have seen them thrashing bigger and better organized teams... GL tomorrow

Re: Arsenal v AS Monaco > Wednesday February 25th I'm happy to back Monaco here at current odds. Arsenal probably have the stronger squad (Transfermarkt values their squad over 3 times as much as Monaco's) and have played superb attacking football at times this season. Monaco's strength is their defence, as others have said here. They conceded one goal in their six group games (away to Benfica). Both sides shots stats from the group games are similar. I wouldn't be surprised if Arsenal win by a few goals, but given the group records and shots stats, I think it makes sense to back Monaco. Monaco beat Arsenal 1-0 last August in the pre-season 'Emirates Cup'. Monaco +1AH 2.08 Marathon Stake: 5 points

Re: Arsenal v AS Monaco > Wednesday February 25th Wenger played an all out attack game against palace on Saturday with Giroud,Ozil,Wellbeck and Sanchez all starting first time together and they managed an early lead and concludes the first-half with a 2-0 lead. In a press conference,Arsene told that he wanted to see how the 4 combined and when substituting Ozil,Sanchez and Wellbeck,we all see how palace came over them with a near equalizing goal hitting the bar. So if Arsene goes all out attack again,im expecting them to take the lead before half time even if Monaco defense is good and can't see Wenger substituting them again early or late 2nd half substitution of one attacking player after leadind,but Arsenal is a better to watch team as we all know. Interesting opta stats here:Alexis Sanchez has scored in each of his three Champions League games at the Emirates this season Preferably Will go for Sanchez anytime @ 2.80 bwin

You are the second tipster here who makes his prediction on this game based on the French League. Why? It is a different level, different tactics, different teams in CL. Don't tell us to check the stats in France, me and many more know these stats, but they are irrelevant here mostly... Yes, Monaco is steady at the back, yes, the game looks underish...I don't need to check any French stats, I know Monaco did 6 out of 6 Unders in the group stage of CL this Season. For these stas I stay away from this game, and will only follow it in-play. Yet will it be a big surprise to the footballing world if Arsenal win this game 3-0, 3-1, given enough space and time during the game? I won't be, just as I posted above, Arsenal are in CL forever (almost) and I have seen them thrashing bigger and better organized teams... GL tomorrow
The stats in French League were only to explain the reasoning that even against big teams, Monaco are a typical Under 2.5 and very steady at the back. If you knew me around, you would know that I usually reject a stats analysis per se. What matters about the stats is why they happen. And they happen because Monaco are a defensive team, and besides being one, they have a manager that knows how to build the defensive process. Different competitions, of course, I also said that. But don't you think Monaco will give 150% here? And what about the fact that they only conceded once in 6 matches, and against teams with big offensive potential? It is just an opinion. I stated it is not an official pick and I expect Monaco to make it very hard to Arsenal. Yes, you could also be right and it could end 3-0 and sometimes teams like Arsenal, when they are on their best and if especially Sanchez and Cazorla are up for it, Monaco has absolutely no chance. But I recognize there is some value in Arsenal + Unders 2.5, that's what I just calling ;)

Re: Arsenal v AS Monaco > Wednesday February 25th the heck with arsenal i am going outright win for monaco. the price on them is very good and bookies are underestimating them. i love the underdogs and since they are probably best defensive team in europe they will be tough to beat. there is every chance they could score one goal and if they do first then arsenal are going to have tough time breaking them down. i don't buy this they can't score bullshit. they can score goals and i expect too. arsenal are more liability to me as they push players forward i am certain they will be caught out by monaco counter attacking wing play

The stats in French League were only to explain the reasoning that even against big teams, Monaco are a typical Under 2.5 and very steady at the back. If you knew me around, you would know that I usually reject a stats analysis per se. What matters about the stats is why they happen. And they happen because Monaco are a defensive team, and besides being one, they have a manager that knows how to build the defensive process. Different competitions, of course, I also said that. But don't you think Monaco will give 150% here? And what about the fact that they only conceded once in 6 matches, and against teams with big offensive potential? It is just an opinion. I stated it is not an official pick and I expect Monaco to make it very hard to Arsenal. Yes, you could also be right and it could end 3-0 and sometimes teams like Arsenal, when they are on their best and if especially Sanchez and Cazorla are up for it, Monaco has absolutely no chance. But I recognize there is some value in Arsenal + Unders 2.5, that's what I just calling ;)
Now we speak the same language, the 6 out of 6 Unders for Monaco in the Group is what makes me stay away from the game, not their results in the French League. I also see Monaco becoming more defensive because they limited their attacking options, and compensate with strong focus at the back...Not very aggresive in the transfer period, right? They do not have the powerful ''penetration'' they had forward last season, when I saw many good attacking games from them...

the heck with arsenal i am going outright win for monaco. the price on them is very good and bookies are underestimating them. i love the underdogs and since they are probably best defensive team in europe they will be tough to beat. there is every chance they could score one goal and if they do first then arsenal are going to have tough time breaking them down. i don't buy this they can't score bullshit. they can score goals and i expect too. arsenal are more liability to me as they push players forward i am certain they will be caught out by monaco counter attacking wing play
I love your posts, sajtion :ok :loon, love the spirit! GL

Now we speak the same language, the 6 out of 6 Unders for Monaco in the Group is what makes me stay away from the game, not their results in the French League. I also see Monaco becoming more defensive because they limited their attacking options, and compensate with strong focus at the back...Not very aggresive in the transfer period, right? They do not have the powerful ''penetration'' they had forward last season, when I saw many good attacking games from them...
even at the back they seem to be lacking depth. Abdennour and Carvalho are good CBs, Fabinho is developing well, Kurzawa is ok but the rest is below average. The real deal is the way that Leonardo Jardim mounts a strategy and knows how to build a solid defensive process. Upfront they don't have that many options, however Berbatov is always Berbatov, Martial is pacey and very useful, Carrasco and Bernardo Silva are two very creative players as well. But they depend too much on what they can do individually. Although I like sajtion spirit, I can't see Monaco winning here but a draw is likely. But I would still regard Arsenal + Under 2.5 as something to think about.

Re: Arsenal v AS Monaco > Wednesday February 25th You all are talking about the great defensive performance and the coach of Monaco, but there are a few important things to add. Left back Krzawa is doubtful (injured in the last game after only 35 minutes), while two the most experienced defenders Ricardo Carvalho and Raggi are definitely out. Another CB Abdennour was sent off for a high tackle in Monaco’s Friday night game against Nice and he will need to find his composure for this week’s trip to the Emirates. Young defensive midfielder Bakayoko is injured , but more important news is the suspension of another defensive midfielder - club captain Toulalan. How he is essential for the defense of the team and how good he is defensive midfielder in Ligue 1, see below. Toulalans-tackles.jpgToulalan-stats.png Probable line-ups... arsenal_monaco.0.png

Re: Arsenal v AS Monaco > Wednesday February 25th Arsenal v AS Monaco Arsenal: Ramsey (18/3 m), Arteta (7/0 m), Debuchy (10/1 d), Diaby (0/0 m), Wilshere (9/1 m), Oxlade-Chamberlain (21/1 f, doubtful) AS Monaco: Kurzawa (15/0 d), Ferreira-Carrasco (24/4 m, 2nd top scorer) (both doubtful), Bakayoko (10/0 m), R. Carvalho (16/0 d), Raggi (20/0 d), Toulalan (20/0 m), L. Traoré (6/1 f) Information from more then 50 football leagues and competitions at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

Re: Arsenal v AS Monaco > Wednesday February 25th In an overall underish game expected, I will go against the public, with another ''safety bet'', medium to high stakes - OVer 2 Goals at 1,575 bet365. I do not rule out Monaco scoring, and I also believe on a good day Arsenal can score in any CL game 2 or more goals... GL

Re: Arsenal v AS Monaco > Wednesday February 25th The draw has been kind to Arsenal and i feel tgey will not want to waste a really good chance to progress in CL. They cannot trust their away form too much so they'll want to put the tie to bed tonight. I think it will be tight early doors but with Cazorla and Giroud on form i can see Arsenal winning by more than 1. Arsenal (-1) for me.

Re: Arsenal v AS Monaco > Wednesday February 25th Arsenal is not as strong in offense as some of their fans believe they are. They ve always struggled against good defensive Teams, examples from this season are Southampton (Arsenal scored 1 in 2 games), Chelsea (lost 0:2) or Man United (scored 1 in 95. min). And dont tell me these Prem League games have nothing to do with today, because they just show that Arsenal has a real problem creating chances and scoring against teams that defend well like tonights opponent does. Think the under 2,5 is a pretty safe bet and the odds are great. I ll also have a small punt on 0-0 @9

Arsenal is not as strong in offense as some of their fans believe they are. They ve always struggled against good defensive Teams, examples from this season are Southampton (Arsenal scored 1 in 2 games), Chelsea (lost 0:2) or Man United (scored 1 in 95. min). And dont tell me these Prem League games have nothing to do with today, because they just show that Arsenal has a real problem creating chances and scoring against teams that defend well like tonights opponent does. Think the under 2,5 is a pretty safe bet and the odds are great. I ll also have a small punt on 0-0 @9
This post loses all credibility when you refer to manchester united as a good defensive team

You all are talking about the great defensive performance and the coach of Monaco, but there are a few important things to add. Left back Krzawa is doubtful (injured in the last game after only 35 minutes), while two the most experienced defenders Ricardo Carvalho and Raggi are definitely out. Another CB Abdennour was sent off for a high tackle in Monaco’s Friday night game against Nice and he will need to find his composure for this week’s trip to the Emirates. Young defensive midfielder Bakayoko is injured , but more important news is the suspension of another defensive midfielder - club captain Toulalan. How he is essential for the defense of the team and how good he is defensive midfielder in Ligue 1, see below. Toulalans-tackles.jpgToulalan-stats.png Probable line-ups... arsenal_monaco.0.png
Excellent info. Thanks. Even though, I think I will go through with a small punt in Arsenal + Under 2.5, currently best priced 3.3 on Unibet.

Re: Arsenal v AS Monaco > Wednesday February 25th Under 2.5 goals and both teams not to score were of interest to me but I think the value has gone on both. Since 03-04 in CL knockout ties where first legs have been played at Arsenal, they've gone under 2.5 in 5/9 (all games against sides of equal or less ability). The other 4 games were against Barcelona and Bayern Munich. Looking at those stats it seems that Wenger is happy to keep it tight in first legs rather than look to get the tie won. Low-scoring game for me but will sit back and watch rather than get involved. Sent from my SM-G900F using PL Forum

This post loses all credibility when you refer to manchester united as a good defensive team
To be fair, Man Utd have conceaded less goals in the league (26) this season than Arsenal (29) and only Southampton (19) Chelsea (22) & Man City (25) have conceaded less. So they aren't as bad at the back as it seems.

Re: Arsenal v AS Monaco > Wednesday February 25th Arsenal – Monaco – Arsenal To Win + Total Under 3.5 at 2.20 @ Marathonbet This is a game for the round of “16” of Champions League between Leverkusen and Atletico Madrid. Arsenal get back to their Champions League exploits as favorites to advance for the first time in the last few years. There are two in-form sides against each other, with Arsenal having won 8 of their last 9 competitive fixtures and Monaco having kept 10 clean sheets in their last 12 outings in all competitions. However, the Gunners should have too much firepower for the French club to deal with and should be able to ultimately claim the home win. Have in mind that Monaco is a good defensive team, will not be an easy opponent for Arsenal.