** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

FC Basel v Liverpool > Wednesday October 1st

Aidymac

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617]

[TR=class: row1] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]FC Basel v Liverpool (19:45 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.7[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.3[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]107.33 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• 2 weeks later...

Re: FC Basel v Liverpool > Wednesday October 1st 4pts Over 2.5 goals 8/11 BetVictor Liverpool look a little short to me in this match because Basel are no fools but the way Liverpool defend I think the best bet could be for there to be more than 2.5 goals in the match. Basel were opened up in Madrid two weeks ago and Liverpool have the pace to open them up too but it doesn’t take a huge amount to open Liverpool up at the back so I expect to see some goals here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/basel-vs-liverpool-betting-defences-can-be-opened-up-regularly-in-switzerland

Re: FC Basel v Liverpool > Wednesday October 1st basel have beaten bayern munich and chelsea at their home ground over the years against superior squad of players and this liverpool team doesn't convince me. they barely held on against ludogorets at home and rodgers is still fairly inexperienced at this level. as far as their season has been going its been underwhelming. they lack in creating chances and scoring goals especially from balotelli. its not easy match for liverpool and i can see basel taking all three points

Re: FC Basel v Liverpool > Wednesday October 1st

they say history repeats itself so let's see what happens although i think liverpool will not hold back if they fall goal behind. their style of football has been attacking so it could also be high scoring draw
Yes, I didn't say they will beat them (they held Tottenham to 2-2 draws, both times), it's just enough if they upset Liverpool by taking 1 point at home. But they are capable of even more, I think.

Besides' date=' Basel just have an affinity towards English teams. Chelsea, Tottenham and MU have already been their victims, now it's Liverpool's time.[/quote'] That was a few years back when Hakan Yakin was their manager.They were beating everyone in Switzerland and were giving hard time to the teams in Europe.It's different now.They are struggling in their local championship and seems that Paulo Sousa cannot get the right vibe which is affecting the team in negative way.Even though Lpool is far from their best days,i cannot see Basel winning tomorrow..Draw is the absolute maximum they can get @ 3.6 with bet365.GL!

Re: FC Basel v Liverpool > Wednesday October 1st how is struggling be top of the league beating likes of zurich & YB with easy at home ? i heard they are weaker in the back and proved that at bernabeu ..... but they look still strong at their league ..and good goin forward ... probably overs best shoot as above mentioned ..

Re: FC Basel v Liverpool > Wednesday October 1st Basel will feel they need a win here after the result in Madrid to stand a better chance of progression. They will find facing Liverpool at home a big drop in difficulty compared to going to the Bernabeu and watching the White Ballet dance circles around them. However it should be noted that in that match Basel fired 6 shots on target and saw 7 go wide for their 1 goal return in a 5-1 defeat. An important insight into the way this team plays football. Very aggressively without being overly concerned with self-preservation. Liverpool so far have turned out to be what I expected. A clunky stuttering thing that is not to be trusted. They are failing when the blow torch is applied and Gerrard is no longer able to carry them along. Balotelli isn’t the prolific goal scorer they think he is in Liverpool and he may show us more hairstyles than goals this season. They have threats in Sterling, Coutinho, Mario and I’m not up to speed on the Sturridge situation. One thing we know is they are always liable to concede a goal or two and that back four isn’t the kind with which this competition is won. Basel average the highest total goals per match in Switzerland with 3.70. Liverpool hold only the 12th highest average in the EPL but that number is still 2.83 goals per match. So the angle here is Basel have claimed some big scalps in their time. The most recent in memory is beating Chelsea home and away in last season’s group. They’ll be looking at this Liverpool team and planning to attack them and take 3 points as they’ll feel they have nothing to fear. They will go forward and leave spaces where players like Sterling can explode into and cause the defence havoc. Basel are always underrated and don’t get the recognition they deserve but always play good football and entertain in doing so. They need 3 points here and will feel Liverpool are ripe for the taking. I’m going with over 2.5 goals to be scored here @ 1.78 Pinnacle Good Luck! ByyHoAMIEAEuwpE.jpg

Re: FC Basel v Liverpool > Wednesday October 1st I also don't expect many goals here, the same was said last season about Basel's defence being weaker than the year before. I don't think its so true, many teams will concede many goals against Real Madrid. Liverpool are not in the same class for sure, Balotelli is extremely overrated and not in the same league as Suarez, who they miss desperately. I am going for Basel DC 1X, you have to respect their home record in europe down the years.

I am going for Basel DC 1X' date=' you have to respect their home record in europe down the years.[/quote'] To support your view, I heard Rodger in the pre-match say something along the lines of domestic priorities. He said everything except "the league is our priority" and the careful approach he took was telling. I thought to myself, fancy mentioning that in the CL press interview. We may see some omissions.

Re: FC Basel v Liverpool > Wednesday October 1st I don't see that myself, Toto. They won their first CL game and surely want to continue their good work today. Regards goals, I don't believe opposing goals is the way to go. Basel are a very unders team at home in the CL historically, but I look at them every week and there appears to be more goals than under Yakin, maybe down to the way Sousa has them playing? I know domestic is different from Europe, but conceding a lot of goals is still conceding a lot of goals.

Re: FC Basel v Liverpool > Wednesday October 1st I am not very passionate about goals here, mainly because of Liverpool. It is just not working for them at the moment in the midfield and attack. They lose most of their flair and pace without Sturridge. Balotelli is a liability for them at the moment - he is keeping the ball for too long, slowing down their attack a lot, he is not taking active part in the deep pressing of Liverpool, and he simply doesn't seem to fit Rodgers' football philosophy. Besides that, Coutinho is totally out of form, and he is another key player who can give penetration and rhythm to Liverpool attack. The new signings in attack have zero contribution so far. All in all, Liverpool doesn't create even 1/3 of the chances they used to create last year. So, if Basel takes the lead and decided to defend it, I see it very hard for Liverpool to quickly get back in the game and make the over 2.5 happen.

Re: FC Basel v Liverpool > Wednesday October 1st I'm not quite enthusiastic about goals either. Liverpool look toothless without Sturridge and it won't change over night. If they struggle in PL, how can they do better in CL. Ask Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City how things were for them last round, and Liverpool themselves had hell of a night against Ludogorets. Basel are not as strong as they were under Yakin but they have experience at this level. PL teams are way overrated in CL so I'm happy to go against them. My bets: Basel +0.5, Under 3 FT, CS 1-1 FT